Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

zetalambda wrote: »
    Exactly. Once planning is granted for this proposal and the Ford site next to PUC, it pretty much guarantees the viability of an east-west transport corridor using the old railway line.

Not without a fight and objections from walkers and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not without a fight and objections from walkers and cyclists.
    Or at least a genuine look to see does an alternative route exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

zetalambda wrote: »
    Exactly. Once planning is granted for this proposal and the Ford site next to PUC, it pretty much guarantees the viability of an east-west transport corridor using the old railway line.

No it does not. Cork will need a lot more densification than two projects to make a fixed public transport corridor viable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mire wrote: »
    No it does not. Cork will need a lot more densification than two projects to make a fixed public transport corridor viable

Chicken and egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

You're right. It doesn't guarantee it's viability but a couple of large-scale developments adjacent to the planned east-wast transport corridor will create a tipping point at which time, actual plans for either a tram or rapid bus service can be set in motion. And these aren't the only projects currently planned along that corridor, just the largest ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You've got to start somewhere, and if the above go ahead and more development follows, it'll strengthen the case for LRT. I much prefer these developments to more semi Ds in Glanmire or Carrigaline with "proximity to M8/M28" in big writing on billboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

marno21 wrote: »
    You've got to start somewhere, and if the above go ahead and more development follows, it'll strengthen the case for LRT. I much prefer these developments to more semi Ds in Glanmire or Carrigaline with "proximity to M8/M28" in big writing on billboards.

Yup that's what we need. More fcuking cars!

Never thought I'd agree with Mire...
    :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yup that's what we need. More fcuking cars!

Never thought I'd agree with Mire...
    :p

You must have misread my post! I said that dense developments along rapid transit corridor(s) are much more preferable to large scale housing developments in satellite towns with motorway commuting encouraged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You must have misread my post! I said that dense developments along rapid transit corridor(s) are much more preferable to large scale housing developments in satellite towns with motorway commuting encouraged!

My bad

My fear is "dense" development in mahon will just stretch the available density along the corridor from point A to B, resulting in unsustainable density on both.
    With both being without services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is there any update on what's planned for Tivoli docks? I see pre-planning consultation closed a year ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/25-storey-apartment-block-planned-for-Mahon-52cd8c00-5253-482b-bc33-ae4c072f7f47-ds

Media finally picked up on the Mahon project, using probably the worst two images I've seen of it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some amusing comments on the Echo facebook page. I hope it has a fire escape and it will ruin the estuary are two of the stand out comments. They should get a job with An Taisce!

snotboogie wrote: »
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/25-storey-apartment-block-planned-for-Mahon-52cd8c00-5253-482b-bc33-ae4c072f7f47-ds

Media finally picked up on the Mahon project, using probably the worst two images I've seen of it as well
    Given the one sided wankfest the Examiner & Echo had about the M28 and how the sky was going to fall in Rochestown and Douglas after it was built, this isn't surprising.

Extremely disappointing carry on from them. If they were this bad when independently owned god help us when they come under the control of the anti-development wing of the Irish Times.

A nice change of viewpoint by the Echo in their latest article, which I must commend. Fair play

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/High-rise-apartment-plan-welcomed-b91a7f65-c2d6-43d4-b87e-b35833c74e48-ds

Btw, has anyone called it "Mahon-hattan" yet? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm all for development of Jacobs Island, would help service the businesses out there with people (who can afford it) able to rent close to work. Already has the no.8 servicing it, with the Skehard Rd works hopefully going to improve the traffic flow for public transport there.

That said - wasn't a development shot down recently in that area by local councillors stating that it would create a bubble with people charging extortionate rents. That's a fairly vague recollection of it but I remember there being a fairly dumb reason for it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rents in Jacobs Island arent all that cheap at the moment.

I'd imagine the rent for those new apartments would be more expensive than whats being charged at the moment.

2 bed apartments in Jacobs Island are about €1,400 a month, going by Daft.

Similar apartments are up for sale for €235k to 245k.

