Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I just googled the applicant for the new Parnell place hotel (Tetrarch) and it's the same crowd that run/own citywest, powers court, and the marker hotel and more. When I remember the site being sold initially, there were plans for it to be boutique hotel and hostel. But looking at the plans it only looks like a boutique hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

calnand wrote: »
    I just googled the applicant for the new Parnell place hotel (Tetrarch) and it's the same crowd that run/own citywest, powers court, and the marker hotel and more. When I remember the site being sold initially, there were plans for it to be boutique hotel and hostel. But looking at the plans it only looks like a boutique hotel.

Good. Parnell Place should be developed into a prime thoroughfare for the city. Not a good place for a hostel.

A pity about the red brick monstrosity and the bus station at one end sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »

Another new hotel was also submitted to planning with a decision due on the 26th of September:
    The proposed development will consist of the partial demolition, redevelopment and extension of 7/8 and 9 Parnell Place:the demolition of existing structures to the rear of 7/8 and 9 Parnell Place on Deane Street, Cork, excluding a red brick chimney: and the demolition of existing structures on Deane Street, Cork, including the demolition of a habitable house, to facilitate a hotel-development of 165 no. bedrooms of between 3-7 storeys plus rooftop plant, principally accessed from Deane Street, as well as Parnell Place, with ground floor reception area, restaurant/bar, retail unit, foodhall and café/retail unit.
    This seems like a significant development, it is has essentially the same capacity as the Maldron hotel under construction across the road.
    Plans lodged for Parnell Place hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

oh wow thats nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I passed by the old Woodies DIY store on Pouladduff Rd earlier. (Was there speculation that Avoca might go int there?)

There is some activity on-site, and they may be clearing the site. The facade has been stripped back and they may be going to dismantle it completely, but this is pure speculation on my part.

There seemed to be approx. 10 people on site. I'll try to keep an eye on it every few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

blindsider wrote: »
    I passed by the old Woodies DIY store on Pouladduff Rd earlier. (Was there speculation that Avoca might go int there?)

There is some activity on-site, and they may be clearing the site. The facade has been stripped back and they may be going to dismantle it completely, but this is pure speculation on my part.

There seemed to be approx. 10 people on site. I'll try to keep an eye on it every few weeks.

I heard it was going to be a soundstore

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Looks like an interesting design. Hope it turns out like that when it's complete. Love the restoration of the laneway. Would be a good way to help link the prism development into the city centre, if it gets approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Planning/Appealed - Student accommodation:

Kelleher Tyres site on Victoria Cross Rd (124 beds) and their 5 storey apartment block were asked for further information, decision due on the 7th of August.
    Planning delay to UCC student housing

A planning decision on a student accommodation project near University College Cork has been delayed as a number of details have to be clarified by the applicant. Cork City Council has asked Kevin Lynch for more information about the application to build a five-storey block containing around 120-bed spaces in 19 apartments. The council’s decision should have been known this week but, instead, it has asked for a number of issues to be clarified or revised. They include details around access to a planned river walkway and the council’s view that space to accommodate a 24-hour physical staffing presence is needed in the scheme.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/planning-delay-to-ucc-student-housing-860943.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

oh wow thats nice actually.

O me too and ideal location get bus to and from the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I heard it was going to be a soundstore

You're right! SoundStore it is.

I presume they'd want to be open by Christmas, but it's hard to see how it could be ready...?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Looks like an interesting design. Hope it turns out like that when it's complete. Love the restoration of the laneway. Would be a good way to help link the prism development into the city centre, if it gets approved.

I can be pretty grumpy/fussy about new developments, but I really like this one (which is good, because this and the Prism building will be filling my living room windows if both get built!)

Nice use of materials on the new part, and retaining the laneway and the chimney on the old part give it some really nice unique features. Hope this gets through unscathed!

