Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I've had a look at the online plans already and the new layouts. And to me it seems it's going to cause even more crazy amounts of traffic on school mornings.
    Say I'm dropping my kid off at Christians/school mhuire....how do I get back out east to glanmire/carrigtwohill for example?
    Wellington rd, Patrick's hill intersection and Hardwick st are going to be even more gridlocked than they usually are! Traffic will turn back around and head to st Luke's in order to come back down summerhill to out head east.
    I think them flipping Coburg street into a one way street in the other direction make no sense.

Stop dropping them to the front door of the school and parking on footpaths. I live in the area and i'm sick of entitled parents parking on footpaths dropping off their little dahlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Here's a video of the overall traffic plan

https://virtualengage.arup.com/maccurtain-street/Videos/Video.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It looks like using paving left over from Pana. It's all very well planting trees but I don't trust they'll be looked after.

I don't understand why money is being fired at yet another vanity project and NM Street getting worse by the day, looking like downtown Basra.

North Main St is a kip, no amount of cosmetic work can disguise that. If the city council are serious about regeneration they should be working with the property owners to attract the right type of businesses to set up there.

namloc1980 wrote: »

If Patrick's Quay is to become a more important artery I hope that Aircoach and Citylink will be forced to find somewhere else as a terminal otherwise it will be chaos.

I've had a look at the online plans already and the new layouts. And to me it seems it's going to cause even more crazy amounts of traffic on school mornings.
    Say I'm dropping my kid off at Christians/school mhuire....how do I get back out east to glanmire/carrigtwohill for example?
    Wellington rd, Patrick's hill intersection and Hardwick st are going to be even more gridlocked than they usually are! Traffic will turn back around and head to st Luke's in order to come back down summerhill to out head east.
    I think them flipping Coburg street into a one way street in the other direction make no sense.

Could they not be dropped somewhere else and walk the last 5 to 10 minutes? Or God forbid use public transport? What would be so wrong with that? I pass that way in the mornings walking to work and it's chaos but to me the problem is the high percentage of parents dropping their kids to the 3 schools within 100 metres of each other, not really the traffic layout. Parents deciding to send their kids to particular schools in the city centre when they may live 5 or 6km or more away are actually part of problem but that's a whole other argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Seamai wrote: »
    If Patrick's Quay is to become a more important artery I hope that Aircoach and Citylink will be forced to find somewhere else as a terminal otherwise it will be chaos.
    There will be a small bit of coach setdown left on Patricks Quay (although moved to before you get to the new bridge). But more coach parking is being added to Alfred Street, Lower Glanmire Road and the Andersons Quay across the water to make up for the loss. This also helps spread out the different operators

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, at peak I've seen 16 buses stopped at once on Patrick's Quay. Even traffic lanes aren't respected when that happens, hard to see how footpaths/cycle-lanes will either. Albert St. may help. The new 'loop' by the train station would have been a good spot too, but I'm not sure if it's too narrow to have bus drop-off points all the way along?

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, at peak I've seen 16 buses stopped at once on Patrick's Quay. Even traffic lanes aren't respected when that happens, hard to see how footpaths/cycle-lanes will either. Albert St. may help. The new 'loop' by the train station would have been a good spot too, but I'm not sure if it's too narrow to have bus drop-off points all the way along?

There should have been an integrated coach and longer distance bus station incorporated into Kent station to create transport hub when they were designing the new entrance there. Plenty of space for all of it. The 205 could act as a shuttle to the bus station and city centre, with free or nominal fare as far as say Washington Street or something like that. Would've freed up the quays from being a chaotic mess of buses and coach operators. And it could integrate with a future Luas there also.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There should have been an integrated coach and longer distance bus station incorporated into Kent station to create transport hub when they were designing the new entrance there. Plenty of space for all of it. The 205 could act as a shuttle to the bus station and city centre, with free or nominal fare as far as say Washington Street or something like that. Would've freed up the quays from being a chaotic mess of buses and coach operators. And it could integrate with a future Luas there also.

Galway has had it's own separate bus station for private companies for at least 10 years. I'm guessing those companies are behind it. Why was this done in Galway and not anywhere else?
    There aren't even bus shelters on Patrick's quay so you're left to the mercy of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Galway has had it's own separate bus station for private companies for at least 10 years. I'm guessing those companies are behind it. Why was this done in Galway and not anywhere else?
    There aren't even bus shelters on Patrick's quay so you're left to the mercy of the weather.

