Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Here's a picture from 1976, is it the shop on the right here that we're thinking had a filling station outside it?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=20_x1=100_y1=81.81818181818181__image.jpg

Yes, this is the site I'm talking about.
    It would seem that at that date, there was no filling station.

I can't date it accurately or say how long it was there but I'd say that claiming it was there in 1990 is a fairly safe bet.
    My guess is from late 80's to early 90's.

You drove in off the road, it wasn't a case of pulling up outside it. Even when I look at the site on google maps, it still all makes sense as I remember it.
    I realise that no one else recalls this and everyone thinks I'm mistaken but nothing can take away my vivid memory of that filling station on that site.

Here's a picture from 1976, is it the shop on the right here that we're thinking had a filling station outside it?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=20_x1=100_y1=81.81818181818181__image.jpg

Looking at how much it is going to cost to send a LUAS to Kent, this image depresses me.

Only 1976...

Looking at how much it is going to cost to send a LUAS to Kent, this image depresses me.

Only 1976...

It's a great shot.
    I distinctly remember those tracks still on the road.
    I'd say it was well into the 80's before they finally removed them.
    They continued on across the two bridges.
    I also remember the big constructions with windows on top of both bridges.
    I never remember seeing these bridges lifted, though.

It's a great shot.

The tracks were down well into the 80's as I can remember them there too, as a smallie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wonderful shot, where would I find the original file online? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wonderful shot, where would I find the original file online? :)

I don't have an original, just found it on an Echo article when googling this morning, 2 other pics on the site including one of the tracks going over the bridge.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Coffee-to-go-on-Corks-historic-old-rail-line-5d3287ac-e23a-413c-9451-d816d92ffa7b-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes, this is the site I'm talking about.
    It would seem that at that date, there was no filling station.

I can't date it accurately or say how long it was there but I'd say that claiming it was there in 1990 is a fairly safe bet.
    My guess is from late 80's to early 90's.

You drove in off the road, it wasn't a case of pulling up outside it. Even when I look at the site on google maps, it still all makes sense as I remember it.
    I realise that no one else recalls this and everyone thinks I'm mistaken but nothing can take away my vivid memory of that filling station on that site.

Isn't there a yard or gateway on Brian boru street just before the old railway cutting , in my head it may have had either a petrol pump or weigh bridge or something like that ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I don't have an original, just found it on an Echo article when googling this morning, 2 other pics on the site including one of the tracks going over the bridge.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Coffee-to-go-on-Corks-historic-old-rail-line-5d3287ac-e23a-413c-9451-d816d92ffa7b-ds

Fantastic, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It's a great shot.

I can remember the trains running across the bridges in the early 1970's. One time, my brother and I were in the rear of the family estate when a train came right up behind us as we were waiting at the lights and let out a blast on the horn. My brother an I scrambled into the relative safety of the back seat.

Re: the filling station. It was blue and white wasn't it? A friend of mine worked there in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I'd swear it was on Brian Boru street as a good friend of mine lived on Wellington Road at the time I'd swing by the filling station as I passed to see my other mate who worked there.

There used to be another mini filling station on Patrick's Quay where the car park is now. Again, a friend of mine worked there for a time in the mid 1980's. There were two or three pumps outside on the edge of the pavement. Shell I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Only 1976...

That's a great pic, I'm old enough to remember seeing that. As a kid I thought it was bizarre to a a locomotive coming down the middle of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Seamai wrote: »
    That's a great pic, I'm old enough to remember seeing that. As a kid I thought it was bizarre to a a locomotive coming down the middle of the street.

Likewise. I can't remember the number of times that I fell off my bike on Brian Boru bridge when the wheel got stuck in the track. :D

Re: the filling station. It was blue and white wasn't it? A friend of mine worked there in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I'd swear it was on Brian Boru street as a good friend of mine lived on Wellington Road at the time I'd swing by the filling station as I passed to see my other mate who worked there.

Perhaps I'm not losing my mind!

Anyone else remember this (maybe 2 of us have lost our minds)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

I only remember from the mid 80s so I’ll take a pass on this one.

Do they look like two drains in the little area in front of the shop, or might they be where petrol pumps were removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think I remember that petrol station too. It may have been Tedcastles/TOP branded but possibly I'm thinking of another similar one nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I think I remember that petrol station too. It may have been Tedcastles/TOP branded but possibly I'm thinking of another similar one nearby.

