Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

100%. Cork has been unlucky to only get up to steam at the ass end of economic cycles, usually meaning nice viable businesses sell up for the inflated price, and when the bust comes were left with an empty site (RIP The Western Star).

Noone knows how this effect could go but really hope it doesnt undercut things like it did 12 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Moving away from the tough news we all are hearing lately. Digger in the Prism site today working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Pics from lunchtime.

Shakey bridge going back up:

505844.jpg

Student apartment development at Victoria Cross:

505845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/property/sen-mccrthaigh-17931909

Selfish begrudgers stop the building of 30 new homes. When I went to school i had classmates that came from miles and miles away in every direction.
    Objectors just don't want their surroundings to be changed for selfish reasons. There's not much more too it than that. We witnessed the selfishness of these people before - a person complained on twitter how the prism building would change her back garden view of the skyline.

She allowed herself be filmed moaning about a new building in the distant skyline , as she was totally convinced it was a legitimate objection to have. The majority of objectors are the same - ignorant pigs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Burty330 wrote: »

Selfish begrudgers stop the building of 30 new homes. When I went to school i had classmates that came from miles and miles away in every direction.
    Objectors just don't want their surroundings to be changed for selfish reasons. There's not much more too it than that. We witnessed the selfishness of these people before - a person complained on twitter how the prism building would change her back garden view of the skyline.

She allowed herself be filmed moaning about a new building in the distant skyline , as she was totally convinced it was a legitimate objection to have. The majority of objectors are the same - ignorant pigs!

There is a big difference between people in the country objecting to all those new houses in glounthaune and some attention whore who is moaning about a skyline.

• Advertisement

There is a big difference between people in the country objecting to all those new houses in glounthaune and some attention whore who is moaning about a skyline.

They listed their reasons for objecting and they are petty and trivial matters so they are no better in my book.
    They simply do not want the extra population and have sadly gotten their way..Its a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That was the development on the south link road IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

They listed their reasons for objecting and they are petty and trivial matters so they are no better in my book.
    They simply do not want the extra population and have sadly gotten their way..Its a disgrace!

Did you actually read the article? It makes it clear that ABP's reasons for overruling were not the same as the grounds for objection. It was actually the opposite! They cited the fact that the density wasn't high enough. I'll simplify that for you: ABP thinks the development is too small. That certainly was not what the local residents wanted to hear. ABP also took issue with the absence of infrastructure between the development and the village, in particular for pedestrian and cyclist use. We cannot continue to build developments that are only reachable by car and I fully support that stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

What a clueless and Ill informed post

mire wrote: »
    What a clueless and Ill informed post

<SNIP> USER BANNED. No personal insults please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Moving away from the tough news we all are hearing lately. Digger in the Prism site today working away.

Really compact site when you look at it isn't it.

Some Prism pics from yesterday, not very exciting admittedly but I'll take any distraction from current events. Had arranged a bit of a Paddy's Day hike with a few friends over a week ago but we decided it probably wasn't the best of ideas now.

506000.jpg
    506001.jpg

It'll be a phenemonal build on that site, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

It'll be a phenemonal build on that site, to be honest.

So long as they keep building. I’m a bit concerned about the impact of this instant and apparently global recession on construction projects. We saw in ‘08 how a busy site can just come to a halt overnight when the money stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

ofcork wrote: »
    Really compact site when you look at it isn't it.

It really is. Intrigued to see what it looks like when finished as don't think any computer images will paint the real picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

cantalach wrote: »
    Did you actually read the article? It makes it clear that ABP's reasons for overruling were not the same as the grounds for objection. It was actually the opposite! They cited the fact that the density wasn't high enough. I'll simplify that for you: ABP thinks the development is too small. That certainly was not what the local residents wanted to hear. ABP also took issue with the absence of infrastructure between the development and the village, in particular for pedestrian and cyclist use. We cannot continue to build developments that are only reachable by car and I fully support that stance.

Obviously there could have been some ridiculous objections too, but Co Co is shoehorning these estates into areas without the supporting infrastructure and promising it will be delivered afterwards. Ballinglanna being a case in point.

ABP needed to be firmer, and it looks like they have been, here.

I totally support estates that have proper transport infrastructure, but this is not one of them. Upgrading the Lackenroe road is fine, but it's a steep hill, a good distance from the bus and train, with no footpaths. It'd be another totally car-dependent estate.

Construction is powering ahead with the student apartments on the Mardyke, whether or not they need to be finished for next Sept remains to be see I guess.

506100.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

In light of the coronavirus situation I've given up any hope whatsoever this (Event center) will actually ever be built. Its dragged on for so long I lost interest anyway. Clown show from the very the beginning.

Much more interested in the new tall buildings going up. Hopefully they drive on with them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

marno21 wrote: »
    ABP have approved the Events Centre

Live Nation have just announced they need another €734m to make the event centre viable with social distancing

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Crane going up on Crows Nest Site today

And there it is.

506702.jpg

Hold on how many floors is it going to be????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hold on how many floors is it going to be????

10 I think.

seems to be a lot of demolition going on directly behind the Carey's Tools site. Not sure if it's for Navigation Square or the JCD tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

snotboogie wrote: »
    10 I think.

seems to be a lot of demolition going on directly behind the Carey's Tools site. Not sure if it's for Navigation Square or the JCD tower?

Have heard reports that demolition is on going for the final block of Navigation Square. I'd suspect that's what it is. Wouldn't expect to see any progress on JCD tower for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Bulldozers and diggers on site at Marina Park today next to Pairc Ui Caoimh doing clearing works. About damn time this park project got underway after years of delays and excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Crow's Nest UCC - a little reminder of what it will look like....

[IMG][/img]http://mcculloughmulvin.com/projects/crows-nest-student-accommodation-ucc [IMG][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

blindsider wrote: »
    Crow's Nest UCC - a little reminder of what it will look like....

[IMG][/img]http://mcculloughmulvin.com/projects/crows-nest-student-accommodation-ucc [IMG][/img]

I seem to be in the minority that really like this design!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I seem to be in the minority that really like this design!

I agree with you ...
    The proof is in the building though , and often what it looks like 10 to 15 years later ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement