Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

looks nice, until the homeless, junkies, beggars and scum that occupy places like bishop lucy park, find their way there.

All well and good making the place nice, the problem is keeping it nice, and keeping that certain element away from there.
    Even winthrop street is almost a no go area at night.

I rather the money be spent on more cops on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

looks nice, until the homeless, junkies, beggars and scum that occupy places like bishop lucy park, find their way there.

All well and good making the place nice, the problem is keeping it nice, and keeping that certain element away from there.
    Even winthrop street is almost a no go area at night.

I rather the money be spent on more cops on the street.

Well, yes, there is that I suppose...especially since that area by South Mall is already a gathering point for homeless people and junkies.

I meant though that people were complaining about the flood defence mechanism they council had decided on....don't think it looks too bad from the video anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Based on what the OPW have done to Bandon given the choice I would never let them near a river again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

TheChizler wrote: »
    Based on what the OPW have done to Bandon given the choice I would never let them near a river again.

Based on the cack-handed “restoration” work they’ve done on countless historic structures over the years, I wouldn’t let them near anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

TheChizler wrote: »

We will all be thanking the OPW the next time a whale needs to go up the river in Bandon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 roreos

leahyl wrote: »
    https://www.yaycork.ie/cork-city-council-has-confirmed-the-regeneration-of-morrisons-island-will-begin-in-the-new-year/

I think the video makes it look pretty nice tbh....not sure why so many people are so against this.

Some major marketing guff in that video. While a big improvement on what's there, I think this is a major opportunity missed. Going by the video it doesn't look like there will be sufficient space for outdoor seating at scale for all the the new cafes and restaurants the video mentions. Looking at the save cork city proposals in isolation from their alternative flood defence proposals, they were of much higher design quality. Given its South facing aspect the whole quay is crying out to be pedestrianised and turned into a Riverside amenity rather than this halfway house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

roreos wrote: »
    the whole quay is crying out to be pedestrianised and turned into a Riverside amenity rather than this halfway house.

It is of course. But anything that reduces availability of parking in the city centre has the traders whingeing to the councillors.

Huge number of observations (190 online alone) gone into the part 8 development at Hawke's Road in Bishopstown. 67 units with a tiny green space and 22 car park spaces. Basically just blocks of flats.

I used to live directly across the road from the proposed entrance in Tiffany Downs up to two years ago and I have to say that the proposed development without significant upgrades to the road network and the layout of junctions is very ill advised. I was walking a baby in a buggy across that junction one day and was nearly hit by a car that had broken the lights coming from Hawke's Road heading for the link.

The green space will inevitably be developed, but if it goes ahead in its current guise I'd be very surprised.

https://consult.corkcity.ie/ga/consultation/part-8-hawkes-road-cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    Cork City Council are set to redevelop the former Boland Mills site on the Old Mallow Road. Part 8 details have gone on public display for the development which will consist of 57 housing units, both houses and apartments on an approximately 1.68 hectare site. Of those, 12 will be two-bedroom two-storey terraced houses and 25 will be three-bedroom two-storey terraced houses. There are also four one-bedroom apartments and 16 two-bedroom apartments proposed as part of three-storey duplex units included in the proposal.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Council-set-to-develop-housing-units-at-former-Boland-Mills-site-0989212a-0d69-499b-90e0-a0ca11c20efa-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

RINO87 wrote: »
    Where on the old mallow road is this? Cant find anything on google

Up opposite the West Link business park, just before the Kilnap viaduct

522189.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^^Thanks, thats my cycle route into town, had seen no evidence of a mill, was wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

roreos wrote: »
    Some major marketing guff in that video. While a big improvement on what's there, I think this is a major opportunity missed. Going by the video it doesn't look like there will be sufficient space for outdoor seating at scale for all the the new cafes and restaurants the video mentions. Looking at the save cork city proposals in isolation from their alternative flood defence proposals, they were of much higher design quality. Given its South facing aspect the whole quay is crying out to be pedestrianised and turned into a Riverside amenity rather than this halfway house.

They'll do phase 1 on Morrison's island ... It'll come in 2 or 3 times over budget , ( and probably be pretty good ) then they'll extrapolate that out for the whole city and realize just how many billions it'll actually cost , while not really protecting the city under certain circumstances ...

