Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

D'Agger wrote: »
    The supply will have to increase for the older apartments prices to go down both from a sale and rental perspective I'd imagine/hope. The lack of supply to the rental market is allowing people to charge 1400 for 2 beds and the bubble currently being experienced for 2nd hand housing is only going to be abated by affordable housing being created.

Went to a viewing in Jacobs Island a year ago, apartment put up for 180k by DNG Creedon, it was a frenzy, people giving verbal agreements to 220k as I was leaving and it was at that point I decided that I wouldn't be able to buy for a minimum of two years.

I'm one of those people who could probably just about afford something now, but would be getting bent over on a 2nd hand housing market that's inflated dramatically in the past 24months. Not worth it IMO so going to wait and see.

Stalking the property register at the moment and an apt in jacobs island was on daft for 235k and sold for 210 this month

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Rfrip wrote: »
    D'Agger wrote: »
    The supply will have to increase for the older apartments prices to go down both from a sale and rental perspective I'd imagine/hope. The lack of supply to the rental market is allowing people to charge 1400 for 2 beds and the bubble currently being experienced for 2nd hand housing is only going to be abated by affordable housing being created.

Went to a viewing in Jacobs Island a year ago, apartment put up for 180k by DNG Creedon, it was a frenzy, people giving verbal agreements to 220k as I was leaving and it was at that point I decided that I wouldn't be able to buy for a minimum of two years.

I'm one of those people who could probably just about afford something now, but would be getting bent over on a 2nd hand housing market that's inflated dramatically in the past 24months. Not worth it IMO so going to wait and see.

Stalking the property register at the moment and an apt in jacobs island was on daft for 235k and sold for 210 this month
    On related train of thought - I asked an estate agent last week where bidding was on a property he had on fact for 245. He said most recent bid was 307. Fair enough. But then the next day the price on date went up...but only to 290. What's with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

snotboogie wrote: »
    Under Construction

89-90 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18'

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in December 18'
    B502Gdo.gif

And before anyone asks, yes I am licenced/Insured and had permission to fly ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Council have tendered for substantial footpath work on Centre Park Road

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=132733&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

Must mean no movement on the big ticket upgrade anytime soon.

marno21 wrote: »
    Council have tendered for substantial footpath work on Centre Park Road

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=132733&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

Must mean no movement on the big ticket upgrade anytime soon.
    Marina park is delayed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

PLANS for a 15-storey office building in the heart of Cork city have received the support of the City Architect and the Deputy Chief Executive of Cork City Council despite objections to the building's height from heritage body An Taisce and a senior planner.

[...]

While they approved the proposed height of the building, both Mr Duggan and Mr Ledwidge said further information should be sought from the developers on the extent of the transparency of the glazing system the building will have. City Hall has also requested further information on traffic and visual impact issues.Tower Holdings now has six months to comply with the further information request after which City Hall will have four weeks to make a decision.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Support-for-15-storey-building-in-the-centre-of-Cork-a52c47b7-97da-456f-88ee-51d85268202c-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The people objecting to the proposed Prism building are unable to offer any alternative. They would it seems rather it remains a run down empty site to be used by junkies and rats beside the main public transport hub than a modern building bringing investment and jobs to the city. The objection culture in Cork and Ireland in general is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The people objecting to the proposed Prism building are unable to offer any alternative. They would it seems rather it remains a run down empty site to be used by junkies and rats beside the main public transport hub than a modern building bringing investment and jobs to the city.   The objection culture in Cork and Ireland in general is a joke.
    To me it looks like the objections are limited, you have An Taisce who couldn't care less about the economy of the city, a mysterious senior planner and then nothing, everybody else of consequence is coming out in support. Surprisingly, even looking at the Facebook comments on that article, the vast majority of local people are behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

The people objecting to the proposed Prism building are unable to offer any alternative. They would it seems rather it remains a run down empty site to be used by junkies and rats beside the main public transport hub than a modern building bringing investment and jobs to the city. The objection culture in Cork and Ireland in general is a joke.

Ireland has a planning system that allows for people to make objections; I don't have a problem with this. From my perspective, people making objections in this case are absolutely entitled to do so. I would tend to disagree with their position but that doesn't mean that I think that they should be silenced. Quite often people making submissions actually do some service -they often end up encouraging higher standards and keep developers on their toes. This is no harm. By the way I'm not sure that anyone making the submission on the site has suggested that the site should be left as it is. I'm not particularly excited by this scheme, as many people seem to be, but I really hope it gets permission and it would be disappointing if there are two or four floors taken off just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

mire wrote: »
    Ireland has a planning system that allows for people to make objections; I don't have a problem with this. From my perspective, people making objections in this case are absolutely entitled to do so. I would tend to disagree with their position but that doesn't mean that I think that they should be silenced. Quite often people making submissions actually do some service -they often end up encouraging higher standards and keep developers on their toes. This is no harm. By the way I'm not sure that anyone making the submission on the site has suggested that the site should be left as it is. I'm not particularly excited by this scheme, as many people seem to be, but I really hope it gets permission and it would be disappointing if there are two or four floors taken off just for the sake of it.

