Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

It looks great from all angles apart from coming up the river where TBH I don't like it at all. Still, it won't happen. ABP will never allow this to go ahead, or they will, but at about 15 floors only, and then it'll just look stupid.

I wonder at how many reduced floors does it become unviable?

It looks great from all angles apart from coming up the river where TBH I don't like it at all. Still, it won't happen. ABP will never allow this to go ahead, or they will, but at about 15 floors only, and then it'll just look stupid.

It'll look just fine when al other buildings are incorporated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Agreed- the face to the sea should be a "ships prow" - thin vertical linear bits - not a large thick brick. Personally I would refuse it on that basis - this thing would be permanent.

Actually, just looked at it again, it looks lovely on the riverscape. It's the surrounds which look delapidated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Actually, just looked at it again, it looks lovely on the riverscape. It's the surrounds which look delapidated

Its okay and will do the job as the saying goes but they could have been a bit more brave and went for something like the Burj Al Arab incorporating the huge maritime past and it sure would have been stand out and iconic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Its okay and will do the job as the saying goes but they could have been a bit more brave and went for something like the Burj Al Arab incorporating the huge maritime past and it sure would have been stand out and iconic.

That would be the Burj Al Arab that cost 1 billion to build in the mid 90's? An iconic structure is going to cost money than anybody is willing to invest in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

snotboogie wrote: »
    That would be the Burj Al Arab that cost 1 billion to build in the mid 90's? An iconic structure is going to cost money than anybody is willing to invest in Cork.

Ah but we wouldn't use any gold in our one. :-)

OK, so let them knock the protected structures causing it to be restricted in its footprint?

We can not have it everyway. It is limited in foot print, because of the warehouses and custom house, and is flaring out a bit to counter that so there is no scope to have a tapered edge, without losing even more floorspace

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A number of crashes on the N40 this evening causing massive delays. Over an hour according to Google to get to the tunnel. A couple of crashes and the city grinds to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A number of crashes on the N40 this evening causing massive delays. Over an hour according to Google to get to the tunnel. A couple of crashes and the city grinds to a halt.

3 separate crashes, all going Westbound on the N40. I really dont know what people be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The rectangle of the Lower Glanmire Road, South City Link, N40 and JLT is all red on Google Maps. Rain always seems to compound the situation too

A point well made about the North Ring is there is currently no Lee crossing outside the city that’s suitable for a motorway volume of traffic. The JLT is a single point of failure and if there’s ever an incident on the N40/JLT that requires a lengthy closure there’s no real redundancy available.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Decision on Railway Gardens by 4th December from ABP

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305173.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

CHealy wrote: »
    3 separate crashes, all going Westbound on the N40. I really dont know what people be doing.

I sometimes see people on their phones, even texting in cars. Should be stiffer fines for that if caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    Planning permission has been granted for a controversial, 26-dwelling apartment complex on the site of the former Glenanaar pub on the Boreenmanna Road. The plan includes seven studio apartments, 10 one-bedroom apartments, and nine two-bedroom apartments, in one three-storey and one four-storey block, with a communal garden.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Planning-permission-is-granted-for-a-controversial-car-free-apartment-block-on-the-site-of-the-former-Glenanaar-Bar-6ab22440-249c-4605-96a5-ca5c1e86c52d-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

marno21 wrote: »
    The rectangle of the Lower Glanmire Road, South City Link, N40 and JLT is all red on Google Maps. Rain always seems to compound the situation too

A point well made about the North Ring is there is currently no Lee crossing outside the city that’s suitable for a motorway volume of traffic. The JLT is a single point of failure and if there’s ever an incident on the N40/JLT that requires a lengthy closure there’s no real redundancy available.

Yes that was bad tonight. The crashes were westbound, so westbound traffic backed up to Dunkettle and then the roundabout blocked up which caused eastbound traffic to back up beyond Kinsale road. Then all of the through-town routes clogged up as people avoided them.

I just went for a haircut instead of going home and then did some shopping. When I'd finished the traffic was almost gone. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Does anyone know what’s being built on Lower John Street. Site had been cleared and concrete being poured.

I presume apartments of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

namloc1980 wrote: »

Still nothing compared to the evening a few years ago where a (literal) puddle on the approach to the tunnel caused the whole city to be gridlocked until about 9pm!

Just shows how important it is to bring in high quality road infrastructure capable of handling large amounts of traffic - right namloc?! ;):p:)

Still nothing compared to the evening a few years ago where a (literal) puddle on the approach to the tunnel caused the whole city to be gridlocked until about 9pm!

Just shows how important it is to bring in high quality road infrastructure capable of handling large amounts of traffic - right namloc?! ;):p:)

No, close the tunnel permanently. That will force people to use public transport :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

mrpdap wrote: »
    Does anyone know what’s being built on Lower John Street. Site had been cleared and concrete being poured.

I presume apartments of some kind.

Mentioned a while back when I asked, see earlier post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

CHealy wrote: »

That happened last Wednesday evening too...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

No, close the tunnel permanently. That will force people to use public transport :pac:

Áhem, where would the public transport go? Hover craft up and down the river and estuary?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Áhem, where would the public transport go? Hover craft up and down the river and estuary?

Hey that's not the point. No roads means better public transport

Hey that's not the point. No roads means better public transport

Where we're going we don't need roads..??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

If we insist on not providing Decent public transport, and then encourage and then reward dispersed development, we're going to be stuck in a loop,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

We pretty much ARE stuck in that loop IMO.

We pretty much ARE stuck in that loop IMO.

We are stuck in that loop because they are developing in the hinterland with no public transport, no park and rides and no North Ring Road (so pushing traffic into the city which has no want to be there).

They are copping on, planning wise, with high density starting to appear in the city centre and limiting planning on the outskirts.

Little Island housing development rejected due to insufficient density

Proper order IMO. Detached houses beside a major employment area makes little sense.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/75-house-estate-in-Little-Island-is-refused-planning-permission-as-the-site-can-hold-much-more-homes-b24fc6a5-3e6e-4bc2-93c4-0e12920a9e43-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Markcheese wrote: »
    That happened last Wednesday evening too...

Another Super Mario Kart pile up today. People can't drive a 6" nail through a pound of butter. Thank fcuk I don't drive that way anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup another one westbound today backing traffic up to the tunnel and causing issues for eastbound traffic trying to force their way through jammed cars on Dunkettle.

Last night it was the haircut, today I went and got some cream for a sore foot and the traffic was half gone by the time I'd finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

marno21 wrote: »
    Little Island housing development rejected due to insufficient density

Proper order IMO. Detached houses beside a major employment area makes little sense.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/75-house-estate-in-Little-Island-is-refused-planning-permission-as-the-site-can-hold-much-more-homes-b24fc6a5-3e6e-4bc2-93c4-0e12920a9e43-ds

Have to say fair play ABP.

Their basically saying go away and come back with a proposal showing 2 or 3 times as many dwellings in the same area. The days of sprawling housing estates near the city are over. Look at Dublin? Its basically a gigantic 3 bed front and back garden housing estate with a little city center in the middle.

Advertisement