Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Emmet Place, Daunt Square, Castle Street, Fr Mathew St/Fitton St, Liberty St/Cross St. No timelines on implementation and strictly temporary measures as it stands. Fitton St is a weird one for pedestrianisation. Nothing happens down there.

Good. Chuck down a temporary set of bollards and then get the more involved works done at a later date.

As long as it doesn't delay Dunkettle. Its coping at the moment, but on the next Phase we'll go back to jams. Just barely coping today.

Dunkettle still years away. Main construction contract not yet in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

What exactly is a "park and walk" facility? Isn't that just a car park, or am I missing something fundamental?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/more-pedestrian-friendly-plans-for-cork-city-centre-1000355.html

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Thoie wrote: »
    What exactly is a "park and walk" facility? Isn't that just a car park, or am I missing something fundamental?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/more-pedestrian-friendly-plans-for-cork-city-centre-1000355.html

Exactly what I thought. What a shower like. What hope does CMATS have if this is the extent of ambition from her and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Exactly what I thought. What a shower like. What hope does CMATS have if this is the extent of ambition from her and the rest.

It's gas! Not a mention of any sort of safe cycling infrastructure improvements to get people from A to B without a vehicle but this is proposed! Comically bad.

• Advertisement

No safe cycling or pop up cycle lanes in the proposals is an absolutely glaring omission. So it's still going to be as dangerous as ever to cycle around the city. Chronic altogether.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No safe cycling or pop up cycle lanes in the proposals is an absolutely glaring omission. So it's still going to be as dangerous as ever to cycle around the city. Chronic altogether.

There's a great thread here investigating Cork's topography. https://twitter.com/J_M_Fitton/status/1262437354297573377?s=19

Basically calling out Terry's idiotic comments about how Cork is too hilly for bike lanes! :D

The most amazing part of the proposals though has to be "park & walk". I mean seriously. Other cities get active travel and pop up cycle lanes, we get more car parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

The one that always annoys me anytime I cycle there is the Blackpool bypass. It was built with zero provision for cycle lanes plus nice high curbsides that the traffic can almost force you into. There's really no excuse when it's a brand new road.

The most amazing part of the proposals though has to be "park & walk". I mean seriously. Other cities get active travel and pop up cycle leaves, we get more car parking.

The last thing we need is more cars. Park and walk is a ridiculous idea. We should be encouraging walking and cycling, not driving somewhere to walk. There's plenty of parking spots throughout anyhow - and sure if there isn't, people can park illegally with impunity, like they've always done.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »

You're missing nothing. Just another example of city council car centric thinking. Zero provision for safe cycling in the proposals but new car parks are no problem. It's infuriating.

opus wrote: »
    The one that always annoys me anytime I cycle there is the Blackpool bypass. It was built with zero provision for cycle lanes plus nice high curbsides that the traffic can almost force you into. There's really no excuse when it's a brand new road.

That road is 20 years old, at this stage, no?

See this on the council website about their response to the current situation:

While we are informed by other Irish and international cities, Cork is unique in the way that its homes, workplaces, retail and hospitality are configured and so we need a unique response.

They are convinced that Cork is a special case and it provides a bizarre excuse to do the bare minimum.

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/increased-pedestrianisation-and--cycling-facilities-proposed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

During the COVID lockdown, my bike had nearly replaced the car. From never really cycling. I was kind of excited a few weeks back with the lack of traffic and wondered how Cork would take advantage of this opportunity. Then we just didn't do anything, worse our local government attacked people who asked about it and now traffic is back.

Seeing the city council prioritize more "park and walk" faculties is a slap in the face. I'm back to driving during the week from today. I didnt feel safe yesterday in the city at all anymore due to the increased traffic It was nice to be able to get by without a car for while it lasted but its just not worth the danger. And the sounds coming from the council have made me feel like its increased bike use is something they are trying to avoid here.

One thing I've learned is that we might vote for these guys but they only ever seem to talk about "traders" needs and demands.

