Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nogono

marno21 wrote: »
    CMATS final version to be published today

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-set-to-begin-selecting-light-rail-route-next-month-986067.html

Route selection for the light rail to begin next month.

Why do these articles read like a child's letter to Santa with very little consideration or commentary on the proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

nogono wrote: »
    Why do these articles read like a child's letter to Santa with very little consideration or commentary on the proposal.

Odds in there'll be some new buses bought to replace worn out ones , and precious little else done to speed up the service ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see a big for sale banner gone up on the old mckenzies place on carrolls quay.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thread from Cork Crane Count on the revised Custom House Tower plans

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1236005301972881410

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ofcork wrote: »
    I see a big for sale banner gone up on the old mckenzies place on carrolls quay.

Whats that? The restaurant that burned down a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

No older blue building across the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

marno21 wrote: »
    Thread from Cork Crane Count on the revised Custom House Tower plans

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1236005301972881410

Everything about this looks fantastic. Really hope this comes to fruition. That whole area of the city will be completely rejuvinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Really wish someone would build something on the long empty site on the Coal Quay to hide the monstrosity that is the car park for for the North Main St centre (not that you could call it a centre anymore).

505116.jpg

No idea when that was built but guess the planners really didn't give a damn back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

opus wrote: »
    Really wish someone would build something on the long empty site on the Coal Quay to hide the monstrosity that is the car park for for the North Main St centre (not that you could call it a centre anymore).

505116.jpg

No idea when that was built but guess the planners really didn't give a damn back then.

It's horrendous alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

505116.jpg

Isnt North Main St SC being demolished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

wakka12 wrote: »
    Isnt North Main St SC being demolished?

Is it ? The car park is council owned though isn't it ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

505116.jpg

Opened in 1993 IIRC.

Only noticed today you get a much better view of the apartment construction on John St from Leitrim St.

505191.jpg

I think this building was being renovated, guess it will need a bit more now.

https://twitter.com/corkindo/status/1237692429366710272

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Plans just announced to level the coliseum and build a 170 bed hotel! Can’t link to it on my phone - it was ok the examiner Facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

leahyl wrote: »
    Plans just announced to level the coliseum and build a 170 bed hotel! Can’t link to it on my phone - it was ok the examiner Facebook page

Here we go:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/hotel-planned-for-corks-coliseum-site-987262.html

Includes this line:
    Behind the proposal for the strategically-located site are major Irish investors/fund, Davy Real Estate.

My money would be on this being a "get planning, list for sale..." job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Here we go:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/hotel-planned-for-corks-coliseum-site-987262.html

Includes this line:

Cheers for sharing the link. It’s a great location for a hotel so hope it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/work-officially-starts-whats-set-17905157

Prism groundworks kick off.

This looks great and all but the renderings are a bit optimistic in reference to the size of the building.

Still this will give this area a great boost.

Here we go:

Includes this line:

Presume this means the end of the Leisureplex. A shame, I go bowling in there quite often!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Another piece of old Cork gone.

Every design these days is either hideously ugly (the crashed spaceship that is the Dean comes to mind) or generically boring, this an example of the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Presume this means the end of the Leisureplex. A shame, I go bowling in there quite often!

Ya, sad to see it go myself. Another part of Cork from my childhood will be gone.

I think An Post were on that site before the Leisureplex.

The building had been gutted and the external rendered bland. It's, unfortunately, no loss now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't think the building on the corner is a massive loss any more, but still knocking it does make this "Victorian Quarter" label increasingly BS.

Ya, sad to see it go myself. Another part of Cork from my childhood will be gone.

I think An Post were on that site before the Leisureplex.

What's the next best place for bowling in the city? I'm not a fan of the Mardyke with it's pins held by strings set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

who_me wrote: »
    I don't think the building on the corner is a massive loss any more, but still knocking it does make this "Victorian Quarter" label increasingly BS.

It's certainly no loss but the replacement is pretty bland, I see for some bizarre reason they are planning to keep some of one story wall along Brian Boru street, it's of no architectural value, whats all that about?

That is all going to concentrate on Issac's, Greens, Shelbourne, and Metropole

What's the next best place for bowling in the city? I'm not a fan of the Mardyke with it's pins held by strings set-up.

Does Planet on Mallow Road have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Saw an old photo and was actually a nice looking building back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

That is all going to concentrate on Issac's, Greens, Shelbourne, and Metropole

Sure, though that's a very, very small "quarter".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Post Victorian, the "quarter" moniker was just marketing bollocks.

Advertisement