Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

saw this about the kino cinema proposed renovation.

Does the person appealing does have some valid issues ?
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Appeal-lodged-against-Cork-entertainment-venue-redevelopment-plans-0ca1df0c-9279-41f7-9a8d-05ef8c2e3dc1-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

saw this about the kino cinema proposed renovation.

Does the person appealing does have some valid issues ?
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Appeal-lodged-against-Cork-entertainment-venue-redevelopment-plans-0ca1df0c-9279-41f7-9a8d-05ef8c2e3dc1-ds

NIMBYism in its purest form.

Imagine complaining about potential anti-social behaviour while already surrounded by a dozen pubs in that area. :rolleyes: What kind of people does this person think frequent a place like the Kino? The performing arts crowd are well-known to be a rowdy bunch, alright...

How are huge developments like this allowed to be stalled for 6 months because of one single objector? The planning system is so screwed up in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭uptherebels

NIMBYism in its purest form.

Imagine complaining about potential anti-social behaviour while already surrounded by a dozen pubs in that area. :rolleyes: What kind of people does this person think frequent a place like the Kino? The performing arts crowd are well-known to be a rouwdy bunch, alright...

How are huge developments like this allowed to be stalled for 6 months because of one single objector? The planning system is so screwed up in this country.

How many objectors should be needed?
    As someone who lives in the area, surrounded by a dozen a dozen pubs, the only place I have noise problems with is the kino. So I'm not convinced that if a roof top bar is added that it will be managed properly especially with adding students into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NIMBY complaining about reduction in natural light while living slap bang in the middle of the city. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pre-application consultation gone in with ABP for a student accommodation with 265 bed spaces at Wilton Road

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308043.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

How many objectors should be needed?
    As someone who lives in the area, surrounded by a dozen a dozen pubs, the only place I have noise problems with is the kino. So I'm not convinced that if a roof top bar is added that it will be managed properly especially with adding students into the mix.

Are you the one who lodged the complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

marno21 wrote: »
    Pre-application consultation gone in with ABP for a student accommodation with 265 bed spaces at Wilton Road

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308043.htm

That's the tyre place isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Any idea what's going on with the place as it's looked deserted for years now? Looking at the facebook page for the former restaurant, appears it closed in 2014!

525184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Ive been wondering that for a while now - seems really odd. Not even sure if the apartments are empty, I dont see much sign of life. You would think a ready made apartment building would be a hot commodity, and the restaurant and dry cleaner too with increasing local population with Square Deal. Even a cafe or something would be perfect for students

If there are people in those apartments then they certainly like living in the dark!

As far I know they were for short-term lets as a friend of mine has her parents & sister staying there for a few weeks when she was having a baby maybe 8/9 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

opus wrote: »
    Any idea what's going on with the place as it's looked deserted for years now? Looking at the facebook page for the former restaurant, appears it closed in 2014!

525184.jpg

Hideous. Knock it and replace it with a red brcik building with a tower like the one at the end of summerhill/Lower Glanmire rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Used to have a nice beer garden overlooking the river, surprised it was never remade into another restuarant/cafe tbh

See that the student apartments at the Lough have been given the go-ahead for an increase in numbers for the third time.

1946087_1_articlelarge_Copy_20of_20bandon1_1_.jpg

Planning granted for student accommodation near the Lough in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

I see there's now a tower crane up in CIT for phase 1 of their new indoor sports facilities. Good to see them pushing on with this considering the campus will be pretty quite for some time yet.

Big chuck of the old Square Deal place coming down today, the brick facade is being preserved as far as I know.

525480.jpg

And the finished product!

525554.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

O Kelly are getting plenty of work they did Sullivan quay and are in Thomas Davis Street in Blackpool too.

Noticed the old TSB bank building on North Main St is being cleaned out over the last week or so, hopefully something new will go in there as the street badly needs businesses rather than derelict buildings/sites.

Just down the road, looks like not much left internally of the three buildings that are being held up by steel bracing.

525661.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

opus wrote: »

525184.jpg

Bank took that back from the owner and its gone into NAMA. There is a big legal wrangle with that still, chinese tried to buy it but again its stuck in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

rob316 wrote: »
    Bank took that back from the owner and its gone into NAMA. There is a big legal wrangle with that still, chinese tried to buy it but again its stuck in limbo.

Thanks for that, good to know! Can I ask where you read that? Would like to keep up with it as it goes along if I can.

Good news re TSB, honestly any movement (that isnt emergency bracing) on NMS is probably an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

New Signage....
    Apologies for the quality of the image, the interior of the windows are getting more manky every week ;)

Je6obPm.jpg

S8cCwA2.jpg

Full Size: https://i.imgur.com/I1rsHyC.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

what a hideous building. looks like it is covered in a bin liner

Even the name "dean" a name that conjures up images of a scrote with his manky tracksuit tucked in to his socks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Even the name "dean" a name that conjures up images of a scrote with his manky tracksuit tucked in to his socks

It's a marmite building. Personally I think it fits in with the overall development and shouldn't be viewed as a stand alone piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

It's a marmite building. Personally I think it fits in with the overall development and shouldn't be viewed as a stand alone piece.

Marmite as in 95% of the population hate it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I love it especially how the roof angle lines up the other building when viewed approaching the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

cantalach wrote: »

LOL. :p

Honestly though when the whole project is finished I think it will really add to the scheme and eventually become liked by more people than it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,560 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What the story with the open section at the top? Is that an atrium or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Looks great. Better than the mostly derelict waste land it replaces anyway. Progress is good. Fear of change is bad.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What the story with the open section at the top? Is that an atrium or something?

Think thatll be the rooftop bar, like at the one in Dublin. Unsure if therell be a swing for any politicians to fall from though

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Fantastic contemporary building - more of this please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cantalach wrote: »

Why is it that when people dislike a building they always seem to assume that everyone else feels the same?

Conversely, I really like R&H Hall, but I do understand that the majority of other people feel differently.

Advertisement