Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

This submission someone posted on Twitter regarding the South Mall cycle lane made me laugh. Contradicts himself over and over. Has he seen the width of the road? :D

Is that an anonymous submission by Ann Doherty? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Is that an anonymous submission by Ann Doherty? :pac:

You'd swear Cork was full of high quality cycle lanes, on every street the way he's talking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This submission someone posted on Twitter regarding the South Mall cycle lane made me laugh. Contradicts himself over and over. Has he seen the width of the road? :D

There'll be no loss of road space for traffic on South Mall as a result of this proposal. That person is still more than welcome to sit in their car stuck in traffic for at least "30 minutes" as they put it - but trying to blame cycling for the motor traffic is really scraping the barrel. I'm surprised they didn't throw in the "too wet/hilly" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There'll be no loss of road space for traffic on South Mall as a result of this proposal. That person is still more than welcome to sit in their car stuck in traffic for at least "30 minutes" as they put it - but trying to blame cycling for the motor traffic is really scraping the barrel. I'm surprised they didn't throw in the "too wet/hilly" line.

There's no need for him to mention it, it's common knowledge it rains nowhere else and all other large towns on the planet are flat. Cork really is unique and nowhere else compares. God's country.

He's got that covered too... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

He's got that covered too... :rolleyes:

While I don't agree with that twitter points, I don't think these type of comments are constructive. We should focus on the points of a discussion instead of making a point of the person because of their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like the student accommodation on the Mardyke is close to topping out as the step-back story is being worked on at the moment.

516998.jpg
    516999.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bishop Lucey Park.

I've been visiting it quite it a bit these days to sit and have a coffee and watch the pigeons.

Not to be a moaner, but it has been really uncared for by the Council.

Bins are constantly overflowing, bird sh1t everywhere, the usual unsavoury types hanging around and harassing people, greenery not tended to.

At least I did see two gardai walk through recently, a rare sight.

Should there not be a warden keeping an eye on things? It doesn't feel safe and the shabbiness of it gives a terrible impression to visitors to the city.

OK, I do moan a little bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Bishop Lucey Park.

I've been visiting it quite it a bit these days to sit and have a coffee and watch the pigeons.

Not to be a moaner, but it has been really uncared for by the Council.

Bins are constantly overflowing, bird sh1t everywhere, the usual unsavoury types hanging around and harassing people, greenery not tended to.

Should there not be a warden keeping an eye on things? It doesn't feel safe and the shabbiness of it gives a terrible impression to visitors to the city.

OK, I do moan a little bit :)

Went there a few weeks ago and said the exact same thing. That place needs to be steamwashed every night, the amount of bird sh1t everywhere is crazy, it's destroyed. For a popular park in the city center and one of the only green places, it's a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I see the usual worthies have conjured up a Super Duper Cork Garda Street Crime Task Force (with push bikes)

8 guards and a sergeant, for the entire city. Laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Two new cranes gone up in the last week, one on the water treatment plant on the Lee Rd and one on the medical building next to the Victoria Hospital. Remarkably given the economic environment and that the huge project on Penrose Dock is nearing completion, there are 10 cranes in the city now. Likely more to come on the Bandon Rd student and possibly the Square Deal and The Prism if those sites move to actual construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Bishop Lucy Park is basically the only green space in the city centre and they’re not even able to keep it clean! It’s really not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Exactly, forget the crap looking refurb and just clean and police it, which you'll have to do in the new one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bishop Lucy Park is basically the only green space in the city centre and they’re not even able to keep it clean! It’s really not good enough

I'm amazed people go there instead of just walking out to Fitzgeralds park. It's been filthy for at least 20 years by now.

Coillte have withdrawn their application to build a road through Garryduff Woods / Old Court to facilitate substantial felling.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm amazed people go there instead of just walking out to Fitzgeralds park. It's been filthy for at least 20 years by now.

To many hills in the way and it's always raining too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you have half an hour to spare, in the city centre, you'd use it all up walking to and from Fitzgerald's Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Coveney is some man for turning sods

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Student apartments at Crows nest site flying up

IMG-20200621-115027.jpg

If you have half an hour to spare, in the city centre, you'd use it all up walking to and from Fitzgerald's Park.

I'd rather just browse in a shop or sit down in a cafe somewhere than sit in Peace Park tbh. Chance of being crapped on are too high with all those birds there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd rather just browse in a shop or sit down in a cafe somewhere than sit in Peace Park tbh. Chance of being crapped on are too high with all those birds there.

Why do so many people refer to that park as the "Peace Park"? That was never it's name. I appreciate there is a lot of anti church sentiment out there but Bishop Lucey Park is it's name.

Seamai wrote: »
    Why do so many people refer to that park as the "Peace Park"? That was never it's name. I appreciate there is a lot of anti church sentiment out there but Bishop Lucey Park is it's name.

I know! Peace Park is by Electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I know! Peace Park is by Electric.

Yes, correct! if you could call it a park, it's so small. The city centre is badly in need of more green spaces, but short of knocking down a few blocks I'm not sure how we'd solve this.
    Bishop Lucey Park isn't much more than an acre, there's barely a blade of grass in much of it as it's so heavily used.

Yes, correct! if you could call it a park, it's so small. The city centre is badly in need of more green spaces, but short of knocking down a few blocks I'm not sure how we'd solve this.
    Bishop Lucey Park isn't much more than an acre, there's barely a blade of grass in much of it as it's so heavily used.

Well, I live right next to the Pile of Rubble™ across the river. The rubble has just started to be cleared this week.

Are the plans to build a hotel still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Well, I live right next to the Pile of Rubble™ across the river. The rubble has just started to be cleared this week.

Are the plans to build a hotel still going ahead?

Nah, they need a new yard while they clear the event centre site :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

Coveney is some man for turning sods

The man has never seen a bog in his life! No wonder his turned sods never make it home!

I always thought it was Peace Park as well. Even if you google Peace Park, it just refers you to Bishop Lucy Park

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Somebody told me that the Church of Ireland donated that plot of land to Cork city, and the Corporation promptly named it after one of the most reactionary bigots in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in the twentieth century. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Somebody told me that the Church of Ireland donated that plot of land to Cork city, and the Corporation promptly named it after one of the most reactionary bigots in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church in the twentieth century. Nice one.

Wasn’t Bishop Lucey Park previously occupied by a load of buildings which burned down in the 70s and then got turned into a Park? The gates and arch were originally from somewhere down in the docks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

From Anglesea Street (or at least the gate was). You can still see some of the original buildings

https://goo.gl/maps/LrJwbDk914XWq595A

It looks like the walls and fences are the same as the original at the Brewery Quarter too so maybe they copied these https://goo.gl/maps/RvqrxU3xaywBfpV79

Advertisement