Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Now that the apartment block next to the Gate cinema has been painted, this building has become the biggest eyesore walking into town from Shandon so good to see the 'for sale' sign appear.

519177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

opus wrote: »
    Now that the apartment block next to the Gate cinema has been painted, this building has become the biggest eyesore walking into town from Shandon so good to see the 'for sale' sign appear.

Shandon Area Renewal Association offered to paint that building a few years ago, providing paint and labour if the landlord would supply the scaffolding.
    Landlord refused.

I'd like to see a system where landlords are forced to maintain their properties or else for the council to maintain them and there be a mechanism for the landlords to be charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

100%. Same with graffiti, some kind of carrot and stick approach - council will fund removal but if not taken up in a certain amount of time the fines start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Any updates on the Prism construction? It doesn't appear anything much is going on there at the moment (at least nothing I can see above the hoarding). I would've thought the elevator shaft would be shooting up by now at least. Are they still doing groundworks or something?

Also, any word on the Custom House Quay Skyscraper? No update on it since March when they revealed the re-design.

I'd be getting very worried about any hotel-based developments post-coronavirus. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Planning decision due on the Custom House Tower next week

Though from what we know of these developments, we might as well start keeping an eye on the An Bord Pleanala website from the following week

I personally remain optimistic about it. This won’t go on forever and travel has rebounded better than many had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

Any updates on the Prism construction? It doesn't appear anything much is going on there at the moment (at least nothing I can see above the hoarding). I would've thought the elevator shaft would be shooting up by now at least. Are they still doing groundworks or something?

Also, any word on the Custom House Quay Skyscraper? No update on it since March when they revealed the re-design.

I'd be getting very worried about any hotel-based developments post-coronavirus. :(

Prism - Unofficially paused
    Custom House - Decision due on planning in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

marno21 wrote: »
    Planning decision due on the Custom House Tower next week

Though from what we know of these developments, we might as well start keeping an eye on the An Bord Pleanala website from the following week

I personally remain optimistic about it. This won’t go on forever and travel has rebounded better than many had expected.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Shandon Area Renewal Association offered to paint that building a few years ago, providing paint and labour if the landlord would supply the scaffolding.
    Landlord refused.

I'd like to see a system where landlords are forced to maintain their properties or else for the council to maintain them and there be a mechanism for the landlords to be charged for it.

There is one - The Derelict Sites register which every council in the country is statutorily obliged to maintain, but next to no enforcement by CCC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is one - The Derelict Sites register which every council in the country is statutorily obliged to maintain, but next to no enforcement by CCC

But surely, a site can't be considered derelict if the building is being used?
    This building had/has a solicitors office in it - I believe the solicitor is the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

opus wrote: »
    This got rejected by the council, it looks like the same people have been applying to build there for the last 15 years! I admire their persistence.

“visually overbearing” - I think that's planner's speak for ugly.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true_x0=0.83_y0=2.61_x1=96.67_y1=87.58_format=1.7777777777777777__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-city-apartment-block-plans-refused--13d2a235-bf17-4bc7-8b87-e9369de52d4c-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

But surely, a site can't be considered derelict if the building is being used?
    This building had/has a solicitors office in it - I believe the solicitor is the landlord.

Oh really - sorry didn't realise that. Presume they're concerned about the impression it gives to clients?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Apogee wrote: »

Bit of an odd comment from them considering they approve FAR uglier buildings than this.

It IS awful-looking, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭snotboogie

rounders wrote: »
    Prism - Unofficially paused
    Custom House - Decision due on planning in two weeks

I thought The Prism was set to resume in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    I thought The Prism was set to resume in August?

Yeah, heard likewise. Presumably we're in a bit of a "wait and see" phase though when it comes to the economic impact of the last few months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

San Paula student accommodation on Orchard Road has been filed with ABP

https://orchardroadshd.ie/

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307441.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Another new hostel for Lower Oliver Plunkett Street. Building has a bit of character. Finished job should look good.

https://twitter.com/idahocafe/status/1280923835068538884?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I don't understand the significance of being 389 metres from Idaho. Could someone please explain it to me?

high horse wrote: »
    I don't understand the significance of being 389 metres from Idaho. Could someone please explain it to me?

The fella who put up the tweet works there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Obviously things are up in the air.. but there's a lot of planned accommodation in that area. You already have Jury's Inn and the Clayton; and potentially add to that this development, the hotel by the bus station, and the Custom House tower. You'd also have the Dean and Yorke St. hotel, and maybe even the Metropole redevelopment and the M (within 389 metres!). There was also the proposed floatel, though I assume that's been abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi7

Bit of an odd comment from them considering they approve FAR uglier buildings than this.

It IS awful-looking, though.

I wonder would the planners consider that dreadful black cladded monstrosity being built by Kent station as "visually overbearing"???

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

They approved it, so no.

Surprised that one was refused, didnt seem too bad to me, also knowing how awful everything looks after being run through a coffee stained scanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

daithi7 wrote: »
    I wonder would the planners consider that dreadful black cladded monstrosity being built by Kent station as "visually overbearing"???

I pass it several times a week and have to say I don't dislike it. Pretty much everything else being built or in the pipeline at the moment in the city falls into the very safe, unimaginative "glass box" category. I'd like to see a few buildings that broke away from the ordinary and took a few chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi7

Seamai wrote: »
    I pass it several times a week and have to say I don't dislike it. Pretty much everything else being built or in the pipeline at the moment in the city falls into the very safe, unimaginative "glass box" category. I'd like to see a few buildings that broke away from the ordinary and took a few chances.

Worse, it looks bad now imho, when it's shiny & new, but it will look truly awful in a couple of years when the black cladding begins to soil, gets sun affected and gathers rail exhaust stains on it.....

Give me a glass box there instead any day.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

marno21 wrote: »
    San Paula student accommodation on Orchard Road has been filed with ABP

https://orchardroadshd.ie/

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307441.htm

Will be interesting to see if they get approval for that given the amount of well-financed opposition likely on that road! It's is pretty nondescript I have to say but guess can't argue with the location.

Spotted this in the Echo, good news for Barrack St but I do remember some good gigs in Nancy Spains so a small bit of regret to see it gone.

519305.jpg

Cork housing: Work to begin on city council scheme on Barrack Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1281351220884635655?s=19

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1281474186188337153?s=19

The result :

20200628-211815.jpg

20200703-111907.jpg

Sigh.. One would assume this is one of the easiest streets to pedestrianise permanently! They can't even do it properly for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In fairness if you lived down there you'd probably be less than pleased to be told the street is closed as of tomorrow ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there space to turn near the end of Paul's Ave ? It's a while since I've walked down there ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got beeped out of it by a car while walking down the middle of Oliver Plunkett St. yesterday afternoon, very disappointed to learn that all the fuss was about returning to the old 11am-5pm "pedestrianisation". With all the praise the council were getting I thought cars were restricted to night time only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Markcheese wrote: »
    In fairness if you lived down there you'd probably be less than pleased to be told the street is closed as of tomorrow ...

It went through weeks of public consultations.
    And I have no issue with residents using the street to access their property/car parking for their homes.

I take great issue however in half arsed implementation of pedestrianisation measures, which Cork City Council seem to be doing across the city. This leads to multiple cases of motorists simply using the street, because they can, e.g signs pulled back. They're not even trying.

Even Oliver Plunkett Street had its automated barriers down for some unknown reason yesterday. Its a joke.

Advertisement