Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I see the Abbey Theatre is getting an €80m cheque by the department to be redeveloped. I suppose lucky for them they’re in the right city. No questions asked.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/80m-facelift-for-abbey-theatre-moves-closer-960643.html

Lol they say the building is 50 years old....and how old is the building where the Everyman is.....older than 50 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Couple of small updates:

Permission has been granted for almost 500 new homes in Douglas

I like this one, decent density by suburban Cork standard, good public transport links, contiguous with the city....

Office space development in Eastgate gets planning
    This scheme has planning permission for 130,000sq ft of office space divided across three buildings which have the potential to link and create an overall campus.

I didn't even know this was up for planning, it's a decent size too, just over half the size of Penrose Dock. It is a bit Celtic Tiger in it's location but the specs look nice...

City Hall considering a boardwalk development for Patrick's Quay

I like this proposal but unfortunately it's just a proposal.

Work finally, finally set to start on the Crows Nest next month too

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Interesting episode aired tonight of Nationwide all about Cork with interviews with Micheal O'Flynn, Cork Chamber and the city council. Available on the iPlayer now

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

rounders wrote: »
    Interesting episode aired tonight of Nationwide all about Cork with interviews with Micheal O'Flynn, Cork Chamber and the city council. Available on the iPlayer now

Rehash of same aul sh1te we've been hearing for 2 years now, " city rising", "very exciting times" " on the cusp of something big...". No public investment going on though from what I see. Where's the train connections improvements to Cobh, new railway connections north, bus investment, public realm improvements...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rehash of same aul sh1te we've been hearing for 2 years now. No public investment going on though from what I see.

And then at the very end of the episode Michael O' Flynn says "I'd be worried about Cork in the short to medium term" - eh ok :confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Rehash of same aul sh1te we've been hearing for 2 years now. No public investment going on though from what I see.

Never forget, when Coveney and the others are looking for votes in the General Election, that in the 9 years of this FG government not a single public project of any large scale significance has been started anywhere in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

snotboogie wrote: »
    Office space development in Eastgate gets planning

I didn't even know this was up for planning, it's a decent size too, just over half the size of Penrose Dock. It is a bit Celtic Tiger in it's location but the specs look nice...

I'm laughing that it got planning: it's pretty much the single sentence that is the Co Co overall business plan "jam more units into Eastgate". I enjoyed reading this bit:
    In addition the Cork/Midleton and Cobh commuter trains are located within minutes’ walk from the development.
    Numerous bus routes serve both the city centre and surrounding suburbs.
    The NTA know that the crompán roundabout is a death trap for pedestrians, that the recent narrowing of the footpaths to facilitate more cars couldn't have passed any proper safety audit, and that there's almost no chance that bus will be used because of the distance of the current bus stop from the estate. The lack of funding and unwillingness to promote sustainable corridors (bus/footpath/cycleway) on the island are the cherry on the cake.

Edit: local businesses and the Cork Chamber have been explicitly asking the NTA to fund sustainable transport in Little Island, but they're really digging their heels in. Zero funding available.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I'm laughing that it got planning: it's pretty much the single sentence that is the Co Co overall business plan "jam more units into Eastgate". I enjoyed reading this bit:

The NTA know that the crompán roundabout is a death trap for pedestrians, that the recent narrowing of the footpaths to facilitate more cars couldn't have passed any proper safety audit, and that there's almost no chance that bus will be used because of the distance of the current bus stop from the estate. The lack of funding and unwillingness to promote sustainable corridors (bus/footpath/cycleway) on the island are the cherry on the cake.

Edit: local businesses and the Cork Chamber have been explicitly asking the NTA to fund sustainable transport in Little Island, but they're really digging their heels in. Zero funding available.

Not being able to cycle safely to LI from the city centre is an absolute farce, it just goes to show the car centric mentality of the CC.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Not being able to cycle safely to LI from the city centre is an absolute farce, it just goes to show the car centric mentality of the CC.

Yes agreed.
    There's space to do a route relatively cheaply most of the way. South of the Tunnel Entrance, crossing over the railway where the N8 crosses over the railway and south of the Dunkettle/Tivoli Roundabout.

It's anyone's choice whether the cycleway should be to the north or south of the Tivoli Dual Carriageway, but with footpaths on both sides of the road and a wide median, the space is currently available.

On the topic of the Tivoli Dual Carriageway. There's a footpath with a 100kmh sign on it. It's all in the city. It's 60kmh at one side and a roundabout at the other. it's gridlocked at rush hour. Surely it's a candidate for bus lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What would change all that very quickly would be if parking space requirements were dropped if a decent public transport plan was put In place..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Chaos in the city this evening. N40, South link, lower glanmire road all at a standstill.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Chaos in the city this evening. N40, South link, lower glanmire road all at a standstill.

What's the latest on CMATS? Anyone?
    Another paper tiger for Cork.

What's the latest on CMATS? Anyone?
    Another paper tiger for Cork.