Lots of the quay walls do need restoration work any way ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

That site was owned by Frank Boland for many years. He used to sell lorries/trucks and parts. Never heard it described as Bolands Mills.
    There is a doggie daycare place called the bark park there for the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

thejuggler wrote: »
    That site was owned by Frank Boland for many years. He used to sell lorries/trucks and parts. Never heard it described as Bolands Mills.
    There is a doggie daycare place called the bark park there for the last few years.

wasn't there a spot there for seized cars by those who towed away cars,

Remember a friend had her car towed (wrongly) and it was costing a couple of hundred quid a week the thieves were charging for "storage"...took years for her to be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

wasn't there a spot there for seized cars by those who towed away cars,

Remember a friend had her car towed (wrongly) and it was costing a couple of hundred quid a week the thieves were charging for "storage"...took years for her to be reimbursed.

That’s true forgot there was a pound on that site for towed cars.
    It used to be a ‘graveyard’ for scrapped lorries and buses too.
    I think there was a business selling garden sheds and fencing there at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

The tow away compound moved down by cross refrigeration when apcoa were doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

leahyl wrote: »
    https://www.yaycork.ie/cork-city-council-has-confirmed-the-regeneration-of-morrisons-island-will-begin-in-the-new-year/

I think the video makes it look pretty nice tbh....not sure why so many people are so against this.

Have they ever heard of trees?

Disappointed to see on street parking being retained also. The quays are an asset and the space is valuable - - should be a pocket park all along the quays IMO. This looks very bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Disappointed to see on street parking being retained also. The quays are an asset and the space is valuable - - should be a pocket park all along the quays IMO. This looks very bare.

Fairly bleak looking for sure, certainly not something that would make it a destination for anyone.

Millerd St looks like it might be ready to reopen any day now as flat block looks to be almost finished.

522292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The council seem to be on a mission to drive the green maintenance expenditure to zero, have you seen all the tree removal done in Douglas Park and the entrance to the mangala? Large reduction in green space in the plans for Bishop Lucey Park. I'm worried about the plans for the cycle lanes on South Mall and Centre Park Road, wouldn't be surprised if one morning half the trees were gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If there were trees, the council wouldn't bother their arses maintaining them.

If there were trees, the council wouldn't bother their arses maintaining them.

True that. More interested in pulling up the few we do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

opus wrote: »
    The Kino development has gotten the go-ahead for (yet more) student apartments. Perhaps there might be enough of them in the pipeline now?

Redevelopment of Cork's Kino arts venue is granted planning permission

522333.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

cantalach wrote: »
    It is of course. But anything that reduces availability of parking in the city centre has the traders whingeing to the councillors.

Given that the plans envisage the majority of car parking provision being removed anyway, I can’t understand why they don’t just go the whole way and remove car spaces entirely and devote the extra space to trees/landscaping/seating etc. It really could be a great recreation area given riverside location and the south facing aspect.

Given that the plans envisage the majority of car parking provision being removed anyway, I can’t understand why they don’t just go the whole way and remove car spaces entirely and devote the extra space to trees/landscaping/seating etc. It really could be a great recreation area given riverside location and the south facing aspect.

Exactly.
    Just do it, people will get used to it.

Maybe in 10 years time, they'll finally decide to do it, at a massive cost again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Anyone know anything about this. The main tower looks great and is about 24 storey.

https://twitter.com/3ddesignbureau/status/1291812764428754945?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Anyone know anything about this. The main tower looks great and is about 24 storey.

https://twitter.com/3ddesignbureau/status/1291812764428754945?s=21

Looks similar to the old plans for the atlantic quarter, though not as good. This appears to be across the road on the old tedcastles site. Up to 2000 apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Looks similar to the old plans for the atlantic quarter, though not as good. This appears to be across the road on the old tedcastles site. Up to 2000 apartments.

Yes it looks like the Tedcastle site that was purchased by the Comer group. Hopefully they will be able to drive on with it with fast track planning or whatever given that the Howard Holdings planning just lapsed in 2019 for a 10, 20 and 27 storey towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the brother of one of the sullivans behind the docklands tower in court in the us on fraud charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ofcork wrote: »
    I see the brother of one of the sullivans behind the docklands tower in court in the us on fraud charges.

Oh sheet

Advertisement