Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The building had been gutted and the external rendered bland. It's, unfortunately, no loss now

Couldn't agree more. Its been a shell of a building for some time and really has no historic value.

Delighted to see the site used for something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

One thing that continues to elude me is that with all these massive hotels being planned and built, what are all the people coming that will fill them actually be doing in the City? Outside of the Jazz festival weekend and Patrick's Day etc, there's very little to do in Cork besides a night out drinking.

We BADLY need that fúcking Event Centre.

One thing that continues to elude me is that with all these massive hotels being planned and built, what are all the people coming that will fill them actually be doing in the City? Outside of the Jazz festival weekend and Patrick's Day etc, there's very little to do in Cork besides a night out drinking.

Cork city is severely lacking large capacity modern city center hotels. I think you're underestimating how popular cork city (especially during summer) is given its proximity to the Wild Atlantic way. Its a no brainer to me and i'm sure the expected demand has been well researched by those willing to invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cork has lots to do :) Im from Dublin and visited for the first time properly as a tourist a few months ago, plenty to do for a weekend. Beautiful and vibrant city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Cork has:

* Shandon and Ringing the Shandon Bells (after Coronavirus emergency is over)
    * English Market on Grand Parade with unique local & international produce such as Tripe & Drisheen!
    * Retail Shopping in Opera Lane, Patrick Street & Oliver Plunkett Street
    * A Visit/Guided Tour of Elizabeth Fort off Barrack Street
    * Old Cork City Womens' Gaol Museum in Sunday's Well,
    * Old Cork Waterworks Experience/Lifetime Lab on Lee Road
    * CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory in Blackrock, Cork
    * Check out the impressive Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral, Bishop Street, Cork City.
    * Restaurants - selection of local/international food menus (e.g.) "ORSO" on Pembroke Street - Med-style, Lebanese and Moroccan dishes, in a contemporary cafe/bar with free local delivery.
    * Sample a Pint of Cork's Beamish Stout & Murphy's Irish Stout on draught
    * Enjoy hearing music at more intimate venues like: Coughlan's on Douglas Street, The Crane Lane Theatre on Phoenix Street, Cyprus Avenue on Caroline Street etc;
    * Cork International Choral Festival 29th April - 3rd May 2020
    * Cork Mid-Summer Festival 12th-21st June 2020
    * LIVE at the MARQUEE 2020 concerts @Cork's Docklands May 29th-June 29th
    * BAM Cork City Sports 69th International Athletics Meeting Tuesday 7th July 2020 from 5:00pm at Cork Institute of Technology Athletics Stadium, Bishopstown, Cork.
    * The 41st edition of Volvo Cork Week in Sailing will take place 13th-18th July 2020.
    * Cork Pride Week LGBT+ (end July/early August)
    * WestLife & Special Guest, Emeli Sandé play Páirc Uí Chaoimh GAA Stadium in Cork on Friday 28th & Saturday 29th August 2020
    * INDIE CORK - a festival of independent film & music 04th-11th October 2020
    * 65th Cork International Film Festival 5th–15th November 2020.
    Ireland’s First and Largest Film Festival. Award-winning films from the international film festival circuit.
    * Guinness Cork Jazz Festival - October Bank Holiday Weekend
    * GLOW Festival - A Cork Christmas Celebration (Christmas market & entertainment) usually starts late November>December until Christmas week!

Use Cork city as a base while also visiting parts of County Cork:

* Blarney Castle (Kiss the Blarney Stone!) in village of Blarney, 8mls outside city
    * Jameson Whiskey Distillery in Midleton, East Cork
    * Fota House & Gardens
    * Fota Wildlife Park
    * Cobh Heritage Centre - The Queenstown Story in Cobh, Co. Cork
    * Kinsale - gourmet food capital of Ireland, Old Head of Kinsale Golf Course
    * Crosshaven - home to Royal Cork Yacht Club
    * Cape Clear Island International Storytelling Festival from 04th-06th September 2020
    * West Cork for it's scenic landscape and beauty and lovely beaches

In terms of infrastructure, you also have:

* Cork International Airport run by the state's airport authority, the DAA
    * Ferryport Terminal in Ringaskiddy, Co. Cork for passenger ferry services
    * Cruise Ship Terminal in Cobh, County Cork
    * Railway Station on Lower Glanmire Road
    * Bus Station at Parnell Place and private operators based all along Patrick's Quay
    * M8 Motorway serves Dublin - Cork

Of course, if and when Cork eventually has a dedicated Cork Events Centre it will be an additional boost to entertainment & the larger corporate hospitality scene.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

putting aside the one off "festivals" like the crap jazz festival which features most pubs having music that is not jazz

we have people harp on about the English market like its something special as if no other ordinary city did not have something similar selling their own local delicacies

Cork is a grey maritime city, and if bog standard bridges over filthy water infested with prams and shopping trolleys is your thing fair play, surrounded by churches that are a reminder to everyone of the hold they had on the population

Almost all the best things in cork are outside the city, as the city to me has always been a dull place aesthetically.Why would anyone want to come to cork when there are countless cities of similar size all over europe that make cork look like the third world.

Thankfully with all these new developments and new proposed ones the city will at least look better and things are finally starting to look up from a visual point.

I have no doubt some Cork people will not like my post as they think cork is the centre of the Universe, and anyone from cork who thinks like i might, must surely be on the wind up or foreign , a troll etc, as having an opinion that does not confirm to the rest is frowned upon in cork.
    I love cork though because its my home, but am not deluded enough to think it is more than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork is a grey maritime city, and if bog standard bridges over filthy water infested with prams and shopping trolleys is your thing fair play,

That part is just bullsh1t.

You, obviously, haven't looked in the river in around 15 years.

we have people harp on about the English market like its something special as if no other ordinary city did not have something similar

Which other city in Ireland has a similar type of 18th-century covered market?

Cork city is far from perfect but you only seem the see the negatives. Cork is a grey sh!t hole is basically what you're saying. I don't see what you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cork city is far from perfect but you only seem the see the negatives. Cork is a grey sh!t hole is basically what you're saying. I don't see what you're seeing.

It's cramped and stinks. The one in Belfast is miles ahead of it.

I think its great. That's a hell of drive to get to a food market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cork has to be one of the most colourful cities I have EVER visited! It was literally my very first thought about the city when I visited. The weather sure is grey but the city itself could hardly be called that. Almost every building in the centre is painted a different brightly coloured shade

I think its great. That's a hell of drive to get to a food market.

Funny man.

Maybe the stink and sub standard toilet are reminiscent of the 18th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

putting aside the one off "festivals" like the crap jazz festival which features most pubs having music that is not jazz

we have people harp on about the English market like its something special as if no other ordinary city did not have something similar selling their own local delicacies

Cork is a grey maritime city, and if bog standard bridges over filthy water infested with prams and shopping trolleys is your thing fair play, surrounded by churches that are a reminder to everyone of the hold they had on the population

Almost all the best things in cork are outside the city, as the city to me has always been a dull place aesthetically.Why would anyone want to come to cork when there are countless cities of similar size all over europe that make cork look like the third world.

Thankfully with all these new developments and new proposed ones the city will at least look better and things are finally starting to look up from a visual point.

I have no doubt some Cork people will not like my post as they think cork is the centre of the Universe, and anyone from cork who thinks like i might, must surely be on the wind up or foreign , a troll etc, as having an opinion that does not confirm to the rest is frowned upon in cork.
    I love cork though because its my home, but am not deluded enough to think it is more than it is.
    You really have issues with Cork City, so much so that you won't capitalise the "c" in Cork, you call Cork City FC "cork" which no-one in Cork does, you support any team but Cork in the Football and Hurling Championship and you contribute nothing but negative comments about the place.
    I'd really like to hear what you love about "cork"? Go on tell us what you like about the place?

I've no problem with folk who may originate from Cork or from other regions of Ireland or the globe expressing fair and valid criticisms as and where they apply although; I think your views on Cork come across as being particularly harsh.

We all know Cork has it's issues and I also know of no other city/town/village that does not have it's own share of problems or improvements.

Not sure where you are going with your reference to one off festivals - they are not one off at all - they are usually annually held festivals.

