Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

rebs23 wrote: »
    Like trams?:)

Absolutely correct

Cork Electric Tramways and Lighting Company from 1898-1931
    It used serve X 3 routes which were:
    • Blackpool to Douglas
    • Summerhill to Sunday's Well
    • Tivoli to Blackrock

What is also interesting to note is that apparently the gauge of the tramway was 900 mm (2 ft 11 7⁄16 in) gauge, selected to allow trains from the 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge Cork and Muskerry Light Railway and the Cork, Blackrock and Passage Railway to connect using the tram lines.

In present day Cork, if you were to reintroduce a light rail system it would obviously need to also cater for the population not just within the city centre itself but would also need to serve those living in the suburbs and outskirts given that Cork City's boundary extension took place in 2019.

Blackpool,
    Glanmire/Riverstown
    Tivoli,
    Blarney/Tower,
    Ballincollig/Ovens
    Wilton/Bishopstown,
    Blackrock/Mahon,
    Carrigaline
    Ringaskiddy
    Douglas/Grange
    Rochestown/Passage West
    Togher/Doughcloyne
    Cork Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No timeline on the new pedestrianisation other than "we're working on it" and that it will be temporary only if/when it happens. Also:

"To me, this has to be led by the people who are on the street, running their businesses, because they’re the ones who will have to make it work,” she [Ann Doherty] said." Confirming what we already know; the traders call the shots in City Hall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm absolutely sickened after reading that article.

And the likes of Paul Street only being pedestrianised from 11 to 5...useless.what the hell like?

We are so screwed with this management team in City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And the likes of Paul Street only being pedestrianised from 11 to 5...useless.what the hell like?

Business do need a window for deleveries.
    But in Cork, this window is 18 hours!

We are so screwed with this management team in City Hall.

It just read like a pr piece for the City Hall. No opposing views. No hard questions. I mean it's 8 weeks since this lockdown started and still the City Hall response: "we're working on it". Apart from the Marina, which they were basically forced into closing, they've done fook all. Embarrassingly bad.

• Advertisement

Business do need a window for deleveries.
    But in Cork, this window is 18 hours!

Loading hours wouldn't be an issue.

And you've only got to laugh at them giving themselves a pat on the back for re-pedestrianising Oliver Plunkett Street, like its some massive feat.

We need fresh faces in City Council management quickly.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It just read like a pr piece for the City Hall. No opposing views. No hard questions. I mean it's 8 weeks since this lockdown started and City Hall are still and their response: we're "working on it". Apart from the Marina, which they were basically forced into closing, they've done fook all. Embarrassingly bad.

And even with the Marina, took them close to 3 weeks just to put up barriers that don't even close off the whole road! Cars can still drive around it easily at the end of Centre Pk Rd.

It's ALWAYS about catering for the bloody car..

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

And you've only got to laugh at them giving themselves a pat on the back for re-pedestrianising Oliver Plunkett Street, like its some massive feat.

Can the citizenry bring that about? Is management appointed by elected councillors? Surely we elect the councillors, the elected representatives dictate policy and new thinking.

Can the citizenry bring that about? Is management appointed by elected councillors? Surely we elect the councillors, the elected representatives dictate policy and new thinking.

CEO is appointed by the councillors. Unfortunately the voters elect the same old faces to the council every 5 years. The likes of Shannon, Cahill, Martin etc who are the loudest voices on the council have been elected to the council for election after election after election and bring nothing new in terms of ideas.

The electorate decided last year that they didn't want to have the power to elect the Lord Mayor with executive powers and so we are stuck with the status quo of the same old councillors and an unelected bureaucratic CEO.

CEO is appointed by the councillors. Unfortunately the voters elect the same old faces to the council every 5 years. The likes of Shannon, Cahill, Martin etc who are the loudest voices on the council have been elected to the council for election after election after election and bring nothing new in terms of ideas.

The electorate decided last year that they didn't want to have the power to elect the Lord Mayor with executive powers and so we are stuck with the status quo of the same old councillors and am unelected bureaucratic CEO.

Yea the rejection of the mayor plebecite was weird.

