Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

Bulldozers and diggers on site at Marina Park today next to Pairc Ui Caoimh doing clearing works. About damn time this park project got underway after years of delays and excuses.

possibly to do with the páirc being a testing centre maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

RINO87 wrote: »
    possibly to do with the páirc being a testing centre maybe?

Nope, contracts for signed for the park last week beside the stadium so I suspect it's that going ahead. Testing shouldn't require any ground work as it's all happening in the tunnel under the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I seem to be in the minority that really like this design!

I like it. Gets a thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

Good news so, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I wont say I like it, but it is different so in that sense its a thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

i think it's really interesting and quite appropriate to its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I reserve judgement on the Crows Nest, the renders are very idyllic, even cartoony with lens flare and birds, the proportions seem inconsistent. The real test is what it'll look like on an damp February day surrounded by traffic, and on that score I think it might be similar to the student accom all around it now, which is bland. Hopefully the materials do surprise and its warm and solid looking, and the cafe looking thing at ground floor isnt a sweetener for the renders (bearing in mind that the available units in University Hall struggled and are now empty).

Render v reality
    http://www.bpope.ie/victoria_cross_student_accommodation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

bingo9999 wrote: »
    I reserve judgement on the Crows Nest, the renders are very idyllic, even cartoony with lens flare and birds, the proportions seem inconsistent. The real test is what it'll look like on an damp February day surrounded by traffic, and on that score I think it might be similar to the student accom all around it now, which is bland. Hopefully the materials do surprise and its warm and solid looking, and the cafe looking thing at ground floor isnt a sweetener for the renders (bearing in mind that the available units in University Hall struggled and are now empty).

Render v reality

Units in Dennehy's Cross were never filled. 10 years or so now after completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Normally I wouldn't say this, but the reality looks better than the render there. The black/white is at least a bit bold (and works) versus the standard brown wood and white wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Render v reality

The current buildings unfortunately look this way because of a refurbishment in 2017.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8928443,-8.5051043,3a,90y,151.17h,91.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scmX4G-WIDmvLyQbXTcy7yg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    This is how they looked before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

The planners should have insisted that the university hall buildings should curve matching the road. It would have helped immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

wakka12 wrote: »
    The current buildings unfortunately look this way because of a refurbishment in 2017.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8928443,-8.5051043,3a,90y,151.17h,91.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scmX4G-WIDmvLyQbXTcy7yg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    This is how they looked before it.

Looking at that they definitely used to look better. I guess they removed all the wood paneling.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Looking at that they definitely used to look better. I guess they removed all the wood paneling.

Nope, just painted/varnished it black

Normally I wouldn't say this, but the reality looks better than the render there. The black/white is at least a bit bold (and works) versus the standard brown wood and white wall.

Its not white though, its a sickly pale lemon. If it was a clean bold white I would think it would be a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Took a pic over the fence on Horgan's Quay at lunchtime.

506984.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Work continuing apace on Horgan's Quay, the Prism and Penrose Dock today. Good to see they are continuing amidst the shutdown.

I didn't see this posted here but Penrose Dock is 60% occupied:

Sophos (already at City Quarter)
    Qualcomm (already at City Gate, Mahon)
    Varonis (moving from One Albert Quay)
    Matheson (moving from City Gate, Mahon)
    Grant Thornton (moving from South Mall)

Moving in from June til the end of the year. 150k out of the 250k sqft is now leased, with 28k sqft also available for flexi lease. On site gym to open June 22.

There's Grant Thornton signage up now also on the penthouse floor of the building facing towards the city centre, maybe they'll get this on the outside of the building when they move in

John Clearly is confident of filling the remaining space also, saying there's "strong interest" in the remaining space.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/penrose-dock-offices-in-cork-to-open-in-june-987358.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Forgive me as I'm probably not up to speed on all aspects of this - I realise that Carey's Tool Hire will eventually vacate their premises on Albert Quay to make way for a new development which I gather includes the former Sextant Pub site...

I was driving along Albert Road yesterday and was surprised to see partial demolition of what I would have thought is/was a historic building premises. I'm not sure if the building in question was ever used for Railway/Trams in bygone years or maybe the Railways/Trams only relates to what is now the National Sculpture Factory located at the other side of Albert Road?

Demolition on Albert Road.

507241.jpg

And that will be it for quite some time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We live in uncertain times but this came out yesterday

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1242482808276176896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

“Tenders have been issued for a main contractor for a €30m Student Accommodation field hospital at the former Coca Cola Plant.”

Went out for my allowed bit of personal exercise early this morning to get empty roads & spotted a planning notice on the long derelict site at the end of the Mardyke (near AIB) for 30 apartments, presumably for students. Good time to throw it up, a lot of the residents of the Mardyke are on the older side so won't be out to read it & object (or I am just being cynical?).

507486.jpg

The apartments on Millerd St were coming along nicely before work stopped. I like that they put something better than just concrete on the ground floor as it would have looked very bleak.

507747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

opus wrote: »
    Went out for my allowed bit of personal exercise early this morning to get empty roads & spotted a planning notice on the long derelict site at the end of the Mardyke (near AIB) for 30 apartments, presumably for students. Good time to throw it up, a lot of the residents of the Mardyke are on the older side so won't be out to read it & object (or I am just being cynical?).

The application went in over a month ago:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112546205

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hopefully building resumes when it's safe to do so. I'd hate to see some of these projects mothballed indefinitely.

Hopefully building resumes when it's safe to do so. I'd hate to see some of these projects mothballed indefinitely.

Absolutely - its actually probably a good time for building to ready for the bounceback, few people around etc., would be nice to see things that have started go the distance. If its a matter of weeks for the most severe lockdown they may ease up on construction sites in the first lessening since they were some of the last to go into mandatory isolation.

I'm less hopeful about some of the hotels in the pipeline. To be fair most were not going to happen anyway, but Customs House Quay, Sullivans Quay, even Grand Parade hostel would have added to the city centre streetscape. Who knows maybe those will reappear as fully/partially apartments instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Absolutely - its actually probably a good time for building to ready for the bounceback, few people around etc., would be nice to see things that have started go the distance. If its a matter of weeks for the most severe lockdown they may ease up on construction sites in the first lessening since they were some of the last to go into mandatory isolation.

I'm less hopeful about some of the hotels in the pipeline. To be fair most were not going to happen anyway, but Customs House Quay, Sullivans Quay, even Grand Parade hostel would have added to the city centre streetscape. Who knows maybe those will reappear as fully/partially apartments instead.

Tbf Sullivan's Quay was at best going to start in tandem with the Events centre but there was no guarantee even if that would happen. Grand Parade Hostel was a get planning and flip it site. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Hogans Quay Hotel and the York Street Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

opus wrote: »
    The apartments on Millerd St were coming along nicely before work stopped. I like that they put something better than just concrete on the ground floor as it would have looked very bleak.

507747.jpg

that stonework effect looks really awful imo. cheap and nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Since it is technically in the city now - the site across from the McDonalds in Ballincollig has been cleared and a site office installed.

Was driving a the time so did not read the planning notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Since it is technically in the city now - the site across from the McDonalds in Ballincollig has been cleared and a site office installed.

Was driving a the time so did not read the planning notice.

The most recent planning application for this site was for a community healthcare centre.

Before that, a planning application went in for housing and before that a drive thru restaurant

Advertisement