Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/era-of-investment-to-drive-bright-future-for-small-business-in-cork-965901.html
    Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade Simon Coveney told a group of 40 Cork business people to expect Cork to have 15 to 40 new 50-storey buildings, a new light rail system on wheels, completed M22 and M28 motorways, an enhanced Dunkettle Interchange and significant housing development in the coming years.

Ill believe it when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's got a lot of middle aged women excited, tagging their middle aged women friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

I take it at this stage, that politicans actually do believe that people are stupid and they would believe anything.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

"A new light rail system on wheels"...so buses, gotchya.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Drove past the Crows Nest site today. Hoardings are up and the row of houses has been cleared. The old pub is almost gone now too.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    "A new light rail system on wheels"...so buses, gotchya.

As opposed to a light rail system that doesn't have wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As opposed to a light rail system that doesn't have wheels?

BRT?..
    like the one in Belfast??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    BRT?..

Doesn't have rails.

What would be peoples wheeled rail routes of choice / practicality in Cork?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

40 fifty storey buildings! We'd be up with Shenzhen and Dubai at that rate. I'd take the Prism starting..

Interesting to see the covered street proposal again, like Clark Quay in Singapore. I believe Liam Casey was pushing for that 5 to 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

What's the story with lodging objections? Can you just stroll in off the street and object to a proposed building because you're having a bad day or looking for attention or do you actually have to build some sort of case for your objection with some sort of research or impact study or anything other than I object just because I feel like it?

Anyone can make an observation on a planning application once they pay the €20 fee. A lot of the recent developments in Cork had observations from other developers/companies eg One Albert Quay application had an observation from the Elysian Management. Sometimes observations are the only way 3rd parties have of making/suggesting changes.

You can only appeal to An Bord Pleanala if you're the original applicant or if you've already made an observation on the original planning application. So really there is no such thing as a last minute appeal that suddenly has popped out of nowhere.

Regarding serial objectors - one of the worst for this are local SuperValu stores (eg Clonakilty) objecting to a new Tesco / Aldi / Lidl but they don't seem to attract the same personalised attacks as individuals (possibly because they can afford solicitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

BRT?..

My wheel less rail system is also called BRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snotboogie wrote: »

Interesting to see the covered street proposal again, like Clark Quay in Singapore. I believe Liam Casey was pushing for that 5 to 6 years ago.

Always thought that would be a great street to cover. A good easy and cheap start to improve the street would be to stop cars driving down it. That could be done tomorrow if the will was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

100% on the covered street. Can't understand why someone didn't push this and get it done. It would create such a buzz around town and the street would be jointed.

I would start with the western end - from the GPO to the Grand Parade....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

snotboogie wrote: »
    40 fifty storey buildings! We'd be up with Shenzhen and Dubai at that rate. I'd take the Prism starting..

A bit of a bold statement to make from Simon. Hopefully one of the local journo’s ask him to elaborate on this. Hard to believe we have a queue of developers all wanting to build a pile of skyscrapers. Even if ten of them come to light it will be great nonetheless.

A bit of a bold statement to make from Simon. Hopefully one of the local journo’s ask him to elaborate on this. Hard to believe we have a queue of developers all wanting to build a pile of skyscrapers. Even if ten of them come to light it will be great nonetheless.

Its the inevitable tidal wave of objections is the problem. Appeal system needs to be completely overhauled to filter out a small minority of whingers who'd automatically object to anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Slightly different view of the developments around the Kent station from Summerhill North.

495965.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Its the inevitable tidal wave of objections is the problem. Appeal system needs to be completely overhauled to filter out a small minority of whingers who'd automatically object to anything new.

Correct me of I'm wrong but an objection of this nature doesn't necessarily add any delay to the decision? Objections incorrectly submitted or without merit will just be dismissed while the planners are making their decision anyway.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Correct me of I'm wrong but an objection of this nature doesn't necessarily add any delay to the decision? Objections incorrectly submitted or without merit will just be dismissed while the planners are making their decision anyway.

I actually don't know to be honest with you. I assume any objection has to be reviewed. No matter how petty or irrelevant. Open to correction here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Just took a pic of the new buildings there a short while ago.

495989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nyck04

Are there any plans to increase recreational maritime activities such as sailing when the port of Cork relocates?
    Can you imagine the impact on the city of having a large marina suitable for yachts near the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

nyck04 wrote: »
    Are there any plans to increase recreational maritime activities such as sailing when the port of Cork relocates?
    Can you imagine the impact on the city of having a large marina suitable for yachts near the city centre?

There are plans for more floating pontoons. One with the new upgrade of Albert Quay and I think another one facing Penrose Quay next to the new Port tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

There are plans for more floating pontoons. One with the new upgrade of Albert Quay and I think another one facing Penrose Quay next to the new Port tower.

Blackrock Castle have permission to reopen their boat gateway at the back and develop some sort of pontoon too, so boat traffic can stop off at the castle.

The nearest public slip is either in passage or monksTown I think..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

The nearest public slip is either in passage or monksTown I think..

There's slipways at Blackrock village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

calnand wrote: »
    There's slipways at Blackrock village.

Public slipway in Blackrock is essentially unusable other than close to high tide. With all the upgrade work they did a couple of years ago, they never actually dredged the harbour so for much of the day, the slipway is high and dry. There are slipways at Cork Boat Club but they are private.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There are slipways at Cork Boat Club but they are private.

Built with public money!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Blackrock Castle had its own little slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'd like to see the calculated current speeds for the proposed tidal barrier. I suspect that due to the fact that the barrier opening is far narrower than the natural channel, speeds will be elevated.
    This could make the barrier uncrossable much of the time for anything without a decent motor.

Advertisement