Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

Beats walking, doesn't it?

It does but they are local use, short hop and not mass transit, replacing cars.

But someone might be able to tell me that the gradient is not too much of an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://bathtrams.uk/can-trams-deal-with-baths-hills-hill-climbing-capability-of-trams/

Don't know what the gradient to the airport is, but 10% - 12% seems manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

blindsider wrote: »
    https://bathtrams.uk/can-trams-deal-with-baths-hills-hill-climbing-capability-of-trams/

Don't know what the gradient to the airport is, but 10% - 12% seems manageable.

Average gradient for the whole hill from the KRR to the top is 4.2%. The first part to the Bull McCabe is 3.8%. The part after that is 4.4%.

cantalach wrote: »
    Average gradient for the whole hill from the KRR to the top is 4.2%. The first part to the Bull McCabe is 3.8%. The part after that is 4.4%.

Which is not much at all but honestly asking if the LUAS sized trams in Dublin can do it (on a frozen Dec morning)?

I mean, I would be hoping that they can

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There'll never be a Luas to the Airport so it's an academic question at best. If we see an east-west Luas before 2050 it would be a miracle to be honest.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There'll never be a Luas to the Airport so it's an academic question at best. If we see an east-west Luas before 2050 it would be a miracle to be honest.

Imagine Airport -> Frankfield -> Town
    Would be great and take massive pressure off Airport hill and Kinsale Road Junction. Also a park and ride there, in conjunction with a new airport car park would be great.

We can only dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Why not, if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Interesting discussion ongoing on the Dunkettle interchange thread that I thought might be better suited to here. It seems many on that thread are afraid of the Greens coming in and mothballing the interchange and the M20 in favour of public transport. I was just thinking that maybe we would be better off with Busconnects Cork, Cluas and the CMATS cycling infrastructure (including Lee to Sea) than we would be with the interchange and the M20? While our road infrastructure is underfunded our public transport infrastructure is non existent.

I must admit I don't understand a lot of the decisions around our roads, to me it seems like the NRR is the cornerstone that all of our motorway infrastructure needs to branch from yet it is the last on the to do list. Why are projects like Macroom to Ballyvourney proceeding ahead of the NRR and Ballincollig to Macroom for that matter? How can the M20 possible be built without the NRR? Are they just going to run a motorway into a housing estate? At the same time why was the Gort to Tuam motorway built before Cork to Limerick?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Interesting discussion ongoing on the Dunkettle interchange thread that I thought might be better suited to here. It seems many on that thread are afraid of the Greens coming in and mothballing the interchange and the M20 in favour of public transport. I was just thinking that maybe we would be better off with Busconnects Cork, Cluas and the CMATS cycling infrastructure (including Lee to Sea) than we would be with the interchange and the M20? While our road infrastructure is underfunded our public transport infrastructure is non existent.

I must admit I don't understand a lot of the decisions around our roads, to me it seems like the NRR is the cornerstone that all of our motorway infrastructure needs to branch from yet it is the last on the to do list. Why are projects like Macroom to Ballyvourney proceeding ahead of the NRR and Ballincollig to Macroom for that matter? How can the M20 possible be built without the NRR? Are they just going to run a motorway into a housing estate? At the same time why was the Gort to Tuam motorway built before Cork to Limerick?

Most people using Dunkettle have no interest or requirement to go into the city.
    Our heavy industry (rightly or wrongly) is affected by this, including the people working there.
    Having them filter into the city will mean that we will also need to make massive investment in public transport direct to these areas also.

We will not get City based public transport AND a massive investment into public transport to Airport, Ringaskiddy, and such.

We need Dunkettle and CMATS to correct the issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

True there will never be a luas in Cork, Anyhow if they were actually serious about it, they would be planning it to serve Carrigaline too.

At the very least, you'd think having a stop on the South side of the Douglas river would be a moderate addition but a huge improvement. If you had a station there (somewhere just to the East of Harty's Quay) people could drive from Passage / Carrigaline to the station, park up and take the light rail into the city centre or Ballincollig etc.