I believe it was a Tedcastles/TOP service station you may be referring is the corner entrance to the Clayton Hotel Cork City (ex-Clarion Hotel) on Lapp's Quay as Tedcastles had offices also along there and I think there was a car showroom/sales garage along that quay pre it's redevelopment in early/mid 2000's. There was an ESSO filling station opposite St. Patrick's Church which also disappeared around then although; in unrelated circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

You are not losing your mind at all - I used cycle from the old Annex to the Cork School of Music on Wellington Road and come along MacCurtain Street and down onto Brian Ború Bridge in the '80's and my bike wheels used often slip into the rails which was annoying in busy drivetime traffic. The trains had probably stopped going over the two bridges at that stage and I have a vague memory of it but it was probably ended by the late 1970's. I recall the old cabins overhead (with the narrow ladder) and the sound of moving vehicles crossing the bridges as there used be wooden surfaces on the bases which were later replaced when they removed the overhead cabins and I think that's when they first erected road directional signage overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

https://youtu.be/JkfnjkwuaFk?t=1449

vid from 1980 here of Brian Boru street and only the newsagents in view here.

I'm loving this treasure hunt :D

At this point https://youtu.be/JkfnjkwuaFk?t=1702 you can kind of see the Tedcastles petrol station where the Clayton is now. You could drive in there off of the road. I really think it's the one you remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/JkfnjkwuaFk?t=1449

vid from 1980 here of Brian Boru street and only the newsagents in view here.

I'm loving this treasure hunt :D

Wow that is a great video - brought a few things back thats for sure !! I can still smell the engines on those buses !! Jay walking on Panna just as common then as it is now. So funny seeing the bus stop in middle of road to pick up a passenger - imagine that happening today :rolleyes:

I must say the only petrol station I have memory of around that areas is the one that was straight accross from st patricks church ( its a shop now) ! More than sure it was ESSO station as I remember we used to collect stamps for free stuff and think we managed to get one of these https://www.dailyedge.ie/soup-recipe-bowls-3014688-Oct2016/

We used to get petrol from there after mass of a sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You can see a little more of the building in this video around the 5m mark, nothing definite though but it might jog a memory.

Another glimpse in this video starring the Great Colm O'Toibín around 6m.

Those Esso pumps mentioned earlier are spotted at 2:10.

Really interesting how some areas of Cork are instantly recognisable even in the era of steam trains, and some areas could be in a different country. It is worth holding on to some parts of our civil history.

Parking habits are nothing new too if that first video is anything to go by.

• Advertisement

Regarding that youtube video, I'm not claiming that the filling station was there in 1980. What time in the video shows BB Street?

You are not losing your mind at all - I used cycle from the old Annex to the Cork School of Music on Wellington Road and come along MacCurtain Street and down onto Brian Ború Bridge in the '80's and my bike wheels used often slip into the rails which was annoying in busy drivetime traffic. The trains had probably stopped going over the two bridges at that stage and I have a vague memory of it but it was probably ended by the late 1970's. I recall the old cabins overhead (with the narrow ladder) and the sound of moving vehicles crossing the bridges as there used be wooden surfaces on the bases which were later replaced when they removed the overhead cabins and I think that's when they first erected road directional signage overhead.

No one is disputing the existence of any of this.
    What is in dispute is that another poster and I both clearly remember a very small filling station on Brian Boru Street in the late 80's/early 90's but no one else can remember this and many seem to very much doubt its existence.

What we have established, beyond doubt, is that this filling station was not there in 1980 or before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If it's an obscure competition to find the oldest photo of Brian Boru St., here's my entry. (Bit early for any garages mind you..)

tCgmUGy.jpg

p.s. having trawled through a lot of photos of the city lately, my God there are some amazing photos out there. The trams and old cars, the wide-open fields of Centre Park road (back when it actually was a park). The steam packet ships and sailing vessels.

Looking at all the same buildings currently present.

It's damn time that Cork City Centre started to develop. It's been stagnant for over 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭rebs23

It's damn time that Cork City Centre started to develop. It's been stagnant for over 100 years
    Bit of a dramatic statement considering the amount of development that has taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

No no no! Stagnation is character! Boooo....

rebs23 wrote: »
    Bit of a dramatic statement considering the amount of development that has taken place.

In recent times only.

Patrick street is starting to crumble, North Main has, Castle Street, Washington, McCurtain Street all have buildings derelict/falling down/unfit for business or living.
    Grand Parade getting some love, of late.
    South Mall kept going by the level of money in the place but most of those buildings are stuffy as hell, inside.

I'm not saying that the historical city needs to go highrise, the docklands has all the room needed for multi use high rise, but more of works done at the Capital site and Opera Lane would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Actually just noticed too - the above is one of very few photos I've ever seen of the Brian Boru drawbridge raised. Really impressive engineering for its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

In recent times only.

Patrick street is starting to crumble, North Main has, Castle Street, Washington, McCurtain Street all have buildings derelict/falling down/unfit for business or living.
    South Mall kept going by the level of money in the place but most of those buildings are stuffy as hell, inside.

I'm not saying that the historical city needs to go highrise, the docklands has all the room needed for multi use high rise, but more of works done at the Capital site and Opera Lane would not go amiss.

If the owners maintained the buildings then they wouldn't be collapsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭snotboogie

In recent times only.

McCurtain Street was starting to get investment and North Main Street was on the cusp of huge investment when Covid hit.

Advertisement