Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But Cork is unique. The Council told us that themselves. They have no intention of doing anything far reaching

Imagine expanding footpaths and cycle lanes and having some dedicated areas for street performances and improving the city athmosphere?

Aha nah sure where would the cars go? The smell of fumes just adds to the overall ambience of the city, it's... Unique

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

But Cork is unique. The Council told us that themselves. They have no intention of doing anything far reaching

Perhaps with last years boundary extension, I wonder are the City Council doing a bit of chest beating and suffering from arrogance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why the hell are the City Council wasting time and effort on the stupid consultations for one way pedestrian streets? It's an absolutely ridiculous concept and even stupider putting it out to consultations. FFS Ennis have pedestrianised the centre of their town and we see still have the Council humming and hawing over the most modest of proposals. There's a serious cultural issue in the city Council when it comes to their vision for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Why the hell are the City Council wasting time and effort on the stupid consultations for one way pedestrian streets? It's an absolutely ridiculous concept and even stupider putting it out to consultations. FFS Ennis have pedestrianised the centre of their town and we see still have the Council humming and hawing over the most modest of proposals. There's a serious cultural issue in the city Council when it comes to their vision for the city.

What I don't understand is that there are plenty of progressive voices in their from the Green Party and others but the FF/FG/GAA old firm thinking is still pervasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What I don't understand is that there are plenty of progressive voices in their from the Green Party and others but the FF/FG/GAA old firm thinking is still pervasive.

FF/FG still dominate the Council, this despite FF/FG having only 15 out of 31 seats. They came to a deal last year with a few independents after the local elections and FF/FG will have the Lord Mayor position 4 out of the 5 years of this council term, with 1 thrown as a sop to an independent. They've excluded the Greens, SF and others. They also control most of the committees on the Council with independent help. Essentially the FF/FG thinking prevails and other voices and ideas can be frustrated and derailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I can't help but think that much of their reluctance to move forward is partly down to the amount of opposition they encountered with the introduction of the Patrick Street bus lanes, or the "car ban" as it's infamously known.

Not defending the Council here; but it is important to mention that they don't exist in isolation, and will have to engage with various interests, lobbyists, and councillors. These are interests who may or may not be in favour of moving the city forward in a progressive direction. Unfortunately the vocal opposition to the removal of private cars from Patrick Street for a few hours a day, is evidence that certain interests prefer to maintain the status quo to detriment of an improved quality of life in our city centre.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    I can't help but think that much of their reluctance to move forward is partly down to the amount of opposition they encountered with the introduction of the Patrick Street bus lanes, or the "car ban" as it's infamously known.

Not defending the Council here; but it is important to mention that they don't exist in isolation, and will have to engage with various interests, lobbyists, and councillors. These are interests who may or may not be in favour of moving the city forward in a progressive direction. Unfortunately the vocal opposition to the removal of private cars from Patrick Street for a few hours a day, is evidence that certain interests prefer to maintain the status quo to detriment of an improved quality of life in our city centre.

I think that's because they went around that the entire wrong way. They should have started by closing off side streets first, Paul Street, Oliver Plunkett Street etc and then slowly extend that inwards. Get the public used to have no traffic. Making an area pedestrianised for a certain part of the day just doesn't make much sense to me, people relate more to either it's fully pedestrianised or is it isn't.

If the vocal lobbyists had seen the public using the pedestriansed areas more I'm sure they'd have been shouting for Patrick Street to be pedestrianised. Going full head first into pedestrianing the main Street for a couple hours ruined their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I think that's because they went around that the entire wrong way. They should have started by closing off side streets first, Paul Street, Oliver Plunkett Street etc and then slowly extend that inwards. Get the public used to have no traffic. Making an area pedestrianised for a certain part of the day just doesn't make much sense to me, people relate more to either it's fully pedestrianised or is it isn't.

The idea was never to pedestrianise it though, it was to make it public transport priority. Pedestrianising side streets would have done nothing for that. And it was to be for the full day but got reduced to 3.5 hours after people and traders protested that the full day was too much.

The idea was never to pedestrianise it though, it was to make it public transport priority. Pedestrianising side streets would have done nothing for that. And it was to be for the full day but got reduced to 3.5 hours after people and traders protested that the full day was too much.

Ah must be my memory so, I don't remember it being fully transport for a while. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Maybe this 'for sale' sign has been up on the long vacant site on Camden Quay for ages but I just noticed it today.

515028.jpg

Also if anyone has ever wanted to own their very own "folly" then this site is for sale on the Blackrock Road for development.

515029.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

If the vocal lobbyists had seen the public using the pedestriansed areas more I'm sure they'd have been shouting for Patrick Street to be pedestrianised. Going full head first into pedestrianing the main Street for a couple hours ruined their chances.

Yes the original plan was from 12 to 6 or 12 to 6.30 but a compromise was reached between city hall and various interests. The issue of public transport priority in Patrick Street has been a very long drawn out affair going back over 40 years. It was first mooted in the LUTS plan of 1978 as part of a comprehensive list of measures including road construction, road widening, and enhanced bus services. Most of the road measures were implemented by 2000 with the public transport parts of the plan put on the back burner.

