Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fingers crossed it doesn't end up a white elephant as we move to work from home (which new programme for government explicitly supports):o
    Qualcomm moving into 3 floors of Penrose Two
    Top 2 floors of Penrose One already allocated too, so thats a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So the Programme for Government has been published. Document is high level and Cork is mentioned 5 times in it specifically:

- Commitment to implementing CMATS
    - Specific mention of progressing BusConnects
    - Commitment to prioritise rail projects
    - A vague mention of developing Cork and the other smaller cities as viable alternatives to Dublin
    - Establish a night time culture mayor (never heard of this before).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So the Programme for Government has been published. Document is high level and Cork is mentioned 5 times in it specifically:

- Commitment to implementing CMATS
    - Specific mention of progressing BusConnects
    - Commitment to prioritise rail projects
    - A vague mention of developing Cork and the other smaller cities as viable alternatives to Dublin

Similar to a night Czar : https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/arts-and-culture/24-hour-london/night-czar

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is SFA planned for implementation in Cork during the lifetime of this Government in CMATS anyway. Apart from filling up filing cabinets with endless reports there was very little on the ground work planned.

Hopefully every single greenway and cycling project in CMATS is pushed ahead at warp speed. And the elements of the suburban rail network that can be done at short notice are accelerated.

There should be planning permission for both BusConnects and Cork Light Rail achieved quickly too. Time to get the finger out as the timelines in CMATS are a pisstake.

Yeah it appears it was already in train since this time year. So nothing new in the Programme for Government as it specifically relates to mentions of Cork. All these things are already planned/committed to in one shape or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

marno21 wrote: »
    There is SFA planned for implementation in Cork during the lifetime of this Government in CMATS anyway. Apart from filling up filing cabinets with endless reports there was very little on the ground work planned.

Is there anything to be said for another report on the docklands ;) I've obviously lived in Cork way too long as I've seen several of them touted over my time here.

I took advantage of the nice evening to take a jog along the Marina, what's the plan for this space again? I believe the area near the rowing club is for a car park.

516536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Night life in this country is rubbish with our puritanical licencing hours. Half embarrassed showing foreigners around when everyone gets shown the door and thrown out in the street just when things are going nicely.
    Unless Cork is going to have different laws to the rest of the country I can't see what can be improved.

According to the Programme for Government the directly elected mayor in Limerick will be elected in 2021 and the office will receive a package of financial support. It also says that from 2024 any local authority may have a directly elected mayor but only where it is either specifically requested by the Council in question or by a petition of 20% of voters in that Council area. Such a shame it was rejected here - at a minimum we'd be spared the annual charade of the handing over of the ceremonial chain between FF and FG.

According to the Programme for Government the directly elected mayor in Limerick will be elected in 2021 and the office will receive a package of financial support. It also says that from 2024 any local authority may have a directly elected mayor but only where it is either specifically requested by the Council in question or by a petition of 20% of voters in that Council area. Such a shame it was rejected here - at a minimum we'd be spared the annual charade of the handing over of the ceremonial chain between FF and FG.

Totally agree. Huge missed opportunity, scuppered by some false, misleading info put out by a few political individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Night life in this country is rubbish with our puritanical licencing hours. Half embarrassed showing foreigners around when everyone gets shown the door and thrown out in the street just when things are going nicely.
    Unless Cork is going to have different laws to the rest of the country I can't see what can be improved.

Licensing and opening times will be changed in conjunction with the implementation of a night mayor

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Huge missed opportunity, scuppered by some false, misleading info put out by a few political individuals.

Absolutely and done for their own selfish purposes and certainly not for the betterment of the city. They'd rather keep the current system where they get to have a go of having the ceremonial chain for a year than see reform in local government. I reckon Limerick, Galway and Dublin will have a directly elected mayor long before Cork does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Absolutely and done for their own selfish purposes and certainly not for the betterment of the city. They'd rather keep the current system where they get to have a go of having the ceremonial chain for a year than see reform in local government. I reckon Limerick, Galway and Dublin will have a directly elected mayor long before Cork does.

A lot of people believed a no vote would abolish the position of mayor. They were astonished to hear that a new Lordmayor had subsequently been voted in. It’s alarming at times just how stupid the electorate can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

I really like the old stone work on the old Beamish building, hopefully it won't get covered up again.

516617.jpg

Also the demolition of the Square Deal building has kicked off, pic was taken on Woods St.

516618.jpg

It's likely there'll be 3 senior government ministers in Cork (including the Taoiseach) very soon. If they don't get public investment funds and public infrastructure projects moving quickly here then I hope the voters remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Looks like the exposed brick is the final finish based on this video showing the final form. I like it.

https://vimeo.com/358085188?ref&utm_campaign=5370367&utm_source=affiliate&utm_channel=affiliate&cjevent=3f084c9eafd411ea819c035c0a18050f

Great to see Square Deal moving, that section of lancs quay is very dead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Licensing and opening times will be changed in conjunction with the implementation of a night mayor

We will see.

