Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Along with the pandemic, I wonder were Tower Holdings also holding off on moving on with the Prism to wait for the outcome of the election, given that all their business and financial backing is in the States. You would hope with Biden in charge from January and now with a possible vaccine the markets and everything else will be on the up with a bit of stability around. I imagine things will also bode better for them getting a tenant.
    Indeed. Newly competent global leadership, evidence that there is an exit from the coronavirus pandemic and a co-ordinated strategic approach to renewing the Cork docklands are three massive news stories from the last week.

I posted the link above from my phone earlier and now have a chance to type properly. The above news story is the definition of a game changer. I have frequently posted here about the disjointed, ad hoc development that has happened to date in the Docklands. We've seen the OCP purchase of the Origin lands, the renders of the Tedcastles and Ford sites but no centralised plan as to how this is all going to link together. There is no point in building 3,000 apartments near the Pairc with the current **** heaps of roads linking them sites to the city, along with the fact that those sites are located at the end of a cul de sac with no supporting infrastructure at the end of a derelict industrial wasteland.

A proper, inter agency, co-ordinated approach to redeveloping the South Docks along with the area around Kent Station is the best thing that could happen to this city. Along with the Port of Cork development in Tivoli, the other 2 areas being redeveloped will strengthen the case for the proposed public transport projects and with the inter agency approach we could see a proper, co-ordinated attempt to finally get some of the long stalled projects (both public and private) off the ground.

There is so much case for optimism if this goes ahead. The disjoined approach of yesterday gives way to a newly co-ordinated attempt at proper progress

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed. Newly competent global leadership, evidence that there is an exit from the coronavirus pandemic and a co-ordinated strategic approach to renewing the Cork docklands are three massive news stories from the last week.

I posted the link above from my phone earlier and now have a chance to type properly. The above news story is the definition of a game changer. I have frequently posted here about the disjointed, ad hoc development that has happened to date in the Docklands. We've seen the OCP purchase of the Origin lands, the renders of the Tedcastles and Ford sites but no centralised plan as to how this is all going to link together. There is no point in building 3,000 apartments near the Pairc with the current **** heaps of roads linking them sites to the city, along with the fact that those sites are located at the end of a cul de sac with no supporting infrastructure at the end of a derelict industrial wasteland.

A proper, inter agency, co-ordinated approach to redeveloping the South Docks along with the area around Kent Station is the best thing that could happen to this city. Along with the Port of Cork development in Tivoli, the other 2 areas being redeveloped will strengthen the case for the proposed public transport projects and with the inter agency approach we could see a proper, co-ordinated attempt to finally get some of the long stalled projects (both public and private) off the ground.

There is so much case for optimism if this goes ahead. The disjoined approach of yesterday gives way to a newly co-ordinated attempt at proper progress

Well said re: co-ordinated approach

A minor point on the bit in bold but I noticed at the weekend the new cycle lanes in the marina have been setup since I was last there - with kerbs put up to prevent them being parked on i.e. around match days which is a huge plus....this should be standard procedure but for many years in Cork, simply hasn't been the case. It does seem as though more thought and planning & learning from previous mistakes is being taken into account going forward which is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Four more years! Great to think all of that could lead to serious advancement in Cork city. I would hope that a real ambitious plan to build dense modern building in this brownfield area also reduces the pressure in the historic core to gut buildings and try to slam modern bones into them, would love to see better use and sensitive upkeep of georgian rows in the current city centre with the shlick boys shifting out this way.

Also some new touting of Customs House Tower on HJL site
    https://henryjlyons.com/news/2020/10/16/set-to-be-the-tallest-building-in-ireland-permission-granted-for-iconic-landmark-in-heart-of-cork-city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

D'Agger wrote: »
    Well said re: co-ordinated approach

A minor point on the bit in bold but I noticed at the weekend the new cycle lanes in the marina have been setup since I was last there - with kerbs put up to prevent them being parked on i.e. around match days which is a huge plus....this should be standard procedure but for many years in Cork, simply hasn't been the case. It does seem as though more thought and planning & learning from previous mistakes is being taken into account going forward which is good to see.