Having a system that allows objections is good I never suggested otherwise. I was referring to the objection culture that exists where anything new is objected to often without sound reason. An Taisce have objected as they don't like tall buildings anywhere it doesn't matter if it's a good idea they just object. If no tall building is agreed here the site will remain empty as nothing else is viable on such a small site.
    When Horgans Q was objected to it was withdrawn once the developer engaged with the Port about concerns in this instance that's when the system worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I said this before, but the Prism is actually a bit of a test building by the O'Sullivan brothers.

They have built a load of skyscrapers in New York and are now planning buildings in Ireland. They have also bought Custom House Quay where the two channels of the River Lee meet. They are planning an even larger building than Prism for that key site (although we have yet to see the actual plans or designs).

If Prism gets through the planning process and they manage to build it then it should augur well for Custom House.
    That said I would expect an even larger debate about building heights and heritage issues when it comes to the Custom House Quay.

The NTA will shortly publish a Cork Transport Strategy (usually covers 15-20 years) which will outline strategic investment priorities for transport in Cork (bus, rail, cycling, pedestrians, roads). They published one for Dublin in 2015 - here https://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-policy/greater-dublin-areatransport-strategy-2016-2035/ - which has led to a number of projects being advanced (4 Luas lines, Metro, DART Expansion, BusConnects, various cycling projects)

This should really help the PT situation in Cork and give some clear direction as to where investment will be pushed in coming years. I expect FINALLY to have a policy based programme for new railway stations and enhanced fleet in Cork (some REALLY obvious locations for commuter rail stations in Cork).

I look forward to this as it will finally see Cork having some sort of plan for public transport instead of the disorganised mess at present.
    Is there any update on this? 
    How does this fit with the docklands development plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Pitcairn wrote: »
    I said this before, but the Prism is actually a bit of a test building by the O'Sullivan brothers.

They have built a load of skyscrapers in New York and are now planning buildings in Ireland. They have also bought Custom House Quay where the two channels of the River Lee meet. They are planning an even larger building than Prism for that key site (although we have yet to see the actual plans or designs).

If Prism gets through the planning process and they manage to build it then it should augur well for Custom House.
    That said I would expect an even larger debate about building heights and heritage issues when it comes to the Custom House Quay.

The 40 storey building they have planned for Anderson quay is very ambitious. I think they plan on restoring the old bonded warehouses to their former glory, so I can't see why An Taisce or anyone else would have an objection. They'll probably be burned down in the next few years, if nothing happens on that site, as we have seen with plenty of other historical buildings around cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Meursault wrote: »
    The 40 storey building they have planned for Anderson quay is very ambitious. I think they plan on restoring the old bonded warehouses to their former glory, so I can't see why An Taisce or anyone else would have an objection. They'll probably be burned down in the next few years, if nothing happens on that site, as we have seen with plenty of other historical buildings around cork.

The bonded warehouse still operates as a bonded warehouse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The bonded warehouse still operates as a bonded warehouse.

An Taisce have them down as vacant - has something changed recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

An Taisce have them down as vacant - has something changed recently ?

Maybe I'm out of date an that.

They were still in use up to fairly recently afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Definitely parking there but I wouldn't have thought those buildings were in use (He said, completely judging a book by its cover).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I was walking by navigation square and saw people working on those bonded warehouses the other day, on the outside of them. Not sure what exactly they were doing.

However, doesn’t the 40 story tower wish to keep those warehouses, do them up and have them connected to the tower in some way? That’s how the image looked anyway

I was walking by navigation square and saw people working on those bonded warehouses the other day, on the outside of them. Not sure what exactly they were doing.

However, doesn’t the 40 story tower wish to keep those warehouses, do them up and have them connected to the tower in some way? That’s how the image looked anyway
    Yes, it proposes to keep them and clean them up. Not sure about connection to the new building

Perhaps we might get "bonded warehouse huggers" in Cork like the tree huggers during the N11 dualling through Glen of the Downs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mire wrote: »

My planner friends tell me they within the Council take absolutely no notice of objections whatsoever. They will decide the application on its merits.

The whole 'objection' charade is just throwing Joe Pubic a bone and to make the public feel involved.

If an application is refused it ain't because of the objections but because it breached planning guidelines and was not suitable in the first place.

• Advertisement

Is there any update on this? 
    How does this fit with the docklands development plan?
    No update I'm afraid. Looks like Cork BusConnects is #3 behind Dublin and Galway at the minute.