The churches date back to an era where practising one's religious faith was a lot more frequent by the mass going population. Cork built a rosary of churches in the late 1950's to cater for the demands of that time. Social & religious norms have since changed in recent decades for a whole host of reasons but this is not the forum thread for that discussion. Churches can and have been adapted for other alternative uses like St. Lukes is a music venue, Christchurch on South Main Street is part of the Triskel centre, St. Peter's Church on North Main Street as the Cork Vision Centre, St. Vincent's Church in Sunday's Well sold to UCC, St. Nicholas Church off Evergreen Street sold some years ago etc;

In relation to the Guinness Cork Jazz Festival, Jazz music as a music genre is a very broad church. Some people don't class certain acts as their preferred form of Jazz even if it is just another element of it. Dixieland, Swing, Bebop, Hard Bop, Freebop, Free jazz, Fusion such as jazz rock and jazz funk, third-stream that blends jazz with other forms. The debatable ones are acid jazz and smooth jazz. There are also many other forms of Jazz other than those mentioned here.

Not sure what you expect Cork City to do about grey skies weather days in all fairness? Do you think other cities across Europe always look amazing in similar dull weather conditions? There are always going to be differing views on aesthetics wherever you go and such views are not unique to Cork City no doubt. During the summer heatwave experienced in 2018, everywhere including Cork City looked wonderful with clear blue skies and long hours of sunshine!

I think suggesting other cities of similar size across Europe makes Cork look like "third world" is nonsense altogether. I actually reckon that Cork often punches way above it's weight and was hampered by an outdated city boundary that was finally extended last year.

Oliver Plunkett Street won top urban award in 2016
    (See below article)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-beats-london-and-liverpool-to-win-top-urban-award-1.2421644?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fcork-beats-london-and-liverpool-to-win-top-urban-award-1.2421644

Cork City was named among the top 10 in the best cities to visit in the Lonely Planet guide's 'Best in Travel 2010'.
    (See below article)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1103/123731-lonelyplanet/

The water quality has improved dramatically since the city's Main Drainage Scheme was updated at considerable cost & funding from the European Union around 20 years ago so; I'm not sure where all this filthy water is nowadays? They would not have been able recommence water leisure activities on the River Lee if the water quality was as filthy as you suggested.

Obviously the below event examples are subject to change especially in light of the current Coronavirus/Covid 19 health pandemic.

* Ocean to City Race on 6 June 2020 which involves a 22km city course finishing up in Cork City Centre.

* Vibes & Scribes LEE SWIM in the city on Saturday 4th July @ 4:30pm

I remember the days when the river used to stink but I've not noticed this problem since the main drainage scheme was completed.

As for the bridges (plural) being "bog standard", when did you last travel over Patrick's Bridge which was renovated at some expense last year. IT has never looked so well with the lanterns and cleaned stonework! Other attractive and old bridges that span the south channel of the Lee include South Gate Bridge, Parliament Bridge, Clarke's Bridge and Daley's Bridge (aka "The Shakey Bridge" is in the process of full restoration).

I'm not deluded about Cork but I'll make no apology to anyone for selling this fine city on it's own merits particularly during this period of uncertainty. I would expect those who hail from Dublin, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Kerry and further afield to represent their own home city/town/village in an equally positive light.

Funny man.

Maybe the stink and sub standard toilet are reminiscent of the 18th century.

Maybe you shouldn't go in there if it bothers you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Regretting my post now after what I've started.... :pac:

I'm just upset about my favourite bowling spot going....

If it was regarded as sub-standard and not worthy of the international attention, Queen Elizabeth II would not have visited this fascinating venue during her first official state visit in 2011. The queen's visit and interaction with Pat O'Connell, the fish monger and her impromptu walkabout outside to meet the waiting crowds on Grand Parade was totally unexpected and formed the highlights of her successful visit to Ireland. It is said that the queen went against security advice when she greeted those who lined the street outside.

The English Market you describe reminds me of "The Market" just prior to the fire in June 1980 when I was a young boy as it used be dark in certain parts. Apparently Cork Corporation was in the process of renovating the market at the same time a major fire destroyed a large section of the market.

The transformation following the renovations and the surge in popularity of this food venue in subsequent years suggests you are not in step with a large majority of people.

