Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I hope the last part of this article isn’t true. Talking about Custom House Tower and a quote ‘initially sketched at over 30 storeys’. Are they trying to say it’s going to be downscaled even further.? :confused:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/corks-boundary-extension-sees-city-grow-like-a-well-fed-child-973390.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I hope the last part of this article isn’t true. Talking about Custom House Tower and a quote ‘initially sketched at over 30 storeys’. Are they trying to say it’s going to be downscaled even further.? :confused:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/corks-boundary-extension-sees-city-grow-like-a-well-fed-child-973390.html

The latest date for the publication of the Docklands LAPs seems to be Q2 2020 according to that article. Only 2 or so years overdue!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Planning already gone in for 34 storeys so I’m guessing it’s a typo and it meant “ initially sketched at over 40 storeys”

marno21 wrote: »
    Planning already gone in for 34 storeys so I’m guessing it’s a typo and it meant “ initially sketched at over 40 storeys”

Good to hear. What would be the point if it got decreased even further. Another funny thing from the article, the city council director said they looked at dockland development in Dublin,Denmark,Sweden,Spain and UK. Did any of them think of Rotterdam. A cool practically brand new city. That should be the template.

Good to hear. What would be the point if it got decreased even further. Another funny thing from the article, the city council director said they looked at dockland development in Dublin,Denmark,Sweden,Spain and UK. Did any of them think of Rotterdam. A cool practically brand new city. That should be the template.

I'm hoping the only reason they looked at Dublin was to get an idea of how NOT to redevelop a docklands area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the only reason they looked at Dublin was to get an idea of how NOT to redevelop a docklands area.

Hopefully Cork will avoid what Dublin has become. Its all very positive. Prism to start soon from what the main man snotboogie was saying.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hopefully Cork will avoid what Dublin has become. Its all very positive. Prism to start soon from what the main man snotboogie was saying.

:)

I'm relying on TomTom (who correctly called the York Street Hotel) and the Independent :o

Lord Mayor showing leadership on sustainable travel anyway. Soon to be seen parked on a pedestrian area near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Easy to be a leader when you get it for nothing.

Ridiculous "tradition", free advertising for Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

There's a CPO for housing in Glanmire, whereabouts?
    Have they done anything with a huge acquisition of land , CPO, on the Northside. Western side of Ballyvolane, from Dublin hill across to the Mallow Road area? Then pushing rail network out that stretch of old Mallow road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Easy to be a leader when you get it for nothing.

Ridiculous "tradition", free advertising for Ford.

It did cost them a car so not entirely free, but youre not wrong on the substance, parochial guff

bingo9999 wrote: »
    It did cost them a car so not entirely free, but youre not wrong on the substance, parochial guff

Pretending to care about the environment, give the LM a free push bike altogether if they must.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Pretending to care about the environment, give the LM a free push bike altogether if they must.

Actually ,that's probably the best thing that could be done for transport in cork , if councillors ,city manager ,the mayor had to use public transport and bikes ( give them electric bikes) you'd see a lot more focus on getting people (not just cars ) moving around cork ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was up recently and tbh all they're missing is height in the buildings - the area around the bord gais arena is quite good - plenty of places to eat & stay, the IFSC the luas drops you to the door and theres a large hub of companies based there of which I'd imagine fúck all of their employees drive because (a) there's decent public transport servicing the area & (b) the focus on Cycling in Dublin is far better than Cork in the city - that's just an opinion however I've no stats to back that up.
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Actually ,that's probably the best thing that could be done for transport in cork , if councillors ,city manager ,the mayor had to use public transport and bikes ( give them electric bikes) you'd see a lot more focus on getting people (not just cars ) moving around cork ..

Came to post this - people bítching about a car being given - why not prod and poke the council to be issue Coke Zero bike subscriptions as a benefit of working for the City council, cheaper again that actually giving them bikes. Furthermore why aren't we complaining about the lack of foresight from a bike company like The Edge or somebody not doing what ford are doing here and jumping in for some free publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Works get underway on greenway in Cork

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Works-get-underway-on-greenway-in-Cork-d177f4e3-d393-4df2-9c3f-a5ae1e298ab9-ds

Clearance works begin on the old Youghal to Midleton line.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Marina Park.
    No mentions of expected completion dates.

I remember people were calling for it to be re-opened as a train service, but at least it's better to be doing something with the space, than leaving it as it is.

Plus, considering it's now €10.15 for a return ticket on the Cork Midleton line, I'd estimate a Youghal to Cork return train ticket would have been in the €18-20 range.
    Similar to the return bus tickets of €19 to Youghal and €11.40 to Midleton.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Works-get-underway-on-greenway-in-Cork-d177f4e3-d393-4df2-9c3f-a5ae1e298ab9-ds

I remember people were calling for it to be re-opened as a train service, but at least it's better to be doing something with the space, than leaving it as it is.

Plus, considering it's now €10.15 for a return ticket on the Cork Midleton line, I'd estimate a Youghal to Cork return train ticket would have been in the €18-20 range.

It could never be a rail line with the backwards thinking in this country, at local and national level, all climate change noises yet still wedded to the private car.

A greenway, shur it'll do.

It could never be a rail line with the backwards thinking in this country, at local and national level, all climate change noises yet still wedded to the private car.

A greenway, shur it'll do.

