Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

34-storey hotel in Cork docklands ‘would have adverse impact on existing businesses’
    Among the documents was the Marriott chain’s expression of support for the development of the skyscraper hotel. The letter said Marriott is interested in exploring the prospect of bringing one of its “upper-upscale hotel brands” to the Custom House hotel.

It would be Marriott’s first foray into the Cork hotel market, though the letter represented an interest in the property, not an agreement.
    In his submission, Brian O’Dwyer from Cobh said: “The medium- and long-term effects of Covid-19 will bring new challenges to Cork’s existing hotel and hospitality businesses. It is likely that existing businesses would be adversely affected by the economic impact of the excessive scale of this proposed development.”
    Separately, construction has resumed on Tower Holding’s €20m Prism office development at the rear of Parnell Place Bus Station.

The sod was turned on the development in March but was halted along with all other construction work when the Covid-19 lockdown was put in place.

Positioned on a triangular-shaped brownfield derelict site and with a footprint of 310 sq m, the tower will stand at 15 floors tall, offering office space with views over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

marno21 wrote: »
    There was CField crews there yesterday when I passed and there's new social distancing signage up. Couldn't see any other noticable progress coming from Anderson's Quay.
    According to the examiner construction has resumed on the prism,appeals gone in on both docklands tower and Morrisons island development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

snotboogie wrote: »

Is that the artist from Cobh objecting again?

It's a somewhat legitimate call re: allowing a massive hotel be built when we don't know the impacts on tourism this will have - in the short term at least

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Folks, I apologise. I shouldn't have engaged Mr Edgy Darts.
    I imagine if people stop responding to his posts he will tire of talking to himself. His posts are beyond reason and very tiresome.
    I promise I will not engage him again, nor refer to his posts.

I love how I've become a GAA, fan!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Off topic nonsense deleted. Leave out the personal attacks folks, any nore and bans will be dished out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

D'Agger wrote: »
    Is that the artist from Cobh objecting again?

It's a somewhat legitimate call re: allowing a massive hotel be built when we don't know the impacts on tourism this will have - in the short term at least

But that really is not the planning authorities call I don't think. If they start doing that and taking possible economic impacts into account in planning policy we'll get nowhere. It's the developer who will take the economics of it into account and if it doesn't make sense then they won't develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But that really is not the planning authorities call I don't think. If they start doing that and taking possible economic impacts into account in planning policy we'll get nowhere. It's the developer who will take the economics of it into account and if it doesn't make sense then they won't develop it.

Agreed. 100%.caveat emptor. And we have the amenities/infrastructure ready to go for when demand increases again rather than lagging 5 years behind and reacting rather than being proactive.

True, in that case I'm surprised that developers aren't proceeding with more caution - that said, once they have planning there's no gun to their head to build correct? i.e. they can get the planning in place, then point to economic constraints to freeze things until it becomes viable for them to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's kind of insane how much hotel capacity Killarney has vs Cork, considering their relative sizes. (Not a jab at Killarney!) Obviously Killarney is very much a tourist destination, but when you consider the relatives sizes of the city and town...

What I mean is - Cork has a long way to go. And it'd be easy to get into a silly circular argument "no need for so much hotel capacity, what would they come here for?" & "can't hold major events in Cork, where's the hotel capacity?". Well, someone has to take the first step somewhere.

I would be concerned if this hotel had an impact on long running hotels such as the Imperial and the Metropole, but I think too it could carve out a niche for itself, attracting new weekender business to the city rather than just grabbing existing clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sorry now I'm confused.

Has this O'Dwyer guy lodged a complaint about the custom house tower? Secondly - Who is he and why do we care what his opinion is? Or more relevant... why is the Examiner all over this like a rash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Exactly, he is a nobody, like you and me. Why there was a whole article on it, of the 25+ objections, is only just beyond me

Sorry now I'm confused.

Has this O'Dwyer guy lodged a complaint about the custom house tower? Secondly - Who is he and why do we care what his opinion is? Or more relevant... why is the Examiner all over this like a rash?
    This is why I questioned if it was the usual fella from Cobh who objects to everything as I wasn't sure why else they'd be singling out this one objection....strange

This is why I questioned if it was the usual fella from Cobh who objects to everything as I wasn't sure why else they'd be singling out this one objection....strange

No, that was Johnny Adams

True, in that case I'm surprised that developers aren't proceeding with more caution - that said, once they have planning there's no gun to their head to build correct? i.e. they can get the planning in place, then point to economic constraints to freeze things until it becomes viable for them to develop.

There's no compulsion to proceed with a development once planning is received. Best for the developer is to get the planning sorted out and in place and they can weigh up the financial and economic situation then before proceeding to construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

One thing that will benefit this development is it is planned to be a high end hotel which I don't think we have much of in Cork apart from Hayfield Manor so it would appeal to a different market than the other hotels but in saying that, a high end hotel will probably struggle more than a 2 star hotel for example as people will be watching spending for the next while during Covid.

