Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not surprising really. The Council are just useless. And why the hell does anyone need to drive their monster BMW SUV down narrow streets like that. Ridiculous.

The Woodford and Osaka should put tables and chairs out on the centre of the street and do what the moveable sign cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

bingo9999 wrote: »
    The Woodford and Osaka should put tables and chairs out on the centre of the street and do what the moveable sign cant.

How would the people who live down St. Paul's avenue get in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

high horse wrote: »

Dalton's Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From Cornmarket Street. Down the side of Dennehy's pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Spotted this on Twitter. Paul St "pedestrianisation"...

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Canty/status/1278987338413232128?s=19

From Cornmarket Street. Down the side of Dennehy's pub.

I didn't think that was for cars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kelleher's Tyres student accomodation on Victoria Cross Road was also approved by ABP this week (after an appeal).

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/306714.htm

Also courtesy DylanG on SSC:

Permission for 154 student bedspaces in 25 apartments on the Former Kellehers Tyres site on Victoria Cross Road has been upheld by An Bord Pleanala (the inspector recommended refusal). A condition has been placed that the top two set back floors (seventh and eighth storeys) be omitted, which will lead to four apartments being omitted.

I didn't think that was for cars.

Whether it is or not, cars regularly use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Walk, cycle, Rollorbald etc etc... but they don't need to drive in that area no matter the excuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

snotboogie wrote: »

Not sure if this is related, but there are plans to build housing on the Glen Valley River, which is, or was, a protected ecological area under the existing development plan.

My dad is on the council and is trying to stop this development to protect the valley. I'll try to get more details for posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spotted this on Twitter. Paul St "pedestrianisation"...

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Canty/status/1278987338413232128?s=19

Apparently after the consultation the Council decided to only have the pedestrianisation from the junction with St Paul's Avenue so the narrowest part of Paul Street with the most shops between the junction of Daunt Square and St Paul's Avenue is still open for business for cars. There is a huge lack of transparency here. The consultation document was very clear on where the pedestrianisation would start but a decision to the contrary has been made by someone and the public are left in the dark. Waste of time contributing to consultations it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

They painted a new arrow on the street and all maybe the could change the one way into st pauls avenue so they could drive in from lavitts quay instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Saw this on twitter this morning. Looks interesting.

https://twitter.com/CorkCommuter/status/1279176700077772801?s=20

Nice buzz around the place today, even with the works on Tuckey St it was still quite busy!

https://twitter.com/CorkHealthyCity/status/1279402508616638466?s=19

https://twitter.com/IBIKECork/status/1279479171656409089?s=19

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Apparently after the consultation the Council decided to only have the pedestrianisation from the junction with St Paul's Avenue so the narrowest part of Paul Street with the most shops between the junction of Daunt Square and St Paul's Avenue is still open for business for cars. There is a huge lack of transparency here. The consultation document was very clear on where the pedestrianisation would start but a decision to the contrary has been made by someone and the public are left in the dark. Waste of time contributing to consultations it would seem.

Yeah they've switched the signage to "no through traffic".. A complete balls if they're still permitting cars to use the narrowest part of the street.. Ridiculous really. Pointless

Yeah they've switched the signage to "no through traffic".. A complete balls if they're still permitting cars to use the narrowest part of the street.. Ridiculous really. Pointless

It galls me hearing ccc on the radio taking praise for Prince's Street, saying that they've pedestrianised 7 streets!
    Now, credit where credit's due. Prince's Street is brilliant but they have done as good as nothing else to make Cork more pedestrian friendly.
    And as I understand it, the Prince's Street initiative was lead by the traders, anyway.

Because of Prince's Street, half the country thinks ccc are trailblazers when the polar opposite is true.

Still at it. No wonder illegal parking is so rife throughout town. CCC do it themselves.

https://twitter.com/cobyhectic/status/1279746025004183557?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

...and they crossed the road to park in the wrong direction! Not to mention the original offence!!!!

This sh1te boils my blood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

I mentioned that place before cars are constantly parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Does anyone know when the new park in Haulbowline is supposed to be opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi7

blindsider wrote: »
    ...and they crossed the road to park in the wrong direction! Not to mention the original offence!!!!

This sh1te boils my blood!

perhaps , you should consider getting a life !?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks for your concern - I have a life - one in which I learned: to use a capital letter at the start of a sentence, not to leave a space before a comma, not to leave a space before an exclamation mark, and the correct formation of an interrobang.

I also learned not to post petty remarks at 0200 on the interwebz!

As I say, thanks for your concern.

The reason this annoys me is because it's an ignorant, dangerous form of road use. The driver had to cross a busy street to park facing the wrong way. When s/he leaves, they will hold up 2 lanes of traffic and increase the risk of an accident.

The van belongs to the City Council - this is not a good example for them to set.

In many other countries, including most of the EU, this is an offence and the van would be ticketed - oh for such enforcement here!

Perhaps we might get back on topic now.......

...........The driver had to cross a busy street to park facing the wrong way...............
    In many other countries, including most of the EU, this is an offence and the van would be ticketed - oh for such enforcement here!

Unless they crossed a continuous white line it's not an offence here.

Augeo wrote: »
    Unless they crossed a continuous white line it's not an offence here.

I just looked on street view and there is a continuous white line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi7

Thanks for your concern - I have a life - one in which I learned: to use a capital letter at the start of a sentence, not to leave a space before a comma, not to leave a space before an exclamation mark, and the correct formation of an interrobang.

I also learned not to post petty remarks at 0200 on the interwebz!

As I say, thanks for your concern.

The reason this annoys me is because it's an ignorant, dangerous form of road use. The driver had to cross a busy street to park facing the wrong way. When s/he leaves, they will hold up 2 lanes of traffic and increase the risk of an accident.

The van belongs to the City Council - this is not a good example for them to set.

You mean now that you've had your little rant around the block, is it!?

BTW, the little petulant rant illustrating yet again that you badly need to get a life, & maybe find real things that actually affect you personally to get so exercised about....

daithi7 wrote: »

BTW, the little petulant rant illustrating yet again that you badly need to get a life, & maybe find real things that actually affect you personally to get so exercised about....

Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

daithi7 wrote: »

Just move on. You're the only one taking issue with his post. Everyone else agrees it's ridiculous the council spit in the face of their own "policies"

Back on topic, interesting article student accommodation demand in Cork due to Covid

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/special-report-demand-for-new-student-accommodation-in-cork-could-be-hit-by-the-pandemic-1009426.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK lets drop the rudeness and personal jibes or bans will be forthcoming.

Advertisement