Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭thomil

snotboogie wrote: »
    Around this time last year a parklet sprung up in the city and I swear there was a thousand twitter posts praising it. It was nice and all but it was like something you'd build in your own back garden.

To be fair, the hullabaloo was more related to the fact that SOME sort of greenery appeared of Douglas Street rather than the “exquisite” design. I think it was actually designed to be a proof of concept if you will for quick and easy greening & traffic calming solution.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Around this time last year a parklet sprung up in the city and I swear there was a thousand twitter posts praising it. It was nice and all but it was like something you'd build in your own back garden.

I think that was the whole point - that for very little cost and expense you can improve the streetscape immensely. Whereas that stupid sky garden has cost a ludicrous amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

opus wrote: »
    For sure, Glen River park (that most people don't know about!) doesn't get a single rubbish bin in there. In fact a local group have a clean up organised every month seeing as the council won't do it.

This sight greets me every time I walk into town, has anyone come any plans to do something about the eyesore in front of the Bridewell Garda station?

518170.jpg

The condition of that place by the Bridewell is absolutely blood boiling. How Ann Doherty sleeps at night I don’t know.

To sort it out, one of the volunteer groups should contact that Garden designer lad from Midleton who won Supergarden on RTÉ and let him come up with a simple budget design and set up a Go Fund Me for it.

Basically just bypass the incompetent dopes in the suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭RINO87

thomil wrote: »
    To be fair, the hullabaloo was more related to the fact that SOME sort of greenery appeared of Douglas Street rather than the “exquisite” design. I think it was actually designed to be a proof of concept if you will for quick and easy greening & traffic calming solution.

It was a cool little yoke, we should have more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Planning lodged for redevelopment of queens old castle. 2 retail units plus offices at rear. Mainly internal changes it seems. I wonder if new tenants are lined up.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/plans-lodged-for-the-redevelopment-of-corks-historic-queens-old-castle-1008435.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

CHealy wrote: »
    That entire block of side streets between OPS and South Mall, including OPS should be pedestrianised. I cringe when I see cars creeping their way up past the GPO on a packed Saturday, theres very few cities in Europe that would have it. Same as Paul St, where in the name of god are these people going?

Cork likes to think its a nice small city but in reality it has the attitude of the rural village when it comes to these topics. Its always a case of "where can I leave my car" instead of scenes like we saw on Princess St last night. The one that always gets to me is Oliver Plunket St, that should be from top to bottom a hub of outdoor stalls and dining with street covers.

Fully agree about all the narrow streets. Should all be permanently covered.

Example here from Tokyo. (The lad in the video says the streets that were covered used to be quiet and now they’re all buzzing)

https://youtu.be/VTeZcRNw3A8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

calnand wrote: »
    I think they were arguing the council should build the bridges at one stage.

But as far as I know, not building something in the approved plans is not a violation, only changes.

IIRC, the council were quite keen on the bridges being included. The planning may have been conditional on them being incorporated?

I do remember reading suggestions that the council paying for the bridges. I think it was when BAM were looking for additional public investment, and this was mooted as a possible workaround.. Instead of allocating additional funds to BAM (which could be problematic) and them building the bridges, reduce the costs to BAM by the council taking responsibility for providing the bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Fully agree about all the narrow streets. Should all be permanently covered.

Example here from Tokyo. (The lad in the video says the streets that were covered used to be quiet and now they’re all buzzing)

https://youtu.be/VTeZcRNw3A8

I've always thought that was a great idea for Oliver Plunkett Street but I prefer the more airy (and probably far more expensive) covers in Clark Quay in Singapore: https://images.app.goo.gl/C4U2EAavrvoch8RA6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I've always thought that was a great idea for Oliver Plunkett Street but I prefer the more airy (and probably far more expensive) covers in Clark Quay in Singapore: https://images.app.goo.gl/C4U2EAavrvoch8RA6

Yes, similar already exists not too far away in Waterford City.

apple-market.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ballincollig primary care centre site. Large crane appeared this week.