The Parnell Place area has really come on a lot. Between EventBrite, UCC(?) restoring the opposite building, the Maldron hotel nearing completion, the road & paths being re-done some time ago, the pedestrian bridge at the end, and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

who_me wrote: »
    I can be pretty grumpy/fussy about new developments, but I really like this one (which is good, because this and the Prism building will be filling my living room windows if both get built!)

Nice use of materials on the new part, and retaining the laneway and the chimney on the old part give it some really nice unique features. Hope this gets through unscathed!

The Parnell Place area has really come on a lot. Between EventBrite, UCC(?) restoring the opposite building, the Maldron hotel nearing completion, the road & paths being re-done some time ago, the pedestrian bridge at the end, and now this.

Yes, will tie in nicely with the docklands development further down the quays. Good to see the city centre isn't being left behind as the docklands develop. Now that the events centre looks like going ahead also.

Here's the submission for the proposed Parnell Place hotel, if anyone is looking for more images.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Frostybrew wrote: »

I can almost pick up the scent of a fresh new appeal from An Taisce for this development as well.

It's incredible to see even just the plans for that little section of the city, as it still has a grotty, dirty feeling to it.

Especially with the sex shops and the two odd places that opened up down Connell St

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

With all the hotel development going on, how come this thing has been let sit idle for so long :confused:

458101.jpg

O me too and ideal location get bus to and from the airport

True - actually if you look at that area around the bus and train station (especially now the train station has an exit onto the quayside), there are 6 new hotels going up within about a 100m radius - this one on Parnell Place, plus the Horgan's Quay development, the floatel, the Maldron on Parnell Place, the M on Patrick's Quay and a small hotel on McCurtain St. (not counting the potential hotel in the 40 storey Custom House quay tower; nor the existing Clayton hotel, Jury's Inn and Metropole already in that area)

That's a nice chunk of rooms right by the transport 'hub'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

opus wrote: »

Same block at Navigation Square?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Same block at Navigation Square?

Yeah and there's a cafe that will be fronting onto the new navigation square.

Plus there's no windows on the southern facade of the tower, it's just going to be a blank white wall, which will look awful from the Victoria rd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=124540&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Tender awarded this morning for a Docklands Area Based Transport Assessment, to tie in with the City Docks LAP & the Tivoli LAP. This work was to start in February and to be complete in May 2018.
    The ABTA is needed to provide an understanding of the implications of development scenarios proposed for the area to inform key decisions relating to the land use, transportation, urban design, infrastructure and delivery strategies for the area.

The tender also notes the following:
    Cork City Council’s target is to prepare the Draft Cork City Docks Local Area Plan in the first half of 2018 and to publish the Draft Plan for consultation purposes in June 2018. The target for the Draft Tivoli Docks Local Area Plan is that it should be published in July 2018.

Any word on when these will be published ?

Plus there's no windows on the southern facade of the tower, it's just going to be a blank white wall, which will look awful from the Victoria rd.

Good point. Looks good above, but not great from the South-side (say from Kennedy Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Hoarding gone up around the white street car park and the buildings on the same block from what I seen when looking from across the river. Red hoarding is usually Clancy construction isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That sounds fairly ridiculous!

The small car park on Grattan St will soon be back in operation, they were drawing the lines on it today when I walked past at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=124540&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Tender awarded this morning for a Docklands Area Based Transport Assessment, to tie in with the City Docks LAP & the Tivoli LAP. This work was to start in February and to be complete in May 2018.

The tender also notes the following:

Any word on when these will be published ?

Article on this in de echo this evening, the LAPs will be published in mid September

marno21 wrote: »
    Article on this in de echo this evening, the LAPs will be published in mid September

Great news, I wonder if the 40 storey planning will follow?

Great news, I wonder if the 40 storey planning will follow?
    I would both imagine and hope so. Looking forward to this now, hopefully it'll lead to further development with the new plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Pics look bad from Victoria rd. This needs to be glazed on 4 sides, and I’m sure the planners will agree

Advertisement