Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

And I have no issue with residents using the street to access their property/car parking for their homes.

Of course. But there’s a right and wrong way to do that. Many Continental cities have pedestrianised cores and residents have to displayed a resident pass. Florence seems to take it a step further with cameras. When there five years ago, I accidentally drove about 30 metres into a quiet pedestrian zone. I realised my mistake and reversed. Six months later, I got a letter to my address in Ireland from the Florence traffic police. There was a fine and a photo of the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cantalach wrote: »
    Of course. But there’s a right and wrong way to do that. Many Continental cities have pedestrianised cores and residents have to displayed a resident pass. Florence seems to take it a step further with cameras. When there five years ago, I accidentally drove about 30 metres into a quiet pedestrian zone. I realised my mistake and reversed. Six months later, I got a letter to my address in Ireland from the Florence traffic police. There was a fine and a photo of the car!

Exactly, there's technology out there that works brilliantly.

As you say, many villages, towns and cities have pedestrian only zones with the only exception being for residents and strict delivery hours. Italy is a great example. "ZTL" I believe they call them.

Patrick's Street bus priority hours is one that seriously needs camera enforcement / bus gates, as it is being continously ignored by motorists, and Gardai don't seem interested in enforcing it anymore. They'd have the equipment costs recouped in a few short weeks in fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

After heavy rains last night/this morning the river in the city centre is in a fairly ugly state (hard to capture on phone, but the water is gray/brown). Looks like maybe dirt/dust runoff from construction sites? Can't imagine that's great for whatever wildlife is/was in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

who_me wrote: »
    After heavy rains last night/this morning the river in the city centre is in a fairly ugly state (hard to capture on phone, but the water is gray/brown). Looks like maybe dirt/dust runoff from construction sites? Can't imagine that's great for whatever wildlife is/was in the river.

That's pretty normal after very heavy rain.
    Going by the roads, this morning, a lot of rain fell last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

who_me wrote: »

As long as it's not toxic they'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Not good to read this :(
    A €25m state-funded quay extension at one of the country’s busiest fishing ports has ground to a halt and the reopening this month of Cork’s restored Shakey bridge is in doubt.

Reopening of Cork’s restored Shakey Bridge in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

opus wrote: »

What's going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

That is a very confusing article. My understanding is that the contractors work hasn't been up to standard on some of their projects so it might be the same on the shakey bridge and might delay the opening until they find out if it's up to standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rounders wrote: »
    That is a very confusing article. My understanding is that the contractors work hasn't been up to standard on some of their projects so it might be the same on the shakey bridge and might delay the opening until they find out if it's up to standard?

Thought the same re the confusing aspect of it - thought the company might be going bust but sounds like they are doing fine, so wouldn't make sense, so maybe what you suggested is what the issue is - although seem like a pretty well known reputable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The council just released their plans to improve McCurtain St. (and all surrounding streets).

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/maccurtain-street-public-transport-improvement-scheme-announced.html

This is all good stuff as far as I can tell. Looks very impressive and is badly needed. McCurtain St is basically a car park at present and it looks like these plans remove all car parking spaces along the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

The council just released their plans to improve McCurtain St. (and all surrounding streets).

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/news-room/latest-news/maccurtain-street-public-transport-improvement-scheme-announced.html

This is all good stuff as far as I can tell. Looks very impressive and is badly needed. McCurtain St is basically a car park at present and it looks like these plans remove all car parking spaces along the street.

I am in two minds about it. On one hand it looks brilliant and will look way better than it does currently. On the other hand I spin in to get takeaways from Novocento, The Fish Wife and Sakura - usually stopping outside and running in to get the food, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to do that. Either way, it does look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

rounders wrote: »

huge problems ongoing within Keatings. Haven't paid Subbies in a while. if rumours are true they are going out of business soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

shnaek wrote: »
    I am in two minds about it. On one hand it looks brilliant and will look way better than it does currently. On the other hand I spin in to get takeaways from Novocento, The Fish Wife and Sakura - usually stopping outside and running in to get the food, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to do that. Either way, it does look good.

There will surely be SOME parking, it's just not shown in the images (there appears to be only 1 actual image of McCurtain St itself). Obviously going to be loading bays aplenty as well consideing how many shops & restaurants are on the street.

Anything's better than this, though.

C6-Ficab-XQAE7enz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

shnaek wrote: »

Have a look on page 24 and 25 or the plans for the road layout. Some loading bays retained at 2 places on that side so some scope to keep stopping. If you think it needs more throw that into the consultation
    https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/consultation/maccurtain-street-public-transport-improvement-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Looks great. MacCurtain St has a great vibe, lots of nice eating places but it is absolutely ruined with traffic, narrow footpaths and cars parked everywhere. The bus lane is a joke and double parking on the street is routine.