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/english-market/history/the-history-of-the-english-market.html

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/No-stalling-its-success-Corks-English-market-through-the-decades-7436e920-f32d-42c2-bdee-d284f9422b92-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Lads can we bring this back on topic. It has nothing to do with Cork Development

Maybe you shouldn't go in there if it bothers you that much.

I don't.
    All Cork geese are swans according to some posters here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Regretting my post now after what I've started.... :pac:

I'm just upset about my favourite bowling spot going....

The Planet @ Blackpool is your best bet now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't.
    All Cork geese are swans according to some posters here.

And all Cork swans are geese.
    According to some, but not believed by many.

rebs23 wrote: »
    You really have issues with Cork City, so much so that you won't capitalise the "c" in Cork, you call Cork City FC "cork" which no-one in Cork does, you support any team but Cork in the Football and Hurling Championship and you contribute nothing but negative comments about the place.
    I'd really like to hear what you love about "cork"? Go on tell us what you like about the place?

Let me get this right, your main objection to my post is me not typing Cork with a capital C ?

As for your lies about me supporting any other team other than cork in Hurling and Footballl, that is horsesh1t as I despise all GAA I support no GAA team, but will admit I do get satisfaction in cork losing if it upsets narrow minded parochial people.

We have a city that stinks this time of the year, its grey, we have building in disrepair, buildings in Washington street and south main street falling down for YEARs. We even had one fall down this week in the middle of it being renovated. If this happened in any other first world country there would be uproar.

All the best things about Cork are outside it.

The beautiful port of cork, fota, blarney,the countless places in West Cork etc.

All I hear is we got shandon Bells and a market, big deal.
    I have been to France, Belgium, Holland Germany, England and Scotland and have seen towns half the size of Cork that would blow away cork.

I do not hate Cork, its my home, but lets not bullsh1t ourselves and pretend its something more than it is. Cork people have this notion is paradise, the capital of Ireland, centre of the Universe and other nonsense.

If this offends you, then tough

Let me get this right, your main objection to my post is me not typing Cork with a capital C ?

As for your lies about me supporting any other team other than cork in Hurling and Footballl, that is horsesh1t as I despise all GAA I support no GAA team, but will admit I do get satisfaction in cork losing if it upsets narrow minded parochial people.

We have a city that stinks this time of the year, its grey, we have building in disrepair, buildings in Washington street and south main street falling down for YEARs. We even had one fall down this week in the middle of it being renovated. If this happened in any other first world country there would be uproar.

All the best things about Cork are outside it.

The beautiful port of cork, fota, blarney,the countless places in West Cork etc.

All I hear is we got shandon Bells and a market, big deal.
    I have been to France, Belgium, Holland Germany, England and Scotland and have seen towns half the size of Cork that would blow away cork.

I do not hate Cork, its my home, but lets not bullsh1t ourselves and pretend its something more than it is. Cork people have this notion is paradise, the capital of Ireland, centre of the Universe and other nonsense.

If this offends you, then tough

With all due respects, I beg to differ as your posts suggests you strongly dislike anything positive said about Cork City even if it is correct. Of course, it's a free world and you have a different opinion however; some of criticism is a bit over the top IMHO.

On a grey day in Cork City, it can sometimes be just as grey in other locations such as West Cork and all those countries you claim to have visited. It all depends on the incoming weather systems. I'm pleased to report that the city of Cork does not stink since the main drainage scheme works were completed - water quality has never been better, which has lead to an increase in water activities on the River Lee since the 2000's decade and helped boost tourism.

I would accept that there are "some" buildings old in age and have deteriorated due to neglect and in need of demolition and/or major reconstruction in areas like North Main Street, Washington Street etc; but let's keep things in perspective - I've seen similar issues in other cities like Dublin and Belfast in recent years as well and there's no easy quick fix solution. Buildings do suffer partial collapses outside Cork City and this can happen in other First World Countries as well.

I hope we see a full investigation of all buildings of a certain age in Cork City in the interests of public health & safety. Those deemed to be dangerous need to be made safe and if it involves demolition and new developments follow on the same sites, this will further enhance this great historic city. Cork City is a nice compact size and has great potential and can thrive since it's population increased following the city boundary extension granted last year.

Onwards and upwards is the way to go!

With all due respects, I beg to differ as your posts suggests you strongly dislike anything positive said about Cork City even if it is correct.

