Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

ofcork wrote: »
    I see the brother of one of the sullivans behind the docklands tower in court in the us on fraud charges.

Oh sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40030154.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Cork City Council have used awful bare concrete outside the courthouse to replace the footpath after damage from illegally parked vehicles.

6k in costs....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

View from the top(floor) Penrose

522623.jpg

522624.jpg

522625.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40030154.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Cork City Council have used awful bare concrete outside the courthouse to replace the footpath after damage from illegally parked vehicles.

6k in costs....

Basically an acceptance from the council that they're gonna continue to allow people to park on the path there. See also; the repaving of the footpath where the tree was knocked on Grand Parade. They'd rather let the cars do as they please rather than maintain and enforce what's already there. The easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Basically an acceptance from the council that they're gonna continue to allow people to park on the path there. See also; the repaving of the footpath where the tree was knocked on Grand Parade. They'd rather let the cars do as they please rather than maintain and enforce what's already there. The easy way out.

Well that didn't take long.

https://twitter.com/kissanej/status/1292924100499984384?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Construction has commenced on Block 3 of the Lyonshall O’Riordans Joinery student accommodation development on the Bandon Road. This block is unaffected by the recent fresh planning application to increase the number of beds in the development. This block is the furthest from the Bandon Road itself.

First crane went up today

https://twitter.com/corkcranecount/status/1293289230102396929

www.bandonroadshd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

Gardner wrote: »
    huge problems ongoing within Keatings. Haven't paid Subbies in a while. if rumours are true they are going out of business soon.

Timeline for Shakey Bridge reopening unknown

Penrose Aerial: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jcd-group_penrosedock-nearlythere-anewkindofworkday-activity-6699620910774779904-kbMP

Was originally longer but was asked to make this abridged version:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Looks class. :)

Noticed the planning notice for the long derelict looking Linehan's building on Adelaide St to be converted to apartments.

522966.png

522967.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

View from the top of the new crane erected on the Bandon Road

https://twitter.com/corkcranecount/status/1295045606285737987

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Lidl-planning-to-open-new-Cork-store-35c9a724-5533-48be-83b4-448b49df7a58-ds

Lidl for Blarney, as part of a "wider development". Very scant on details, or even say where it is to be exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

RINO87 wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Lidl-planning-to-open-new-Cork-store-35c9a724-5533-48be-83b4-448b49df7a58-ds

Lidl for Blarney, as part of a "wider development". Very scant on details, or even say where it is to be exactly...

Could never understand why Blarney has such poor grocery shopping options. I know SuperValu Tower is close (and recently expanded), but still even with objections etc., how nothing has gone in there is a mystery to me.

I dunno, its not like Lidl Churchfields or Blackpool are a million miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

The site in question is more than likely the old blarney park hotel site. Its the only place for a scheme that looks quiet big by the generated imagine.

There was previously an application for a "discount retailer" there but it was withdrawn. Supervalu/centra (same owner in blarney and tower) from what I hear, as expected, lobbied very hard against it. Also the Castle was against it due to the impact on the castle views but they reject most things for the village.

Hence why they a making a effort with garden roof etc

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thejuggler

rounders wrote: »
    The site in question is more than likely the old blarney park hotel site. Its the only place for a scheme that looks quiet big by the generated imagine.

There was previously an application for a "discount retailer" there but it was withdrawn. Supervalu/centra (same owner in blarney and tower) from what I hear, as expected, lobbied very hard against it. Also the Castle was against it due to the impact on the castle views but they reject most things for the village.

Hence why they a making a effort with garden roof etc
    Agreed they have been trying to get permission on that site for a decade. The local SuperValu owner and the castle owner are ‘well connected’ and appear to have the ability to block all developments which don’t suit them. Blarney is stuck in a time warp as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

thejuggler wrote: »
    Agreed they have been trying to get permission on that site for a decade. The local SuperValu owner and the castle owner are ‘well connected’ and appear to have the ability to block all developments which don’t suit them. Blarney is stuck in a time warp as a result.