Roads update July 2018:

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: Tender for this project has been awarded to Sisk. Preliminary works by the contractor will begin on site in Q4 2018 with full construction in Q1 2019. The scheme is expected to take 3/4 years to complete due to the complex traffic management involved.

M20 Cork-Limerick: This tender process for the design and planning of this scheme went out in April with route selection and initial design expected to begin in September 2018. The project, if approved, will likely start around 2022 and open in 2025/2026

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney: The prequal stage of this is now complete with invitations to tender being sent out in July 2018. At present, a tender award is expected (but not confirmed) in Q2 2019 with a start soon after. Completion is expected to take 3 years.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project will be sent for appraisal in 2018 and if it merits will be prioritised for delivery. The scheme was at route selection stage when suspended.

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was approved in full by An Bord Pleanala in July 2018, and Cork County Council intend to begin land purchase and issue tenders for advance works in late 2018. However, a local militant anti-motorway group in Rochestown intend to seek a judicial review on the project, which in their belief will lead to the destruction of their community and widespread health issues due to noise and air pollution, although their solution is to route the motorway through Ballinhassig instead which would add around €400m to the cost of the project and add upto 25km of a round trip for vehicles.

M40 Motorway Reclassification and ITS Upgrade: TII & Cork County Council are currently engaged with consultants on this which would see motorway regulations being applied to the N40 and ITS equipment ("smart motorway" equipment) including display VMSs being installed on the length of the M40 and approach roads such as the N27 and N71. The study is ongoing with phased implementation expected on an as of yet unknown timescale.

M40 North Ring Road East: This project was included in the National Development Plan and will be reactivated if there is a requirement to connect the M20 to the motorway network around Cork. The road remains a priority for people on the Northside (including Apple) but not to central Government.

R624 Cobh Road dualling: Cork County Council are applying to DTTAS to have this road upgraded to a national road and a portion of dual carriageway built along its length which will involve the construction of a 2nd dual carraigeway bridge onto Great Island. The project will be initially appraised under DTTAS new appraisal guidelines, with no timescale yet for delivery.

The remaining national road schemes in Cork, N22 Macroom-Ovens (bypassing Lissarda and Ovens), N25 Midleton-Youghal (bypassing Lakeview Roundabout, Castlemartyr and Killeagh, M40 North Ring Road West and N71 dualling all remain suspended.

No update I'm afraid. Looks like Cork BusConnects is #3 behind Dublin and Galway at the minute.

I got a pamphlet in the door at home which implied that the Patrick street car ban was the start of Busconnects. It also mentioned the infamous rapid transport corridor from Mahon to Ballincollig too. I’m just pretty confused how busconnects, the docklands development plan, the North Docks plan, South docks plan, Tivoli docks plan, height rezoning for the 40 storey and the BRT all tie in together.

I got a pamphlet in the door at home which implied that the Patrick street car ban was the start of Busconnects. It also mentioned the infamous rapid transport corridor from Mahon to Ballincollig too. I’m just pretty confused how busconnects, the docklands development plan, the North Docks plan, South docks plan, Tivoli docks plan, height rezoning for the 40 storey and the BRT all tie in together.

Any chance you could throw up that pamphlet? Or point to it online, I haven't seen it.

BusConnects won't be published until after the Cork Transport Strategy as the CTS will be the policy foundation for it.

The rest of the above stuff is all city council stuff, but it'll be interesting to see how the land use plans are reflected in the CTS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I also got that pamphlet. Something like cork coty with a big green light on the front or something. Don’t have it with me now but I also thought it was the start of bus changes

I believe BusConnects will be designed around whatever's in the Cork Transport Strategy, along with the local area plans for areas of intense development. Patrick Street will likely be a core corridor anyhow.

Open to correction on that but I believe that's the most likely.

Light rail? CART , if you will. Better chance of Cork hosting Olympics I'd say.

Light rail is inevitable for Cork given its growth.

I'd like to see some sort of Leerail or equivilant branding on the future Cork commuter network and the future light rail system. Mallow-Midleton/Cobh and Ballincollig-Mahon or whatever is planned

The NTA Cork Transport Strategy will include some new railway stations on Mallow-Middleton which is good news.

Light rail is inevitable for Cork given its growth.

I'd like to see some sort of Leerail or equivilant branding on the future Cork commuter network and the future light rail system. Mallow-Midleton/Cobh and Ballincollig-Mahon or whatever is planned

The NTA Cork Transport Strategy will include some new railway stations on Mallow-Middleton which is good news.
    See that's the vision I have and why I'm looking to buy a gaf and move from Dublin. But I just don't know... What's different about the planners and city Council now as opposed to previously to actually 'plan'?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Light rail? CART , if you will. Better chance of Cork hosting Olympics I'd say.

Well, it's a good job they never proceeded with the suggestion to run a spur off the DART line to Dublin airport, which is located in Fingal. The FART! :D

Advertisement