Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't get complaints like this. Whether the building is 2 storeys or 15, the neighbours' view is still...a building. What difference does the height of it make if you're not going to see over it either way. What you'd want to see over it is beyond me anyway since Cork has a terrible skyline and the sky is overcast 90% of the year. :confused:

Anything is better than what's there at the moment, regardless.

Complaint?? Or comment...??
    I quite like tall buildings, usually where they allow for more space around them.. But it's a bit like both your next door neighbours building 3 storey extension out the back of your terrace house... Your bright airy kitchen is suddenly in a canyon....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just walked past navigation square and they were taking down the old planning sheet and putting up two new ones, anyone have any idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

leahyl wrote: »
    Pretty nice though :pac:

Ya, its nice alright, I have buddies living in the lower end of the tower in a 2 bed apartment and its nice but their rent is about half that and I think they're paying too much. :o

I've no idea who would pay €3.5k a month for an apartment, you'd need a couple or a single person earning over €100k a year to live in it and people in that bracket are probably going to buy a house. :o

It is a nice listing though but unless you've stupid money, kind of pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Just walked past navigation square and they were taking down the old planning sheet and putting up two new ones, anyone have any idea ?

Request on the Cork city planning site for an additional generator at ground level. Think a big diesel generator about the size of an SUV sitting on the ground behind a fence somewhere to the side/rear of a building that they test run for an hour once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, its nice alright, I have buddies living in the lower end of the tower in a 2 bed apartment and its nice but their rent is about half that and I think they're paying too much. :o

I've no idea who would pay €3.5k a month for an apartment, you'd need a couple or a single person earning over €100k a year to live in it and people in that bracket are probably going to buy a house. :o

It'll probably be rented out by someone like Apple and used to house some of their high level staff. That's what's happening in Dublin with all the expensive apartments around the IFSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I heard (don't know if it's true or not) that many of the apartments were taken up by couples sharing. i.e. a 2 bedroom apartment would have 4 people splitting the rent, which make them far more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh totally, astronomical price. If I was a millionaire a hundred times over I might consider buying it ;)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

snotboogie wrote: »

Bit ridiculous. Don't think anyone expected it to get permission.

Where exactly is the site? Looking at google maps it's hard to see room for 5 apartment blocks.

Bit ridiculous. Don't think anyone expected it to get permission.

Where exactly is the site? Looking at google maps it's hard to see room for 5 apartment blocks.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/300697.htm

Site is the old joinery on Bandon rd, a commercial site being converted within a short walk of UCC. It’s somewhat emotive saying the apartments are going to be at the Lough, though they will be visible it seems. Still, hardly high rise and the more proper student accommodation gets built, the less they live next door to you, free to throw parties. Parties do not typically go on late in these blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

A couple of local hostelries and the convenience store will be very pleased at this development. Ching-ching!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MrDerp wrote: »
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/300697.htm

Site is the old joinery on Bandon rd, a commercial site being converted within a short walk of UCC. It’s somewhat emotive saying the apartments are going to be at the Lough, though they will be visible it seems. Still, hardly high rise and the more proper student accommodation gets built, the less they live next door to you, free to throw parties. Parties do not typically go on late in these blocks.

Indeed.

A significant shortage of housing, especially dedicated student accomodation (which is more space intensive than ordinary housing - frees up houses for people that need actual houses), and along comes a derelict former industrial site within walking distance of the college.

I don't see the problem here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

I agree that student apartments should be built in this area but they are all 8 bed apartments which is pretty grim.
    From my own experience of when I was a student, I feel like 5 bed apartments should be the maximum, after that it is a false economy for everyone

fiload wrote: »
    I agree that student apartments should be built in this area but they are all 8 bed apartments which is pretty grim.
    From my own experience of when I was a student, I feel like 5 bed apartments should be the maximum, after that it is a false economy for everyone

When I were a student there was only castle white and the student village on the straight road. Everyone lived in cold crappy rooms in cold crappy houses with shared Baltic bathrooms. I was lucky and lived at home, but I remember playing PlayStation at peoples houses with blankets over our shoulders. Every house had at least 4-5 blankets in the living room for watching tv. No one had heating because students couldn’t be trusted to pay the bill, and fireplaces were blocked up. Might be a few storage heaters if you were lucky.