The active attempts to limit bike usage by city hall is something else. I suppose getting more people into cars is good for car parking revenue, to the detriment of the long term growth of the city.

I'd also love to know who came up with "park & walk" and who then signed off on it. Did anyone in there say, "ah come on lads, park and f***ing walk?".

That road is 20 years old, at this stage, no?

Yup what I was trying to say (badly!) is that it was built from scratch so didn't have any of the limitations of the old city streets when it came to including provision for something other than just cars. Even the pavements are on the narrow side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Carrigtwohill Outlet Village

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/council-to-hold-special-meeting-to-outline-case-for-east-cork-outlet-village-1000425.html

A special meeting of Cork County Council will be held on Friday to discuss how it will put a case to government supporting the development of a €100m Kildare Village-type shopping centre in East Cork.

The council will need to respond to a report by the Office of the Planning Regulator, an independent watchdog, which was not in favour of the proposal by a British-based company to build the Tourist Outlet Village (TOV), close to the IDA industrial estate at Killacloyne, Carrigtwohill.

Rioja Estates said the project would create more than 850 permanent jobs and a further 640 during construction.

The company also maintained the development wouldn't adversely impact other retail outlets in the area.

The Office of the Planning Regulator sent a report to junior minister of state for housing and urban development, Damien English. He will have the ultimate say on whether the project goes ahead.

Friday's special meeting in County Hall will be unique as the local authority will stage it in the ground floor foyer area, instead of in the council chamber.

That's because it will be able to socially distance the 55 councillors plus officials who will need to attend and the floor two debating chamber is too small for that.

A large number of county councilors have previously made their views known that they support the Rioja Estates plan.

Cllr Anthony Barry, who lives in Carrigtwohill, said that he expected council planners to provide a report on how they support the Rioja Estates project and then seek the views of elected members which will be added to the report before it is submitted to Mr English.

“I think the overwhelming view on Friday amongst councillors will be that the Office of the Planning Regulator is wrong in its assessment. I think there is a demand for this type of centre in Co. Cork and we now need to make our argument for it to Damian English,” Mr Barry said.

He said that tens of thousands of people from the region travel to Kildare Village annually and if the TOV was opened in Carrigtwohill, it would keep that money in Cork.

In a submission to the council, Rioja Estates said it believes the TOV will draw 220,000 additional tourists to the region annually.

TOVs sell premium brands as well as heavily discounted products not normally found on the high street — for example end-of-line, seconds and out-of-season goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

blindsider wrote: »
    Carrigtwohill Outlet Village

The company also maintained the development wouldn't adversely impact other retail outlets in the area.

Bunch of nonsense.

If they go ahead with this, I sure hope they put some money into a massive upgrade of the Cobh junction, unless we want another Mahon Point on our hands.

New housing estate shaping up just in from the Ballincollig roundabout on Model Farm road.

513530.jpg

Bunch of nonsense.

If they go ahead with this, I sure hope they put some money into a massive upgrade of the Cobh junction, unless we want another Mahon Point on our hands.

Not a hope, Kildare Village does not drive that much traffic.

Mahon is crippled by being near the tunnel and Dunkettle, having VoxPro/CSO/Abtran/FireEye as well as a massive shopping complex

The shopping centre traffic would be a nothing to that junction normally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Bunch of nonsense.

Cobh Junction is already a disaster at shift change times. NTA will need it to be upgraded before long if this goes ahead. There's already queuing on the slip-roads.

Not a hope, Kildare Village does not drive that much traffic.

Mahon is crippled by being near the tunnel and Dunkettle, having VoxPro/CSO/Abtran/FireEye as well as a massive shopping complex

The shopping centre traffic would be a nothing to that junction normally

The industrial estates East and West of the junction and the factories at Tullagreine cause traffic queues currently unfortunately. I travel through here on bike pretty often and end up passing lots of cars. I presume they're queuing for quite a while. If that queue reaches the N25 (it will) NTA will not be best pleased.

