Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Residents-group-say-they-will-strongly-oppose-the-planned-new-South-Link-apartment-development-f934b963-4705-4364-87b5-dd7b419e5f32-ds?fbclid=IwAR3V37sPWv5giR8QDu3tBcthUk4WAiC7wlJ1M0TlwgS-C5-nP_YL6Y3HCQc

Residents don't like the Railway Garden plans.
    we believe this proposal, in its scale and density, would be disastrous to the existing residents of the area, many of the residents who would be housed in the development and to the wider city in the long term. The residents said the decision to provide no parking for residents of the 118-apartment tower was “baffling and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sounds like they're imagining themselves in the apartments without access to parking rather than someone who doesn't own or need a car. Must read the submission, but what negative effect could a carless development have on the local residential area? Bigger queues for the bus to Mahon?

I'll be one of those residents in a few weeks and I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Passed a house on Wilton road after work that had over 100 people queuing out the door. Found the daft ad online. €210 a week for a room without an en-suite in a house share with 4 others and parking for 2 cars max. Bus stop out side and ad promoted this bus stop and fact it was walking distance to CUH and UCC.
    That Railway Gardens development will clean that area up. Currently that bridge is a no go area with the winos drinking at the start of it. Rockboro Rd also feels unsafe.
    I just bought few hundred meters of this site and would welcome it.
    Not everyone has a car nor want a car. The area is pay parking and residents of this development or any other apartment are not entitled to residents parking permits so with proper parking enforcement this is a none issue. The residents against should petition their reps to enforce parking bylaws. I heard it mentioned main petitioner was an East Cork living artist 🙄.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I heard it mentioned main petitioner was an East Cork living artist ��.

That's probably the same Gobshlte objecting to the 34 floor tower. Maybe it ruins his vibes or his chakra.

The simple question for objectors is we either build up or we build out and make the same mistake as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sounds like they're imagining themselves in the apartments without access to parking rather than someone who doesn't own or need a car. Must read the submission, but what negative effect could a carless development have on the local residential area? Bigger queues for the bus to Mahon?

I'll be one of those residents in a few weeks and I'm all for it.

parking presumably. Not all residents will be carless

• Advertisement

okedoke wrote: »
    Apartment residents don’t get parking permits for street parking. Anyone whom chooses to live here will do do know there is zero car parking with it. People talk about the Elysian as an example. That was built with 1 parking space per apartment. So if 3 people are sharing a 3 bed unit then only one gets parking. People are obsessed with cars. If someone wants to live in a city center and walk to work then that’s their choice. If they have a car then move to Ballincollig or Midleton or suburbia and commute into city to pay up their car in a pay parking lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

okedoke wrote: »
    Maybe some would be silly enough to own a car when they can't possibly get a permit, might be naive and think they could get away with it in the evenings.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Maybe some would be silly enough to own a car when they can't possibly get a permit, might be naive and think they could get away with it in the evenings.

Then residents should be lobbying their council reps to have proper parking enforcement. That would solve that.

Then residents should be lobbying their council reps to have proper parking enforcement. That would solve that.
    Turkeys voting for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Appalling set of excuses laid out by people who should be ashamed of themselves. Blocks like these are incentives to not have a car which will then reduce traffic , not increase it. Such housing blocks should have went up 10 years ago , if they did we may not be in this mess.

Dublin produces some of the worst traffic congestion in Europe for choosing to not erect essential tower blocks like the one proposed for south link. Their problems will soon be ours if we listen to people who only care about themselves and couldn't give a rats ass about the future development of cork.

Trust me , young professionals do not want to exist in house share with 3 others sharing one chitter. The housing scene is an absolute nightmarish hellscape at the moment , and unless such blocks are passed and erected , it will only get worse , Dublin worse. Not of us want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

MrDerp wrote: »
    As for the ratty old sign? Iconic me arse.
    Passed it today, ratty old sign describes it perfectly. It isn’t iconic at all. Oliver and the Greens can store in their back garden if they value it so much, it wouldn’t be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

Burty330 wrote: »
    Appalling set of excuses laid out by people who should be ashamed of themselves. Blocks like these are incentives to not have a car which will then reduce traffic , not increase it. Such housing blocks should have went up 10 years ago , if they did we may not be in this mess.

Dublin produces some of the worst traffic congestion in Europe for choosing to not erect essential tower blocks like the one proposed for south link. Their problems will soon be ours if we listen to people who only care about themselves and couldn't give a rats ass about the future development of cork.

Trust me , young professionals do not want to exist in house share with 3 others sharing one chitter. The housing scene is an absolute nightmarish hellscape at the moment , and unless such blocks are passed and erected , it will only get worse , Dublin worse. Not of us want that.

but, but, my car... there's hills, and sometimes rain, and i'm too lazy to take my gym gear out of my car....
    Plus i need my car so I can have something to show the neighbors that I have made it, by having a piece of plastic on the front with a later number than theirs, and I need a front lawn, so I can have a better lawnmower than theirs AND greener grass, plus my lawn and new car provide great chit chat at the watercooler....

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Passed it today, ratty old sign describes it perfectly. It isn’t iconic at all. Oliver and the Greens can store in their back garden if they value it so much, it wouldn’t be missed.

