Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

bingo9999 wrote: »
    just relabelling things already done and planned as a new plan

Isn't this what they do best?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats what Im worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Thats what Im worried about

Ah well. Even it it meant the existing pieces being repaired, and all those new plans being developed as opposed to sitting on a shelve it'll be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

ofcork wrote: »
    Loftus have a sign up on the square deal site alot of demolition going on behind.

It kicked off at the end of June, I put a pic here as work close by there so getting a good view of progress.

The Kino development has gotten the go-ahead for (yet more) student apartments. Perhaps there might be enough of them in the pipeline now?

Redevelopment of Cork's Kino arts venue is granted planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

City turning into one big student flophouse.

Were students homeless before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

City turning into one big student flophouse.

Were students homeless before?

Students were taking up houses, which caused a housing crisis for non-students. This frees up houses for families

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Students were taking up houses, which caused a housing crisis for non-students. This frees up houses for families

Really, so the kids that were renting digs will be replaced by a family of non student looking for digs ?

I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No it doesn't. There is zero evidence that houses are being freed up

Looking forward to that, hopefully will be some decent changes and not just relabelling things already done and planned as a new plan

Hallelujah, at last:
    - Fitting of 4 kilometres of safety bollards on strategic parts of the most popular cycle lanes in the city including Alfred Street, South Main Street, Washington Street, Mahon Link, Western Road, Rossa Avenue and in Ballincollig;

- 4.1 kilometres of new cycle lanes at Centre Park Road and Monahan Road, Terence MacSwiney Quay, Horgans Quay and Victoria Road and South Mall;

The announcement of "new" cycle lanes includes ones we already know about: South Mall, Horgan's Quay, Victoria Road and South Docklands.

Really, so the kids that were renting digs will be replaced by a family of non student looking for digs ?

I think not
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. There is zero evidence that houses are being freed up
    The house my brother spent last year in was sold last month and he's been told the new tenants are converting it to a family home. So yes, it does happen and there's your evidence
    https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/cork-city/springside-highfield-avenue-cork-city-cork-2404503/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

We had a house by us in Turners Cross that had 4 students in it the last few years which has recently been bought by a lovely family with a young kid. The student were grand by the way, but it only takes one group of messers to ruin what is a very quiet old area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Good to hear they are finally segregating the bike lanes / "car parks". Let's just hope they do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't make this tonight, will it be recorded and potentially shared?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

To be fair theyre better catered for in the city rather than streaming through neighbourhoods on weekday nights making noise and knocking over bins. Gardai bouncers etc. better focussed there to keep things running smoothly, and students do keep the lights on in many bars and places during the week.

I do agree though that the ratio of planned student to general apartments is awful, cant understand it is it regulations that make normal apartments prohibitive to build and recover in market rents? If thats the case there should be a student-accom-for-adults scheme brought in. Theres plenty of young professionals in my office house sharing in the burbs who Im sure would rather a small private space of their own in the city centre. At least I would have at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roreos

I do agree though that the ratio of planned student to general apartments is awful, cant understand it is it regulations that make normal apartments prohibitive to build and recover in market rents? If thats the case there should be a student-accom-for-adults scheme brought in. Theres plenty of young professionals in my office house sharing in the burbs who Im sure would rather a small private space of their own in the city centre. At least I would have at that stage

The potential return on student accommodation is much higher than your traditional rental scheme or build to sell. Amnis house on Western road is charging €238 a week for a room, assuming on average 4 rooms to an apartment, noting you can have 6/8 rooms per apartment, that's about €36k per apartment over a 38 week period with the potential for summer letting on top of that. You would need to let an apartment at c.€3k pm to match that and demand at that level in cork doesn't appear to be there at the scale required to justify opting for apartments over student accommodation from a private developers viewpoint. Big caveat however in whether the student accommodation model as was has a place in a covid world.

The student accommodation for adults model goes by the name co-living and hasn't exactly been met with great fanfare for a number of reasons

The house my brother spent last year in was sold last month and he's been told the new tenants are converting it to a family home. So yes, it does happen and there's your evidence
    https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/cork-city/springside-highfield-avenue-cork-city-cork-2404503/

Wow...one house you base your argument on.

I know over a dozen houses in college road cork, where students stayed, with the owner, and they were still looking for lodgers.

When no lodgers are forthcoming, them owners are not just going to sell up.

