Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Still not a legal pathway

What do you mean by not a legal pathway? What was actually done? Did some random person go out with paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Large amount from Northside (no rugby clubs on the entire northside of the city)
    Also first club off the tunnel so many people are driving.

No doubt. But I didn’t say all. I said most. I live very close to Con and I see one dad bringing a carload of kids up there from the other end of our street!
    But that is not the point around someone putting in a 24/7 cycle lane down, without correct permissions.

No idea tbh. That work was done in the context of the minor road widening outside the new Wänksbury housing development. I had assumed the developers didn’t do it for kicks and were required to put in the cycle track by the Council. So, clearly, there has been some sort of procedural mess-up which I fully agree shouldn’t have happened.

What do you mean by not a legal pathway? What was actually done? Did some random person go out with paint?

cantalach's post above is correct.

cantalach wrote: »
    No doubt. But I didn’t say all. I said most. I live very close to Con and I see one dad bringing a carload of kids up there from the other end of our street!

Agreed, most local do walk but it does leave the rest of us in a quandary.

The only people it will truly affect are coaches, bringing equipment, and parents of U7s who have to remain on site during training (35+ kids)

Everyone else can walk or drop and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

mean gene wrote: »
    noticed a new cycle lane put up on the hill up from paddy the farmers -the greens in full effect wasters

It's there since at least 2014 going by google maps street view. Car blocking it in the 2019 imagery just to prove the need for the newly added bollards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Re John Redmond street, its' not just the lack of a red surface, there are no markings apart from the outside white line, at all and no signage.
    If it wasn't for the double yellow lines, it could be argued that they put in a parking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I agree it's very poorly laid out on Mulgrave Rd.
    I've asked for improvements there before to make the cycle track clearer and was advised it'd happen when MacCurtain Street works start, which could be years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

mean gene wrote: »
    noticed a new cycle lane put up on the hill up from paddy the farmers -the greens in full effect wasters

May I ask what irks you so much about? Surely more people cycling means less traffic on the road

smurph6 wrote: »
    May I ask what irks you so much about? Surely more people cycling means less traffic on the road

Just looking for a reaction, I reckon.

Look how all the hipsters are so easily triggered!

Re John Redmond street, its' not just the lack of a red surface, there are no markings apart from the outside white line, at all and no signage.
    If it wasn't for the double yellow lines, it could be argued that they put in a parking lane.

According to the 2019 Traffic Signs Manual, which is more legible than the underlying regulations, the single outside line (RRM 022) is sufficient provided the necessary sign (usually RUS 009) is present at the start. A sign at the end is not mandatory but is encouraged. Same goes for intermediate “repeater” signs in long sections of cycle track. Even the bicycle marking on the ground (M 116) isn’t mandatory, just encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rebs23 wrote: »
    These outlet centres depend on cheap land on the outskirts of an urban area with plenty of parking for commuters. Don't see how it would work in a city centre location as the costs associated with land acquisition and construction/development in a brownfield location are significantly more than a suburban location. Anyway retail is hardly a growth industry at the moment, don't think these should be developed anywhere especially not in the suburbs/commuter towns placing further pressure on our city centres.

These things are nothing more than out-of-town shopping malls with a fancy name.

Just looking for a reaction, I reckon.

Look how all the hipsters are so easily triggered!

Class. Let's show all of those politically correct people how edgy we are.
    That's so intelligent!

These things are nothing more than out-of-town shopping malls with a fancy name.

I don't fully understand the concept of the "Kildare Outlet Village" in the city centre. Isn't the entire thing just a car-free surface mall? Or are they advocating for a dedicated factory-outlet area in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I don't fully understand the concept of the "Kildare Outlet Village" in the city centre. Isn't the entire thing just a car-free surface mall? Or are they advocating for a dedicated factory-outlet area in the city?

