Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Is it a coincidence that there's been a number of developments pushed forward in the docklands area after the initial reaction to the 40 story project? I believe at the time (An Taisce perhaps?) there were calls that it would stick out.

Since then we've had the initial Navigation building fly up and due to be finished, the Flat Iron by Parnell place (same developers as the 40 story), and now the Victoria rd. apartments planning go in - or am I mistaken and the Victoria Rd. Apartments were always due to be part of the Navigation quarter development?

Either way, I think the 40 story building will stick out less or negate much of the grounding for an 'eyesore' argument, given the other planned developments around it, should they go ahead, which, I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

D'Agger wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that there's been a number of developments pushed forward in the docklands area after the initial reaction to the 40 story project? I believe at the time (An Taisce perhaps?) there were calls that it would stick out.

Since then we've had the initial Navigation building fly up and due to be finished, the Flat Iron by Parnell place (same developers as the 40 story), and now the Victoria rd. apartments planning go in - or am I mistaken and the Victoria Rd. Apartments were always due to be part of the Navigation quarter development?

Either way, I think the 40 story building will stick out less or negate much of the grounding for an 'eyesore' argument, given the other planned developments around it, should they go ahead, which, I hope they do.

I still think it's an odd location for it, but still it (IMO) should look a lot better if it's not the only tall building in that area, the Prism especially being so close; and the proposed new hotel behind the bus station too is 7 floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I’d go as far to introduce a 10 storey minimum from R&H Hall downwards.

Brownfield sites in the docks are exhaustive and we don’t want it ending up like Dublin.

Ideally we’d have a nice cluster of 30 story buildings with some landmark skyscrapers intertwined. Mixed use office / residential and shopping.

We can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Brownfield sites in the docks are exhaustive and we don’t want it ending up like Dublin.

Ideally we’d have a nice cluster of 30 story buildings with some landmark skyscrapers intertwined. Mixed use office / residential and shopping.

We can dream.

We have to learn from Dublins mistakes, we have a blank canvess to do something unique by Irish standards and I believe the will is there from the high ups to see it happen. Cork can be the Rotterdam of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We can dream.

In terms of developments, one would imagine that R&H Hall and the Odlums building are next in line for announcements. I still think a lot hinges on office take ups for Navigation Square phase 1, as far as I know nobody has booked space there since the Clearstream announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If I were a company looking at office space in Cork, an immediate flag is the lack of housing, and decent city housing at that.

There really needs to be a push now for some residential development on the Docklands sites, and pronto.

marno21 wrote: »
    If I were a company looking at office space in Cork, an immediate flag is the lack of housing, and decent city housing at that.

There really needs to be a push now for some residential development on the Docklands sites, and pronto.
    It's a few years off, as with the planned development of the docklands, but the old port will have residential capacity, along with the Dunkettle, which will also span out to Carrigtwohill where there's a large number of houses planned.

The council is looking to improve transport in line with this - it's not ideal now, it won't be perfect in the future but as somebody mentioned - I think the powers that be can see the gaps and are looking to fill them both regarding building upwards in the city, granting housing developments permission and improving transport

marno21 wrote: »

Absolutely. Not only because the city obviously needs it, generally; but anyone working AND living in the docklands is someone not commuting across town, worsening the traffic problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

who_me wrote: »
    Absolutely. Not only because the city obviously needs it, generally; but anyone working AND living in the docklands is someone not commuting across town, worsening the traffic problems.

Indeed

And the fact that these new buildings are coming with no extra road capacity or parking. The days of living in Carrigaline/Glanmire/Blarney/Ballincollig and driving in aren't feasible anymore

The one thing especially useful for Horgan's Quay and related developments around that area is that it'll be a very handy commute for anyone in Mallow/Middleton/Carrigtwohill/Cobh

snotboogie wrote: »
    In terms of developments, one would imagine that R&H Hall and the Odlums building are next in line for announcements. I still think a lot hinges on office take ups for Navigation Square phase 1, as far as I know nobody has booked space there since the Clearstream announcement.

Have the developers of Penrose Dock or Horgan's Quay announced any potential tenants yet? There's also 8,000 m2 of office space in the Sullivan's Quay development and the new blocks on South Mall.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Have the developers of Penrose Dock or Horgan's Quay announced any potential tenants yet? There's also 8,000 m2 of office space in the Sullivan's Quay development and the new blocks on South Mall.

Penrose Dock have said that they are in advanced talks with tenants. Horgan's Quay have a hotel tenant, which is why they are building that first. Same with Sullivan's Quay, they have a hotel tenant but no word on the office. The South Mall developments are essentially full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The Navigation Square building is really taking shape.

458561.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did I see a crane around the old woodies on Pouladuff road yesterday? Spotted it from The Lough, but forgot to take a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Did I see a crane around the old woodies on Pouladuff road yesterday? Spotted it from The Lough, but forgot to take a pic.

Soundstore going in there by all accounts.

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what the plans are for the large tract of land that was sold off the Bishopstown Road and Hawke's Road? I know it was owned by the Kelleher family and had planning for a large development but was sold on again recently. The four houses on the Curraheen Road came as part of the deal and the entrances are being done up at the moment.

