Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Has Anybody heard anything on the Prism ?

Yeah i'd also like to hear any further news on this myself. I thought it was supposed to be started by now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Outlet hit by setback

Looks like the county council putting the cart before the horse.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Outlet hit by setback

Looks like the county council putting the cart before the horse.

Hmm.

Tourist outlet village” is described as “a speciality form of retail and tourist destination that sells heavily discounted products not normally found on the high street

Wonder did that spook a few influential figures with a vested interest in keeping prices nice and level. I can only imagine the ferocious resistance Lidl and Aldi met when they landed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Railway Gardens approved by ABP as per Dan Boyle

https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1201512759072088064

Crane expected at Lancaster Quay shortly

https://twitter.com/RobertO39059645/status/1201216036391018497

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Examiner article on Railway Gardens approval:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/planning-permission-approved-for-17-storey-apartment-block-in-cork-city-967953.html

Subject to 30 conditions including no short term lettings, public realm improvements and no access to outdoor terrance between 10pm and 8am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Tbh I’m just happy that a lot of these high rises are being approved for cork even if they aren’t built (but would love to see). At least we know it is possible for our city. Still love the fact they were told that 13 stories was out of proportion and to increase it to 17

Has Anybody heard anything on the Prism ?

Very curious myself, surely youd think they would get this built to push on the custom house hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Still love the fact they were told that 13 stories was out of proportion and to increase it to 17

Thats absolutely brilliant. The exact opposite happens all the time seemingly, leaving us with stumpy stupid looking buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Even the Elysian tower could (IMO) could have been a few floors taller, and would be the better for it. It's fine from the North/South, but from the East/West it seems overly squat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm all for a higher skyline in the city.

I know it doesn't work well in some busy cities where daylight is blocked and streets can feel claustrophobic, but Cork does not have that problem.

Build up!

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Even the Elysian tower could (IMO) could have been a few floors taller, and would be the better for it. It's fine from the North/South, but from the East/West it seems overly squat.

As far as I know the Elysian was supposed to be 23/24 stories but there was a flurry of moaning so it got decreased to 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

marno21 wrote: »

Anyone know which development is this? I don't recall seeing the details on this thread previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Next to apartment development by ocp on Lancaster quay by bridge just past western road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but work has began on the redevelopment of the Rochestown Inn. Roads around it have also been resurfaced last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Yeah i'd also like to hear any further news on this myself. I thought it was supposed to be started by now. :confused:

Tenders went in last week.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/New-office-block-to-proceed-after-objection-is-declared-invalid-6f2aef12-7bf4-4823-b35f-28a9c75e41d6-ds

Absolutely great news that this serial objector has has their appeal thrown out.
    The submission to An Bord Pleanala on the development, which was lodged by hand, stated that “Penrose Quay, as designed, is not beautiful or exceptional”, and that it “is clearly not in proportion with the ‘old town’ city centre.”

“There is no great architecture evident in the design of Penrose Quay and no poetry in its conception and so this building simply doesn’t deserve to be built on this site,” the submission concludes.

The individual had appealed the development initially to Cork City Council in May this year, however, Bandon-based company Karamex Ltd. who are behind the plans were granted permission subject to 30 conditions.

Having been appealed to An Bord Pleanala, a final decision wasn’t expected until March next year. However, as the submission has now been deemed invalid it's expected to proceed as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Tomtom364 wrote: »

What's chances this is a site that will be flipped? Does do developer have any track record of delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

What's chances this is a site that will be flipped? Does do developer have any track record of delivering.

I have no info in that regard, but at least we dont have any more delays to finding out whether it flies or dies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    You make it seem like you're happy because they object to a few developments, rather than you actually disagree with their points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Shedite27 wrote: »
    disagree with their points.

What points exactly? How do you counter subjective opinions:
    not beautiful

Compared to what? Should it be beautiful? It's not being built in Gougane Barra.
    or exceptional

Why should it be exceptional? It's an office building.
    not in proportion with the ‘old town’ city centre.

So what? If proportion decided it then there'd be no buildings taller than a few stories.
    There is no great architecture evident

It's an office block not a museum.
    no poetry in its conception

That just sounds daft.

You'd wonder what exactly would please someone like that as an office block.

• Advertisement

You make it seem like you're happy because they object to a few developments, rather than you actually disagree with their points.

I'm delighted her silly notions have been dismissed. She seems to fit nicely as a type 2 serial objector. Here's my handy guide from a previous post:

I understand there is a need for an appeal system but it seems these appeals fall into two types:

1. Genuine appeals with actual work put into them to demonstrate a genuine concern.

2. Just being a pain in the hole, complaining about anything new or just looking for attention.

Well done ABP.

:pac:

Freely admit im happy this particular objection has been thrown out. I am all for a facility for people to object to developments. But even delaying, never mind stopping developments because one person thinks it's not pretty enough is an absolute joke.

Given the contents of this objection, it was purely subjective, and of other objections by the same party it is clear this was a nuisance objection and I'm delighted it had been deemed invalid.

The planning process for major developments being held up by individual objectors such as this costs the developers, the construction industry and ultimately the economy due to the weariness of outside investors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

This isn't an objection, it's an opinion piece. I can disagree with her all I like, but it doesn't make her opinion any less valid. In the context of development though, thankfully, it's irrelevant.

To be fair to ABP, they have become very progressive lately, in my humble opinion. I'd say they're pulling their hair our when they receive this type of objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The sooner the Morrison Island scheme goes ahead the better, it won't cost 6 million, probably double it...
    It currently floods frequently so no harm starting here, and if they do the quay improvements they're planning on from national funds then whoppee do,
    And when they extrapolate the cost up for the rest of the city it'll knock the rest of the project on the head,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Delighted that woman's nonsense objection has been thrown out. Can they not also throw out her equally ludicrous objection to the event centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

In a weird way, it is actually a sort of blessing that this person is a serial objector. It makes it harder for ABP to take her objections related to the event centre seriously when she is putting in nonsense objections to all other projects around town also.

ABP:

SHD consultation for O'Riordan's Joinery on Bandon Road (again!). This time 81 student apartments with 550 bed spaces. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306048.htm

SHD consultation for Old Fort Road Ballincollig for 121 apartments by O'Flynn Group. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306047.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Advertisement

Advertisement