• Advertisement

Yea the rejection of the mayor plebecite was weird.

It was unfortunate. It'll be a long time before we will see real change in local government in Cork. Limerick meanwhile is scheduled to have its mayoral election next year. Maybe it'll be a disaster for them but I doubt it.

I also meant to say that when people do point out issues and how they'd like the city to develop i.e. Tramore Valley Park access and more sustainable transport options, they get called names and are dismissed by elected officials.

It was unfortunate. It'll be a long time before we will see real change in local government in Cork. Limerick meanwhile is scheduled to have its mayoral election next year. Maybe it'll be a disaster for them but I doubt it.

I also meant to say that when people do point out issues and how they'd like the city to develop i.e. Tramore Valley Park access and more sustainable transport options, they get called names and are dismissed by elected officials.

Let me close my eyes and picture the blocking elected officials...'male'...'white'...'60-75'..'possibly bald'...'GAA stalwarts'...'never lived outside of Cork in their lives except for that time in Templemore/Mary I'

This is interesting. Same arguments being used in Cork today.

Just to dispel the "it's too wet in Cork" myth. Number of rainy days (more than 0.1mm of rain) in Copenhagen:

average-raindays-denmark-copenhagen.png

vs Cork:

average-raindays-ireland-cork.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

No timeline on the new pedestrianisation other than "we're working on it" and that it will be temporary only if/when it happens. Also:

"To me, this has to be led by the people who are on the street, running their businesses, because they’re the ones who will have to make it work,” she [Ann Doherty] said." Confirming what we already know; the traders call the shots in City Hall. :(

That's just cover. Lot of businesses have publicly said they want to see more streets pedestrianised like Caroline St and Princes St.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/business-owners-seek-outdoor-dining-for-corks-princes-street-996598.html

TBH I don't see any real need for drivers being able to drive down streets off Oliver Plunkett St.

Dublin seems to be able to make changes far quicker, even though presumably will affect more drivers. Pace of change with Cork City Council is glacial. If you don't make radical changes now, when will they?

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's just cover. Lot of businesses have publicly said they want to see more streets pedestrianised like Caroline St and Princes St.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/business-owners-seek-outdoor-dining-for-corks-princes-street-996598.html

TBH I don't see any real need for drivers being able to drive down streets off Oliver Plunkett St.

Dublin seems to be able to make changes far quicker, even though presumably will affect more drivers. Pace of change with Cork City Council is glacial. If you don't make radical changes now, when will they?

From reading up on it, the council are not going to go ahead with the Caroline St and Princes St business requests. You're right, they are glacially slow. Dublin doing much much more in the same legal environment so city hall hiding behind the consultation/planning excuses is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

From reading up on it, the council are not going to go ahead with the Caroline St and Princes St business requests. You're right, they are glacially slow. Dublin doing much much more in the same legal environment so city hall hiding behind the consultation/planning excuses is very disappointing.

Yeah they just use traders as cover when it suits, when those businesses are asking for more pedestrianisation, they ignore it. Wonder is it influenced by council getting income from car parking charges? City centre would be far more enjoyable and liveable city with more public amenities and being able to sit outside cafes and restaurants. The conservative approach is disheartening.

Eod100 wrote: »

Never.
    And that's exactly what they're hoping to do.
    Hence why we've promsies of partial pedestrianisation of minor streets and a CEO point blank refusing to give a timeline.

Regarding the directly elected mayor vote, it was a tight loss. And you can blame the likes of Terry Shannon for spreading false information and crap about salaries to get many to vote against it.

The city is screwed with this shower of goons.

Calls from Cork Chamber, who represent the vast majority of businesses in the city, have been mostly ignored, especially when it comes to pedestrianisation of the inner city and improvements to cycling infrastructure.

I for one can't believe they'd ignore the requests of the Princes Street traders about the outdoor dining. It sounded like a fantastic idea and one that could comply with social distancing etc.

So for them to use "traders" as an excuse to hide behind simply doesn't stick. They're defying the majority of traders and citizens requests and keeping the city pretty much "as is" with ridiculous amounts of traffic and a depressing inner core ruined by fumes and excess vehicular noise.