I am assuming it's the same company that is developing the main site but can't find a planning application anywhere for it. Essentially I am trying to find out where the main entrance to the new development will be as I bought a house in the area recently and am starting to get worried about the impact it will have on traffic.

The main entrance to the site is at the junction of Btown Road, Hawkes Road and the entrance to Tiffany Downs but that is already a nightmare because of the traffic turning right into Tiffany Downs. The other option is entering next to the old credit union building on Curraheen Rd but that is also a disaster because of the junction with Melbourne Rd and all the traffic heading to CIT. The final option was going through the back of the Rise but planning for a single house has been granted recently so that option is closed off.

Anyone have any further details?

City Hall seeks progress on stalled projects

Some updates on the terrible trio of Anderson Quay, Camden Quay and Trinity Quarter. Basically Camden Quay and Trinity Quarter are still in discussions regarding Pre Lets and nothing on Anderson Quay.

It's strange that we apparently have a dearth of high quality office space in the city centre yet some of the most prominent high quality office developments can't get pre lets...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cork-is-looking-up-with-skyscraper-developments-on-the-horizon-ae75ee32-4569-41da-9c70-12a233cb1c96-ds

An interesting quote from the above:
    Works on the Skehard Road are progressing and a long-term plan to move buses through Bessboro and across St Michael's Drive via a landbridge would also ease issues, Mr Ledwidge added.

Anyone idea what plan this landbridge from Bessboro relates to? Something to do with BusConnects?

TheChizler wrote: »
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Cork-is-looking-up-with-skyscraper-developments-on-the-horizon-ae75ee32-4569-41da-9c70-12a233cb1c96-ds

An interesting quote from the above:

Anyone idea what plan this landbridge from Bessboro relates to? Something to do with BusConnects?

That would seem to indicate a new bridge across the R852 and the old rail tracks. Madness if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That would seem to indicate a new bridge across the R852 and the old rail tracks. Madness if true.

If it's part of an integrated transport plan then that's one thing but if it's a random bridge with no greater purpose then complete bonkers.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If it's part of an integrated transport plan then that's one thing but if it's a random bridge with no greater purpose then complete bonkers.

Agreed. If it’s a bridge for a BRT system then fine.

• Advertisement

Agreed. If it’s a bridge for a BRT system then fine.
    Insert Skeptical_Hippo.jpg here

Decision on Wilton redevelopment this week:

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Planners-to-decide-on-Wilton-Shopping-Centre-development-5f2cbb82-a8ee-41a5-86bb-9a325060c473-ds

Looks like the NTA are objecting as they wish to use land at the front of the Wilton SC to provide a bus lane on the Sarsfield Road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That prism development looks great... For everyone... but the neighbours... Its a tall building... At least the on for the tip of the island has the river and roads between it and anything else (as well as probably only going to get permission to be half the height they want).
    The mahon one strikes me as odd... Is the site value in mahon high enough to make it going up that high?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    That prism development looks great... For everyone... but the neighbours... Its a tall building... At least the on for the tip of the island has the river and roads between it and anything else (as well as probably only going to get permission to be half the height they want).
    The mahon one strikes me as odd... Is the site value in mahon high enough to make it going up that high?

What neighbours? I'd rather be looking at the Prism than the dereliction there at present.

Mahon needs more residential units according to its local development plan. Land is not infinite in Mahon, so reasonable height makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Anyone know if the primary care centre in clonakilty is opening soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Markcheese wrote: »
    That prism development looks great... For everyone... but the neighbours... Its a tall building...

I don't get complaints like this. Whether the building is 2 storeys or 15, the neighbours' view is still...a building. What difference does the height of it make if you're not going to see over it either way. What you'd want to see over it is beyond me anyway since Cork has a terrible skyline and the sky is overcast 90% of the year. :confused:

Anything is better than what's there at the moment, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I don't get complaints like this. Whether the building is 2 storeys or 15, the neighbours' view is still...a building. What difference does the height of it make if you're not going to see over it either way. What you'd want to see over it is beyond me anyway since Cork has a terrible skyline and the sky is overcast 90% of the year. :confused:

Anything is better than what's there at the moment, regardless.

I'd fully agree, used to live on Cove St & imho the pile of rubble that's left there now is a better view than the old FAS building!

Back in the property bubble years, I remember getting a tour of the Elysian where an EA was trying to convince us that a west-facing flat (& to be fair it was a nice triplex) was worth €1 million with its delightful view of the City Hall car park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

opus wrote: »
    I'd fully agree, used to live on Cove St & imho the pile of rubble that's left there now is a better view than the old FAS building!

Back in the property bubble years, I remember getting a tour of the Elysian where an EA was trying to convince us that a west-facing flat (& to be fair it was a nice triplex) was worth €1 million with its delightful view of the City Hall car park :)

And now for just €42k a year, you can rent the same triplex apartment.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/cork-city/the-elysian-eglinton-street-cork-city-cork-1858173/

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GavRedKing wrote: »
    And now for just €42k a year, you can rent the same triplex apartment.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/cork-city/the-elysian-eglinton-street-cork-city-cork-1858173/

:pac:

Pretty nice though :pac:

Advertisement