Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

CHealy wrote: »
    Its going to be great to see another lift shaft pop up in the next few months. This building is almost the same height as the Elysian bar the antenna I believe.

With its design I think this will look fantastic in that area. A statement building for those arriving in by bus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Article on the Prism in de paper

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/work-commences-on-the-15-storey-prism-office-building-in-cork-983745.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Preparatory works for a number of weeks then into full construction. Tower Holdings hope to have it complete by Q4 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

opus wrote: »
    Demolition on MacCurtain/York St.

503559.jpg

The drawings/renders show this building as being maintained. Are they demolishing it and then rebuilding it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Mushy wrote: »

I take it the road where the buses are in this pic is all part of the plot as well ?

• Advertisement

I take it the road where the buses are in this pic is all part of the plot as well ?

AFAIK that's public road and plans are just the triangular site (outlined by the wall)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

building will be like a needle then

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

wakka12 wrote: »
    The drawings/renders show this building as being maintained. Are they demolishing it and then rebuilding it?

Not according to this:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-Street-is-to-shut-for-a-year-while-a-new-hotel-is-built-b054d024-8a0d-4a37-a893-02b248ed8140-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Second floor comes out over the footpath, so a little wider as it goes up

Building will step out I. E get wider from second floor. When complete will offer 60,000 Sq feet of top quality office space in a site that's abandoned for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I don't think the roadway where the buses have used will be lost permanently (i.e.) after construction has finished and once the Prism is fully functioning.

Below is an artist's impression of the Prism as displayed in The Echo in October 2018 - unless there were subsequent alterations made in the planning process?

See below visual image:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/15-storey-Prism-gets-the-go-ahead-46739428-51fc-4d4d-a672-a4365bbbe556-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Cork city's very own flatiron building! Ok not really. :o

I really think this is going to visually revitalize a very drab part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,269 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork city's very own flatiron building! Ok not really. :o

I really think this is going to visually revitalize a very drab part of the city.

Hoping that they get planning for the custom house building now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,028 ✭✭✭✭rob316

seen the prices of the new student apartments in the beamish site, €263 per week :eek: What student can afford them

leahyl wrote: »

Hmm that one I have my doubts about but yeah of course I hope so.

If approval is granted for the 25 floor building on the sextant site in the next few days (I think its due end of the month) that will be huge. And will possibly have a positive impact on the custom house review.

rob316 wrote: »
    seen the prices of the new student apartments in the beamish site, €263 per week :eek: What student can afford them

Plenty of rich students particularly foreign students. Should help get them out of house shares thus helping the supply across the wider market. (In theory!) Should also have a positive impact on the general area with the spin off on local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Plenty of rich students particularly foreign students. Should help get them out of house shares thus helping the supply across the wider market. (In theory!) Should also have a positive impact on the general area with the spin off on local business.

Some time back, one of the papers reported that many students in Dublin were paying over €12k each year for accommodation. So if you assume a 36 week rental period, this Cork accommodation is costing about €9.5k. Certainly not cheap but a long way off Dublin prices.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember when I was in college in the mid 2000s you could get a room in a house for about €70 a week. I remember thinking places like Victoria Lodge were very expensive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nogono

cantalach wrote: »
    Some time back, one of the papers reported that many students in Dublin were paying over €12k each year for accommodation. So if you assume a 36 week rental period, this Cork accommodation is costing about €9.5k. Certainly not cheap but a long way off Dublin prices.

There are a number of rental periods available - my son has a 41 week option in Dublin which has to be paid in either one or two instalments. Costs are crazy but one positive is that all utilities are included. Quality is generally good although rooms are small. Cost is 10k for the year so not that much more expensive than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭cgcsb

rob316 wrote: »

The students are from Dubai, Moscow and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

cgcsb wrote: »

With a potential boost to those numbers with brexit, so good this capacity is coming on stream so they dont come in and start competing with local students and families for the same houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

leahyl wrote: »

I'm a little more wary of this one. I like the design of the lower parts and i think they did a very good job of tying the new and old.
    35 floors might just be a bridge too far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nogono

cgcsb wrote: »

Believe me there are more Irish students than overseas students in my son's student lodgings.
    The quality is excellent but the cost is insane. If you take it that your tax is c. 50% then you need to earn 18k to pay for this.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'm a little more wary of this one. I like the design of the lower parts and i think they did a very good job of tying the new and old.
    35 floors might just be a bridge too far though.