Carraig centre also on old fort road opened its outdoor play facilities. Interior of building still like a building site thanks to covid19 related stoppage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Carraig centre also on old fort road opened its outdoor play facilities. Interior of building still like a building site thanks to covid19 related stoppage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

They'd be handy to have for when it buckets down, surprised we don't have more in Ireland tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

apple-market.jpg

That would be perfect if it didn't have the run running through the middle of it.

That would be perfect if it didn't have the run running through the middle of it.

Yeah that's a shame alright, I always thought that area of the city was pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Up to 4th floor level at the Crow's nest site. Also the planning notice dated June 29th from the Coca Cola site on the straight road.

518506.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

There seems to be some movement removing furniture and the like from the Glenanaar pub in recent days so perhaps work may begin there in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Up to 4th floor level at the Crow's nest site. Also the planning notice dated June 29th from the Coca Cola site on the straight road.

518506.jpg

Wow its already starting to dwarf those older buildings on the left there. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. Going by the renderings it'll be quite striking. In a good way. Great to see that site used for something finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wow its already starting to dwarf those older buildings on the left there. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. Going by the renderings it'll be quite striking. In a good way. Great to see that site used for something finally :)

It's taller than the County Hall:eek:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Qcnc99ePpTSwK8AY9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It's taller than the County Hall:eek:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Qcnc99ePpTSwK8AY9

Careful now! That new group will starting complaining about it. Whats this there called? .... oh yeah: The whingers against anything new group.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Couple of small things ive seen building being demolished on corner of wood street/lynchs street and also start of thomas davis street in blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Thats not a crane, its a piling rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Crow's Nest looks like 9 storeys to me....?

http://www.jvtierney.ie/projects/ucc-crow-s-nest-student-accommodation-cork

Not convinced by the design - but I suppose we're stuck with it now......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Went out for my allowed bit of personal exercise early this morning to get empty roads & spotted a planning notice on the long derelict site at the end of the Mardyke (near AIB) for 30 apartments, presumably for students. Good time to throw it up, a lot of the residents of the Mardyke are on the older side so won't be out to read it & object (or I am just being cynical?).

507486.jpg

This got rejected by the council, it looks like the same people have been applying to build there for the last 15 years! I admire their persistence.

518647.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

A LARGE scale student accommodation development in Cork city has been given the go-ahead by An Bord Pleanála, provided four apartments are removed from the plans.It has given the green light for 21 instead of 25 apartments to be constructed on the former Kelleher’s Tyres Service Centre on Victoria Cross Road, resulting in a reduction in bed capacity from the 154 planned.

Conditional permission was previously granted for the development by Cork City Council, but one of the conditions was subsequently appealed by the developers to An Bord Pleanala.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-city-student-development-given-green-light-by-planning-board-f6d85b5c-fcf1-4ed5-a5ca-ccf3871d8d3a-ds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There needs to be a thorough investigation of all buildings in the city centre. I thought that would have been done after the incidents in the 2000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    There needs to be a thorough investigation of all buildings in the city centre. I thought that would have been done after the incidents in the 2000s?

Isn't this the third building now within 2019/2020 years? Queens castle, this new building and another one on washington street? Did north main street building get boarded up in 2019 or 2018?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Isn't this the third building now within 2019/2020 years? Queens castle, this new building and another one on washington street? Did north main street building get boarded up in 2019 or 2018?

Was it last year? Still an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The issue with the current building is that i dont believe its derelict in any way shape or form , with the ground floor unit active and renters above . Judging by the initial reports at least.

To be fair to the council is a building is actively occupied and generating income you would expect any issues with stablilty , water ingress etc. to be reported and fixed by the landlord pronto in their own interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

blindsider wrote: »
    Crow's Nest looks like 9 storeys to me....?

http://www.jvtierney.ie/projects/ucc-crow-s-nest-student-accommodation-cork

Not convinced by the design - but I suppose we're stuck with it now......

They can call it the Minecraft Quarter.
    Ugly pile.

Advertisement