Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

Because of course it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Shocked. Never saw this one coming.

The state of public projects in the City is beyond a joke, now. Each and every one of them delayed or in limbo. They get absolutely nothing done. If it weren't for private spending this city would be in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The state of public projects in the City is beyond a joke, now. Each and every one of them delayed or in limbo. They get absolutely nothing done. If it weren't for private spending this city would be in the dark ages.

12 tower cranes currently in Cork, zero public money has gone into any of the projects they are active on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Got this from Julie O'Leary today:

Dear Friends,

There have been a number of planning applications for great new developments in the past number of weeks.

-a 17 storey apartment block on the South Link near Rockborough Road, a 25 storey apartment tower on Albert Quay and 34 storey hotel on the site of the Port of Cork Buildings

You can help encourage new development like this. Email your councillor and tell them why you signed this petition. You should do this because if politicians only hear from NIMBYS and objectors, that's who they will listen to and they will continue to object to new and progressive developments. Suggested email:

Hi X,

I am delighted to see planning application for new buildings in the Port of Cork area, in particular new mid-rise apartment buildings near the city centre. I hope you will support more new developments like this so that we can avoid urban sprawl, improve public transport and decrease traffic.

Yours sincerely,

Your constituent.

You can find email addresses for all your councillors here: https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/councillors-and-democracy/meet-your-councillors/?pageNumber=2

Lord Mayor: john_sheehan@corkcity.ie

Leader of FG Group: descahill30@gmail.com

Leader of SF group: thomas_gould@corkcity.ie

Leader of Green group: dan@danboyle.ie

Thanks

Julie O'Leary

I've emailed them, and added a bit about Dunkettle.

Fair play Julie - at least someone is pushing for progress. (Never met the lady in my life and I have no political affiliations at all.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dbu wrote: »
    So what's the bet the next accepted tender is for the same cost, maybe a bit higher with inflation in a year's time, the worse than expected beyond conditions don't magically fix themselves and will still drive up the cost, and in the meantime the region is many millions worse off because of traffic delays in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The government has long ago abandoned Cork from an infrastructure point of view. Crucial projects like Dunkettle (now on the long finger) and CMATS (with its ludicrous timelines) that have little support or urgency demonstrate how far down the list Cork is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The government has long ago abandoned Cork from an infrastructure point of view. Crucial projects like Dunkettle (now on the long finger) and CMATS (with its ludicrous timelines) that have little support or urgency demonstrate how far down the list Cork is.

There is one small sliver of light (and it's a very minor positive!) is that the horror congestion in Dublin has caused the public to become more aware and more in favour of public / sustainable transport. There has been some modal shift in the city.
    I know many people don't have options other than the car, but many choose to drive because it's currently more convenient.

No carrot and all stick isn't ideal, but maybe there will be a very minor positive.

There is one small sliver of light (and it's a very minor positive!) is that the horror congestion in Dublin has caused the public to become more aware and more in favour of public / sustainable transport. There has been some modal shift in the city.
    I know many people don't have options other than the car, but many choose to drive because it's currently more convenient.

No carrot and all stick isn't ideal, but maybe there will be a very minor positive.

While people might be aware of it, it isn't an election issue. And we still have small vested interest groups who can kill public transport initiatives stone dead like Wilton road and the Patrick St bus lane (I know the bus lane is technically in effect but in reality it has failed).

Dublin people have used (absolutely filled) buses all along. They have used the LUAS to near capacity, from the moment it opened. Same with Dart and commuter rail.

Dublin should be a prime example that there is no stick needed, people will use efficient public transport if it is provided.
    By efficient I mean that though, Cork has a wholly inefficient system of (up to fairly recently) almost EVERY bus route going into the city centre requiring a bus change unless you were lucky enough to be going the route on the far end. There were no orbital routes or connection hubs outside of a gridlocked city centre not designed for busses.

