Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Have wondered the same thing alright. Not aware of any plans but would be a no brainier when developing the south docks to develop the river frontage as a public amenity (rather than a 3 lane road as most of the quays near city centre are). There is ample room to set buildings well back from the river to allow such a plan.

On a related note, we're moving to Cork soon...are there any public swimming areas like in Dublin ? Seapoint, 40 foot etc? I know that there used to b'é bathing areas in Lee Fields for example, but are there any plans to develop new ones for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

On a related note, we're moving to Cork soon...are there any public swimming areas like in Dublin ? Seapoint, 40 foot etc? I know that there used to b'é bathing areas in Lee Fields for example, but are there any plans to develop new ones for the future?

Any of the regular outdoor swimmers I know go outside the harbour. Sandycove Island and Myrtleville seem to be the most popular spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

There is one in Carrignavar about 15 minutes north of the city centre https://www.facebook.com/Carraig-Na-Bhfear-Outdoor-Swimming-Pool-1142303819244898/

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Talking about the connectivity of the Marquee development to town.

It would be great if the Marine could be extended directly from Shandon boat club into the city center by Kennedy and Albert quays, providing a direct cycle and walking route along the Lee.

There seems to be plenty space at the back of the industrial estate and the ESB power station.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts on this or info as to pre-existing plans or attempts I am unaware of?

Hugely agree, I have wondered why the light rail plan diverts down centre park road when it could run along the waterfront with a walk and bike trail. Its just a bit of fencing at the ESB site and the need to clear up parking in the commercial park a bit which is easily done. Waiting to see whats in the North and South Docks LAP which was due months and months ago, hardly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Hugely agree, I have wondered why the light rail plan diverts down centre park road when it could run along the waterfront with a walk and bike trail. Its just a bit of fencing at the ESB site and the need to clear up parking in the commercial park a bit which is easily done. Waiting to see whats in the North and South Docks LAP which was due months and months ago, hardly optimistic.

They want as much density as possible for the light rail, so they want buildings on both sides of it.
    Agreed with the walk/bike trail being by the waterside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭snotboogie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter about some info coming out of the NTA briefing to the council on Monday. It seems the development of the Luas is contingent on certain population levels being reached and could take up to 20 years. And that funding is very uncertain.

He doesn't provide any detail in that tweet. What is the "certain population figure"? I would hope that if there isn't the density for viability there will be a BRT route instead, with a view to upgrading in 20 years or so. At least that would encourage the development needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roreos

While light rail needs density, it think this insufficient density in cork arguement is a red herring for the most part to kick the can down the road. If you look at the green line in Dublin it runs through suburban semi d Dublin, Cowper can hardly be described as Kowloon. The rough guide of the Cork route takes it from one of its biggest towns, past it's two higher education institutions, it's largest hospital, the city centre and out to its largest shopping centre. Granted there's not much between town and BlackRock but Cherrywood is only becoming a reality now years after the Luas stop was built there. The fact it doesn't look like it will follow the old line over to rochestown is laughable as well. Imagine all the cars taken off the link and through Douglas if you had a park and ride by hartys quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

"build it and they will come" comes to mind.

This is just delay tactics that no doubt City Hall et Al will use to their advantage.

2040: "sorry lads, density still isn't great, no Luas"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"build it and they will come" comes to mind.

This is just delay tactics that no doubt City Hall et Al will use to their advantage.

2040: "sorry lads, density still isn't great, no Luas"

Indeed but it seems very clear that there is no appetite for a "build it and they will come" approach and there will be no light rail without intense development and densification along the route corridor, the key to which is the development of higher density residential areas in the Docklands and in particular the South Docklands. The council need to do everything to get this moving fast because if they sit on their hands it'll remain a post industrial wasteland and no light rail will be built.

Indeed but it seems very clear that there is no appetite for a "build it and they will come" approach and there will be no light rail without intense development and densification among the route corridor, the key to which is the development of higher density residential areas in the Docklands and in particular the South Docklands. The council need to do everything to get this moving fast because if they sit on their hands it'll remain a post industrial wasteland and no light rail will be built.

For a long time Spencer Dock to the point was a ghost town with little to nothing in between and little even at the point itself (an empty shopping centre and vacant office). I'm not saying the North Dublin docks wouldn't have seen the development they've had in recent years without a Luas but having the infrastructure in place before development certainly helped

• Advertisement

roreos wrote: »
    For a long time Spencer Dock to the point was a ghost town with little to nothing in between and little even at the point itself (an empty shopping centre and vacant office). I'm not saying the North Dublin docks wouldn't have seen the development they've had in recent years without a Luas but having the infrastructure in place before development certainly helped

Not disagreeing but the message is clear, increase density and development first. I mean you couldn't justify a light rail now in the South Docklands. There's nothing there, it's like a post-apocalyptic industrial wasteland. I personally think the infrastructure should go in first or at least side by side with the initial development but realistically no government is going to hand out €1bn for a Luas without seeing successful and intense development down there first. It just won't happen no matter how much we would like it to.

There are two choices: do nothing and hope that the goodies will come anyway (unlikely), or plough ahead and point to the start of successful regeneration and need for infrastructure to support it further.

Not disagreeing but the message is clear, increase density and development first. I mean you couldn't justify a light rail now in the South Docklands. There's nothing there, it's like a post-apocalyptic industrial wasteland. I personally think the infrastructure should go in first or at least side by side with the initial development but realistically no government is going to hand out €1bn for a Luas without seeing successful and intense development down there first. It just won't happen no matter how much we would like it to.

There are two choices: do nothing and hope that the goodies will come anyway (unlikely), or plough ahead and point to the start of successful regeneration and need for infrastructure to support it further.

I suppose my point is that the message is inconsistent with precedence in Dublin. Cherrywood had its roads widened, new junctions and cycle lanes and not to mention the Luas before they started building the new town centre. In cork however there seems to be a train of thought in government that they must create an infrastructural deficit problem and then fix it, like building a house and putting the foundation in after.

roreos wrote: »
    I suppose my point is that the message is inconsistent with precedence in Dublin. Cherrywood had its roads widened, new junctions and cycle lanes and not to mention the Luas before they started building the new town centre. In cork however there seems to be a train of thought in government that they must create an infrastructural deficit problem and then fix it, like building a house and putting the foundation in after.

Well the council can control a lot of the infrastructure down there including roads, bus lanes and cycling facilities. In fairness they do have immediate plans to upgrade the local roads there which is a positive. The extension to Cherrywood was approved at the height of the economic and building bubble in 2005/2006 with construction starting in 2007. It was believed at the time without doubt that Cherrywood would be built imminently. That didn't materialise and it is only really happening now. Different times and there is no way a government is going to chuck a billion euro at an infrastructure project today without seeing the development in place first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its becoming more apparent now that the covid outbreak is going to cause a few big projects to stall for months possibly years. Or be abandoned completely. So frustrating. Just when things were really moving along. :(

Its becoming more apparent now that the covid outbreak is going to cause a few big projects to stall for months possibly years. Or be abandoned completely. So frustrating. Just when things were really moving along. :(

The city badly needs large scale residential development (not more student apartments) in the city centre above anything else. There was a post here that the sextant site is on hold and it looks like the Marina Quarter is on hold for now also. And the apartments at Horgan's Quay look dead in the water too. This is unfortunate and does nothing to increase residential density in the city and will mean the workers in the shiny new offices will have to find housing elsewhere outside the city - with most new housing that is happening being in the suburbs. This in turn creates more traffic woes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Hopefully the Prism goes ahead although somebody said its on hold. I was looking forward to seeing that go up.

Hopefully the Prism goes ahead although somebody said its on hold. I was looking forward to seeing that go up.

Doesn't seem to be much happening there but hopefully it proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The city badly needs large scale residential development (not more student apartments) in the city centre above anything else. There was a post here that the sextant site is on hold and it looks like the Marina Quarter is on hold for now also. And the apartments at Horgan's Quay look dead in the water too. This is unfortunate and does nothing to increase residential density in the city and will mean the workers in the shiny new offices will have to find housing elsewhere outside the city - with most new housing that is happening being in the suburbs. This in turn creates more traffic woes etc.

Are shiny new offices even needed anymore?

Are shiny new offices even needed anymore?

Well that's another thing. Can't see too many new offices being built until the economic outlook becomes clearer and the longer term impact of WFH is known.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The 92-96 North Main Street student development (279 student bedspaces) has been filed with An Bord Pleanala

SHD website: https://nmsstudent.ie/

ABP case: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307605.htm

• Advertisement

I wonder about these councillors at times, I really do. Are they living in the real world at all? Seamus McGrath reckons the southside has been ignored by CMATS even though Douglas will be a BusConnects hub. Basically they all want a Luas line to their front door.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Light-rail-plan-for-Cork-comes-under-fire-for-excluding-key-commuter-areas-e13e0868-09b1-4fca-a1e8-a6be0fdeb6b1-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder about these councillors at times, I really do. Are they living in the real world at all? Seamus McGrath reckons the southside has been ignored by CMATS even though Douglas will be a BusConnects hub. Basically they all want a Luas line to their front door.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Light-rail-plan-for-Cork-comes-under-fire-for-excluding-key-commuter-areas-e13e0868-09b1-4fca-a1e8-a6be0fdeb6b1-ds

I am not sure what business it is of his anyway as he is not a city councillor. He would be better off concentrating on the good people down in the Carrigaline direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Well that's another thing. Can't see too many new offices being built until the economic outlook becomes clearer and the longer term impact of WFH is known.

Employers in the tech sector especially are going to weigh any minor loss in productivity against the huge savings in rent, insurance, cleaning, security, telecoms, power, office furniture, etc. I reckon my own employer could get away with renting a third of the office space we currently occupy.

And productivity loss is not a given. I’ve heard rumours of data suggesting that the opposite might actually be the case. I myself certainly feel I’m more productive WFH.

A permanent shift to WFH would do wonders for our carbon footprint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

With all the new student accommodation someone should really consider building another college.

Were most students in the past homeless or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

With all the new student accommodation someone should really consider building another college.

Living in regular houses ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Markcheese wrote: »
    Living in regular houses ...

A far more attractive prospect to me than living in a modern looking single serving overpriced isolated prison cell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

how dare you.

These kids are the future politicians, bankers, etc that will make an impact on our lives or something

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

From DylanG on SSC:
    Permission...for the demolition of an existing garage premises and the construction of 45 no. apartments (4 no. 3 bed, 29 no. 2 bed and 12 no. 1 bed) in one no. five storey building and one no. six storey building, and associated external works.

For the former Dennehy's Garage on Model Farm Road

Tender notice for route selection for the Southern Distributor Road

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/170919/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

That's BusConnects, Light Rail, NDR and SDR now in early stages of planning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A far more attractive prospect to me than living in a modern looking single serving overpriced isolated prison cell.

Or "digs"...

Advertisement