The Haven, the complex closer to Mahon Point, a 3 bed duplex is going for €235k and a 2 bed is going €180k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Something will need to be done with traffic in the area.

The current setup should not have been allowed. Jacobs Island should be served by a different bridge which should have no access to the SRR. This would give residents a safe and lowly trafficked way out of Jacobs Island and into Mahon.

At the same time, this would have allowed the current junction to have been built as a free flow trumpet like Bloomfield. The way it is now is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Collio729

Just saw a sign telling people to object to the 25 story tower

Collio729 wrote: »

Where ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Collio729 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Why?

You're not doing it right unless someone objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It’s most likely somebody from like Bishopstown or The Lough or something objecting to it even though they aren’t from the area. Like there really isn’t any developments around there to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

It was me

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm all for development of Jacobs Island, would help service the businesses out there with people (who can afford it) able to rent close to work. Already has the no.8 servicing it, with the Skehard Rd works hopefully going to improve the traffic flow for public transport there.

That said - wasn't a development shot down recently in that area by local councillors stating that it would create a bubble with people charging extortionate rents. That's a fairly vague recollection of it but I remember there being a fairly dumb reason for it at the time.

Good job it’s gone straight to ABP under the new scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A nice change of viewpoint by the Echo in their latest article, which I must commend. Fair play

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/High-rise-apartment-plan-welcomed-b91a7f65-c2d6-43d4-b87e-b35833c74e48-ds

Btw, has anyone called it "Mahon-hattan" yet? :p

Estuary Tower
    Mahonhattan
    New Cork City.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Collio729

The sign was put up on the walking cycling track next to jacobs island. I have a picture of it but dont know how to attach it if anyone would like to show me how lol (im new). It stated that it would result in a huge increase in traffic, and privacy concerns over people overlooking into their homes from the tower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

snotboogie wrote: »
    Lot's of housing getting announced now; Mahon, Cobh and Blackpool all in the last week?  I just hope that these don't go the same way as the student apartments: Only 34 new student bed spaces delivered since 2016 I know we will have the BAM and UCC apartments coming around next year but given the huge volume of announcements to much fanfare in the last two or three years it's still shocking. I'd say less than 20% of student apartments that got planning in this time have actually started construction. Hopefully the Crows Nest and the Square deal start soon....

Any information on the Cobh plan? 350 more cars on the small roads around the town will be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Something will need to be done with traffic in the area.

The current setup should not have been allowed. Jacobs Island should be served by a different bridge which should have no access to the SRR. This would give residents a safe and lowly trafficked way out of Jacobs Island and into Mahon.

At the same time, this would have allowed the current junction to have been built as a free flow trumpet like Bloomfield. The way it is now is a mess.

Completely agree. Our friends have moved from Jacobs Island for that exact reason - they felt completely 'trapped' during the busy shopping season, Christmas, Cork on Ice and rainy Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Rents in Jacobs Island arent all that cheap at the moment.

I'd imagine the rent for those new apartments would be more expensive than whats being charged at the moment.

2 bed apartments in Jacobs Island are about €1,400 a month, going by Daft.

Similar apartments are up for sale for €235k to 245k.

The Haven, the complex closer to Mahon Point, a 3 bed duplex is going for €235k and a 2 bed is going €180k.

The supply will have to increase for the older apartments prices to go down both from a sale and rental perspective I'd imagine/hope. The lack of supply to the rental market is allowing people to charge 1400 for 2 beds and the bubble currently being experienced for 2nd hand housing is only going to be abated by affordable housing being created.

Went to a viewing in Jacobs Island a year ago, apartment put up for 180k by DNG Creedon, it was a frenzy, people giving verbal agreements to 220k as I was leaving and it was at that point I decided that I wouldn't be able to buy for a minimum of two years.

I'm one of those people who could probably just about afford something now, but would be getting bent over on a 2nd hand housing market that's inflated dramatically in the past 24months. Not worth it IMO so going to wait and see.

Advertisement