Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If there's planning on a site is it exempt from a vacant site levy... ??
    Just wondering is there a major financial impetous to get a site with planning flipped fast ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Another batch of apartments in for planning.

Plans for almost 50 apartments on Cork's Model Farm Road

Presume this is at the top of Inchigaggin Lane, often run out that way & those are the only disused farm buildings I've spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

mire wrote: »
    that stonework effect looks really awful imo. cheap and nasty.

I live beside this thing and that dirty red/brown Kingspan cladding is very intrusive. The old run down warehouse that was there before was far less imposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

That red cladding is horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That building with the red cowshed patch is so ugly it actually makes me sad to look at

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    That building with the red cowshed patch is so ugly it actually makes me sad to look at

Wait, that's not temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Haha maybe it is, but I have never seen corrugated steel attached to a building facade during construction process. I dont know what purpose it serves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

wakka12 wrote: »
    Haha maybe it is, but I have never seen corrugated steel attached to a building facade during construction process. I dont know what purpose it serves

It's hideous overall and completely dominates outwards. Walked past it (on my way to gawp at a Tesla model 3) for the first time since they started work and was kinda shocked by the brutality of it. Hopefully they softened it a bit with landscaping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

I see that the old Dennehy's Cross Garage has had badly needed, but minor. tidy up. The old hoardings are gone, and it looks like the shutters have been replaced. the old shop/PO beside it has had a minor exterior tidy up too.

any plans afoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

No. It is the final finish.
    It looks desperate from street level, and from the Mercy side. Thankfully, it isn't that visible from elsewhere.

There's actually brick on the south side of the building, which you can see from Moore St. Would have been a far superior choice of material for the northwestern and southwestern sections

• Advertisement

Don't think it's the greatest in the world either but still think it's better than the bare concrete that was there before, that would have been bleaker than bleak.

This is where the student apartments on the Mardyke have been left for now (it's within my 2k loop from the house).

508569.jpg

Good bit of apartment action going on according to the Echo.

In Blackrock - Developers lodge pre-application for 250 residential units in Cork suburb

In Ballincollig - City Council gives green light for Ballincollig apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

opus wrote: »
    Don't think it's the greatest in the world either but still think it's better than the bare concrete that was there before, that would have been bleaker than bleak.

This is where the student apartments on the Mardyke have been left for now (it's within my 2k loop from the house).

508569.jpg

Is that taken from the pedestrian lane that goes from the Western Road to the Mardyke? I think it's called Noel Cantwell Walk?

Seamai wrote: »
    Is that taken from the pedestrian lane that goes from the Western Road to the Mardyke? I think it's called Noel Cantwell Walk?

Yup exactly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The most bizarre thing I've seen so far this year.

Someone hinting at the council to plant more trees/greenery in the city perhaps? All the bricks are still there so seems to be something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

A planning application is to be lodged to relocate Goulding fertiliser facility from Cork's south docklands to the former Irish Fertiliser Industries (IFI) site at Marino Point in Cork Harbour. Goulding and Belvelly Marino Development Company (BMDC) have announced their intention to submit a joint planning application in May to Cork County Council for the proposed development. If the development proceeds, it will free up large sections of land in the Cork docklands for future redevelopment.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/cork-docklands-fertiliser-facility-to-move-to-marino-point-993956.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Apogee wrote: »
    Isn't there since EPA restriction on building residential accommodation in the virginity of that site? Good to see that ball is rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shedite27 wrote: »

It's a couple of million which could drive much needed economic activity. I wouldn't be as worried about the funding as I would be about viability post Covid, will BAM and Live nation come back looking for more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

TheChizler wrote: »
    Isn't there since EPA restriction on building residential accommodation in the virginity of that site? Good to see that ball is rolling.

What do you mean here?

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    What do you mean here?

Vicinity :pac:

Big chunk of text from the Cork City Local Area Plan. HSA not EPA.
    Three Seveso sites are currently located in the South Docks. Topaz Energy Ltd and National Oil Reserves
    Agency (NORA) sites are located off Centre Park Road, whilst the Goulding’s Fertiliser plant, which has
    recently become a notifiable facility under the Seveso II Directive, is located to the west between Centre Park
    Road and Monahan’s Road. The location of these sites is illustrated in Figure 4.4.
    The Seveso regulations apply to the storage of dangerous substances in quantities equal to or above specified
    thresholds. Sites are identified and subject to development advice by the Health and Safety Authority (H.S.A.),
    in accordance with Directive 1996/82/EC and Irish Regulation S.I. No. 476 of 2000 and revision (S.I. 74 of
    2006).
    The designation as a Seveso site, means that some restrictions apply to proposed land uses in the surrounding
    area, as identified by the HSA. While each site will incur differing restrictions, generally, the closer a proposed
    development is located to a Seveso site, the more land use occupation and density restrictions will apply. New
    developments will be referred to the HSA within the following distances from a Seveso site:
    Topaz Energy Ltd Site: 400m referral boundary
    NORA Site: 300m referral boundary
    Gouldings Fertiliser Site: 700m referral boundary and HSA land use zones
    High-density residential development is normally not permitted in areas immediately adjoining Seveso sites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Isnt that going to limit what can be built there unless topaz and nora move out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Surely all petrochemical storage - particularly national strategic reserves - should be consolidated in the virginity vicinity of Aghada. It seems weird and dangerous to have it almost in the centre of the country’s second largest city.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

Vicinity :pac:

That's from the existing LAP which was written a long time ago since then the Oil reserve has shut and the only Sevezo site is the Goulding Fertilisers.

rebs23 wrote: »
    That's from the existing LAP which was written a long time ago since then the Oil reserve has shut and the only Sevezo site is the Goulding Fertilisers.

And soon that'll be gone, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

And soon that'll be gone, hopefully.

It's a pity though that the National Oil Reserve Management Agency can't make good the lands, demolish and make safe the unused Oil tanks, etc. Looks awful. They actually demolished and made safe their lands in Galway Harbour for the Galway tall ships event I think?

rebs23 wrote: »
    It's a pity though that the National Oil Reserve Management Agency can't make good the lands, demolish and make safe the unused Oil tanks, etc. Looks awful. They actually demolished and made safe their lands in Galway Harbour for the Galway tall ships event I think?
    True. I'm guessing it's simpler for them to sell the land for half nothing and let the buyer pay for decontamination and demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

The most bizarre thing I've seen so far this year.

Someone hinting at the council to plant more trees/greenery in the city perhaps? All the bricks are still there so seems to be something like that.

Was this a one-time thing or has it happened more? Bizarre indeed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for engineering consultants to work with Cork City Council on the Monahan Road extension project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/165473/1/0

Anyone have any details on what the scope of this extension is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Advertisement