Looks like there's set down areas also for the restaurants. Thumbs up all round. One thing I noticed there is no mention if this is being built with a possible future Luas light rail corridor in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Need to have bus gates on that and leave it for bikes and buses. Scrap the parking too. On street parking there is such a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

MacCurtain is one of , if not the main rd, out of the city heading east.
    Traffic will still have to use it to get out of the city. Its gonna be one lane from bridge street all the way along up mac curtain st...which will have a knock on effect traffic-wise on the cars turning right on patricks quay and cars over patricks bridge.
    When the schools eventually come back traffic will be even worse than it already is round wellington road. Coburg st will be closed to traffic and Patrick st is gonna be one way going up now. So its all gonna get pushed up to st lukes (which is a dangerous crossroads at the best of times) or towards the north city link road. I'm all for the rejuvenation and the expanded footpaths, tress etc look great. But its gonna be gridlock everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    MacCurtain is one of , if not the main rd, out of the city heading east.
    Traffic will still have to use it to get out of the city. Its gonna be one lane from bridge street all the way along up mac curtain st...which will have a knock on effect traffic-wise on the cars turning right on patricks quay and cars over patricks bridge.
    When the schools eventually come back traffic will be even worse than it already is round wellington road. Coburg st will be closed to traffic and Patrick st is gonna be one way going up now. So its all gonna get pushed up to st lukes (which is a dangerous crossroads at the best of times) or towards the north city link road. I'm all for the rejuvenation and the expanded footpaths, tress etc look great. But its gonna be gridlock everywhere else.
    Look at the consult website. They explain how car traffic can get from the northside to the southside, how southside traffic to get to the northside and how northside traffic can get to the east. This hast been planned out in isolation. Look at the description on skyscrapercity, there are a huge amount of changes to accommodate this

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/cork-parks-public-realm.2200228/page-7

The street furniture and paving is modern blandifying in this much trumped historic area. Reminds me of an outlet village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I see there are trees in those images on McCurtain Street. I'm all for trees in city centres, especially in Cork where green spaces are pretty scarce but the city council needs to take care of them. Many of them planted on Patrick Street 15 years ago were damaged by vehicles and never replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The street furniture and paving is modern blandifying in this much trumped historic area. Reminds me of an outlet village.

I agree. A bit more imagination is needed.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I agree. A bit more imagination is needed.

For example, anyone who has been to Lisbon has seen the beautiful cobblestone paving.

I know tiling is a part of Portuguese heritage, but just pointing to something along these lines.

8758c82d372a6d50accb5cc0440991de.jpg

For example, anyone who has been to Lisbon has seen the beautiful cobblestone paving.

8758c82d372a6d50accb5cc0440991de.jpg

The are beautiful but very labour intensive, I've seen hoards of workers chipping away at the blocks so the fit (I think they refer to them as dragons or dinosaur's teeth). When they've been down a while and the ground underneath settles they can become quite uneven and lethal when wet but I've often admired them while there.

Seamai wrote: »
    The are beautiful but very labour intensive, I've seen hoards of workers chipping away at the blocks so the fit (I think they refer to them as dragons or dinosaur's teeth). When they've been down a while and the ground underneath settles they can become quite uneven.

Yeah they are built stone by stone. Amazing though.

I'm not suggesting copying this effort, just pointing to something more imaginative than the same type of square concrete paving that is prevalent in other parts of the city.

Yeah they are built stone by stone. Amazing though.

I'm not suggesting copying this effort, just pointing to something more imaginative than the same type of square concrete paving that is prevalent in other parts of the city.

I don't think much of the surface on Mary Elmes' bridge either, granted you'll probably never slip on it but it doesn't take much to make it look grubby.

Look at the consult website. They explain how car traffic can get from the northside to the southside, how southside traffic to get to the northside and how northside traffic can get to the east. This hast been planned out in isolation. Look at the description on skyscrapercity, there are a huge amount of changes to accommodate this

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/cork-parks-public-realm.2200228/page-7

I've had a look at the online plans already and the new layouts. And to me it seems it's going to cause even more crazy amounts of traffic on school mornings.
    Say I'm dropping my kid off at Christians/school mhuire....how do I get back out east to glanmire/carrigtwohill for example?
    Wellington rd, Patrick's hill intersection and Hardwick st are going to be even more gridlocked than they usually are! Traffic will turn back around and head to st Luke's in order to come back down summerhill to out head east.
    I think them flipping Coburg street into a one way street in the other direction make no sense.

Just one thing on the surfaces... hopefully theyve learned their lesson with the ice rink that's Patrick's street when its wet!
    Also they need proper cycle lanes. Any of that paving mentioned above or the stuff in pana and people will be coming off their bikes every day.

Just one thing on the surfaces... hopefully theyve learned their lesson with the ice rink that's Patrick's street when its wet!
    Also they need proper cycle lanes. Any of that paving mentioned above or the stuff in pana and people will be coming off their bikes every day.

It looks like using paving left over from Pana. It's all very well planting trees but I don't trust they'll be looked after.

I don't understand why money is being fired at yet another vanity project and NM Street getting worse by the day, looking like downtown Basra.

It looks like using paving left over from Pana. It's all very well planting trees but I don't trust they'll be looked after.

I don't understand why money is being fired at yet another vanity project and NM Street getting worse by the day, looking like downtown Basra.

This is primarily an NTA project, focused on public transport as MacCurtain St is a public transport corridor that is a key route under CMATS. North Main Street has nothing to do with this.

• Advertisement

I've had a look at the online plans already and the new layouts. And to me it seems it's going to cause even more crazy amounts of traffic on school mornings.
    Say I'm dropping my kid off at Christians/school mhuire....how do I get back out east to glanmire/carrigtwohill for example?.

Put them on to bus/train. Both Kent and the Bus Station are within handy walking distance of that school. Or drive in a certain distance, and let them walk the rest of the way. They don't need to be driven to the front door of the school.

Advertisement