Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

snotboogie wrote: »
    Planning gone in for the Moore's Hotel site. Mixed use office and hotel development, 4 to 6 stories, no pictures yet.

Echo wrote:
    Quakeside Ltd have been granted conditional permission for the construction of a four to six storey development which would incorporate both office and hotel use at the former Moore’s hotel site on Morrison’s Quay, as well as the conservation of a number of protected structures to accommodate office buildings.The development incorporates numbers 9-14 Morrison’s Quay, 5-5A Fitton Street, 1 Keeffe Street, and adjoining lands backing onto Catherine and Keeffe Street.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Green-light-for-major-development-on-former-Moores-Hotel-site-363bb9f1-e0e8-44ce-9bf5-3bcad631995d-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Glad to see something happen with it. But not a big fan of the design though, those block buildings on the end are chronic, and the staggered windows just dont work here. Is there an architect left in the country that can slope a roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Glad to see something happen with it. But not a big fan of the design though, those block buildings on the end are chronic, and the staggered windows just dont work here. Is there an architect left in the country that can slope a roof?

It looks like a half-dozen badly stacked pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I think thats an outdated photomontage. Here is a new one from ssc

The old proposal

The new=
    4xQINBG.jpg

6DgDznG.jpg

Lowered in height and will have limestone and render facades to match the preservation buildings

Oh christ, those off centre designs are like a bad Escher painting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Agree those look terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Makes you nauseous just by looking at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

they look awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Will be great to have Premier Inn in Cork but I wish they'd redo that design! Why didn't the council cop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks horrendous. Not exactly fitting in with other buildings around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I usually seem to like what people dislike around these parts but I don't like this. It's hideous.

Will be great to have Premier Inn in Cork but I wish they'd redo that design! Why didn't the council cop it?

It seemed like they did intiially - they said please consider the height of the end buildings etc etc. But architect just lobbed off a floor and it was all approved. I dont think the height itself was ever the issue, just to the right of that we have much taller buildings in Island House.

They should have been made to properly reinstate the corner building here to fit with the block, including (and especially) the roofline.
    https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/morrisons-quay-in-cork-ireland-royalty-free-image/TR007035

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Oh christ, those off centre designs are like a bad Escher painting

I'm usually all for development but I agree. Truly awful. I hope that's not the actual design they're going for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender out for engineering consultants to work with Cork City Council on the Monahan Road extension project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/165473/1/0

Anyone have any details on what the scope of this extension is?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/new-cork-road-network-paves-way-for-eastern-gateway-bridge-995469.html

Looks like its an upgrade of the Monahan Road as far as the Eastern Gateway Bridge approach

Will be used to facilitate the Ford Distribution Centre development, and will incorporate cycling, bus and pedestrian infrastructure, along with the culverting of the adjacent stream

28 months for planning and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Horgans Quay is coming along nicely - even though there's a temporary halt in place. Hadn't been over that way for a while and was impressed with the glass building ...No. 2..?

Be great to see the Prism make progress too...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/new-cork-road-network-paves-way-for-eastern-gateway-bridge-995469.html

Looks like its an upgrade of the Monahan Road as far as the Eastern Gateway Bridge approach

Will be used to facilitate the Ford Distribution Centre development, and will incorporate cycling, bus and pedestrian infrastructure, along with the culverting of the adjacent stream

28 months for planning and design.
    The entire project is estimated to take some 28 months from the awarding of the contract until the handover stage.

Jesus, I had hoped the handover was to the council upon completion.

I wonder what will happened with the Ford Site now? Very good chance that it just gets mothballed unless there is a heroic recovery in the next 18 months. Same with the JCD tower, what demand will there be for build to let in the next few years? It would be an awful shame if all of these big projects were to fall apart since Cork hadn't fully recovered but had great things planned for 2021 onwards.

Jesus, I had hoped the handover was to the council upon completion.

I wonder what will happened with the Ford Site now? Very good chance that it just gets mothballed unless there is a heroic recovery in the next 18 months. Same with the JCD tower, what demand will there be for build to let in the next few years? It would be an awful shame if all of these big projects were to fall apart since Cork hadn't fully recovered but had great things planned for 2021 onwards.

Thats right, we will have to see what the effect is as we dont really know, but certainly worrying. In an optimistic world, construction will be back in the next few weeks and developers, where their plans have a few years lead time like those you mention, keep trucking to be coming ready for the bounceback as you say. Very hard to know though, and for certain the council and exchequer will have been hurt badly so the already far-too-slow supporting works we all hope for will surely be delayed.

Only a huge economic stimulus plan would change that picture, and I really think they should with lending rates being what they are, but it doesnt change the principal of those loans needing to be paid back in years time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/latmofficial/status/1253670073946030081

LATM to continue at current site in 2021. Puts a dampener on Glenveagh’s plans that had LATM finishing there in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

https://twitter.com/latmofficial/status/1253670073946030081

LATM to continue at current site in 2021. Puts a dampener on Glenveagh’s plans that had LATM finishing there in 2020

Site already sold afaik so presume developer allowed them to. Guess might have to rethink plans given current situation so maybe buys them time until after next summer.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/First-step-to-be-taken-on-200m-plan-to-improve-Corks-bus-service-3b08c640-9ad9-43cf-8ffc-bcd395771ca8-ds

Procurement process for the design and planning of Cork light rail started earlier this month. Same to begin for BusConnects Cork in May.

• Advertisement

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/First-step-to-be-taken-on-200m-plan-to-improve-Corks-bus-service-3b08c640-9ad9-43cf-8ffc-bcd395771ca8-ds

Procurement process for the design and planning of Cork light rail started earlier this month. Same to begin for BusConnects Cork in May.

What would we be looking at for possible start dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I would be very surprised if the Cork Luas ever actually happens, sadly. It'll get all the way to being ready for construction then a minister will order a redesign because they don't want to actually spend the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I would be very surprised if the Cork Luas ever actually happens, sadly. It'll get all the way to being ready for construction then a minister will order a redesign because they don't want to actually spend the money.

True there will never be a luas in Cork, Anyhow if they were actually serious about it, they would be planning it to serve Carrigaline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

What would we be looking at for possible start dates?

True there will never be a luas in Cork, Anyhow if they were actually serious about it, they would be planning it to serve Carrigaline too.

I'm not sure Carrigaline would even make it to a North/South line (that would be the airport to Blackpool I'd imagine), I can't see how you would get Carrigaline on an East/West line like what is being proposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Couldn't they build something when the motorway is being done as said port of cork is going to bring a lot of extra traffic not to mind incinerator if it happens.

Curious, would laden trams like LUAS handle hills at the airport? Anywhere I've been has had much smaller trans for hilly areas and they are as slow as fawk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

At one point the plan was carrigaline to ballincolig via mahon and the train station...but that got shelved ... ( Not necessarily scrapped )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I'm not sure Carrigaline would even make it to a North/South line (that would be the airport to Blackpool I'd imagine), I can't see how you would get Carrigaline on an East/West line like what is being proposed?

The previous rail line that is proposed to be used for the eastern section of the never to be seen luas ran to Carrigaline via Passage though A new line to be efficient should go through Rochestown and to the back of Garryduff which would require tunnelling or digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Curious, would laden trams like LUAS handle hills at the airport? Anywhere I've been has had much smaller trans for hilly areas and they are as slow as fawk

Beats walking, doesn't it?

Advertisement