I dont think a family would move in to digs, it simply is not going to happen.

roreos wrote: »
    The potential return on student accommodation is much higher than your traditional rental scheme or build to sell. Amnis house on Western road is charging €238 a week for a room, assuming on average 4 rooms to an apartment, noting you can have 6/8 rooms per apartment, that's about €36k per apartment over a 38 week period with the potential for summer letting on top of that. You would need to let an apartment at c.€3k pm to match that and demand at that level in cork doesn't appear to be there at the scale required to justify opting for apartments over student accommodation from a private developers viewpoint. Big caveat however in whether the student accommodation model as was has a place in a covid world.

The student accommodation for adults model goes by the name co-living and hasn't exactly been met with great fanfare for a number of reasons

At those prices, what kind of students can afford that??
    It's clear to see that the house shares won't be going away.

At those prices, what kind of students can afford that??
    It's clear to see that the house shares won't be going away.

Open to correction but I believe Amnis House sold out or was close to it last year when it became available and that was with the student Union declining to promote it. Not saying all other venues would as well and it probably is the best location of the lot, but there was a market for it. It remains to be seen if that market exists anymore

House-shares up around UCC are going nowhere. They're much closer to the campus than most of the new student accommodation and they are also much cheaper in general. I don't buy this notion that they'll all become family homes.

roreos wrote: »
    Open to correction but I believe Amnis House sold out or was close to it last year when it became available and that was with the student Union declining to promote it. Not saying all other venues would as well and it probably is the best location of the lot, but there was a market for it. It remains to be seen if that market exists anymore

Children of Arab oil sheiks maybe.

The idea that it'll free up homes for families is the sort of well-meaning thinking not backed up by figures apart from an astounding total of one single house someone knows of. Ah sure isn't it great these developers are thinking of house hunting families after all?! Bless their cotton socks.

• Advertisement

Wow...one house you base your argument on.

I know over a dozen houses in college road cork, where students stayed, with the owner, and they were still looking for lodgers.

When no lodgers are forthcoming, them owners are not just going to sell up.

Digs is a type of accomodation (last popular in the 90's FWIW), nobody's saying a family is going to move into "digs". What we're saying is that the college students get purpose built student accomodations, families get purpose built houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Student numbers are expected to increase by 20% in the next decade.

The post crash baby boom that required all those extra primary school places to be built will start to reach the third level institutes around the middle of this decade.

Add to that the increasing amount of full-fee paying foreign students Universities are recruiting.

5000 extra student beds are required to satisfy this projected increase. They can't all live on college road!

The current schemes which have planning only cover around 2600 of this requirement. We need to keep building these schemes otherwise we will face a severe shortage of accommodation by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

http://www.pleanala.ie/shd/applications/CurrentApplications/Current%20Applications24Jul.pdf

There are currently over 1300 student bed spaces in for planning in strategic housing developments in Cork city. And there are plenty other student schemes in development/planning that aren’t on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Even when I went to college in the 90s very few students were opting for digs. My wife did all right for the very first term but never subsequently. And only the wealthy kids stayed in the on-campus accommodation which was in very short supply back then. So most students back then shared a house with friends or sometimes (esp. in first year) with people who were initially complete strangers. In any house I lived, the other houses around were occupied by a mix of students and families, frequently but not always lower income families. Depending on the estate and going rent, the ratio of students to non-students varied.

So in my experience at least, students and families frequently do compete for the same housing stock.

Digs is a type of accomodation (last popular in the 90's FWIW), nobody's saying a family is going to move into "digs". What we're saying is that the college students get purpose built student accomodations, families get purpose built houses.

Yes the students are getting numerous developments all over the city.

where are purpose built homes families?

Families on the waiting list, couples looking for starter homes etc are not getting the same treatment as the students, and outnumber the students, yet its the students getting the preferential treatment.

Families on the waiting list, couples looking for starter homes etc are not getting the same treatment as the students, and outnumber the students, yet its the students getting the preferential treatment.

It's not that it's special treatment, the returns are just higher. It's not like the government is building units of social student accommodation rather than affordable housing, this is private investment. If the returns for building apartments were higher that's where the capital investment would be directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Yes the students are getting numerous developments all over the city.

where are purpose built homes families?

I think the issue here is really with the fact that the we have relied on developer/ permissions lead approach to planning and that's why we are where we are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The IDA have tendered for the development of an access road to their property at Ballyadam, Co. Cork

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/171262/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

This is presumably the Amgen site. Hopefully something afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

The long derelict house at the bottom of Sundays Well road is starting to look well, glad they kept the colour similar to before.

521663.jpg

The windows are starting to go into the student apartment block on the Mardyke but can't see if being ready by the start of the next term though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

https://www.yaycork.ie/cork-city-council-has-confirmed-the-regeneration-of-morrisons-island-will-begin-in-the-new-year/

I think the video makes it look pretty nice tbh....not sure why so many people are so against this.

Advertisement