Without that one station, you'll have a LOT of traffic pass through the traffic bottleneck in Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Another 450 home development plan filed in Douglas to add on to Marlboro Ridge, according to breaking news..c.315houses ,88 apartments, 46 duplex.
    Why are the Council allowing an unsustainable spread of suburbs.
    Doesn't work in Dublin , why would it work in Cork.

blindsider wrote: »
    Why not, if I may ask?

No political will or desire to do so to start with. Also on a purely practical front it isn't included in the CMATS so it'll be at least the 2040s before it might be on the agenda. And that's assuming that CMATS gets delivered which is a big assumption to make at this point.

Also is it actually needed? Over and above other things like the East West Luas line, busconnects, docklands expansion, suburban rail expansion and electrification etc. I would've thought that getting those things sorted out would be well ahead of a luas to the airport. Hardly a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

No political will or desire to do so to start with. Also on a purely practical front it isn't included in the CMATS so it'll be at least the 2040s before it might be on the agenda. And that's assuming that CMATS gets delivered which is a big assumption to make at this point.

Also is it actually needed? Over and above other things like the East West Luas line, busconnects, docklands expansion, suburban rail expansion and electrification etc. I would've thought that getting those things sorted out would be well ahead of a luas to the airport. Hardly a priority.

It is in cmats?

It is in cmats?

No it isn't. A bus corridor is proposed.

A two-way continuous bus lane is proposed under
    CMATS to improve public transport priority
    between Cork Airport and Cork City Centre.

CMATS Pg 87

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

No it isn't. A bus corridor is proposed.

A two-way continuous bus lane is proposed under
    CMATS to improve public transport priority
    between Cork Airport and Cork City Centre.

CMATS Pg 87

Ah I was talking about the concept of light rail itself. Not specifically to airport. Obviously that's never happening like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Took a wander towards the train station at lunchtime, this is where progress stopped on the hotel.

511309.jpg

Spotted this as well, wonder if it's a buried cannon like on Grand Parade?

511310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a bollard to protect the corner from cart wheels.
    Hopefully it'll be left in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Construction on that Hogan's Quay site has been slow from the start.
    The had those insulation panels up at least 6 months ago and they still aren't all covered.
    Surely it's not good for these to get wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

Has anyone heard anything about plans for the old Sunset Ridge Hotel out in Kileens? It sold a few moths back but all quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭RINO87

Has anyone heard anything about plans for the old Sunset Ridge Hotel out in Kileens? It sold a few moths back but all quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

RINO87 wrote: »

Nothing recent. There were rumours of it being converted to a funeral home a couple of years ago.

thejuggler wrote: »
    Nothing recent. There were rumours of it being converted to a funeral home a couple of years ago.

Would be quite suitable for that, actually.

Noticed planning for 43 units near the Centra at the junction of Magazine Road & Glasheen Road. It's from the city council so guessing social housing. Used to be a car dealership if I remember.

The Odlums building on the docks really needs some tlc as it's looking the worse for wear. Noticed the Odlums sign is gone now as well. It that part of the chuck of land that Glenveagh a while back?

511686.jpg

opus wrote: »
    The Odlums building on the docks really needs some tlc as it's looking the worse for wear. Noticed the Odlums sign is gone now as well. It that part of the chuck of land that Glenveagh a while back?

511686.jpg

Nope it's part of the massive land bank bought by OCP last year. It's looking extremely unlikely that anything will happen there anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

opus wrote: »

511686.jpg

Man that building would make some cool New York type apartment block - imagine the cool Penthouse !!

whatever76 wrote: »
    Man that building would make some cool New York type apartment block - imagine the cool Penthouse !!

And it would, honestly, lend itself to a large structure behind the current building.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That is such a nice building. It looks like old warehouses you'd see in Boston and Philly and the North east US

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Pity it’s not on the other side of the river,South Facing. That building is slightly Facing Northwest with very little sun to light up the Building,so much so for all its beauty and size it goes unnoticed by the majority of traffic traveling up The Horgan Quay.

• Advertisement

Is it too early to speculate what will resume construction when restrictions on that industry are lifted? Will Horgan's Quay keep going? The Prism?

I assume Penrose Dock will finish. I assume the York Street hotel will stop?

Advertisement