Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Mav11 wrote: »
    I worked there as a postman until they moved to Ellington st in the early 80’s. The red brick facing the river is definitely worth keeping. I thought that had been developed into apartments?

Yeah, the redbrick building on the quayside (Bridge House) is a separate building (apartments and 1 ground-floor office) and is unaffected by the new development. Other than having views spoiled / light reduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don’t think so. I think you’re talking about the Unity garage on Alfred st./lower rd.?

Nope.
    Still pretty sure that that site on Brian Boru Street was a tiny filling station for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, the redbrick building on the quayside (Bridge House) is a separate building (apartments and 1 ground-floor office) and is unaffected by the new development. Other than having views spoiled / light reduced!

Some friends of mine lived there for a few years in one of the ones with the bay windows, from memory I'd say they'd have traded the reduction in light from the back for the absence of bowling ball noise :) The big south facing window made all the difference at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Nope.
    Still pretty sure that that site on Brian Boru Street was a tiny filling station for some time.

Certainly not after the mid 70's. I can remember going in there everyday for the paper. Maybe before that?

Certainly not after the mid 70's. I can remember going in there everyday for the paper. Maybe before that?

I'd swear that I filled a car there and I didn't have a licence before 1989.

Anyone else remember a tiny filling station on Brian Boru Street?

• Advertisement

Are you confusing it with Clontarf St?

Are you confusing it with Clontarf St?

No.
    This one you drove in, off the road.
    Probably only room for one car.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced of its existence.
    Someone else must remember it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I worked there as a postman until they moved to Ellington st in the early 80’s. The red brick facing the river is definitely worth keeping. I thought that had been developed into apartments?

The red brick building is beautiful and you're correct it was converted into apartments back in the 90's. The wall they intend keeping is the one between that and what was the Coliseum, you'd have been able to see into the bowling centre through the large windows from Brian Boru St. I can't see the value of keeping it.

No.
    This one you drove in, off the road.
    Probably only room for one car.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced of its existence.
    Someone else must remember it?

Must have been the Unity garage so, on the junction of Alfred st and lower rd. You had to drive into that from the road. Very tight it was.

Must have been the Unity garage so, on the junction of Alfred st and lower rd. You had to drive into that from the road. Very tight it was.

No it wasn't.
    It was on Brian Boru Street, on the left hand side and ran to the corner of st. Patrick's Quay.
    It's the site behind the hoarding with all the boats and ships on it.

• Advertisement

No it wasn't.
    It was on Brian Boru Street, on the left hand side and ran to the corner of st. Patrick's Quay.

You may very well be correct. I just don’t remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Cannot remember that either as a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don't remember a garage there either. I know there was one just before the entrance to Paul Street car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Another one near north infirmary amazing all city centre garages gone nearest is south link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No, I think this was a tiny sweet shop/newsagents, not much bigger than a kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Be right back

ofcork wrote: »
    Another one near north infirmary amazing all city centre garages gone nearest is south link.

Anyone remember the small shop across from the North infirmary? Gone years now.

Anyone remember the small shop across from the North infirmary? Gone years now.

Yes. The bare frontage of that remained for a good few years after there was much demolition. They subsequently built apartments there. I think it was last called Kieran's.

ofcork wrote: »

Buckley's I think that was called, next to what is now a gym, formerly soundtrax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

No it wasn't.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LNfYt2pGxjDWctZV7

This pic claims to be 1975, and it's a newsagents then

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    https://images.app.goo.gl/LNfYt2pGxjDWctZV7

This pic claims to be 1975, and it's a newsagents then

That's the site alright. I'm maintaining that that shop would have been still a shop but with a tiny filling station attached. Sometime in the 80s and up to the early 90s is my clear memory.

If you look at the site, there's room for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

No it wasn't.

There was a tedcastles station on Clontarf street. Where the Clayton hotel is now.

I don't remember a garage there either. I know there was one just before the entrance to Paul Street car park.

There were others on the corner of Copley and Anglesa st, one across the road at Rocksavage and the Lee garage also had pumps in that area. Feck sake I must be getting old:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    There was a tedcastles station on Clontarf street. Where the Clayton hotel is now.

I really can't remember that .. but I wasn't up" that end" of town much ,if at all as a kid .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I really can't remember that .. but I wasn't up" that end" of town much ,if at all as a kid .

Would that not have been the pumps at post #6397?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The site behind the hoarding with boats on it was a small newsagents, I remember it vividly as a kid because it reminded me of the kiosk type shop inside the train station. The only pumps in the area in the 90s was the Tedcastle station which was where the siemens call centre is now. I know that one because my Dad decided to run out of petrol on Horgan's quay, and send me up with a fiver as a kid to buy a 2L of coke, empty it, and fill it with petrol. Simpler times when you were allowed to do things that could kill you.

Owen wrote: »
    The site behind the hoarding with boats on it was a small newsagents, I remember it vividly as a kid because it reminded me of the kiosk type shop inside the train station. The only pumps in the area in the 90s was the Tedcastle station which was where the siemens call centre is now. I know that one because my Dad decided to run out of petrol on Horgan's quay, and send me up with a fiver as a kid to buy a 2L of coke, empty it, and fill it with petrol. Simpler times when you were allowed to do things that could kill you.

Just because you don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I appreciate that I am on my own here but please don't categorically dismiss my claim without any sort of proof when it's just your memory versus mine.

I can't date it accurately and I don't know how long it was there but there is no doubt on my mind that that site had a very small filling station attached to the little shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just because you don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I appreciate that I am on my own here but please don't categorically dismiss my claim without any sort of proof when it's just your memory versus mine.

I can't date it accurately and I don't know how long it was there but there is no doubt on my mind that that site had a very small filling station attached to the little shop.

I never remember a station there but do remember the station across from the Siemens building that closed circa 2005.

Your opinion shouldn’t be dismissed but no one else here can remember what you’re saying. When do you believe it was last open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I never remember a station there but do remember the station across from the Siemens building that closed circa 2005.

Your opinion shouldn’t be dismissed but no one else here can remember what you’re saying. When do you believe it was last open?
    Here's a picture from 1976, is it the shop on the right here that we're thinking had a filling station outside it?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=20_x1=100_y1=81.81818181818181__image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Here's a picture from 1976, is it the shop on the right here that we're thinking had a filling station outside it?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=20_x1=100_y1=81.81818181818181__image.jpg

I only remember from the mid 80s so I’ll take a pass on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

No it wasn't.

I think you are incorrect, there was a newsagent / tiny shop but never a petrol pump on that site. Beyond what was the Dogs Home and then S-Tyres on Clontarf Street there were petrol pumps in the 70's

Advertisement