Nothing. Meanwhile €1bn has been announced in the last few weeks for 3 road schemes in Mayo, Adare Bypass and Macroom bypass. Government transport policy continues to be road and car centric, despite the rhetoric about sustainable transport.

Interesting that €500m has been found for the Adare bypass. Limerick well have a serious motorway network, much better than Cork. We can't get the Dunkettle scheme off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All of this.

I laughed at the thought of more cars coming on to that roundabout. I have to cross that roundabout as a pedestrian morning and evening, luckily the amount of cars able to flow from non-eastgate means can cross alright in evening.

The bus line is a joke, what multiple bus routes are they? The 261 and 241? I lived in carrigtwohill until recently, my quickest way home was train to city and bus out. I'd be home by 4.45 driving, or 5.30 on train/bus. In cobh now so trains only is handy. But to claim bus routes as a positive is a farce.

Wonder what the recent cork chamber survey did to change any thoughts. I'll have a guess

Mushy wrote: »
    All of this.

I laughed at the thought of more cars coming on to that roundabout. I have to cross that roundabout as a pedestrian morning and evening, luckily the amount of cars able to flow from non-eastgate means can cross alright in evening.

The bus line is a joke, what multiple bus routes are they? The 261 and 241? I lived in carrigtwohill until recently, my quickest way home was train to city and bus out. I'd be home by 4.45 driving, or 5.30 on train/bus. In cobh now so trains only is handy. But to claim bus routes as a positive is a farce.

Wonder what the recent cork chamber survey did to change any thoughts. I'll have a guess

All the County Council care about is rates. Those big offices will have lovely juicy rates. If it takes the people working there an hour to get off the island to get home, the council don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Except that if affects all of our lives, it would be laughable.

A bunch of transition year students would do a better job at planning and decision making in this city.

Mushy wrote: »

It looks like the chamber are fighting very hard.
    Businesses also, seem close to unanimous in requesting more sustainable transport.
    But ultimately the NTA don't want to know: there is no funding available for Little Island sustainable transport.

Simultaneously a billion euro of roads schemes have been announced around the country this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

The large & small apartment developments happening on Millerd St & Henry St are almost touching each other. Maybe you'll be able to climb out one window & in another to go between them!

494220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

But ultimately the NTA don't want to know: there is no funding available for Little Island sustainable transport.

Speaking of Little Island, did the upgrades and widening of the roads either side of An Crompán roundabout generally sort out the gridlock?

I know there was an issue with the lights from the graveyard direction not changing and they didn't bother to put signs up about the changes to the lanes.

But other than that, I don't really hear anymore about the gridlock that was the norm down there every weekday, due to the previous bottlenecks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Speaking of Little Island, did the upgrades and widening of the roads either side of An Crompán roundabout generally sort out the gridlock?

I know there was an issue with the lights from the graveyard direction not changing and they didn't bother to put signs up about the changes to the lanes.

But other than that, I don't really hear anymore about the gridlock that was the norm down there every weekday, due to the previous bottlenecks.

Yeah it seems to flow better alright. Think if get caught coming westbound in mornings it can be harder to get on to roundabout though, cos there's just a constant flow of higher volume traffic coming across the bridge. I guess that was always gonna happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

opus wrote: »
    Was jogging out the Douglas Road this morning & noticed that piece of land across from the Texaco garage has been sold, presume it ripe for residential development.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/10m-douglas-seven-acre-site-sale-905995.html

Happened a while ago, assume you already knew and wanted to make a "I go jogging" post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Oops I missed that, post removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

opus wrote: »
    Oops I missed that, post removed.

Yeah, the fact that there are 4,160 previous posts on this thread is no excuse for missing important news like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When is Five Guys coming to Cork?

And any more word on what happened to those rumours about IKEA opening somewhere near Carrigtwohill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

JupiterKid wrote: »

And any more word on what happened to those rumours about IKEA opening somewhere near Carrigtwohill?

Those IKEA rumors are years old at this stage, If they'd wanted to set up in carrigtohil they'd be there already...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

And wasn't there something about Avoca setting up ?

IKEA in Cork ain't happening. They confirmed it themselves a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

IKEA launched nationwide delivery this time 2 years ago and with it ended any reason to open another store anywhere outside Dublin.

You can get anything they sell online delivered nationwide for between €10-€74.
    And with larger orders on a specified day and timeslot, via private delivery companies who have contracts for each of the provinces.

There's no more reason to bring the shops closer to the people, when the shop is now at the tip of your finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

IKEA launched nationwide delivery this time 2 years ago and with it ended any reason to open another store anywhere outside Dublin.

You can get anything they sell online delivered nationwide for between €10-€74.
    And with larger orders on a specified day and timeslot, via private delivery companies who have contracts for each of the provinces.

There's no more reason to bring the shops closer to the people, when the shop is now at the tip of your finger.

But the meatballs :(

Advertisement