Some people have difficulty with the English language. Not once have I said I hate Cork, because I do not, even though some would like to paint that picture because my opinion does not conform with theirs.

There is a difference from thinking the city is nothing special and hating it. I know some people with an agenda are too dense to grasp this or are simply choosing to ignore it.

All those complaining with my opinion cannot argue the point I mentioned about other towns having as much and even more to offer.. or contradict me about the state of some of the buildings in cork, or how the vast majority of the things of note in cork are outside the city.

I have no problem with people debating those points, but instead we have people with an agenda choosing to find fault with my spelling , grammar etc, or how I dislike the GAA, all which are deflection tactics to have a go at the poster instead of the points i raised.

And there are plenty positives, the new custom house building will be great, the prism as well, and the city is starting at last to look a lot better, especially along the quays, but the point remains, the tourist attractions in the city centre are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

Some people have difficulty with the English language. Not once have I said I hate Cork, because I do not, even though some would like to paint that picture because my opinion does not conform with theirs.

There is a difference from thinking the city is nothing special and hating it. I know some people with an agenda are too dense to grasp this or are simply choosing to ignore it.

All those complaining with my opinion cannot argue the point I mentioned about other towns having as much and even more to offer.. or contradict me about the state of some of the buildings in cork, or how the vast majority of the things of note in cork are outside the city.

I have no problem with people debating those points, but instead we have people with an agenda choosing to find fault with my spelling , grammar etc, or how I dislike the GAA, all which are deflection tactics to have a go at the poster instead of the points i raised.

And there are plenty positives, the new custom house building will be great, the prism as well, and the city is starting at last to look a lot better, especially along the quays, but the point remains, the tourist attractions in the city centre are not great.
    Listen you're on record as supporting other counties when they play Cork in GAA, you're on the record as calling Cork City FC "cork" which no one from Cork calls them, you've yet to tell us what you like or love about Cork. You're the one that said you love Cork, let's hear it? You're a West Ham supporting Darts fan and really I couldn't be bothered anymore arguing with someone that obviously has issues with Cork in a forum that is supposed to be talking about developments in Cork.
    Come on tell us what do you "love" about Cork?

Listen you're on record as supporting other counties when they play Cork in GAA, you're on the record as calling Cork City FC "cork" which no one from Cork calls them, you've yet to tell us what you like or love about Cork. You're the one that said you love Cork, let's hear it? You're a West Ham supporting Darts fan and really I couldn't be bothered anymore arguing with someone that obviously has issues with Cork in a forum that is supposed to be talking about developments in Cork.
    Come on tell us what do you "love" about Cork?

well done on exactly proving my point.
    you moan about me not speaking about the developments, which I clearly did and you chose to ignore, and you are the one deflecting making it about the GAA

you have zero self awareness.
    What has your love and obsession with the stupid GAA got to do with this thread
    What has cork city fc got to do with cork developments.

oh wait....it was you that brought them up, not me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

calling Cork City FC "cork" which no one from Cork calls them, You're a West Ham supporting Darts fan

Weird that you think those points back up your argument against his opinion of cork. I just typed cork and it didnt capitalise the C. What difference does that make ? Its clearly hurt your feelings that he doesnt share the same pov as you, get on with it lad and get out of the bubble, he wont be the first to disagree with your opinion. It's not that serious.

Weird that you think those points back up your argument against his opinion of cork. I just typed cork and it didnt capitalise the C. What difference does that make ? Its clearly hurt your feelings that he doesnt share the same pov as you, get on with it lad and get out of the bubble, he wont be the first to disagree with your opinion. It's not that serious.

His hurt feelings come from a couple of posts I made on ANOTHER FORUM YEARS AGO, so now wants to use this forum and this thread to carry on his agenda. Little did i know my comments, years later would still be to the fore of his thoughts.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Stop throwing personal insults around, will be cards next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

Every city I've ever lived in has divided some people. It's normal and probably right that it's that way. Regardless of personal views, it's great to see that people are willing to invest in developing the city; it's really growing now in a way I've never seen before, the land hoarded along the quays is unlocking and adding a new focus to east. I just hope the economic damages from covid-19 don't leave unfinished projects and set us back.

Advertisement