Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's the cars dropping off and picking up passengers that cause the problems on the quay, rather than the busses, IMO.

It's not just one thing that causes issues there. It's a multitude of factors that all lead back to it being an unsuitable location for a transport terminal. It's an open quay with zero passenger facilities. There is no facilities for drop off/pick up and this also is a busy road with alot of traffic passing and it isn't integrated with the rest of the transport services in the city. You mention that the cause of the problems is the pick up/drop off by cars which points to it being totally unsuitable location that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's not just one thing that causes issues there. It's a multitude of factors that all lead back to it being an unsuitable location for a transport terminal. It's an open quay with zero passenger facilities. There is no facilities for drop off/pick up and this also is a busy road with alot of traffic passing and it isn't integrated with the rest of the transport services in the city. You mention that the cause of the problems is the pick up/drop off by cars which points to it being totally unsuitable location that needs to be addressed.
    I've no argument with any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

I have to wonder is it time that The NTA stood in and told Bus Eireann that the bus station should be used by all operators.

kub wrote: »
    I have to wonder is it time that The NTA stood in and told Bus Eireann that the bus station should be used by all operators.

They could but they have no statutory power to do anything as the station is CIE property. I suppose the Department might be able to do something but it's likely a legal question more than anything of what could possibly be done. I'd imagine either way Bus Eireann and the unions would fight tooth and nail to prevent private operators to come in under "their" roof.

Whilst not attempting to be the prophet of doom, but I heard today that JCD have put their development for The Sextant site on hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

The perfect spot would be across the road from the bus station on the Andersons Quay site, O’Callaghan Properties has been holding it for ages. Would just need the private operators to pool resources but that's easier said than done especially with everything going on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rounders wrote: »
    The perfect spot would be across the road from the bus station on the Andersons Quay site, O’Callaghan Properties has been holding it for ages. Would just need the private operators to pool resources but that's easier said than done especially with everything going on at the moment

Was thinking the exact same thing myself - would be the perfect location

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Examiner wrote:
    A disused commercial building at the eastern end of Oliver Plunkett St, behind Connolly Hall, could be set for a new lease of life. LHC Investment Ltd has applied to Cork City Council for permission to convert the building at the corner of Lower Oliver Plunkett St and Connell St. It was previously used for motorcycle sales and as Cork Community Print Shop. The proposal is to revamp the building into a ‘guest accommodation’ facility with 19 bedrooms, numbering some 43 beds, and a café.

Planners will make their decision by the start of September.

1881959_1_articlelarge_1068124.jpg
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40016795.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Does it have the capacity though? Seems busy as-is.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It's the cars dropping off and picking up passengers that cause the problems on the quay, rather than the busses, IMO.

No doubt that doesn't help things either but it's a combination of a number of different factors. The location of the stops are terrible for passengers (outside their central location) and other road users. Bus users block the footpath. There's no queuing system due to space constraints, people just cram around the doors when they open. There's no shelter for people, no toilets, no information displays. A lot of people, especially tourists, get confused about which bus goes where and people aren't often sure about intermediate stops on routes as well so I'm sure displays would help there.

Other road users have to contend with cars pulling in all over the place to pick people up/drop people off, buses blocking a whole lane of traffic because they can't park, pedestrians darting across the road to and from the buses.

Patrick's Quay may have been fine when buses first started going from there but I think it has outgrown its current location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

No doubt that doesn't help things either but it's a combination of a number of different factors. The location of the stops are terrible for passengers (outside their central location) and other road users. Bus users block the footpath. There's no queuing system due to space constraints, people just cram around the doors when they open. There's no shelter for people, no toilets, no information displays A lot of people, especially tourists, get confused about which bus goes where and people aren't often sure about intermediate stops as well so I'm sure displays would help there.

Other road users have to contend with cars pulling in all over the place to pick people up/drop people off, buses blocking a whole lane of traffic because they can't park, pedestrians darting across the road to and from the buses.

Patrick's Quay may have been fine when buses first stated going from there but I think it has outgrown its current location.
    It's definitely outgrown it, I agree. I think, medium term, an integrated hub in Kent station may be way to go? Long term (i.e. never :) ) light rail will stop in Kent as well anyhow...

Regarding busses:

I cant see private busses being allowed in the bus or train station.

Remember a few years ago there was a private airport bus that did two routes around the city and on to the airport?
    They were prevented from having a stop inside the train station.