The idea of these outlets in the states where they originated was a place to sell off last season's stock at reduced prices. They were usually in hard to reach places to avoid clashing with proper malls. From a pricing/stock perspective, I'm not sure how you can have Tommy Hilfiger Outlet on North Main Street and Gentlemens Quarters selling similar stuff for twice the price.

If he's just talking about the building style, that's a different story, while I agree most outlets (Kildare included) is souless, that tends to be because they're built in greenfield sites, off motorways and are usually windy. In a city centre with a bit of shelter it's a different story.

Tough to know what they're planning based on the Echo article

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

As you head up John Redmond Street, from Christy Ring bridge, the cycle lane abruptly stops. What is odd, is that the white line marking the cycle lane's outside edge continues but the area isn't filled in with the red stuff. It's kinda ambiguous whether it is a cycle lane or not. There are, however, double yellow lines there so, either way there should be no parking (there is a lot of illegal parking here).

So, why is this a cycle lane but not a cycle lane?

I have a theory but no evidence to back it up.

Brought that up before always seems to be full of parked cars.

ofcork wrote: »
    Brought that up before always seems to be full of parked cars.

Particularly on a Sunday.

In the U.S. at least, these outlet malls are very different from full service suburban shopping malls. They sell old stock at knock down prices. The gross margins are low so the rents have to be very low. The large outlet malls are often located way outside the suburbs and beside a freeway. The communal areas between the individual stores are usually uncovered - perhaps with a sun shade in the sunshine belt but certainly no a/c or heating - and the parking is single level and also uncovered. I’m essentially describing Kildare Village.

cantalach wrote: »
    In the U.S. at least, these outlet malls are very different from full service suburban shopping malls. They sell old stock at knock down prices. The gross margins are low so the rents have to be very low. The large outlet malls are often located way outside the suburbs and beside a freeway. The communal areas between the individual stores are usually uncovered - perhaps with a sun shade in the sunshine belt but certainly no a/c or heating - and the parking is single level and also uncovered. I’m essentially describing Kildare Village.

But much better prices, than Kildare. Some of the stores there have no real knock down

But much better prices, than Kildare. Some of the stores there have no real knock down

Paddy and Patricia will drive out to any place they hear advertised on the radio, just throw in "boutique" this and "designer" that and a hint of a bargain without needing to have any real bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tk max do more or less that on cornmarket street ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Tk max do more or less that on cornmarket street ..

I've never found anything to like in that glorified jumble sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah , but people who like that type of thing love it ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Conversely, I'd say around 70% of the clothes and shoes I've bought in the last decade or so have been from TKMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Conversely, I'd say around 70% of the clothes and shoes I've bought in the last decade or so have been from TKMAX.

Awful rubbish inside that place. What do you wear shiney tracksuits?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork City Council have tendered for ground investigation works for the Brewery Quarter infrastructure project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/179487/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork City Council have tendered for ground investigation works for the Brewery Quarter infrastructure project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/179487/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Very promising to see "two new bridges" here. Are these at the same location or at two locations?

Level 42 wrote: »
    Awful rubbish inside that place. What do you wear shiney tracksuits?

Nope, I haven't worn a track suit since I was in school.

I've bought some real quality clobber there. Some high end outdoor and ski gear, lots of retro runners, jeans, marino wool tops, hoodies, jumpers, t-shirts and shirts - even socks (after m&s socks went to pot) leather boots - genuinely really good stuff. I find it hard to find anything at all in conventional shops but a bit of time spent digging can unearth gems if you know what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Very promising to see "two new bridges" here. Are these at the same location or at two locations?

One at the South-Western corner (to Frenches Quay); the other on the Western side to Crosses Green, a continuation of the East-West walkway between the Counting House and the Lee Point buildings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/308790.htm

Bessboro SHD filed for 179 apartments. SHD website is at www.gatewayviewshd.ie

Would be nice to see a few of these type developments in the city rather than out there

• Advertisement

IBEC taking 5,000sqft in Penrose One, upto 80% occupancy now. Moving from Douglas Road

Advertisement