Ridiculous carry on - they know they’ll miss out big time if Aldi/Lidl open up there - they shouldn’t be allowed to object on those grounds tbh - “I have a business and I don’t want any other supermarket in the town only my own”

leahyl wrote: »
    Ridiculous carry on - they know they’ll miss out big time if Aldi/Lidl open up there - they shouldn’t be allowed to object on those grounds tbh - “I have a business and I don’t want any other supermarket in the town only my own”

I agree that they shouldn't be allowed object on those grounds as its a nonsense. Will they really lose out much in reality? - like I said earlier Aldi in Blackpool and Lidl up in churchfields are literally 5-10 minutes away.

If you live close to the area and would do a shop in lidl/aldi then you are going to them already - If you need to run in for something you will go into the Centra in the Village (not the filling station one, unless you like an empty pocket - their prices are extortionate)

If you want branded goods/fresh food you will go to Supervalu tower anyway too, if thats your thing. I dont see a lidl in the village changing this.

We only have a single image to go on, unless anyone has seen the planning?? In the image there does appear to be housing included. Surely this can only benefit the businesses in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

RINO87 wrote: »
    I agree that they shouldn't be allowed object on those grounds as its a nonsense. Will they really lose out much in reality? - like I said earlier Aldi in Blackpool and Lidl up in churchfields are literally 5-10 minutes away.

If you live close to the area and would do a shop in lidl/aldi then you are going to them already - If you need to run in for something you will go into the Centra in the Village (not the filling station one, unless you like an empty pocket - their prices are extortionate)

If you want branded goods/fresh food you will go to Supervalu tower anyway too, if thats your thing. I dont see a lidl in the village changing this.

We only have a single image to go on, unless anyone has seen the planning?? In the image there does appear to be housing included. Surely this can only benefit the businesses in the village.

Had a look yesterday and there was only the withdrawn application

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Skibbereen has been destroyed this evening with floods despite the OPW flood works. A warning for the city. The OPW should not be allowed anywhere near flood defences.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'd be interested in hearing more about the 'this area' bit. See this video video (sorry, can never get Twitter embedding to work!)

This is the junction of the street above, and 'The Cutting', an artificial gorge cut for a railway line. It looks like perhaps runoff from the hill is flowing down into that gorge and along its length, and from there around the corner and down into Bridge St. (the area shown in the TD's photo above).

I don't know the flood defences very well, though it seemed to me the focus was on stopping the river overtopping its banks, not on runoff from higher areas. I 100% can't say if it's the case here, but perhaps it's possible that if water can get in by other means, the flood defences might exacerbate things by containing the flood in the town.

I'd like to hear more about what happened!

The hotel on MacCurtain St flew up, looks like prefab is the way to go.

523647.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

who_me wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing more about the 'this area' bit. See this video video (sorry, can never get Twitter embedding to work!)

This is the junction of the street above, and 'The Cutting', an artificial gorge cut for a railway line. It looks like perhaps runoff from the hill is flowing down into that gorge and along its length, and from there around the corner and down into Bridge St. (the area shown in the TD's photo above).

I don't know the flood defences very well, though it seemed to me the focus was on stopping the river overtopping its banks, not on runoff from higher areas. I 100% can't say if it's the case here, but perhaps it's possible that if water can get in by other means, the flood defences might exacerbate things by containing the flood in the town.

I'd like to hear more about what happened!

Pretty much as you thought https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/statement-cork-county-council-skibbereen-flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

opus wrote: »
    The hotel on MacCurtain St flew up, looks like prefab is the way to go.

It flew down as well when they were illegally demolishing the previous building. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Is the redbrick on penrose quay development still in the planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Penrose Two - 6th Floor

Full Size: https://i.imgur.com/IfLdbPr.jpg

524105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Flooding in Bandon overnight. A second reminder in a week of what the OPWs "flood relief" works actually deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like the underground pumps didn't kick in for whatever reason. Residents must be fuming after years of disruption to their businesses and for it not to even work. Heartbreaking and rightfully outraged

Councillor on rte radio 1 just said no that the floods in bandon were in sections that weren't complete yet (taking forever) and that the storm drains were taking in too much water then they can handle. Doesn't that defeat the point of storm drains?

Advertisement