Dbu wrote: »

This is a joke, they estimated more than likely on norms, those estimates change in detailed survey/design. Apparently the depths they had to drill to hit hard rock was significant, I heard 50 meters but that's hearsay

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    Got this from Julie O'Leary today:

Dear Friends,

There have been a number of planning applications for great new developments in the past number of weeks.

-a 17 storey apartment block on the South Link near Rockborough Road, a 25 storey apartment tower on Albert Quay and 34 storey hotel on the site of the Port of Cork Buildings

You can help encourage new development like this. Email your councillor and tell them why you signed this petition. You should do this because if politicians only hear from NIMBYS and objectors, that's who they will listen to and they will continue to object to new and progressive developments. Suggested email:

Hi X,

I am delighted to see planning application for new buildings in the Port of Cork area, in particular new mid-rise apartment buildings near the city centre. I hope you will support more new developments like this so that we can avoid urban sprawl, improve public transport and decrease traffic.

Yours sincerely,

Your constituent.

You can find email addresses for all your councillors here: https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/councillors-and-democracy/meet-your-councillors/?pageNumber=2

Lord Mayor: john_sheehan@corkcity.ie

Leader of FG Group: descahill30@gmail.com

Leader of SF group: thomas_gould@corkcity.ie

Leader of Green group: dan@danboyle.ie

Thanks

Julie O'Leary

I've emailed them, and added a bit about Dunkettle.

Fair play Julie - at least someone is pushing for progress. (Never met the lady in my life and I have no political affiliations at all.)

For a county that has high ranking politicians in FF and FG, its scandalous that no cork project is progressing. These TDs need to take a long hard look at themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Dublin people have used (absolutely filled) buses all along. They have used the LUAS to near capacity, from the moment it opened. Same with Dart and commuter rail.

Dublin should be a prime example that there is no stick needed, people will use efficient public transport if it is provided.
    By efficient I mean that though, Cork has a wholly inefficient system of (up to fairly recently) almost EVERY bus route going into the city centre requiring a bus change unless you were lucky enough to be going the route on the far end. There were no orbital routes or connection hubs outside of a gridlocked city centre not designed for busses.

Apologies I should have been clearer, as namloc1980 says above, I mean more in an attitude / political context. Cork people have reasonably high attachment to their cars. I'd suspect the fact that much of what was de facto City was being run as County up until May was a factor in this. The satellite towns are little car-first mecca's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

For a county that has high ranking politicians in FF and FG, its scandalous that no cork project is progressing. These TDs need to take a long hard look at themselves

I haven't lived in Cork for a long time so this really is no longer my place to comment.
    However in my opinion they should pay at the ballot box. Coveney in particular as Tanaiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

nyck04 wrote: »
    I haven't lived in Cork for a long time so this really is no longer my place to comment.
    However in my opinion they should pay at the ballot box. Coveney in particular as Tanaiste.

And that's exactly why we tend to get the politicians we deserve...
    (I say that as a Cork man, living in Cork)
    Tii are there to get best value for the state,
    The courts and legal system is a mind f#@k,
    And bam aren't much better...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some more renders of the 34 story custom tower. Taken from reddit but they took it from skyscrapercity who looked through the planning. Looks great and with the other towers built around it would look brilliant. Love the one that shows the Elysian and the tower near eachother from the hill! The size difference haha. Apparently there’s 68 files uploaded on the planning other then these few!!

https://imgur.com/a/E2nTuzI?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Some more renders of the 34 story custom tower. Taken from reddit but they took it from skyscrapercity who looked through the planning. Looks great and with the other towers built around it would look brilliant. Love the one that shows the Elysian and the tower near eachother from the hill! The size difference haha. Apparently there’s 68 files uploaded on the planning other then these few!!