There's an RTE report here from 1978.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0905/991729-future-bright-for-cork/

Potential opposition to the Patrick Street part of the plan is mentioned in the report. This type of opposition continues to this day and continues to hold the city back. It's a great pity as the city has been more forward thinking in other areas of planning and development such as: it's satellite town development policy, and openness to higher density urban development. At least from an Irish context.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

https://youtu.be/RiUOS5fHn-4

Not sure if posted here before but this YouTube page has various videos of Cork City made with Cities Skyline Software. Some really cool stuff there that might be of interest to some of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

https://youtu.be/RiUOS5fHn-4

Not sure if posted here before but this YouTube page has various videos of Cork City made with Cities Skyline Software. Some really cool stuff there that might be of interest to some of ye.

He's done amazing work!

I wanted to download his save to play around with the transport modes on the game, but he says you need 32GB of ram to run it at 30fps :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Would love to have a bash off it, have a version with all of the proposed additions to Cork and dream up a few too. Someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Land Development Agency have started SHD consultation for 274 residential units (46 houses + 228 apartments) at St Kevin's Hospital in Shanakiel

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307259.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I like the look of penrose dock, even if the old stone building seems now out of place, which itself is a lovely building.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

marno21 wrote: »
    The Land Development Agency have started SHD consultation for 274 residential units (46 houses + 228 apartments) at St Kevin's Hospital in Shanakiel

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307259.htm

Any renders available of what this might look like. It’s a very prominent site so would be interested to see what they have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I like the look of penrose dock, even if the old stone building seems now out of place, which itself is a lovely building.
    I actually think it makes the stone building stand out more compared to how it was before
    https://goo.gl/maps/4FP5AqEru898no8w6 (if it doesn't come up as 2018 by default, click the circle in the top left)

I'm looking forward to them cleaning it up. I think they also said they will be using the stone from the stone walls that were on Railway Street to fill up the blank wall on the side of the demolished buildings (again, change to 2018 if it isn't)

https://goo.gl/maps/zMVpqHXkfSJBcDLu8

the one stone building among the modern building looks good

but the reverse is awful, as in the case of connolly hall that glass building among all the stone buildings.....connolly hall looks so much out of place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think its awful. Heres what we could build in the 19th century (or whenever it was), and this is the best we can do now.

the one stone building among the modern building looks good

but the reverse is awful, as in the case of connolly hall that glass building among all the stone buildings.....connolly hall looks so much out of place

Couldnt agree more. Connolly hall is revolting. As for the other comment, agreed, much prefer something like the Brown Thomas building, Penneys building or Roches Stores building. but as far as new modern buildings go, this is one of the nicest ones, especially in person

Couldnt agree more. Connolly hall is revolting.

another ugly building is this one by thompson house t5hat is now called grace church....a 70s type glasshouse look....hideous

Also revolting. It should be knocked and replaced with a pastiche extension of the redbrick Thompson House. From the website Thompson House website

"Rather than seeking to emulate the elegant red brick and limestone facade of the original structure, the Thompsons staked their claim to the 20th and 21st centuries with a bold glass-and-steel based extension, intended to contrast with the aesthetic of the rest of MacCurtain Street. This departure from tradition, designed by Cork architects Frank Murphy and Ian White, was among the first buildings of its type in the city, and a bold statement about a new era of ‘form meeting function’. Among its unusual (for the time) features are the balconies on the top floor. Designed to give busy executives a chance to take a break and get a breath of fresh air, they were a new concept in Irish architecture in 1967."

Also, don't forget Penrose Quay isn't done outside yet. Still some black fins/slatts to go in, especially on the first three stories of the quay facing building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

And the red brick next door may be gone soon if karamex get their planning for similar building to new development.

Wouldnt lose sleep if that never happened. Boring design and seeing as Horgan's Quay and Navigation Square are struggling a bit to find tenants, not dying for even more office space to be built. Residential there would be much nicer. As well as that, something brown/red (like the building on the corner of St Patricks Quay and Brian Boru Street) in colour would suit much more to break up the white, cream and black between Penrose Quay development and Horgans Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Unfortunately the whole development might be in danger of looking out of place when way more ppl are working from home and we finally acknowledge that there's no need for expensive blocks of steel and carbon to fill up in the morning and lie empty after 6pm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any renders available of what this might look like. It’s a very prominent site so would be interested to see what they have in mind?
    Some early renders here.

The building in the render is of a very similar shape to the existing building.

https://lda.ie/projects/st-kevins-hospital-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ofcork wrote: »
    And the red brick next door may be gone soon if karamex get their planning for similar building to new development.

Thought that was a bit odd , to not at least incorporate the facade ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

marno21 wrote: »
    Some early renders here.

The building in the render is of a very similar shape to the existing building.

https://lda.ie/projects/st-kevins-hospital-cork/

Potentially a big increase in traffic up Sunday's Well. I wonder if they will seek a new access road?

Advertisement