Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

A short walk around the new Penrose Dock development https://youtu.be/zi2ytn6i8d8

Wouldn't like to walk down some of those lanes at night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

i think so far we are lucky ... glass ... glass ... glass ... glass ... glass
    Fyp
    Why is it that when people dislike a building they always seem to assume that everyone else feels the same?

Conversely, I really like R&H Hall, but I do understand that the majority of other people feel differently.
    To me and many like me, it's a blank canvas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Do people here who dislike the use of large quantities of glass in modern buildings (particularly office buildings) understand the major benefits of it with regards to energy consumption, environmental impact, running costs etc

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Do people here who dislike the use of large quantities of glass in modern buildings (particularly office buildings) understand the major benefits of it with regards to energy consumption, environmental impact, running costs etc

We do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm looking forward to the boom in the absail-window-cleaner business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It ain't necessarily so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/28/ban-all-glass-skscrapers-to-save-energy-in-climate-crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Building a glass box that relies solely on mechanical air conditioning for cooling should be discouraged and challenged.

However combing a glazed facade with appropriate energy efficient methods can be very beneficial

One Angel Square, Manchester for example.

https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/one-angel-square/

In fairness to the proposed developments, they tend to have the glass box look at least broken up a bit, The Prism and Port tower certainly are going glass box look, but Railway Gardens, Victoria road, Sextant Tower, Jacobs island all do a nice job of breaking up the walls of glass with other materials.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40049207.html
    While the move has been welcomed by some of the region’s largest developers, John Cleary Developments — which has planning for a 25-storey apartment building on the city’s south quays — said the 50% reduction alone won’t be enough to make apartment developments viable in the city centre.
    O’Callaghan Properties asked for an increased reduction in charges in the city centre and docklands area to stimulate growth on brownfield sites but Ms Doherty said the scheme is designed to provide a stimulus for residential development specifically while still retaining the ability of the council to deliver identified infrastructure.

Should be a "by any means necessary" drive here to stimulate apartment building in the city centre. The external benefits of such a measure would far outweigh development contributions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2 new residential development SHDs have gone in today. Both on the extremities of commuter towns

150 units (112 houses + 38 apartments) at Monacnapa, Blarney: www.monacnapashd.ie

113 units (59 houses + 54 apartments) at Maglin Road, Ballincollig: www.maglinshd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    Quakeside Ltd submitted a planning application for the construction of a four to six-storey development which would incorporate office and hotel use at the former Moore’s Hotel site on Morrison’s Quay, as well as the conservation of a number of protected structures to accommodate office buildings earlier this year. It was initially granted by City Hall’s planning department but was subsequently appealed to An Bord Pleanála. The developer then withdrew the application and submitted a new one to Cork City Council in July. Quakeside Ltd has now been granted conditional permission for the latest development, which incorporates numbers 9 to 14 Morrison’s Quay, 5 to 5A Fitton St, 1 Keeffe St, and adjoining lands backing onto Catherine St and Keeffe St.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Go-ahead-for-hotel-and-office-development-in-city-centre-85e7ae4e-1891-44e2-ba13-16ba86ea8252-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Crows Nest's site yesterday.

526602.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

lz8ShJW.png

tvntkiD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

cantalach wrote: »
    Not one of them wearing a mask!

They're outdoors! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

lz8ShJW.png

tvntkiD.png

Looks great. Such a shame the apartments on the adjoining site have been put on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Looks great.

Hmm I dunno the mostly derelict land that was there had a sort of old charm about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its an appalling monstrosity, doesn't fit into the area at all and even if there were other buildings similar in style, it would still look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

What is it supposed to fit into? One storey warehouses? ITs a brand new area. Every building everywhere didn't fit into its area until everything was built up around it. It's also incredible looking especially on the ground in person

Will all this additional office space be needed in the near, middle future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Its an appalling monstrosity, doesn't fit into the area at all and even if there were other buildings similar in style, it would still look awful.

Ah jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Mav11 wrote: »
    Will all this additional office space be needed in the near, middle future?

Penrose dock is 75% full already

Treviso wrote: »
    Penrose dock is 75% full already
    Which means it’s 25% empty. I’d imagine most of those leases were entered into pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Which means it’s 25% empty. I’d imagine most of those leases were entered into pre covid.

Most were announced post covid. 75% would be a decent return at any time. Saying that, Navigation Square across the way is struggling for tenants.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Most were announced post covid. 75% would be a decent return at any time. Saying that, Navigation Square across the way is struggling for tenants.

I just wonder is google walking away from a new development in Dublin, a one off or a sign of things to come?

https://www.thejournal.ie/google-dublin-property-market-5202251-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Hard to know at this stage - Microsoft just signed a huge lease for Dublin Landings to co locate with salesforce. Google may be back too, they could be using the breathing space they have at the moment to save for now and/or drive a better deal in a few months time. Im saying that hoping there is some rebalancing after covid, I think a remote or at least hybrid working model for the knowledge economy has proven itself and for personal and environmental, and *additional* office lease cost reasons theres upsides for everyone. I wouldnt like to be a hiring manager in the coming years for a company that insists on having people in 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Its good for Cork/rest of Ireland too if people who dont necessarily want to be in Dublin but whos company is based there to have flex to work remote and buzz up on the train for a few days a month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I just wonder is google walking away from a new development in Dublin, a one off or a sign of things to come?

https://www.thejournal.ie/google-dublin-property-market-5202251-Sep2020/

That development seems to have been a stopgap for google while more space is being built for them at Bolands Quay. Hard to predict what will come but that story was blown way out of proportion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

75% occupancy in an development upon completion in a scheme of this size in a pandemic in a city of Cork's size is remarkable.

The city centre has approximately 25,000 jobs in all sectors [2016 figures] - the 4 large office developments in recent years (Albert quay/Navigation square/Penrose dock/Horgan's quay) have capacity of around 10,000 to 12,000 office jobs.

This is probably equivalent to a doubling of the city centre's office employment in a very short time period. All of these jobs could have ended up in suburban office parks on greenfield sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Hard to know at this stage - Microsoft just signed a huge lease for Dublin Landings to co locate with salesforce. Google may be back too, they could be using the breathing space they have at the moment to save for now and/or drive a better deal in a few months time. Im saying that hoping there is some rebalancing after covid, I think a remote or at least hybrid working model for the knowledge economy has proven itself and for personal and environmental, and *additional* office lease cost reasons theres upsides for everyone. I wouldnt like to be a hiring manager in the coming years for a company that insists on having people in 9-5 Mon-Fri.

I get a feeling this WFH model was great for a few months but people are slowly getting itchy feet to move away from it. I know in my world, people are dying to get back to having people to go for coffee breaks, lunch, Friday pints etc with, so once they become an option again, people will be keen to get back a few days a week.

The bigger issue will be longer to develop. How do you manage a Graduate intake when everyone's working remotely. The coaching, training and showing people by doing is very hard to replicate remotely.

I also suspect there will be studies done as to the promotion opportunities from WFH, it's a lot harder to break down barriers and get to know people when you're only on Zoom calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭RINO87

Unpopular opinion I know but WFH is driving me nuts...my home is just not cut out for it I work in tech and not having a separation between work and home is not ideal.

I'm not the only one feeling like this, office space is not going to go away - having a dedicated desk, maybe.

Advertisement