It's a pity that the renders don't show the Penrose Dock/Quay and Horgan's Quay developments in their completed state. I think the Docklands Tower fits in much better in that context. Ideally, you'd be able to see it with the Prism and Sextant development too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was driving down MacCurtain St. last night for the first time in ages and it struck me how much of the open space at the end of the street was now taken up by the new developments. Previously you'd have only seen sky between the coliseum and the buildings opposite, but now the entire space is bridged roof to roof by development. I guess that kind of change is something we'll have to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

cantalach wrote: »
    It's a pity that the renders don't show the Penrose Dock/Quay and Horgan's Quay developments in their completed state. I think the Docklands Tower fits in much better in that context. Ideally, you'd be able to see it with the Prism and Sextant development too.

100% agree. In fact that could set the whingers off foaming at the mouth again. A few different renderings showing the potential of the all the proposed tall buildings in that area along side the custom house tower would have been great. Especially a night shot.

Still great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

cantalach wrote: »

This should be it by 2030.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

TheChizler wrote: »
    Was driving down MacCurtain St. last night for the first time in ages and it struck me how much of the open space at the end of the street was now taken up by the new developments. Previously you'd have only seen sky between the coliseum and the buildings opposite, but now the entire space is bridged roof to roof by development. I guess that kind of change is something we'll have to get used to.

It's quite striking. I like the way it makes McCurtain St. seem more enclosed, and more part of the city centre, rather than just being the road out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

This should be it by 2030.

Those flew up in absolutely no time. Between 2008 and 2012 they built 22 skyscrapers (150+ metres).

swampgas wrote: »
    It's quite striking. I like the way it makes McCurtain St. seem more enclosed, and more part of the city centre, rather than just being the road out of town.

McCurtain Street is great. Has a good vibe and nice establishments. However it's absolutely ruined by the overwhelming priority given to cars. Narrow footpaths and standing traffic spewing out toxic fumes really takes from it. Cork could be a truly great city if priority was given to people and not to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

McCurtain Street is great. Has a good vibe and nice establishments. However it's absolutely ruined by the overwhelming priority given to cars. Narrow footpaths and standing traffic spewing out toxic fumes really takes from it. Cork could be a truly great city if priority was given to people and not to cars.

And they are making it 2-way I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The bus lane on McCurtain Street is basically one long parking space, it never seems to be policed.

The bus lane on McCurtain Street is basically one long parking space, it never seems to be policed.

Untill recently it was a part time bus lane...(rush hours only), so using it as a loading bay, short term parking, taxi pick up point, take away pick up, was / is seen as acceptable, usually it'd only be a couple of cars sticking on their hazards at rush hour, (I'm just stopping for a few mins) but that's sticking a bollard in the middle of the bus lane.. And for bikes the road is a disaster... The lanes are narrow, (think about how traffic weaves around double parking, bikes aren't really on their radar...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Untill recently it was a part time bus lane...(rush hours only), so using it as a loading bay, short term parking, taxi pick up point, take away pick up, was / is seen as acceptable, usually it'd only be a couple of cars sticking on their hazards at rush hour, (I'm just stopping for a few mins) but that's sticking a bollard in the middle of the bus lane.. And for bikes the road is a disaster... The lanes are narrow, (think about how traffic weaves around double parking, bikes aren't really on their radar...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cork could be a truly great city if priority was given to people and not to cars.

Unless Cork has suddenly become a mecca for driverless cars, presumably those vehicles all carry....people?

I'll agree that McCurtain St is a disgrace though, starting with the laughable bus lane which usually contains ~10 parked cars at rush hour - enforce the **** out of it! And Irish Water......Jesus Christ lads, get the job finished!

I'll agree that McCurtain St is a disgrace though, starting with the laughable bus lane which usually contains ~10 parked cars at rush hour - enforce the **** out of it! And Irish Water......Jesus Christ lads, get the job finished!

And carrying said people through the city to the south of the river, as there is no ring road and a completely blocked (delayed) Dunkettle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It looks great from all angles apart from coming up the river where TBH I don't like it at all. Still, it won't happen. ABP will never allow this to go ahead, or they will, but at about 15 floors only, and then it'll just look stupid.

Advertisement