Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TheChizler wrote: »
    Never had an issue with it. The lanes are clearly marked, people following them is another thing.

Thats the kicker.

That roundabout is mad enough at the best of times. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pedestrian access is horrendous there too. If you walk up Glasheen road and want to go to the hospital, there is no safe way to negotiate the roads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pedestrian access is horrendous there too. If you walk up Glasheen road and want to go to the hospital, there is no safe way to negotiate the roads.

On the plus side if you do get mowed down the ambulance doesn't have far to take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There’s pedestrian crossings but it’s about 50m down the Wilton Road. It takes you up the side entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

All you have to do is walk across Roger Casement Park, go up the hill by the Credit Union and as mentioned in the last post there is a pedestrian crossing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Never had an issue with it. The lanes are clearly marked, people following them is another thing.

If you look at the roundabout in google Maps, sat view, it's clear what the problem is. Lanes stop and start without any thought.

I have had a senior transport planner in my car whilst negotiating the roundabout. He wondered who let the work experience kids loose with the paint brushes.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

blindsider wrote: »
    If you look at the roundabout in google Maps, sat view, it's clear what the problem is. Lanes stop and start without any thought.
    It's probably not the place for it but I can't agree with that. There's very little, if any, ambiguity in that roundabout. Maybe the lane for going down Glasheen Road from Sarsfield Road is a little short. I'll leave it there as it's probably a distraction in this thread.

It's probably not the place for it but I can't agree with that. There's very little, if any, ambiguity in that roundabout. Maybe the lane for going down Glasheen Road from Sarsfield Road is a little short. I'll leave it there as it's probably a distraction in this thread.

Agreed. I don’t see any issue with lane markings,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Was in UCC last week & took a few pics of progress on the new student hub under construction.

459614.jpg
    459615.jpg

Looks like the opening of the new bridge off Western Road is around a year behind schedule now!

The extension to the Bons is starting to look like the pic in the Echo article.

459875.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hah, it's funny; if you showed me the photo above without context I'd have sworn blind it's not Cork. Shows how quickly things are changing..

Incidentally, if anyone was looking for info on the proposed large Mahon Point development, you can view the details here. (The height of the main tower - the detail I was looking for - is about 87m. The Elysian is 71m (roof) or 79m (spire), for comparison).

It doesn't appear on the city/county planning sites, as developments like these now go through the Strategic Housing Development site (view applications here).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

opus wrote: »
    Was in UCC last week & took a few pics of progress on the new student hub under construction.

Student Hub? Like another Aras na Mac Leinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Indeed.

I think the money would have been better off being directed for a complete refurbishment of the old, decrepit Kane Building right behind the Student Hub Building site...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

who_me wrote: »
    Incidentally, if anyone was looking for info on the proposed large Mahon Point development, you can view the details here. (The height of the main tower - the detail I was looking for - is about 87m. The Elysian is 71m (roof) or 79m (spire), for comparison).

It doesn't appear on the city/county planning sites, as developments like these now go through the Strategic Housing Development site (view applications here).

We had the County Hall that was the tallest in Ireland

Then that was trumped by The Elysian.
    Now we have an issue https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0828/988131-dublin-airport/
    So great that this proposed Main tower is around that and hopefully above it.

kub wrote: »

Now we have an issue https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0828/988131-dublin-airport/

The proposed Custom House tower is supposedly 30m+ taller. We can't have Dublin looking down on us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wtf is a 'student hub'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It may be tall but that is one ugly development.

Wtf is a 'student hub'?

Haven't a clue & I work there :) Seems it will have a 'safe space' as part of it, make of that what you will.

If you really want to read some of the spin doctoring this is the website.

tototoe wrote: »
    It may be tall but that is one ugly development.

I like it. Look better than other low rise development out there which are ugly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I like it. Look better than other low rise development out there which are ugly enough.

Indeed. Looks much better than the rest of the car dependent sprawl scattered along the southern edge of the South Ring all the way from Mahon to Bishopstown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Student Hub?  Like another Aras na Mac Leinn?

Indeed.

I think the money would have been better off being directed for a complete refurbishment of the old, decrepit Kane Building right behind the Student Hub Building site...
    I heard that is being refurbished too, could be a few years off though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

kub wrote: »

Since it's not storied it won't count as the tallest. Capital Dock will overtake the Elysian by the end of the year though. The Mahon tower would overtake Capital Dock, should it be approved...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Anyone know what the noise levels off the link road are for people living in the apartments already on Jacobs Island such as the two closest the road ?

Anyone know what the noise levels off the link road are for people living in the apartments already on Jacobs Island such as the two closest the road ?

The link road is nowhere near Jacobs Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Viewed an apartment that was close to the road and it was fairly noisy on the balcony but the noise insulation of the apartments seemed quite good tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The link road is nowhere near Jacobs Island?
    South Ring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I've stayed in many a cheap motorway-side tower hotel in Europe without any noise issues. You make a certain level of sound-proofing a condition of planning and (hopefully) inspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

About 7 or 8 years ago buddies were renting the penthouse in the Herons on the road side and on the balcony it was loud enough but once you were inside, you couldnt really make it out TBH.

Advertisement