Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Have to say fair play ABP.

Their basically saying go away and come back with a proposal showing 2 or 3 times as many dwellings in the same area. The days of sprawling housing estates near the city are over. Look at Dublin? Its basically a gigantic 3 bed front and back garden housing estate with a little city center in the middle.

Lots of higher density being planned and to a lesser extent built in Dublin since the fast track planning scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

View from the front train station entrance yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

5 storeys of student apartments. Refused by city council, refused by An Bord Pleanala inspector but then approved by the board. It's too big for the site. Ruins the entrance to the park. The sort of development we'll be regretting for decades. But, you know, profits to be made.

Work has started on the site, imagine the aim is to have them ready for the start of the new college term in 2020. Still have difficulty imaging a 5 story building there.

488923.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is a big headline in the Echo today

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Light-rail-for-Leeside-dismissed-Better-chance-of-seeing-Elvis-in-Cork-than-a-Luas-16b284b3-ae53-4c8c-a436-e986ec2f6d43-ds

Of course the NBRU are lobbying for a bus based rapid transit system in the city, as it would be operated by their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He's not wrong.

Anyone who believes Cork will ever get a tram is in dreamland. They will only ever exist in politicians' promises and artists impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

fiload wrote: »
    View from the front train station entrance yesterday

What are they building there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

cantalach wrote: »
    It's a pity that the renders don't show the Penrose Dock/Quay and Horgan's Quay developments in their completed state. I think the Docklands Tower fits in much better in that context. Ideally, you'd be able to see it with the Prism and Sextant development too.

https://twitter.com/alexpetcucolan/status/1163951722030653441?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Whats with the stupid red rendering for the proposed 25 storey building on Albert quay? Are they trying to make this look bad or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Whats with the stupid red rendering for the proposed 25 storey building on Albert quay? Are they trying to make this look bad or what?
    Maybe just trying to highlight the location of their building in the image rather than a true representation of the planned colour?

He's not wrong.

Anyone who believes Cork will ever get a tram is in dreamland. They will only ever exist in politicians' promises and artists impressions.

That is a distinct point from the deeply cynical statement by the trade unionist. He is ridiculing the concept, you are ridiculing the chance of implementation. There is a big difference there. Its shocking that he can get away with statements like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A pity that this one was knocked on the head. Would have looked smashing.

http://kioskarchitects.com/gemini-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

snotboogie wrote: »
    That is a distinct point from the deeply cynical statement by the trade unionist. He is ridiculing the concept, you are ridiculing the chance of implementation. There is a big difference there. Its shocking that he can get away with statements like that

He's entitled to his opinion.
    Who's going to stop him? You?
    Lol.

He's entitled to his opinion.
    Who's going to stop him? You?
    Lol.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you gave me a "moneys no object choice" I'd put in a metro system.. Through out the city
    BUT...... If I had to get the most bang for my buck, I'd be going with Brt.. Ballincolig to mahon via the train station, Douglas to Mayfield (well north side any way, and a North ring / n 40 Brt...
    To start with....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He's rediculing the concept as just an election stunt. I dont think anyone is rediculing the concept itself.

Theres zero chance very low improbability of it being delivered in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

He's rediculing the concept as just an election stunt. I dont think anyone is rediculing the concept itself.

Theres zero chance very low improbability of it being delivered in our lifetime.

However there is a chance of getting quality bus corridors in place which will really help get people onto public transport.
    I'm currently spending time in Cambridge which has a city population of 100,000 and a total population of around 150,000. There are 4 quality park and rides and a quality bus corridor. The city is extremely pro cycling and there is even a high rise bike park next to the main train station. There is also a bike park in the main shopping centre.
    There are minor traffic bottlenecks at peak times but overall traffic flows as people are prepared to use public transport and bikes. Cork could do worse than take a good look at Cambridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

nyck04 wrote: »
    However there is a chance of getting quality bus corridors in place which will really help get people onto public transport.
    I'm currently spending time in Cambridge which has a city population of 100,000 and a total population of around 150,000. There are 4 quality park and rides and a quality bus corridor. The city is extremely pro cycling and there is even a high rise bike park next to the main train station. There is also a bike park in the main shopping centre.
    There are minor traffic bottlenecks at peak times but overall traffic flows as people are prepared to use public transport and bikes. Cork could do worse than take a good look at Cambridge.