Private developer built it as part of a larger project iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Stop dropping them to the front door of the school and parking on footpaths. I live in the area and i'm sick of entitled parents parking on footpaths dropping off their little dahlings.

Totally agree with you. I'm in the area as well and the place is chaos in the mornings. Im just pointing out that the new layout will make that chaos even worse!

It would be great if parents did avail of public transport but realistically we know that isnt gonna happen when its raining outside and little johnny has to get to school nice and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Totally agree with you. I'm in the area as well and the place is chaos in the mornings. Im just pointing out that the new layout will make that chaos even worse!

It would be great if parents did avail of public transport but realistically we know that isnt gonna happen when its raining outside and little johnny has to get to school nice and dry.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse and acts as a deterrent to these parents. I certainly welcome this.

I see that there's a NTA meeting in Cork next Monday; any idea what might come of this? Maybe upgrading our public transport system? There's a lot of road being turned into bus lanes in the MacCurtain st development, maybe there might be some news on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Apogee wrote: »

Firstly is this a sign the proposal is in good health and nearing approval if they're getting into discussing the redesigning the top two floors? How come many very tall buildings in other countries have these sky bars / restaurants and they operate perfectly fine, no issues with emergency exits! :confused:

Hopefully after they reduce the capacity of both floors in line with the concerns it'll get the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Firstly is this a sign the proposal is in good health and nearing approval if they're getting into discussing the redesigning the top two floors? How come many very tall buildings in other countries have these sky bars / restaurants and they operate perfectly fine, no issues with emergency exits! :confused:

Hopefully after they reduce the capacity of the both floors it'll get the nod.

Was wondering that too but who knows. Skyscrapercity seems fairly confident that this will get permission. This would be the second further information request, the planners have already responded saying they have it prepared etc so might only delay it for a few weeks. Hopefully

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I am optimistic it'll get approved. I'm also confident some clown will refer it to An Bord Pleanala to keep it stuck in the planning system for another few months.

Post on SSC says the developers have already planned for it going to An Bord Pleanala either way. Not surprising.

How does skyscrapercity know so much?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Because they are at the top of their game....

insiders?

A lot of architects and engineers post there, presumably they have a good inside track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I used the station regularly when I was living in Galway. It's a great set up. No chaotic boardings of buses and proper facilities for people to use. The number of buses using Patrick's Quay is surely not sustainable. The quays are busy enough as it is without all the bus traffic. If Galway can sustain a private bus station then Cork surely can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭boardise

That's a long storey...( or maybe a tall tale).

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Because they are at the top of their game....

Shamo please ban yourself for that joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hopefully after they reduce the capacity of both floors in line with the concerns it'll get the nod.

The ones I've been in are American-style skybars, where it's all sitting, much reduced capacity. From the sounds of things, capacity of 900 people, they were looking to have a busy Irish pub feel. Surely 300 people would be nice for a cocktail bar or something

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The ones I've been in are American-style skybars, where it's all sitting, much reduced capacity. From the sounds of things, capacity of 900 people, they were looking to have a busy Irish pub feel. Surely 300 people would be nice for a cocktail bar or something

I agree to be honest. Seems a bit excessive alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

I agree to be honest. Seems a bit excessive alright.

All depends on the square footage you have to play with. If it's a big space then no point keeping it half empty

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

900?! Foof

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

bingo9999 wrote: »
    900?! Foof

X 2 metres apart?! Some footprint...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Social distancing won't be an issue by the time this project is complete.

900 people in the rooftop bar/whatever they had planned for the 33rd/34th storeys sounds nuts though. This isn't a massively wide building by any standards either. Sounds like it's a non issue really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I used the station regularly when I was living in Galway. It's a great set up. No chaotic boardings of buses and proper facilities for people to use. The number of buses using Patrick's Quay is surely not sustainable. The quays are busy enough as it is without all the bus traffic. If Galway can sustain a private bus station then Cork surely can too.

It's the cars dropping off and picking up passengers that cause the problems on the quay, rather than the busses, IMO.

Advertisement