Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

cantalach wrote: »
    Sisk also had the original full contract, the one that Shane Ross cancelled two years ago. So I’m now really curious to know how much higher the new contract is given that the projected cost overrun on the original contract that upset Ross so much was of the order of 10% IIRC.

It had nothing to do with Ross. The contract has a clause in there that it would be split in two. Part one contained prep work (which is now being completed) and construction.

Prep work found there was essentially no foundations and pure slit which meant it was going to cost a lot more to construct than forecasted. Since the contract had a clause in to allow re-tender if the price couldn't be agreed, TII availed of that clause cause they wanted to see what other prices they could get with the knowledge about the ground conditions.

By having this clause it's believed to have saved TII €40m. Sisk still won the phase 2 but since it was open back up to tender they had to be a lot more competitive on their price. I want to see infrastructure projects completed as quick as possible but having this clauses are there to stop spiraling costs.

So summary. Nothing to do with Ross no matter how much you want to give out about him in this case

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40063922.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

rounders wrote: »
    It had nothing to do with Ross. The contract has a clause in there that it would be split in two. Part one contained prep work (which is now being completed) and construction.

Yes, yes, of course it was TII who pulled out. But it is highly unlikely that their paymaster - the Minister for Transport - didn’t bring pressure to bear. There were widely-reported grumblings from him when the bottomless silt issue first emerged against the backdrop of heightened sensitivity about public contract overruns given the Children’s Hospital shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Danger781 wrote: »
    Hmm unfortunately the site I'm referring to doesn't have any planning permission associated with it from what I can see on that website.. :/

Looks like it's these houses,

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Council-to-resume-house-building-in-Clonakilty-51937f0f-5292-49ed-9375-d5368cfd63c6-ds

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/news/progress-resumes-delivery-clonakilty-homes

It's a county council project, hence why it's not on the planning application website. why that's the case, I don't know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Article on the Bandon Road student development:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Site-for-83m-student-accommodation-development-in-Cork-snapped-up-by-global-investors-25fdcb5d-132e-4f42-b9ff-03b95d5f7cba-ds

Interesting quote:
    Round Hill Capital, in partnership with NBK Capital, plans further acquisitions to develop a 2,000+ bed student accommodation portfolio.

Wonder could the stalled developments at Kelleher's Tyres or the former Coca Cola site be on their radar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

rounders wrote: »
    By having this clause it's believed to have saved TII €40m.

The scope of the works was significantly changed between the initial tender and the recent tender. Slip roads, roundabouts, utility diversions, etc were simply transferred to the "enabling works" that are currently underway to reduce the amount of work and reduce the price. There was little if any saving for TII but it looks good politically to state the tendered sum reduced by €40m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

The artist from Cobh will be devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

thejuggler wrote: »

day made

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Great news.....will it actually happen anytime soon though? I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He can still and almost certainly will appeal. Several others waiting in the wings too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snotboogie wrote: »
    He can still and almost certainly will appeal. Several others waiting in the wings too

:rolleyes::(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

What cobh artist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brilliant news!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great news.

I have no doubt Tower Holdings have priced in the inevitable appeal to An Bord Pleanala by the usual clowns.

Given the level of effort put in to this to date I have no doubt it’s a genuine effort to get this to construction. Covid-19 will be a distant memory by the time this opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

leahyl wrote: »
    Great news.....will it actually happen anytime soon though? I hope so!

Expect an appeal to ABP(hello cobh artist!) plus potential court action. Good news it got past the first hurdle. If it gets past the appeals I wouldn't expect to see construction before 2023/24.

Anyone know the construction time, 2 years maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Delighted!

I know the usual oul whingers will pile in with the objections but its a great start.

:pac:

Moore's Hotel/Morrisons Quay hotel development appealed to An Bord Pleanala

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308386.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

What cobh artist?

Serial appealer against Cork developments. Will name no names here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Serial appealer against Cork developments. Will name no names here.

Am i right in think said artist is not even a cork man but a dub living in cobh appealing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Am i right in think said artist is not even a cork man but a dub living in cobh appealing everything

Ya he won't be the only one to appeal though, An Taisce will likely be all over this and there are a few others knocking about too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Spot on. I saw another person raging that it’s going ahead and not too long ago mentioned that they had just moved to Cork. All a bit bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Johnny Adams.
    He was certainly living in Cork in the mid 90s,probably before that. He ran for election and failed some years ago.
    I am glad that the development has been approved. I don't agree with the objections.

But please do tell me what the fcuk does where a person is born has to do with any objection?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

In my Humble Option,If there was ever a good time to take on any Appeals on this Development, it’s now. Covid will hinder any Large Scale Activity well into 2021and possibly into 2022. Should be plenty of time to hopefully get The Green Light.

Johnny Adams.
    He was certainly living in Cork in the mid 90s,probably before that. He ran for election and failed some years ago.
    I am glad that the development has been approved. I don't agree with the objections.

But please do tell me what the fcuk does where a person is born has to do with any objection?

The idea that someone not from cork, but more importantly not living in the city objecting to what is built in the city is ridiculous.

Sorry, but where somebody is originally from should have no bearing on their entitlement to object. All that counts is where somebody lives now. So much and all as I dislike the serial objectors and nimbys, parochialism is as bad.

The idea that someone not from cork, but more importantly not living in the city objecting to what is built in the city is ridiculous.

BS. I’m not from Cork but I’ve lived here for years, my wife is from Cork, and my kids are from Cork. I’ve contributed hugely to life in Cork in ways that I’m not going to go into here. So don’t tell me I haven’t an equal say to you just because I’m not from here. There are plenty of native-born Corkonians who have done fück all for their home town. Seriously, put a sock in it before you make it worse for yourself.

cantalach wrote: »
    BS. I’m not from Cork but I’ve lived here for years, my wife is from Cork, and my kids are from Cork. I’ve contributed hugely to life in Cork in ways that I’m not going to go into here. So don’t tell me I haven’t an equal say to you just because I’m not from here. There are plenty of native-born Corkonians who have done fück all for their home town. Seriously, put a sock in it before you make it worse for yourself.

you misunderstand me.

The major bone of contention is Not living in cork, hence why I said "more importantly".

If he was a cork city man who moved to live outside the city, then it would not be an issue, but why you are neither a cork person or living in cork, combined, then it is ridiculous,

My parents are not from cork and lived here for over 55 years, so its not about not being from cork, but if that is combined with the fact he is not from cork or even live here then it is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

do you mean like someone from letterkenny moving to waterford city and objecting to stuff in dungarvan?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Realistically unless you live within a 'X' km radius of a development or are a recognised protection organisation you have no business objecting to things that don't affect you (I'm not even sure of the point of the second one). Allowing people across the country object for their entertainment is what holds up so much development in this country. This isn't parochialism, it's common sense.

• Advertisement

you misunderstand me.

The major bone of contention is Not living in cork, hence why I said "more importantly".

Yes, but just before that you said, “The idea that somebody not from Cork...” so you clearly think that it has at least some relevance. It has none. I have no problem with the rest of what you said but “blow-in!” has no place in modern Ireland.

Advertisement