Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Saw this on SkyScraper city by marno21 with regards to the Prism, seems its not totally dead. Website was updated to add
    How will COVID-19 influence the new workplace ecosystem?

According to recent research by Cushman & Wakefield, the new post-pandemic working environment entails a total workplace ecosystem with a variety of locations and experiences to support convenience, functionality and well-being. While remote working policies will be expanded to balancing office, home and third places, the office will remain a critical driver of culture, learning, and personal connections. Balancing the impact of social distancing on density with less office-based headcount demand will likely not affect current footprint sizes and offices will continue to thrive but in new ways.

The Prism design lends itself to easily align with these concepts, as our development embraces:
    • Intelligent building design which is conducive to a healthy workspace; creating a ‘hospital-grade’ work environment.
    • Integration of voice-activated and touch-less automation in the main reception, lobbies and common areas; all of which shall be fully integrated with other smart building technologies. Inclusion of easy-clean surfaces and antiviral materials.
    • HVAC system fully isolated between tenancies with individual direct fresh air intake per tenant space.
    • Individually isolated bathrooms for each tenant space with touch-less technology.
    • Floor plans which allow for great flexibility, permitting tenants to promote their company culture, encourage team collaboration, become staff training hubs, social centres and promote greater productivity and connectiveness to the company.
    • Floor plates allow for social distancing workstation design, greater privacy for employees and a touch-free environment.
    • Therefore, it is our belief, The Prism will undoubtedly serve the new purpose of the office: to provide an inspiring destination that strengthens cultural connection, learning, bonding with customers and colleagues, while fostering creativity and innovation, with the primary focus on employee well-being and safety

Hopefully we will see work resume in the future

https://theprismbuilding.ie/design/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vulcan01

Yes exciting glass boxes with lots of lights on, Just Fab. People up on the hill just love it.

As for the Trees in the promo no doubt that is a wishful thought.

I see they carefully do not capture the black building eyesore behind it.

At least I can park my Yacht there in a year or two for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Vulcan01 wrote: »
    Yes exciting glass boxes with lots of lights on, Just Fab. People up on the hill just love it.

As for the Trees in the promo no doubt that is a wishful thought.

I see they carefully do not capture the black building eyesore behind it.

At least I can park my Yacht there in a year or two for commuting.

If you're talking about the prism, then its a triangular shape, not a box:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It'll be like a big glass Toblerone box...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Vulcan01 wrote: »

I’m asking a genuine question here...it’s not rhetorical or meant to sound smart-allecky: what type of building would you have them build in the city centre? Maybe link to a few photos.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    I’m asking a genuine question here...it’s not rhetorical or meant to sound smart-allecky: what type of building would you have them build in the city centre? Maybe link to a few photos.

Skellig-Michael-Ahch-To-Monastery-View-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Single storey granite clad and not square with no windows because glass seems to be this mad newfangled stuff thats evil and square is bad too for some reason.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Appeal for Dennehy's Cross Proposed Development

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40067244.html

The backers of a 45 apartment development at Cork's Denehys Cross have appealed a decision by Cork City Council that rejected the proposal.

Dennehys Cross Construction Ltd was seeking to demolish an existing disused garage to build four three-bed, 29 two-bed and 12 one-bed apartments in two blocks, one five and one six-storey.

The buildings, on the site formerly known as ‘Dennehys Cross Garage’, Model Farm Rd, Cork, would have to be separated by an amenity courtyard, and the development included a planned circulation track and no provision for car parking.

However, planners at Cork City Hall rejected the scheme.

They said the height, bulk, and massing of the scheme meant it would be "visually overbearing" in the Bishopstown and Wilton area. Its proximity to neighbouring properties and the Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit — a protected structure — were also cited by planners as factors in their decision.

However, the company has now appealed the Council's decision to AN Bord Pleanála. A decision is expected in late February.

How can you say that something is too big, compared to that very church...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

A CBD made up of replicas of the county hall

• Advertisement

How can you say that something is too big, compared to that very church...?

Was thinking the same thing.

And is it more "visually overbearing" than the county hall down the road or the new crows nest 10 floor student apartments? Or the 5 floor apartment building already on Denehy's cross :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Visually overbearing to the protected church i assume they mean

Visually overbearing to the protected church i assume they mean

Jaysis. Pot, kettle, black.....

Jaysis. Pot, kettle, black.....

Every fecking church is visually overwhelming.

Both Cathedrals, Turners Cross, Farranree, Churchfield, Shandon.

So we're not allowed to compete with these behemoths? That's every parish covered so, and North Main Street left to fall apart...

If you look at the renders is disgusting so while i think buildings should be allowed to co exist with them, this development was definitely not worth putting there. i'll see if i can find a photo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

would people have preferred the prism to look like that atrocious connolly hall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

The hostel on Grand Parade (old tourist info place) has gotten the go-ahead. New bar as well it says.

Permission granted to covert former Cork tourist office into six-storey hostel

1997978_5_articleinline_Grand-Parade-CGI-2-600x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

opus wrote: »
    The hostel on Grand Parade (old tourist info place) has gotten the go-ahead. New bar as well it says.

Very interesting that ABP reversed the CCC condition to remove the top floor. Another example to add to the pile that ABP are favouring taller buildings, (not that CCC were particularly averse to them in the first place!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭snotboogie

opus wrote: »

I believe this is another case of developers who have never built anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

snotboogie wrote: »
    I believe this is another case of developers who have never built anything?
    Agreed. They seem to have a history of getting planning and flipping sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

marno21 wrote: »
    San Paula student accommodation on Orchard Road has been filed with ABP

https://orchardroadshd.ie/

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/307441.htm

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Green-light-for-large-student-accommodation-development-in-Cork-city--a6612de3-29e8-4154-9ef3-5a905cd61973-ds

I thought this area might have been considered too residential for approval. I guess the €1.9m gamble paid off.

1916138_2_articleinline_bn-985827_f42948b0eb3a42008a4330211d89b896.jpg

looking at it you'd think so but maybe an bord pleanala consider the area too residential (in the other way) for somewhere so close to UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

looking at it you'd think so but maybe an bord pleanala consider the area too residential (in the other way) for somewhere so close to UCC

There's quite a few apartments in the area, front left and the bottom right half of the picture are all apartments, and the block above and to the left of he red circle are two of the 10 apartment blocks of Brookfield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,784 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was shocked to see it get approval. Hardly any parking spots, road access looks poor as it is located halfway between two sharp corners, footpath size etc there were objection but it sailed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whoistalking

Horgans Quay update in examiner:

EXAMINERWEBSITE/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40072274.html

sorry cant post URL yet

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

sorry cant post URL yet

Here you go

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40072274.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

sorry cant post URL yet

There you go, to a very interesting article :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40072274.html

kub wrote: »

It looks class in that first photo in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kub wrote: »

Very positive that they are still talking about the apartments. Potential to be on site in first half of next year. Obviously depends on getting an operator on board to manage the build to rent scheme.

Advertisement