And I’m not that old, I went to college this century

8 en suite rooms with desks, shared kitchen, district heating and communal study areas? Sounds ideal!

He is on the radio now spreading this :/ “the scale is too big” it’s not gonna be like Manhattan, although the “residents” think they will. “Sports clubs” not benefitting from the accommodation.. I really don’t think that’s a valid reason.

He literally just said about the rows nest being a good area and it should move to there. The crows nest already has permission for accommodation. Does he look at his cities planning at all?

He is on the radio now spreading this :/ “the scale is too big” it’s not gonna be like Manhattan, although the “residents” think they will. “Sports clubs” not benefitting from the accommodation.. I really don’t think that’s a valid reason.

He literally just said about the rows nest being a good area and it should move to there. The crows nest already has permission for accommodation. Does he look at his cities planning at all?

Mick Finn represents the Cork South Central ward so this is just classic NIMBYism really.

What are the odds that The Crows nest is probably in the neighbouring ward?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What are the odds that The Crows nest is probably in the neighbouring ward?
    If I'm not mistaken it got moved into North Central just before the last election...

TheChizler wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken it got moved into North Central just before the last election...

That was definitely true for the Dail constituencies but I'm on about city council wards.

Just looking it up there and it looks like it's in the South-West ward:

Cork_SW_550.jpg

He may be the mayor this year but he's got to get re-elected by the people of the south central ward!!

Cork_SCent_550.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wouldnt fancy living in an 8 bed apartment. 5or 6 max is ideal esp when it comes to cleaning etc. This developement is more bandon rd than lough and is ideal IMO. Close to both town and UCC and crawford college. Helps bring a bit of life of Barrack street too and benefit business there too.passed through Barrack st 3 years ago and its one of the worse in the city.
    Plus these student apartments will help free up houses around the lough glassheen etc that would otherwise have students living in them

passed through Barrack st 3 years ago and its one of the worse in the city.
    Barrack St was totally renovated 4 or 5 years ago. It's one of the nicest streets to walk through now IMO.

• Advertisement

Barrack St was totally renovated 4 or 5 years ago. It's one of the nicest streets to walk through now IMO.

Quite a few of the buildings are very run down but it’s defenitly nicer then it was with the cobble streets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Quite a few of the buildings are very run down but it’s defenitly nicer then it was with the cobble streets etc.

Yes it was the run down buildings i was referring too.i do like the cobble streets adds a bit of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The new Wilton Shopping Centre has surprisingly gotten approval, I thought there was some pretty strong objections:

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/100m-revamp-of-Wilton-centre-gets-approval-aaa3c970-cf84-4f9c-8bb4-de323de321c0-ds

The new Wilton Shopping Centre has surprisingly gotten approval, I thought there was some pretty strong objections:

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/100m-revamp-of-Wilton-centre-gets-approval-aaa3c970-cf84-4f9c-8bb4-de323de321c0-ds

Delighted. Live right across the road from it and atm it’s very meh for a center compared to the likes of Mahon point the shop variety is a lot less. Hopefully this will help!

Wonder how soon they will actually do anything though. Would be good to see something happen. I believe the Council plan to remove the roundabout at Leslie's Cross (with it's ludicrous lane markings) and install traffic lights - could be fun!

blindsider wrote: »
    I believe the Council plan to remove the roundabout at Leslie's Cross (with it's ludicrous lane markings) and install traffic lights - could be fun!
    Thought that was one of the more clearly marked ones TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Good news.
    The developer just rolls of the tongue...

Thought that was one of the more clearly marked ones TBH.

Hmm - try coming up Wilton Rd and turning right to head in to town on Glasheen Rd. A lane appears out of nowhere at a crazy angle - and there can be 3 cars trying to access it at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

That lane is very short, considering it has the most options available to it, and it annoys me anytime I use it as cars seem to have no idea how to use the roundabout correctly, and will use the middle lane to turn onto Glasheen.
    I was thinking that the roadworks at the moment we're to widen the road to have a third lane, but it looks like they're actually narrowing the road.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    Hmm - try coming up Wilton Rd and turning right to head in to town on Glasheen Rd. A lane appears out of nowhere at a crazy angle - and there can be 3 cars trying to access it at the same time!
    Never had an issue with it. The lanes are clearly marked, people following them is another thing.

Advertisement