I wouldn't want this if I was a Carrigtohill resident. I'm surprised Cllr Barry is championing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

According to Treb Cork on twitter work was back underway on all major Cork City sites today with the exception of the Crows Nest

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    According to Treb Cork on twitter work was back underway on all major Cork City sites today with the exception of the Crows Nest

Indeed. Crows Nest site was closed when I passed at 1pm today.

Fantastic to see the rest back especially the Prism which was in its infancy compared to the rest.

The industrial estates East and West of the junction and the factories at Tullagreine cause traffic queues currently unfortunately. I travel through here on bike pretty often and end up passing lots of cars. I presume they're queuing for quite a while. If that queue reaches the N25 (it will) NTA will not be best pleased.

I wouldn't want this if I was a Carrigtohill resident. I'm surprised Cllr Barry is championing it.

Yes but Kildare village adds very little, to it's junction. This will be barely a blip on current levels

For those of us who live just outside the city and are in the County Council remit, the next county development plan is currently in pre-draft public consultation. Don't forget to have your say: https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/cork-county-development-plan-2022-2028

Closing date is 2nd July.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I work in the industrial estate and usually get to work around 8 - 8:30, most of the time its not too bad unless there's a crash on the other side, it affects people going onto the roundabout due to tailbacks. Leaving the industrial estate between 5 and 7 can be busy especially at 7 due to shift change. One thing is Stryker is building on with up to 500 jobs going so this would add to the traffic. A train station would be so useful but one could wish. Also, bus Eireann dumps people at the entrance of the IDA. I don't see why they can't go into the industrial and have a few stops, it happens with the airport bus going through CABP. To be honest, i've been cycling to the IDA when traffic was quite but i'm back to work tomorrow and i'm not sure if i'll revert back to the car again as Cycling along LGR, Tivolli and Dunkettle is just too hostile and dangerous.

For those of us who live just outside the city and are in the County Council remit, the next county development plan is currently in pre-draft public consultation. Don't forget to have your say: https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/cork-county-development-plan-2022-2028

Closing date is 2nd July.

I always get nostalgic for teenage holidays, whenever I see the banner image on that site.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.641833,-10.0441179,3a,75y,209.27h,83.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1surp_4QBxXFstt4tvOkTXtQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I work in the industrial estate and usually get to work around 8 - 8:30, most of the time its not too bad unless there's a crash on the other side, it affects people going onto the roundabout due to tailbacks. Leaving the industrial estate between 5 and 7 can be busy especially at 7 due to shift change. One thing is Stryker is building on with up to 500 jobs going so this would add to the traffic. A train station would be so useful but one could wish. Also, bus Eireann dumps people at the entrance of the IDA. I don't see why they can't go into the industrial and have a few stops, it happens with the airport bus going through CABP. To be honest, i've been cycling to the IDA when traffic was quite but i'm back to work tomorrow and i'm not sure if i'll revert back to the car again as Cycling along LGR, Tivolli and Dunkettle is just too hostile and dangerous.

The IDA got planning a few months back for enhanced cycle and pedestrian pathways in the estate as well as a bus lane, new bus shelters also. No idea when these might actually be put in place though.

• Advertisement

Yes but Kildare village adds very little, to it's junction. This will be barely a blip on current levels
      Ah I understand what you're saying now. I don't know enough about that Kildare Village junction or the traffic to the shopping centre to either agree or disagree! I only know that the N25 junction is currently quite busy.
      timmyjimmy wrote: »

I agree with pretty much all of your post. It's absolutely spot on. LGR, Tivoli and Dunkettle are extremely hostile to cyclists and pedestrians at present.

You're the very definition of the low-hanging fruit I'm always blabbering on about in the infrastructure forum: you actually want to cycle this route, aren't put off by the distance or terrain, and the current transport infrastructure is what's impeding you. I suspect many on the infrastructure forum think I'm making it up but there's absolutely loads of people in your position. I know several in my circle of friends.

Advertisement