Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A developer pulling a fast one? Never!

Hope they get a good slap for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm sure they've worked out the maths.

Just knock it and pay the fines and deal with the delay is probably cheaper than actually preserving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

A developer pulling a fast one? Never!

Hope they get a good slap for this.

I know they mightn’t of had permission but what they knocked was an ordinary bog standard old building. Absolutely nothing of significance.

Don’t see the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

They must be in a hurry, the usual practice is to wait until a bank holiday weekend for an unauthorised demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know they mightn’t of had permission but what they knocked was an ordinary bog standard old building. Absolutely nothing of significance.

Don’t see the big deal.

Well yeah , as long as it costs them a fortune ,
    They were given permission for a certain amount of demolition ,then did whatever they liked , it's not as serious as knocking a listed building but still ,should void their original planning ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Don’t see the big deal.

Makes a mockery of the much marketed Victorian Quarter.

If we knocked every "bog standard old building" in the city, how much would be left?

They must be in a hurry, the usual practice is to wait until a bank holiday weekend for an unauthorised demolition.

That's what they did with an Art Deco garage in Dublin and they quite rightly were forced to rebuild it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That's what they did with an Art Deco garage in Dublin and they quite rightly were forced to rebuild it.

Don't have to go that far , there was a listed church demolished by Sullivan's quay ..maybe 15 /20 years ago...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Don’t see the big deal.

Irrelevant that the building was of no significance. It was unplanned development. This is a country of laws.

Has anyone got any details about the large brownfield site at Hawke's Road in Bishopstown? My wife said there was a new planning notice gone up there but I haven't seen anything online.

It's a very large site that the Kelleher family (B'town Bar) put together just before the crash but despite later being sold it was never developed. I think PP was approved a few years ago for a mixed development but that didn't go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the Council owns that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Water John wrote: »
    I think the Council owns that site.

Gone for planning for 65 or so council apartments/houses I believe

okedoke wrote: »

Thanks, yeah that's what I heard but couldn't find the application anywhere.

I wonder will they do anything about the dangerous Waterfall Road Junction which is a bottleneck now since they closed Marymount Hospice and since new Dunnes has taken off. Add in this development and the inevitability of land just out old Waterfall Road being developed and it has the potential for a traffic nightmare unless they do something about the road layout.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

opus wrote: »
    The proposed student apartments on North Main St got approved to go for the fast track planning. Hope it goes through as that street badly needs a lift.

Planning for student apartments fast tracked

ABP website disagrees with this

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306210.htm

:confused:

okedoke wrote: »

Just read site notice and it's 67 mixed units (Part 8) but with only 23 car park spaces. Seems odd but at least it won't impact too much on the traffic if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

will it be done in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

im looking forward to it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CMATS final version to be published today

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-set-to-begin-selecting-light-rail-route-next-month-986067.html

Route selection for the light rail to begin next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

marno21 wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-set-to-begin-selecting-light-rail-route-next-month-986067.html

"The city’s bus network has been described as the “workhorse or the glue of the city’s future public transport system”, with major plans for bus lanes and corridors, bus priority measures, and a new fleet, with ambitious predicted journey times of 20 minutes from Mahon to Blarney, 20 minutes from Ballincollig to Glanmire, 15 minutes from Dublin Hill to Togher, and Ringaskiddy to Cork Airport in 30 minutes."

Wow, ambitious is the word alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

leahyl wrote: »
    "The city’s bus network has been described as the “workhorse or the glue of the city’s future public transport system”, with major plans for bus lanes and corridors, bus priority measures, and a new fleet, with ambitious predicted journey times of 20 minutes from Mahon to Blarney, 20 minutes from Ballincollig to Glanmire, 15 minutes from Dublin Hill to Togher, and Ringaskiddy to Cork Airport in 30 minutes."

I waited 45 minutes just to get on a bus in the city last night. Turned away from one Mahon-bound as it was full and then a second one which was listed as being 11 minutes away on the real time info for a good 20 minutes before it appeared in front of me.

Right now, I'd settle for a few more bus lanes to get the city service running smoothly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I waited 45 minutes just to get on a bus in the city last night. Turned away from one Mahon-bound as it was full and then a second one which was listed as being 11 minutes away on the real time info for a good 20 minutes before it appeared in front of me.

Right now, I'd settle for a few more bus lanes to get the city service running smoothly!!

Sure, there are a good few bus lanes now and there's been very little difference in journey/waiting times.....cars are driving in them and parking on them, roads aren't wide enough to accommodate them in a lot of cases anyway.....I'm being very negative I know.

Revised plans submitted for Custom House Tower, which retains a significant portion of the Revenue Building

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/revised-designs-for-34-storey-skyscraper-on-custom-house-quay-986237.html

Decision due April 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Tried Google Maps just now, and it suggested Mahon -> Blarney is a 24-26 minute journey, with an optimal route (South Link rather than other routes etc.) and no stops. 20 minutes sounds like magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Probably start in 2040. If they only left the cork city ro passage railway line

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Those buses aren't going to stop anywhere based on those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Sure, there are a good few bus lanes now and there's been very little difference in journey/waiting times.....cars are driving in them and parking on them, roads aren't wide enough to accommodate them in a lot of cases anyway.....I'm being very negative I know.

A good few bus lanes? There are only 14km of bus lanes in the city I. E. Basically none! Plans are to increase it to 100km along with multiple new railway stations and a tram system. It shows how poor the current transport is!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I'm almost certain that those are frequencies not journey times. Examiner made an error. For example the Ringaskiddy to Airport route is already in place (the 225) and has a frequency of 30 mins.

marno21 wrote: »

So by 2040 the ambition is to still have 50% of commuters traveling in private cars and only 4% of people cycling?! And no change in walking numbers. How unambitious can you get?

The timelines for delivery have also stayed the same from the draft with little or nothing projected to happen up to 2031. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So by 2040 the ambition is to still have 50% of commuters traveling in private cars and only 4% of people cycling?! And no change in walking numbers. How unambitious can you get?

The timelines for delivery have also stayed the same from the draft with little or nothing projected to happen up to 2031. Pathetic.

Agreed. It's shockingly poor. 20 years from now and that's what they think they'll achieve? Why even bother. Very disappointing indeed.

• Advertisement

Agreed. It's shockingly poor. 20 years from now and that's what they think they'll achieve? Why even bother. Very disappointing indeed.

They'd probably reach those numbers by doing nothing anyway.......which is probably the plan ultimately.

Advertisement