I for one love the city and try to support it as much as I can, but I travel in by bike, and the two fingers given to me and others who travel via sustainable methods is just offensive really. So, so disappointing.

The city has so much damn potential and it genuinely upsets me the direction City Hall are going.

I for one love the city and try to support it as much as I can, but I travel in by bike, and the two fingers given to me and others who travel via sustainable methods is just offensive really. So, so disappointing.

The city has so much damn potential and it genuinely upsets me the direction City Hall are going.

Full agree. Currently WFH but normally travel to work using the train. I used to also use the coke bikes from the train station to my place of work but gave up on that and walk instead because of firstly, the neglect of the scheme and the disrepair of the bikes and secondly, the dangerous state of cycling facilities from the constantly blocked Alfred Street bike lane to disappearing/non existent bike lanes at bridges/streets throughout the city. Very disappointing where City Hall is going.

Ennis in Clare bringing in extensive pedestrianisation from this week as part of a phased pedestrianisation. Facilities for deliveries included with pedestrianisation from 7am to 6pm each day. A great start and about a billion times more progressive and innovative than City Hall.

In relation to Denmark, how many people actually live within the pedestrianised areas?

Just wish that Cork had a higher population in the city centre, outside Middle Parish

• Advertisement

Circling the wagons in City Hall.

Oh this keeps getting better and better.

Terry calling on those to apologise to Ann, after publishing an article calling us all the names under the sun.

Are the Echo short on stories this month or what?

Oh this keeps getting better and better.

Terry calling on those to apologise to Ann, after publishing an article calling us all the names under the sun.

Are the Echo short on stories this month or what?

Echo is terrible. Literal mouthpiece for the city council. No hard questions, no analysis. Even in this article not a mention of Terry Shannon calling large swathes of the community names but poor Ann is getting some heat. Useless shower.

Echo is terrible. Literal mouthpiece for the city council. No hard questions, no analysis. Even in this article not a mention of Terry Shannon calling large swathes of the community names but poor Ann is getting some heat. Useless shower.

Seems to be very much a one-way form of communication at the moment alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When did they repedestrianise Oliver plunket street ?
    I drove down it on Tuesday ,and then Patrick street ,trying to find a loading Bay ,all the loading bays were full of private cars,and I was struggling to get anywhere near princess's street to make a delivery ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I drove down it on Tuesday ,and then Patrick street ,trying to find a loading Bay ,all the loading bays were full of private cars,and I was struggling to get anywhere near princess's street to make a delivery ....

They haven't yet. And they are letting cars park with impunity in designated loading bays. Essentially they have made the situation worse for everyone: traders, pedestrians, delivery drivers etc. Everyone except those in their cars that is.

Markcheese wrote: »

From tomorrow apparently.

I agree, like cycle lanes, loading bays are continuously abused and ignored by City Hall, Gardai and parking wardens. I can't imagine how hard it is for delivery drivers.

They haven't yet. And they are letting cars park with impunity in designated loading bays. Essentially they have made the situation worse for everyone: traders, pedestrians, delivery drivers etc. Everyone except those in their cars that is.

Yup. The private motor car gets priority over all else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

does not matter if the pedestrianize or bot...the city is dead.

Who is going to go through town traffic, look for parking to walk around a city with countless closed up shops.....when they can go to blackpool or mahon get easy parking, have places argos, there are cinemas,decent restaurants etc

Bar pubs at night, I find there is nothing to go to the city centre for, unless avoiding junkies is your pastime

• Advertisement

When you think about it the city council executive gets away very lightly. Every major infrastructure project under her watch has been a calamity of mismanagement in one way or another.

Tramore Valley Park: delivered years behind schedule and ongoing significant access issues.
    Marina Park: again years behind schedule with nothing happening down there. The GAA managed to build a stadium in that time meanwhile tumbleweed on the park element.
    Event Centre: epic disaster.
    Tivoli and Docklands Local Area Plans: these were meant to be published ages ago. No sign.
    City cycling plan: a piecemeal shambles and the coke bikes scheme is in a sad state of disrepair.

And more besides with no accountability for any it.

Advertisement