2 way cycle lane proposed for South Mall. It'll require reorientation of parking. Expect tantrums and frothing at the mouth from certain city centre traders. Credit where it is due to the Council - it's a positive start.

2 way cycle lane proposed for South Mall. It'll require reorientation of parking. Expect tantrums and frothing at the mouth from certain city centre traders. Credit where it is due to the Council - it's a positive start.
    Should continue around to Grand parade, down Washington and connect with the one on the Western rd.
    Nice to see things taking a positive step for a change re: cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Should continue around to Grand parade, down Washington and connect with the one on the Western rd.

Always thought grand parade and south mall should have a bus lane as well ,(up the middle of south mall so the buses could go left or right ,and reduce parking in the bus lane ) ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

As a Corkonian who voted in favour of an elected mayor last year I couldn't agree more with you.
    You only have to look at the farce that the events centre is embroiled in to understand why we need someone with a bit of clout to speak up for the city.

Yes Grand Parade bit of a gap alright. Surely that'll happen next after this. I wouldn't underestimate the level of opposition that will come from this especially as regards the parking - it'll change from diagonal to parallel so inevitably less spaces. Expect to see a reaction from certain quarters.

Small correction, the cycle lane already runs both ways on Washington Street.
    Although you'd hardly know it the amount of people who use it as parking.....

Yes Grand Parade bit of a gap alright. Surely that'll happen next after this. I wouldn't underestimate the level of opposition that will come from this especially as regards the parking - it'll change from diagonal to parallel so inevitably less spaces. Expect to see a reaction from certain quarters.

Oh absolutely.

Great to see though, definitely an improvement to have two way cycle movement, although connectivity needed up to the Washington Street outbound cycle lane as mentioned.

This is a great start.

Consultation docs here: https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/consultation/interim-cycle-infrastructure-phase-2-south-mall

If we all mention this they may listen and redesign to allow great connectivity along Grand Parade too hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Hopefully there won't be too much opposition but I doubt it. Lot's of old money on the South Mall. In it's present form there is very poor use of road space, with two over wide traffic lanes for the length of the street. The footpaths are also in a poor state of repair.

This scheme needs to be progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not a fan of these 2 way cycle lanes on the same side of the road, it's not natural to cross over a lane of traffic to cycle on the right hand side. Also do you have to give way to traffic coming from Parliament Bridge? Its the busiest junction would have thought it would make more sense to have it in the other side, or one on each side like Washington St., though you'd have to contend with buses then.

Also how do you get to it from Grand Parade? By cycling across oncoming traffic? It won't be used by people coming from that direction, maybe if they come over Nano Nagle Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of these 2 way cycle lanes on the same side of the road, it's not natural to cross over a lane of traffic to cycle on the right hand side. Also do you have to give way to traffic coming from Parliament Bridge? Its the busiest junction would have thought it would make more sense to have it in the other side, or one on each side like Washington St., though you'd have to contend with buses then.

Yes separate segregation would be better. I would say they're going for two way due to the amount of bus stops on the S. Mall. Could get very tricky with waiting passengers spilling onto new bike lane. Parliament bridge junction will also be tricky.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Also how do you get to it from Grand Parade? By cycling across oncoming traffic? It won't be used by people coming from that direction, maybe if they come over Nano Nagle Bridge.
    The traffic lights at the corner of S. Mall and G. Parade will have to be used by cyclists to cross over, unless they're going to designate part of the G. Parade paving as a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Yes separate segregation would be better. I would say they're going for two way due to the amount of bus stops on the S. Mall. Could get very tricky with waiting passengers spilling onto new bike lane. Parliament bridge junction will also be tricky.

The traffic lights at the corner of S. Mall and G. Parade will have to be used by cyclists to cross over, unless they're going to designate part of the G. Parade paving as a cycle lane.
    Buses will be tricky, unless you go on road at these points? There are a lot of them so might defeat the purpose. Why not go full bus lane like Skehard Road? :D

Parliament Bridge would be OK I think, cyclists would have to be in the right hand lane anyway to access the cycle lane, not much of a change to head across to the other side of the road, more natural even and you won't suddenly be slamming on the brakes without warning to make the sharp right turn.

Made a submission anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Frostybrew wrote: »

I get the impression they are turning some of the footpath into bike lane on grand parade, they talk about moving the coca cola bikes back to accomodate.

• Advertisement

This submission someone posted on Twitter regarding the South Mall cycle lane made me laugh. Contradicts himself over and over. Has he seen the width of the road? :D

Advertisement