Great sign, marks the entrance to Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Apartment residents don’t get parking permits for street parking. Anyone whom chooses to live here will do do know there is zero car parking with it. People talk about the Elysian as an example. That was built with 1 parking space per apartment. So if 3 people are sharing a 3 bed unit then only one gets parking. People are obsessed with cars. If someone wants to live in a city center and walk to work then that’s their choice. If they have a car then move to Ballincollig or Midleton or suburbia and commute into city to pay up their car in a pay parking lot.

I've lived in 2 apartments in the Elysian, a 2 bed and a 1 bed, and both had 2 spaces per apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mrpdap wrote: »
    Great sign, marks the entrance to Cork city.

I like that sign too.
    However having that simple opinion would seem to mark me as anti progress, anti building upwards and a general eejit!

We aren't allowed to like that sign.

Thing is, I wouldn't hold up development over this sign but I don't see why it can't be preserved.
    I also see no reason to not ensure that there will be public access in the future.
    True, there was no access previously but why not ensure that there is, in the future?

Every request and question of the plans is not, in itself, anti progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

I like that sign too.
    However having that simple opinion would seem to mark me as anti progress, anti building upwards and a general eejit!

We aren't allowed to like that sign.

Thing is, I wouldn't hold up development over this sign but I don't see why it can't be preserved.
    I also see no reason to not ensure that there will be public access in the future.
    True, there was no access previously but why not ensure that there is, in the future.

Every request and question of the plans is not, in itself, anti progress.

Spot on, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

mrpdap wrote: »
    Spot on, well said.

Agree with this. I do think this sentiment comes from a lot of recent history in Cork with developments that have stumbled at the last minute for various reasons, particularly the event centre. I think everyone wants to see things just happen, and does want some little condition or fight to draw things out, complicate them and, potentially, though unlikely as it may be, see more developments fall down in Cork. Any news that isnt a step forward is unfortunately a worry in the long suffering hearts of Corkonians. Customs House is as big a development as has been offered since Atlantic Quarter a decade ago.

I am fine with the sign, liked it as a kid but it needs a major clean up/ revamp if its to stay. I would be just as happy to see something else thats similar like 'Welcome to Cork city' there instead.

TBH I have a bigger issue with the flat front of the proposed design, compared to the triangular design of the original draft proposal, and that weird conservatory at the front of the bonded warehouse, if I had free reign to get out the red pen those are things I would like to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-is-a-blank-canvas-for-tall-buildings-say-developers-of-New-York-skyscrapers-0db8d425-a175-4130-bf24-51b980e1bcd7-ds

These developments really are bizarre, I suppose it's good that they are still courting media attention but bad there is no mention of a start date for the Prism.

• Advertisement

If I were them I would look to save on economies of scale by building both, in tandem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Agree with this. I do think this sentiment comes from a lot of recent history in Cork with developments that have stumbled at the last minute for various reasons, particularly the event centre. I think everyone wants to see things just happen, and does want some little condition or fight to draw things out, complicate them and, potentially, though unlikely as it may be, see more developments fall down in Cork. Any news that isnt a step forward is unfortunately a worry in the long suffering hearts of Corkonians.
    Just speaking myself, that isn't the case, nothing to do with any stalled developments, or relating it to anti-progress (some easily dented ego's are about).
    It's just a sign, with Port of Cork on it. The OTT sentimentally of it is what I refer to. If it was gone tomorrow, I doubt many would notice, even more wouldn't care (like the port itself going).

Just speaking myself, that isn't the case, nothing to do with any stalled developments, or relating it to anti-progress (some easily dented ego's are about).
    It's just a sign, with Port of Cork on it. The OTT sentimentally of it is what I refer to. If it was gone tomorrow, I doubt many would notice, even more wouldn't care (like the port itself going).

Hold the fvck on: Is this the crappy sign you are talking about? A few scaffold poles and small plain sign?
    489901.JPG
    If so... Oh FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If I were them I would look to save on economies of scale by building both, in tandem.

Ultimately wouldn't be much of a saving in comparison to the cost of the projects.

Port of Cork site will probably be used to provide a site office compound, parking and storage for the Prism, can even take its bulk deliveries there. And that same compound can then be used for Custom tower. But other then that they are very different developments so there wouldn't be much cross over of resources.

The tendering for Prism was ment to be out recently but dosnt seem to have been sent out yet.

Hold the fvck on: Is this the crappy sign you are talking about? A few scaffold poles and small plain sign?

If so... Oh FFS

Yes, that's the sign.
    No one except people on here like you are making a big deal of this. Just some people expressing the view that they would like it to stay.
    I like it.
    It's historic.
    I'd like to see it stay.
    Does that really upset you so much?

It's historic.

What year was it put there? 1960? Historic or 1800s historic :rolleyes:.... Its no Hollywood sign....

What year was it put there? 1960? Historic or 1800s historic :rolleyes:.... Its no Hollywood sign....

It's there as long as I can remember.
    Historic enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

For years one of the letters was not even displayed on the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually the Hollywood sign is a decent analogy,
    Its relatively recent, not of any amazing construction, people (when they notice it) kinda like it, it's a minor local landmark...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

That version of the sign (blue background with four flagpoles) is early-mid 2000's (about the time of city of culture maybe?)

I remember a different one (white background) looking older and quite shabby before replacement. EDIT: In fact I don't think the previous one even said "Port of Cork" I think it said "CORK PORT".

Advertisement