In 2008, they spent almost €100m on the Glounthaune to Midleton section. In 2020 the section from Midleton to Youghal would be €350m+

Any big industry in Youghal or Midleton - No. What little crowd traveling on it would be all one way. A total non-runner that would never be viable.

In 2008, they spent almost €100m on the Glounthaune to Midleton section. In 2020 the section from Midleton to Youghal would be €350m+

Any big industry in Youghal or Midleton - No. What little crowd traveling on it would be all one way. A total non-runner that would never be viable.

Are roads, even the ones going to nowhere free to build and maintain? Nope. Is this greenway free? People may like to imagine it is.

Does every station have to have a "big industry" to justify its existence? Might as well wipe most of Irish Rails network off the map. Lets hope everyone can afford an electric car to meet climate targets, oh wait they clog up the roads the same as a normal car.

A rail line extension to Youghal is a non-runner. Completely uneconomical and would be scarcely used. The cost alone would be north of €300m as pointed out. Especially when there are massive gaps in the public transport infrastructure in the city, spending that kind of money on a project like that would be insanity. If it ever were viable in the future at least the Greenway will ensure the assignment is preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

To be fair you only pay 10.15 if you pay with cash at the station. Just checking online and I see them selling tickets for 3.50 each way at the moment. Annual tax savers even cheaper again think it works out at about 18€ per week for those purchasing annual tax saver tickets. So if Youghal was realistic(it's not) then the annual tax saver would be closer to €28 per week would be my guestimate.

• Advertisement

If it ever were viable in the future at least the Greenway will ensure the assignment is preserved.

No it wouldn't. Once a greenway always a greenway. The lycra mafia would see to that.

No it wouldn't. Once a greenway always a greenway. The lycra mafia would see to that.

Better than a white elephant train line. As for lycra mafia? Well done, very clever. If you knew anything about cycling you'd know the "lycra mafia" as you say, do not use greenways. Generally these are primarily used by families, tourists and leisure cyclists and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

TBH I'm okay with the greenway. It could be argued that a rail line to Youghal would help improve it as a commuter town, help alleviate very bad traffic in Castlemartyr in the mornings but I don't fully believe that to be the case as people on that route are travelling from further afield.

Improvement of the existing rail services i.e. extension of operating hours with reduced fares (this is dream territory) for peak times and higher fares for late night commutes. Or movement towards 24 hour bus service as with the Ballincollig route though that's a city service and unlikely to happen. Either way, the point is, if commuter towns are to grow, then access to the city that is sustainable is the answer, yet we see no innovation or discussion of this by the powers that be

D'Agger wrote: »
    TBH I'm okay with the greenway. It could be argued that a rail line to Youghal would help improve it as a commuter town, help alleviate very bad traffic in Castlemartyr in the mornings but I don't fully believe that to be the case as people on that route are travelling from further afield.

Improvement of the existing rail services i.e. extension of operating hours with reduced fares (this is dream territory) for peak times and higher fares for late night commutes. Or movement towards 24 hour bus service as with the Ballincollig route though that's a city service and unlikely to happen. Either way, the point is, if commuter towns are to grow, then access to the city that is sustainable is the answer, yet we see no innovation or discussion of this by the powers that be

Why do we want commuter towns to grow? Especially Youghal given the distance to the city. Surely much more sustainable is having people live and work in close proximity to each other, not spending an hour traveling each way morning/evening. Dormitory towns are not a good development strategy as we can see in Dublin. No need to make the same mistakes they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Reopening the full line would be too expensive for limited benefit but would a P&R station 1.5km east of Midleton work with a new access road provided? It would reduce traffic travelling from east to west of Midleton and the car park could be used by greenway users at weekends which would attract people from further afield.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Reopening the full line would be too expensive for limited benefit but would a P&R station 1.5km east of Midleton work with a new access road provided? It would reduce traffic travelling from east to west of Midleton and the car park could be used by greenway users at weekends which would attract people from further afield.

I doubt there is going to be funding set aside for a CPO, a P&R and construction of an access road. I agree it would be a good location for one though however can't see the powers that be ever funding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I doubt there is going to be funding set aside for a CPO, a P&R and construction of an access road. I agree it would be a good location for one though however can't see the powers that be ever funding it.

It isn't something that could happen in the next year or two but could be part of a longer term plan. I'd be surprised if an eastern route around the town wasn't already a desire in development plans for the town. The town is to expand over the next few years so there will be contributions from developers and the government is providing funding for infrastructure which opens up land for housing through LIHAF. It's something that could be campaigned for now that could realistically happen, unlike extending the rail line to Youghal.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It isn't something that could happen in the next year or two but could be part of a longer term plan. I'd be surprised if an eastern route around the town wasn't already a desire in development plans for the town. It's something that could be campaigned for now that could realistically happen, unlike extending the rail line to Youghal.

Had a look at CMATS and there was no P&R for Midleton included in that. CMATS is in effect the long term plan out to 2040. Joined up thinking isn't a strong point in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Had a look at CMATS and there was no P&R for Midleton included in that. CMATS is in effect the long term plan out to 2040. Joined up thinking isn't a strong point in Ireland.

We do joined up thinking as good as anywhere else. The problem is that nothing gets implemented for a myriad of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't see how they can cock it up , it's a contractor,they've started ,the money's already allocated by central government ... Once the scrub and undergrowth is cleared ,and the rails ( which have a value ) are lifted ,the original ballast is still there , so either gravel blinding or tarmac on top ...
    Famous last words I know .....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement