Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Or "digs"...

A mighty fine idea, win win situations for all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

how dare you.

These kids are the future politicians, bankers, etc that will make an impact on our lives or something

God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

A far more attractive prospect to me than living in a modern looking single serving overpriced isolated prison cell.

Students shouldn't be occupying houses where people who work in the city should be living full-time instead. A vast amount of the houses in the city centre & surrounding area are occupied by students who then get replaced by more students the next year and so on, pushing everyone else out to the suburbs or commuter towns like Carrigaline or Ballincollig etc, creating more traffic and other such problems. And then there's the astronomical rent they're being charged by the landlords who get away with it because the students have no other choice.

These new student apartments are all badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Students shouldn't be occupying houses where people who work in the city should be living full-time instead. A vast amount of the houses in the city centre & surrounding area are occupied by students who then get replaced by more students the next year and so on, pushing everyone else out to the suburbs or commuter towns like Carrigaline or Ballincollig etc, creating more traffic and other such problems. And then there's the astronomical rent they're being charged by the landlords who get away with it because the students have no other choice.

These new student apartments are all badly needed.

There's no certainty or guarantee that these houses will suddenly become available once the student apartments are all built. A lot of students enjoy the convenience of living right next door to the college up around College Road and surrounding streets. Much of the new student apartments are further away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's no certainty or guarantee that these houses will suddenly become available once the student apartments are all built. A lot of students enjoy the convenience of living right next door to the college up around College Road and surrounding streets. Much of the new student apartments are further away.

There’s also a question of cost. Which is very important here. You can get a 2 bedroom apartment in the Elysian for less than the cost of 2 people renting in the new Brewery Quarter apartments. The Brewery Quarter development is a bit of a walk from UCC too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

marno21 wrote: »
    There’s also a question of cost. Which is very important here. You can get a 2 bedroom apartment in the Elysian for less than the cost of 2 people renting in the new Brewery Quarter apartments. The Brewery Quarter development is a bit of a walk from UCC too.

The mind boggles how much are the flats in the Brewery Quarter? :eek:

This is my favourite "development" site in Cork located on a corner on Douglas St :)

520889.jpg

Yes it is as small as it looks in the pic! Yours for a mere €50k!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Has anybody viewed the houses in Reldare on the Model Farm Road? Are the gardens tiny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roreos

They're steep alright, having said that they do include a lot more than just a room to sleep in (bills, TV , internet, brand new gear etc). Some of the gaffs around college are barely habitable. I'd be less worried about the location of brewery quarter given where the new business school is and it's not that far of a walk from main campus. I wouldn't have minded the 2 min commute from secret garden back in the day either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roreos wrote: »
    They're steep alright, having said that they do include a lot more than just a room to sleep in (bills, TV , internet, brand new gear etc). Some of the gaffs around college are barely habitable. I'd be less worried about the location of brewery quarter given where the new business school is and it's not that far of a walk from main campus. I wouldn't have minded the 2 min commute from secret garden back in the day either

Agreed, but the business school is some bit away yet too.

The issue being is that the habitability of the houses isn't the issue, it's the budget available. For many, those houses are all they can afford and the cost is the bottom line.

Anyway, Brewery Quarter is built so not one for debate really. It's the Coca Cola/Square Deal/Bandon Road/Kelleher's Tyres you'd have to question. Saying that, it's only yesterday the North Main Street development went in for planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

opus wrote: »

Quite bizaare. What exactly could you build on that? Other than park a mobile cafe bar or something on it.

:confused:

Edit: I just looked at the Daft ad. What a joke. Micro house. And yet it will get snapped up straight away or rented for a hefty sum. As you do in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Quite bizaare. What exactly could you build on that? Other than park a mobile cafe bar or something on it.

:confused:

Edit: I just looked at the Daft ad. What a joke. Micro house. And yet it will get snapped up straight away or rented for a hefty sum. As you do in these times.

I don't know, I think you could do something usable if you could go to three stories (utility/storage & bathroom on ground floor, living room / kitchen on middle, bedroom top floor) Having to squeeze in the stairs is possibly the biggest problem, and it'd be a pain of a build.

Or if you could drop in something prefabricated (like the Big Man Tiny Homes builds), you could get a site & home for not much over 100K, in a central location.

Disclaimer: I am playing devil's advocate here. That site is tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

opus wrote: »
    520889.jpg

And that’s just for the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

who_me wrote: »
    I don't know, I think you could do something usable if you could go to three stories (utility/storage & bathroom on ground floor, living room / kitchen on middle, bedroom top floor) Having to squeeze in the stairs is possibly the biggest problem, and it'd be a pain of a build.

Or if you could drop in something prefabricated (like the Big Man Tiny Homes builds), you could get a site & home for not much over 100K, in a central location.

Disclaimer: I am playing devil's advocate here. That site is tiny.

Have a look at the ad, there's planning permission for basically a one bed 50sqm apartment split over 2 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Consultants for development of the Cork Luas to be appointed in next couple of weeks

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Have a look at the ad, there's planning permission for basically a one bed 50sqm apartment split over 2 levels.

I had a look at those plans, bedroom on ground floor with the bed tight by the window on the corner. Trying to sleep in that spot on a busy Fri/Sat night would be challenging I'd imagine! A good set of earplugs would be vital & even then it would be noisy.

A friend of mine lives up Nicholas Hill close to that spot & their only complaint about the area is the number of noisy drunk people wandering past at various time of the night at w/ends & they sleep on the top floor as well so good bit away from street level.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

It looks like they are planning a new cycle route along the N8 in Tivoli according to the latest mail from the Dunkettle progress update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    It looks like they are planning a new cycle route along the N8 in Tivoli according to the latest mail from the Dunkettle progress update.

Yeah, I saw that too.

11.jpg

I wonder will it be a bit of paint on the road like what was done during the recent roadworks from Silversprings inbound?:pac: Interesting that they're referring to it as a 'cycle route' whereas the others are called 'cycle way'. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but why would they refer to them by two names if they are the same type of infrastructure?

Yeah, I saw that too.

11.jpg

I wonder will it be a bit of paint on the road like what was done during the recent roadworks from Silversprings inbound?:pac: Interesting that they're referring to it as a 'cycle route' whereas the others are called 'cycle way'. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but why would they refer to them by two names if they are the same type of infrastructure?

I hope it's more, the infrastructure around Silversprings is shocking, it really wouldn't encourage many people to take up cycling. Cork Council seem to be building high quality infrastructure around Dunkettle, lets hope their counterparts in the city follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I hope it's more, the infrastructure around Silversprings is shocking, it really wouldn't encourage many people to take up cycling. Cork Council seem to be building high quality infrastructure around Dunkettle, lets hope their counterparts in the city follow suit.

Isn't Dunkettle in the city and therefore their counterparts are themselves?

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Isn't Dunkettle in the city and therefore their counterparts are themselves?

I thought it was Cork County Council that were doing the Dunkettle works but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Much of the Dunkettle Interchange works area is in the city since the boundary change. The M8 is the eastern boundary north of the interchange, however some of the eastern end of the interchange is now city.

https://corkcity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=570fc5da59ca4b60b6e8fede282881bf

Daft, but unsurprising, that Cloghroe is in the city but not Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Hopefully the attached will help explain the Dunkettle scheme.

The N8 scheme hasn't been published anywhere yet but the Tivoli "death strip of paint" scheme wasn't done as part 8 but rather a direct collaboration between Council and TII, with no external input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Dunkettle Cycle scheme was a Co Co Part 8 job.

Might have passed over to the city for implementation but design was the Co Co roads office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Daft, but unsurprising, that Cloghroe is in the city but not Little Island.

That was a complete fudge so that the County Council wouldn’t lose the high commercial rates they collect in Little Island. Apparently Little Island alone represents a significant chunk of their total income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭blindsider

Bandon Rd Student Apartment development has Portakabins on site - presume this means there is some activity.....

They've a new application in to increase the number of rooms but regardless of the outcome of that they can drive on with the foundation & ground floors anyway would be my assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Loftus have a sign up on the square deal site alot of demolition going on behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Cork to be reimagined as haven for cyclists and pedestrians under new plan (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-to-be-reimagined-as-haven-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians-under-new-plan-1.4316067
    😀👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Looking forward to that, hopefully will be some decent changes and not just relabelling things already done and planned as a new plan

Advertisement