Those new semi-segregated cycle tracks are a very welcome development for sure. I’m a little concerned at the way in which the tracks cross entrances to businesses. The posts pause too soon before the entrances and resume too late. I’ve already seen cars parked on the cycle track in this convenient little “parking space”. Hopefully they will revisit that. And if I was to be really picky - and I am - it is a pity that they have made Centrepark Road the outbound route and Monaghan Road the inbound route. If you visualise it as a circle, this is clockwise and that means a lot more right turns which is higher risk. The old Monaghan Road league race used to go anti-clockwise for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's wrong with normal matching-up windows like the buildings in between them?

Needs to be all "modhern" and edgy like. It annoys people with OCD.

Ugly, but not as ugly as the crashed alien spaceship outside Kent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

cantalach wrote: »
    Those new semi-segregated cycle tracks are a very welcome development for sure. I’m a little concerned at the way in which the tracks cross entrances to businesses. The posts pause too soon before the entrances and resume too late. I’ve already seen cars parked on the cycle track in this convenient little “parking space”. Hopefully they will revisit that. And if I was to be really picky - and I am - it is a pity that they have made Centrepark Road the outbound route and Monaghan Road the inbound route. If you visualise it as a circle, this is clockwise and that means a lot more right turns which is higher risk. The old Monaghan Road league race used to go anti-clockwise for good reason.

But at least they didn't put the bollards IN the cycle lane, like they're doing elsewhere in the city.

Let's not be overly negative: it's a good effort and it's appreciated. We can fight for improvements and perfection, but this is some of the first usable cycle infrastructure in the city in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Its true - always easy to point out the own goals from CCC (and they are regular and cheap), but to me there does feel like there is a big concerted effort going on in there lately to do a lot of good things that people have been asking for for a long time. In circumstances of much reduced income we shouldnt forget to be thankful for the positive changes and encourage (rather than naysay) for more.

Let's not be overly negative: it's a good effort and it's appreciated. We can fight for improvements and perfection, but this is some of the first usable cycle infrastructure in the city in a long time.

Yes, fully agree with that. I was just nitpicking. Tús maith leath na hoibre, etc.

Needs to be all "modhern" and edgy like. It annoys people with OCD.

Ugly, but not as ugly as the crashed alien spaceship outside Kent.

At least the spaceship has a fighter hanger bay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm going to go out on my own and say that I like the Hoor's Motel replacement.
    I'm not in love with it but I kinda like it. It's a little bit unusual, the size is right for the location and I think it fits in nicely.

Please try to be polite in your disagreement.
    I haven't questioned the sanity or insulted people who profess to hating this building, please afford me the same courtesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

At least the spaceship has a fighter hanger bay

Handy if you get onions in your burger you can fling them out the balcony. Job done.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I'm not in love with it but I kinda like it. It's a little bit unusual, the size is right for the location and I think it fits in nicely.

I haven't questioned the sanity or insulted people who profess to hating this building, please afford me the same courtesy.
    I like it too. Other than the windows, I think it fits in perfect. Right height, right proportions on the end buildings and I like how the protected buildings really stand out and take centre stage. If anything, my only issue is the half extended roof on the protected buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

bingo9999 wrote: »
    Its true - always easy to point out the own goals from CCC (and they are regular and cheap), but to me there does feel like there is a big concerted effort going on in there lately to do a lot of good things that people have been asking for for a long time. In circumstances of much reduced income we shouldnt forget to be thankful for the positive changes and encourage (rather than naysay) for more.
    Sometimes we're all too critical of a City Council that as to go with a begging bowl to the "big boys" in the Dept in Dublin with little local taxation in Ireland to fund their activities. The cities we constantly reference in the continent and the UK have their own sources of taxation and income.
    A big well done to them on the pedestrianisation of streets for outdoor eating, the cycle lanes down the Marina, the new Park being developed by the Marina, the new lighting on a section of the river walk, the new Bridges in the City Centre, facilitating the new PUC, the makeover of the Blackrock Marina, the Harbour Greenway, etc. Some great work done, not perfect but good changes that have made a significant difference to the city, opened up the Marina to a lot more users, etc. Couldn't believe the crowds down the Marina last Sunday morning.
    The area around the Marina, PUC, Atlantic Pond is a whole new City Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Bishopstown-housing-development-given-the-go-ahead-by-Cork-city-councillors-d46b92df-c8d5-4dbb-9774-96f424cf334e-ds
    Bishopstown housing development given the go-ahead by Cork city councillors