Install of cycle/footpath bridge at Dunkettle. It'll form part of the Glanmire/Little Island/Carrigtwohill cycle scheme.

who_me wrote: »
    Does it have the capacity though? Seems busy as-is.

Well in passing I noticed that BE coaches seem to operate from the back of the station primarily, they used to operate from the front.
    It looks to me like there is always adquate room at the front.

Regarding busses:

I cant see private busses being allowed in the bus or train station.

Remember a few years ago there was a private airport bus that did two routes around the city and on to the airport?
    They were prevented from having a stop inside the train station.

It is incredible in this day and age the power that these Unions have.

I wasn't claiming that the prevention came from the unions.
    I don't know what the motivation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'd have thought the private bus parking should have been moved over to the back of Kent Station, off Horgans / Penrose Quay. Links in with rail and local bus, space enough to allow for set-down and gets the buses off Patrick's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wasn't claiming that the prevention came from the unions.
    I don't know what the motivation was.

The unions couldn't care less if it doesn't affect their members. The CIE Group of companies might not like a bunch of competitors on it's own turf. Unless they pay rent for the privilege of sharing facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Well in passing I noticed that BE coaches seem to operate from the back of the station primarily, they used to operate from the front.
    It looks to me like there is always adquate room at the front.

Nothing to do with the Unions. Parnell Place bus station is owned by CIE not NTA

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the Unions. Parnell Place bus station is owned by CIE not NTA

Then surely CIE is just another part of the Civil service ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

why should cie or bus eireann or whatever allow their competitor to use their facilities ?

Its a business not a charity

• Advertisement

why should cie or bus eireann or whatever allow their competitor to use their facilities ?

Indeed, charge them like Victoria Coach station in London does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Then surely CIE is just another part of the Civil service ?

It’s an incorporated company in which the Minister for Transport is the sole shareholder. The same ownership model as once applied to Aer Lingus, Eircom, etc. before those companies were privatised. That’s very different to the Civil Service. Conditions of employment very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's a bit depressing to see the pictures for the apartments at the Marina Quarter considering they are at best delayed. 2021 would have been a transformational year for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is exactly it.
    And they would (as any business would) charge significant sums to frustrate their competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's a bit depressing to see the pictures for the apartments at the Marina Quarter considering they are at best delayed. 2021 would have been a transformational year for the city.

Where did you get this?

EDIT Found it over on SSC. Absolutely unreal. I'm not sure yet it will be delayed given how much run time there could be before the thing would move anyway. Hopefully that can be happening and its coming on stream for an economic bounceback spurred by program for govt housing stimulus measures.

Wow that looks unreal! So much potential in our city!!

I remember the Howard Holdings proposal for the Marina, it was very exciting back in the day and never materialised. The cynic in me from all these past plans never materialising, sees this in the same light. Fancy artist's impressions are great and all, but they are very much in the realm of believe it when you see it actually being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Where did you get this?

EDIT Found it over on SSC. Absolutely unreal. I'm not sure yet it will be delayed given how much run time there could be before the thing would move anyway. Hopefully that can be happening and its coming on stream for an economic bounceback spurred by program for govt housing stimulus measures.

This was tentatively meant to start around Q4 of this year. LATM was cancelled as a result (prep works I assume), since LATM is now scheduled to go ahead next year, it's unlikely anything will happen on site in 2021.

Was on my phone the last time so here are the full list of photos, apologies for the size but worth posting imo:

a5390795677963.5e9d5d0a3f3f9.jpg

caf80995677963.5e9d5d0a3e5a1.jpg

57e60995677963.5e9d5d0a3ed83.jpg

07297b95677963.5e9d5d0a3dfa6.jpg

Would have been crazy to see this scheme, the JCD tower and the Prism all being built at the same time :( With the London company buying up North Main Street, Glenveagh becoming active in Cork and Tower Holdings building the Prism, we would have had 6 major developers active in the city.
    I remember the Howard Holdings proposal for the Marina, it was very exciting back in the day and never materialised. The cynic in me from all these past plans never materialising, sees this in the same light. Fancy artist's impressions are great and all, but they are very much in the realm of believe it when you see it actually being built.

I would have had good confidence in this being built. They had cancelled a money making event on their site and Glenveagh are an established developer with a good record of delivering on their plans.

Have they resumed work on the Prism now?

• Advertisement

This was tentatively meant to start around Q4 of this year.

I don't think this has planning so it couldn't start in Q4. It went to ABP for a pre-planning consultation with the latest update from May being that further consideration is required. It's a long way off full planning yet.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/306166.htm

Advertisement