Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

To say this thing needed repainting is an understatement!

515913.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

That colour, though.. they couldn't have been a bit more creative? Or picked something less likely to go so green/dirty so fast again. It's clean now, at least. Thank God we dont seem to have many buildings being proposed like that any more, like the building across the street to it, Southern Terrace building, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, when you build simple, clean designs like that, then being clean and in good condition becomes kinda essential, or it looks terrible. (Not that I really like it now it's painted either)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Wave-of-shop-closures-on-Pana-Cork-city-leaders-call-for-resilience--d08eb5ca-02ed-4319-98bf-f408b0a2743c-ds

Monsoon, Accessorize, joining quills, a wear, debenhams and countless others shops all gone in recent times, and people on here complained when I mentioned the abundance of closed shops on patrick street.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Wave-of-shop-closures-on-Pana-Cork-city-leaders-call-for-resilience--d08eb5ca-02ed-4319-98bf-f408b0a2743c-ds

Monsoon, Accessorize, joining quills, a wear, debenhams and countless others shops all gone in recent times, and people on here complained when I mentioned the abundance of closed shops on patrick street.

Many of these are UK chains. Spillover effect of Brexit and the dying high street in the UK. More indigenous business and European chains are needed. Also a fundamental rethink needed by the Council. The same old policies of incentivising car use simply do not work. Unfortunately I'm not sure the Council is capable of doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

opus wrote: »

515913.jpg

Probably cheap paint slapped on at the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

I think it's the manner you make your points without ever anything positive to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Probably cheap paint slapped on at the outset.

I really think the council needs to do something to make centrally located building owners maintain the appearance of their buildings. That's building has looked shabby for years and in viewing of a large area of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

smurgen wrote: »
    I really think the council needs to do something to make centrally located building owners maintain the appearance of their buildings. That's building has looked shabby for years and in viewing of a large area of the city.

Look at Grand Parade road surface, ground lighting and the disappearing, tarmac-filled spaces where trees once were. The council can't even maintain what they themselves are responsible for, let alone controlling what building owners do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

smurgen wrote: »

Are there not viable renders that last long term and don’t need repainting? Shouldn’t planning stipulate such materials be used in the finish of buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

opus wrote: »

515913.jpg

Thank god for that - still an awful building (in an awful row), but draws less attention to its tat now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

That colour, though.. they couldn't have been a bit more creative? Or picked something less likely to go so green/dirty so fast again. It's clean now, at least. Thank God we dont seem to have many buildings being proposed like that any more, like the building across the street to it, Southern Terrace building, etc.

Think it's the same colour as the apartment block next to Pat McDonnell paints on Bachelor's Quay.

I took a break from my busy WFH schedule (;)) to do one of the midsummer festival walks which brought me past the work on the office part of the brewery site.

516011.jpg

The reopening guidelines for shopping centres look like they will make them very joyless places to visit for months to come. There's a golden opportunity there to revitalise the city centre and attract people into it and make it somewhere worth visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

When you consider a building from that era, South Terrace Apartments, that used to be absolutely garish white and came across like it had been dropped in from a Spanish holiday resort.

When they broke it up with a well designed paint scheme it suddenly looked quite OK.

There should be a bit of design assistance put into ensuring those painted buildings on the quays and elsewhere are well blended in. There are ways and means of making these things look a lot nicer.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Many of these are UK chains. Spillover effect of Brexit and the dying high street in the UK. More indigenous business and European chains are needed. Also a fundamental rethink needed by the Council. The same old policies of incentivising car use simply do not work. Unfortunately I'm not sure the Council is capable of doing that.

Another problem is the rates the shops are being charged

Another problem is the rates the shops are being charged

Rates are a cost of doing business like paying the electricity. And they aren't exclusive to Cork or Ireland. Forms of commercial property taxes are pretty much the norm in most countries.

Rates are a cost of doing business like paying the electricity. And they aren't exclusive to Cork or Ireland. Forms of commercial property taxes are pretty much the norm in most countries.

I get that, but when you can have the same size premises in a shopping centre, that will most likely be as busy, have free parking etc, and get that property at a cheaper rate is it any wonder places like argos are gone from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

I agree but also feel in Ireland the businesses don't receive the service back from the council for the rates they pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rounders wrote: »
    I agree but also feel in Ireland the businesses don't receive the service back from the council for the rates they pay

Show me any Irish person that believes that they get value from any tax they pay!
    I'll put them with the people who consider themselves overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

O'Flynn have just submitted plans for 123 apartments in Ballincollig to ABP

http://oldfortroadshd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭RINO87

New park for Blarney which will link up to the Waterloo walk. Will be a welcome addition to the area.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/council-buys-65-acres-in-blarney-village-to-create-new-park-1005010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

So Flynn now has 2 new developments on that road?
    One at the corner by turn off to GAA and the new one announced today?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

snotboogie wrote: »

If it does get developed, that whole area around stoneview/business park will be very well connected to the city centre. Direct road link on to the N20 and train station would being people into Kent station in 15/20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Usir wrote: »
    So Flynn now has 2 new developments on that road?
    One at the corner by turn off to GAA and the new one announced today?

The one at the corner by the turn off to the GAA, across from McDonalds, isn't O'Flynn. That is a new community health care centre that is being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

satanta99 wrote: »
    The one at the corner by the turn off to the GAA, across from McDonalds, isn't O'Flynn. That is a new community health care centre that is being built.

It's Flynn. Different company to O'Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Fingers crossed it doesn't end up a white elephant as we move to work from home (which new programme for government explicitly supports):o

Advertisement