Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Didn't a shopkeeper say last week that the storm drain was locked and that no one in the vacinity had been given a key, it remained closed during the flood, utterly ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Flooding in Bandon overnight. A second reminder in a week of what the OPWs "flood relief" works actually deliver.

Doesn't bode well for Cork City Flood Defence scheme. AKA building a concrete wall around the centre island. I still believe a tidal barrier is a viable (and more reliable) solution with far fewer negative impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doesn't bode well for Cork City Flood Defence scheme. AKA building a concrete wall around the centre island. I still believe a tidal barrier is a viable (and more reliable) solution with far fewer negative impacts.

Doesn't suit the concrete built is better built lobby.
    They made the River Bandon into a concrete storm drain and it still flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I really think I'd prefer a tidal barrier than in 'shrink wrapping' the city in walls. Cost doesn't mean much, if the cheaper option isn't effective.

Yes, a single failure will be costly either way, but I'd have far more faith in one big barrier being inspected and maintained; than every quayside wall, and every drain around the city centre. When it comes to flooding, it really is a "weakest link" scenario. It doesn't matter as much if the walls hold, if one drain inside the walls allows backflow and floods the interior (see Skibbereen's case).

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Any word on the Prism? Thought I heard work was supposed to start back up this month but I passed there today and nothing is happening. Is it safe to assume this has been postponed indefinitely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

OPW flood prevention for Limerick = Failed
    OPW flood prevention for Skibbereen = Failed
    OPW flood prevention for Bandon = Failed

OPW flood prevention for Cork City = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

OPW flood prevention for Cork City = ?

OPW restoration of numerous historic structures = failed
    OPW coastal erosion measures near Slea Head = failed
    OPW management of Sceilg Mhichíl = failed

etc., etc., etc.

I suspect nothing encapsulates the concept of jobs-for-the-boys better than the OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Do you have a source on Limerick? For the other two I think fairly reasonable explanations were given by the council

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/statement-cork-county-council-flooding-bantry-and-bandon-bilingual
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/statement-cork-county-council-skibbereen-flooding-bilingual

"Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

cantalach wrote: »
    OPW restoration of numerous historic structures = failed
    OPW coastal erosion measures near Slea Head = failed
    OPW management of Sceilg Mhichíl = failed

etc., etc., etc.

I suspect nothing encapsulates the concept of jobs-for-the-boys better than the OPW.

Yeah but just think how much money they spent ...

Largely not their fault ... Everyone wants all flooding fixed for ever (, and that ain't gonna happen , ) then there's a huge amount of political interference, and over engineering,
    The same will probably happen in city

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

alanucc wrote: »
    Do you have a source on Limerick? For the other two I think fairly reasonable explanations were given by the council
    Not a big project like the others but still: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/opw-to-accept-full-liability-after-failed-river-defences-flooded-homes-and-gaa-club-38465219.html

In Bandon OPW admitted the pumps failed and they are investigating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yeah but just think how much money they spent ...

Largely not their fault ... Everyone wants all flooding fixed for ever (, and that ain't gonna happen , ) then there's a huge amount of political interference, and over engineering,
    The same will probably happen in city

I'd broadly agree with you, there's no "silver bullet" for flooding, but big walls and complex arrangements with large numbers of valves and gates are less desirable than a tidal barrier as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭opus

For the first time in ages I was able to walk along Millerd St going to work this morning.

524347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

alanucc wrote: »

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/statement-cork-county-council-flooding-bantry-and-bandon-bilingual
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/statement-cork-county-council-skibbereen-flooding-bilingual

"Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it"

Personally I don't think that's anywhere near good enough. The people and businesses of Bandon and Skibbereen were promised flood relief and then a summer storm brings flooding anyway. Looks like the businesses without flood insurance will just have to accept the "reasonable explanations".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

From ABP today:

Permission granted for 449 units (315 houses/134 apartments) at Maryborough Ridge by Glenveagh Properties

Pre-application consultanion filed for 229 build to rent apartments on the site of the former Hewitt's Mills on the North City Link Road: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308001.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are they knocking the old stone mill building then ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Arup awarded contract for civil engineering consultancy services for the infrastructure at the Brewery Quarter. 2 bridges, public realm works

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/159925/0/1?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

marno21 wrote: »
    Arup awarded contract for civil engineering consultancy services for the infrastructure at the Brewery Quarter. 2 bridges, public realm works

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/159925/0/1?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Great news!

It still seems a little odd though, the bridge to/from French's Quay seems like a bit of a bridge to nowhere with the future of the Event Centre still uncertain.

who_me wrote: »
    It still seems a little odd though, the bridge to/from French's Quay seems like a bit of a bridge to nowhere with the future of the Event Centre still uncertain.

Don't worry work will start on it any day now ;) After all it wasn't today or yesterday this happened!

CqGRZktWAAABwZe?format=jpg&name=900x900

1600 days+

Further information for the Custom House Tower was received on August 20th and a decision is due by October 14th.

per DylanG on skyscrapercity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Sextant bar is being demolished this evening according to Neil P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

That is great news, that this project is getting underway, the last I heard on it a few months ago was that it was all being paused.

Still no sign of any work on the new Carey Tools site out near the Kinsale Road Roundabout though.

Hopefully this isn’t just a case of demolishing the Sextant in order to prevent any stumbling blocks with future planning applications should this tower not go ahead.

The demolition of the former Square Deal is almost up to the front of the building.

524592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,121 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kub wrote: »
    That is great news, that this project is getting underway, the last I heard on it a few months ago was that it was all being paused.

The blandification of the city continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And to think there should be thousands milling around there tonight for Westlife.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And to think there should be thousands milling around there tonight for Westlife.

But sure the Sextant had closed long before Covid entered our collective consciousness. .

marno21 wrote: »
    From ABP today:

Permission granted for 449 units (315 houses/134 apartments) at Maryborough Ridge by Glenveagh Properties

Way too big a development to put up there until there is clarity on badly needed infrastructural improvements, i.e. the M28 and the Southern Distributor route, esp. the part connecting Carr’s Hill with Donnybrook Hill. Douglas can’t take another 400 cars coming through the Fingerpost every morning and evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Is the Sextant still being destroyed or something? There's relentless crashing construction noises coming from town non-stop all evening, even now. It's fuçkin half one like.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Is the Sextant still being destroyed or something? There's relentless crashing construction noises coming from town non-stop all evening, even now. It's fuçkin half one like.
    Yes. I was there for a while and they still had a lot to go around 1am.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Would they ever stfu, it's like the siege of Ennis and I'm a fair ways from town.

Advertisement