A CONTENTIOUS housing development at the junction of Hawkes Road and Bishopstown Road has been given the green light by Cork city councillors.

Is that the site that used to have a single bungalow on it that was tore down in the early 90s and has remained an abandoned site since the mid 90s?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Government looking for a clause to stop land with approved planning hoarding

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/use-it-or-lose-it-law-being-drafted-for-planning-permissions-1.4405671?mode=amp

HQ, Albert Quay, Railway Gardens in the spotlight here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Government looking for a clause to stop land with approved planning hoarding

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/use-it-or-lose-it-law-being-drafted-for-planning-permissions-1.4405671?mode=amp

HQ, Albert Quay, Railway Gardens in the spotlight here
    This would be a great development, there are too many abusing the SHD to flip sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

...add Wilton Shopping Centre and Sullivan's Quay to that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭snotboogie

blindsider wrote: »

Were they under SHD? If you extended this to non SHD planning you could probably get upwards of 100 in the city. The amount of proposed but never built is unreal.

Railway Gardens was so comically obvious land flipping you couldn't be disappointed by it. The Mahon Tower was the one thaf annoyed me the most, I had hope for that one.

There's been talk of leveling that place and a new entire shopping complex built for 15 years at least. I remember seeing an article in the Echo around 2010ish.

Its well past its life span, it should have been knocked and replaced years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

There's been talk of leveling that place and a new entire shopping complex built for 15 years at least. I remember seeing an article in the Echo around 2010ish.

Its well past its life span, it should have been knocked and replaced years ago.

And yet not a bad customer experience IMO.
    I much prefer Wilton to Mahon Point.
    Douglas also. They have a "little town centre" feel.

• Advertisement

And yet not a bad customer experience IMO.
    I much prefer Wilton to Mahon Point.
    Douglas also. They have a "little town centre" feel.

Its fine but its time for it to become something much bigger and better and no amount of updating to the existing building will achieve that imo. Mahon point has chronic access / parking issues during busy hours, I rarely go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Without going too far off-topic....IMO wilton has a 'shopping centre' feel to it and that's what they should re-develop. MP is a 'mall' with all the misery* that goes with it.....

*Again, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Well said. We should all be allowed to agree/disagree with people in a constructive manner in this thread.

Personally for me it's one of the only recent proposed developments that I'm not a fan of. However, I do welcome that it is getting developed and it's a lot better than the derelict site that's there at the moment. Lets hope we see progress and it's not yet another site with planning without progression.

I like it too. It’s a bold statement. I think it will look a bit less “out there” when the whole redevelopment of the area is finished.

Without going too far off-topic....IMO wilton has a 'shopping centre' feel to it and that's what they should re-develop. MP is a 'mall' with all the misery* that goes with it.....

Myself and herself were talking about MP vs Douglas SC the other day. I think the difference is that because of the cinema, restaurants, fast food, etc, MP is more of a “destination” than Douglas. On a wet weekend, or even on a sunny weekend, parents being kids there for a few hours peace. As you say, it’s like a small American mall (and a bit depressing for it). But you don’t tend to have families passing the time by strolling aimlessly around Douglas SC. Gives it a different feel. My only gripe with Douglas SC is that I hate the Tesco in there. Why on Earth can’t it have some windows to the outside World?

Custom House Tower appealed....

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308596.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

:eek::eek::eek:

Never saw that coming

Why does it always take so long, in this country??
    The serial objectors use this delay as a weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fgs :( decision now won't be until 22nd March.

Advertisement