No one really knows how it will play out but one thing the developer will need to establish before building is do they have a Hotel chain that will sign contracts. Marriot expressed interest but hasn't put anything in writing. The developers will need assurances they will have someone to operate the hotel before they build it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Exactly, he is a nobody, like you and me. Why there was a whole article on it, of the 25+ objections, is only just beyond me

Was always curious as to what sort of priority is given when certain people object.

for example what makes an artist not from the city not living in the city think his opinion is more valid than an actual resident of the city.

I get people like neighbours in a community might be able to protest on certain grounds to certain buildings , but what is the criteria for considering any objection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Interesting that they cite the that "there are approximately 1,700 new hotel and hostel rooms in the planning pipeline for Cork in 13 separate developments". Its very clear the vast majority of these will not be built, most have been approved for years and no sign. Use the number under construction, which is none or very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see there is a dispute going on between the owner of fota and kingsley hotels and the person running them.

Realistically a sod wont be turned this year, let's say 2 years to build, that's 2023 for opening, I reckon things will be back to normal at that stage so its probably a good time to start buidling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Realistically a sod wont be turned this year, let's say 2 years to build, that's 2023 for opening, I reckon things will be back to normal at that stage so its probably a good time to start buidling

Agreed. This will pass and hopefully tourism will resume as normal within that time frame. Its also money in the bank for investors. Cork has very little choice when it comes to large capacity hotels in the city center. They're not building them for the laugh. The demand is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

snotboogie wrote: »
    Anyone around the city centre seeing if anything is happening at the Prism?

I heard today that they were delaying Prism work until August, despite what that Examiner article said about returning to work.

Walked past the site this afternoon, and there is no sign of any new work. Maybe they were just tidying up last week to prepare for a longer shut down?

Good to hear some restart date mentioned, I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

these look awful

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/green-light-given-to-plans-for-753-residential-units-in-cork-1002441.html

Can see them being a ballymun type of dump in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Restaurant street tables to be trialled as part of Limerick council's recovery plans https://jrnl.ie/5112184

Limerick putting cork to shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

these look awful

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/green-light-given-to-plans-for-753-residential-units-in-cork-1002441.html

Can see them being a ballymun type of dump in a few years.

Why ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Restaurant street tables to be trialled as part of Limerick council's recovery plans https://jrnl.ie/5112184

Ah, but what works in Limerick won't, necessarily, work in Cork!

Blah bla hills. Blaa blah narrow streets. Bla Blaa rain. Blah blah car parking, traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

Ah, but what works in Limerick won't, necessarily, work in Cork!

Blah bla hills. Blaa blah narrow streets. Bla Blaa rain. Blah blah car parking, traders.

I presumed the current plans around road closures in the city centre would allow for some of the additional street space to be used by businesses. So restaurants/pubs on Pembroke st, Paul st, Tuckey st etc. would be able to put tables outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I presumed the current plans around road closures in the city centre would allow for some of the additional street space to be used by businesses. So restaurants/pubs on Pembroke st, Paul st, Tuckey st etc. would be able to put tables outside.

If you read the article, they are planning on removing car parking spaces, increasing footpaths, adding cycle lanes, planning cool 3d art events out outside games on the street to make a better atmosphere in the city center..not just tables (which are a part of it). Having little knowledge of limericks streets, they seem to be pedestrinising an entire Quay which looks similar to some in the city center here but again I don't know limericks roads very well.

"An advisory speed limit of 25km/h in the core city center will be introduced as proposed measures will be examined to make pedestrian friendly changes and provide space for local oepn-aor events" . Can't imagine city council here wanting to do pedestrian friendly changes. Pedestrinising Paul Street was a huge achievement for them, it should have always been pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

If you read the article, they are planning on removing car parking spaces, increasing footpaths, adding cycle lanes, planning cool 3d art events out outside games on the street to make a better atmosphere in the city center..not just tables (which are a part of it). Having little knowledge of limericks streets, they seem to be pedestrinising an entire Quay which looks similar to some in the city center here but again I don't know limericks roads very well.

"An advisory speed limit of 25km/h in the core city center will be introduced as proposed measures will be examined to make pedestrian friendly changes and provide space for local oepn-aor events" . Can't imagine city council here wanting to do pedestrian friendly changes. Pedestrinising Paul Street was a huge achievement for them, it should have always been pedestrianised.

Agreed it certainly looks more far reaching than something cork city council would be willing to try. From my experience of Limerick some of the streets mentioned would be a bit wider than the city centre streets in Cork. But Cork city council should really be looking to trial as much as they can now to see what measures work well - it’s basically a free punt in the current climate given the measures are “temporary”. The better measures (most of them hopefully) should be made permanent once it becomes clear they are working well.

Agreed it certainly looks more far reaching than something cork city council would be willing to try. From my experience of Limerick some of the streets mentioned would be a bit wider than the city centre streets in Cork. But Cork city council should really be looking to trial as much as they can now to see what measures work well - it’s basically a free punt in the current climate given the measures are “temporary”. The better measures (most of them hopefully) should be made permanent once it becomes clear they are working well.

But Cork is unique. The Council told us that themselves. They have no intention of doing anything far reaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Every city and town, everywhere, are pretty much putting Cork to shame.

Even Ennis are on the ball!

Advertisement