Which is what we should be pressing for in Cork, not pie in the sky (in an Irish context) stuff like light rail.
    Cheap "quick win" would be enforcement of the parking in cycle lanes.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Does anyone know what they're going to build in Douglas village across from the credit union? They've cleared a decent sized site for it.

Does anyone know what they're going to build in Douglas village across from the credit union? They've cleared a decent sized site for it.

I saw the question asked on skyscraper city and somebody pulled up the below planning permission:

1) Demolition of dwelling 2) Alterations to elevations to include roof lights and construction of a storey and a half extension to the rear of 3 no. dwellings 3) Construction of 4 no. two and half storey townhouses and all associated site works

No 07/08/09/10 St Anthony's Villas
    Douglas West Street
    Douglas
    Cork

It looks like a very big site for four townhouses

opus wrote: »
    Work has started on the site, imagine the aim is to have them ready for the start of the new college term in 2020. Still have difficulty imaging a 5 story building there.

488923.jpg

Do you know how many beds are planned? Or the name of the development? I don't think that I have this one in my updates.

• Advertisement

Do you know how many beds are planned? Or the name of the development? I don't think that I have this one in my updates.

Had a look at the planning map & this is it. A previous poster said it was 5 story but look like 4 going by that.

Permission for the demolition of existing dwelling shed and boundary wall and the construction of 10 no. apartments ranging in size between 3-5 bedrooms (over four floors) for student accommodation and associated ancillary development works including signage pedestrian access bicycle parking bin store landscaping and amenity areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Passed by today. They have some pretty heavy machinery in there for a small-ish site. Might try to get back there tomorrow for a pic - although uploading pics here is a pain.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

A pity that this one was knocked on the head. Would have looked smashing.

http://kioskarchitects.com/gemini-cork/

Thats really good. I assume this was a 2007 end-of-days proposal? Much better than the proposed Metropole design, which is as bad if not worse than the way it looks at the moment IMO

I cant view those files if the design isnt hideous its nice to see a bit of active living there, overlooking the lane and excellently connected to college, marydke fitz park and the greenway into town and out to lee fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

Which is what we should be pressing for in Cork, not pie in the sky (in an Irish context) stuff like light rail.
    Cheap "quick win" would be enforcement of the parking in cycle lanes.

If you use a bus lane in Cambridge you get a fine. I've made that mistake and had to pay £45 for the privilege. Won't make the mistake again.

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I cant view those files if the design isnt hideous its nice to see a bit of active living there, overlooking the lane and excellently connected to college, marydke fitz park and the greenway into town and out to lee fields.

This is the side facing the park.

489123.png

That'll look tired before its even complete.
    Why they couldn't have gone faux Georgian on the facade escapes me, it's a block of a low building with yellow brick so would have been easily done and lent itself to the houses up the Well and the University itself

For sure, it's a pretty ugly design in my opinion, not too dissimilar from the things that have blighted the area around Victoria Cross.

This is the side facing the park.

489123.png

Thanks for that. Fairly yuck alright though. Hope for some ok landscaping at least then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    Plans for an extra 80 apartments on a major new residential development on Horgan's Quay have been lodged with An Bord Pleanala. HQ Developments are currently building a new hotel and office development close to Kent Station. As part of their original application the company, a joint venture between Clarendon Properties and BAM Ireland, received permission for 216 apartments.The new residential block by HQ Developments viewed from the Port of Cork.The new residential block by HQ Developments viewed from the Port of Cork.They now want to increase this number to 302 residential units along with ground-floor retail and a creche.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Developers-plan-to-significantly-increase-the-number-of-apartments-on-Horgans-Quay-site-bdd6da67-d976-4710-b842-3aa45ab989c1-ds

Advertisement