I don't think it'll even be 35 floors to be honest. That'll get negotiated down to 30 i'd say. The original plans were 40 floors but i'd say they were hoping to get in and around 30 knowing how hostile some locals would be to anything new and that tall.

Thing is if the sextant site proposal (25 floors) gets approved where is the foot hold to say that 35 for the custom house site is outlandish or interfering with the skyline! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I don't think it'll even be 35 floors to be honest. That'll get negotiated down to 30 i'd say. The original plans were 40 floors but i'd say they were hoping to get in and around 30 knowing how hostile some locals would be to anything new and that tall.

Thing is if the sextant site proposal (25 floors) gets approved where is the foot hold to say that 35 for the custom house site is outlandish or interfering with the skyline! :confused:

The original plan was a 47 storey tower. What went for planning was a 34 storey. I'd be pretty confident that's the height they will build it. Anything less and it may not be viable for the developer. Shur by all accounts the planners are encouraging developers to build tall. That happened with the tower proposed on the South Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I knew it had been more than 35. I remember being a bit shocked when i fist saw it.
    Yeah I kinda thought the same in terms of it being expected to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I wouldn't really understand it being reduced to 30/25 floors.

I could understand objections to large development on that site, sure. Objections based on the design or quality of the proposal, absolutely. Objections to a tall building relative to the surrounding buildings, maybe, up to a point.

But once it goes above 10/15 floors, it's going to "tower over other buildings"/"block my light" /"take away my view" anyway. As far as I'm concerned there's little difference between a 25 floor tower and a 50 floor tower. Honestly if the planning recommended they increase the height, it wouldn't bother me, in fact the building's ratios might look better. (And I live near the site and just to the North West of it, so it will be casting a shadow/blocking my view. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,269 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

who_me wrote: »

I could understand objections to large development on that site, sure. Objections based on the design or quality of the proposal, absolutely. Objections to a tall building relative to the surrounding buildings, maybe, up to a point.

But once it goes above 10/15 floors, it's going to "tower over other buildings"/"block my light" /"take away my view" anyway. As far as I'm concerned there's little difference between a 25 floor tower and a 50 floor tower. Honestly if the planning recommended they increase the height, it wouldn't bother me, in fact the building's ratios might look better. (And I live near the site and just to the North West of it, so it will be casting a shadow/blocking my view. :) )

:eek: They can't build it so!! :pac:

who_me wrote: »

I've said it before, i'll say it again. That area of the city in and around the quays / port of cork is run down and unchanged for decades. How the regeneration of the area is being met with such hostility and general whinging (often from people who don't even live in the area) is beyond my comprehension.

Ok fair enough if the proposal was on the Grand parade or Patrick street I get it a very tall building would look completely out of place there and impact negatively on its surroundings. But to see such determined backlash for daring to completely modernize somewhere like the port of cork zone is beyond belief. People objecting for the sake of objection. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

I've said it before, i'll say it again. That area of the city in and around the quays / port of cork is run down and unchanged for decades. How the regeneration of the area is being met with such hostility and general whinging (often from people who don't even live in the area) is beyond my comprehension.

Ok fair enough if the proposal was on the Grand parade or Patrick street I get it a very tall building would look completely out of place there and impact negatively on its surroundings. But to see such determined backlash for daring to completely modernize somewhere like the port of cork zone is beyond belief. People objecting for the sake of objection. :confused:
    Totally agree with you. It will make this area of the City were you can feel unsafe walking around especially after dark and transform it into a vibrant fashionable Mecca with sightseers riverside cafes,bars etc.

Advertisement